Start by marking “When Iron Gates Yield” as Want to Read:
When Iron Gates Yield

When Iron Gates Yield

Paperback, 21st Birthday Edition, 254 pages
Published 1976 by Pickering & Inglis Ltd. (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about When Iron Gates Yield, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Iron Gates Yield

Start your review of When Iron Gates Yield
Natalie Vellacott
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have read a lot of missionary biographies but nothing quite like this.

Geoffrey Bull was sent out from Scotland to serve as a missionary in Asia. He travelled to China and progressed as far as the border with Tibet. He managed to cross the border believing God would have him evangelise the unreached in Tibet. However, shortly after beginning his work, China invaded Tibet and Bull was imprisoned as a suspected foreign spy.

Bull's main problem was that the authorities just couldn't accept that
Yibbie
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review…
This is a beautiful testimony to the sustaining power and love of God. What do we do when all our plans, even the plans we were sure were God’s will for our lives, fall apart? What do we do when we are alone, really alone? Could you lose everything, down to the shirt on your back, nearly lose your mind; and still say, as Bull did, “Thy way is perfect”?
At first, I thought this book was moving really slowly. Then I started to see the picture Bull was painting. Without bragging, he was
Wallace
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I had heard of Geoffrey T. Bull for years and had been recommended his book 'When Iron Gates Yield', but only managed to pick up a second-hand copy a couple of years ago.

Mr Bull's story is quite amazing! a young man called by God to bring the gospel of Jesus Christ to Tibet, but who instead, after just a short while in Tibet, finds himself captured by the invading Chinese People's Army and subjected to imprisonment, psychological torture and torment, and eventual release, for no apparent reason
Paul
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome. It looked unpromising--like an old fashioned missionary story, and it started a bit slowly with lots of descriptions of the China frontier with Tibet which is very unfamiliar to me. But the characters introduced and the rough 1950s missionary life of this missionary gradually came to fascinate me. That a young Western missionary could get so deep into the culture and languages was phenomenal. While some aspects of the culture appear primitive, namely the modes of ...more
Georgia Herod
Jun 17, 2016 rated it liked it
A friend sent this to me last fall, and I began reading it then, but it was not easy reading—pacing is slow. Several times I asked myself why I was continuing, but I have felt strongly drawn to the stories of faithful believers. Perhaps the other two I have recently read gave me added incentive, along with another friend's emphasis on the significance of our stories. No one else but the individual can adequately tell God’s story in his/her life. So I kept reading.

Though I had never heard of
Jimmy Reagan
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Bull was in China serving as a missionary when the Communists moved in. Things were going so well and then it all fell apart. He found himself incarcerated and down at times. He is real in what he felt and tells us so, yet we find His God is real. The Lord made Himself known in ways large and small. When one need would be met, another would quickly arise. Any old book by Mr. Bull will be worth your while.
Nannette Serra
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Apologies to all my friends. Again I got one book mixed up with another. I read "Through Gates of Splendor" and "When Iron Gates Yield" many years ago. When I wrote my review of "Gates of Splendor" I had this book, "When Iron Gates Yield" in mind. I liked both books but this book, "When Iron Gates Yield" was the one that stayed with me all these years. This is a very inspiring book and is the one that taught me gratitude as a young Christian around 1968.
Don
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Geoffrey Bull's own account of a missionary journey through Tibet in late 1940's & his subsequent three year incarceration, torture & attempted brainwashing at the hands of the red Chinese authorities. Great descriptive writing of the people, landscape & social upheaval encountered; but also a tremendous testimony of one ordinary man's faith in God.
Geoff Walker
It is amazing that so few people today know this man's story. Dedicated to his faith and the Tibetan people, he is imprisoned by the Chinese when they invade Tibet. This is the story of his journey of faith and freedom. This is an important story for Christians to read today.
Jeff Shelnutt
Apr 16, 2018
Linnea
Mar 15, 2017
Carlos Rivera
rated it did not like it
Feb 27, 2019