Start by marking “In the Event of My Death” as Want to Read:
In the Event of My Death

In the Event of My Death

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  660 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
They had been six teenage girls in Wheeling, West Virginia. Full of mischief. Acting wild. Having good times. And getting into trouble. they called themselves the Six of Hearts. Then one night things went to far. One of them died. The rest swore to never tell what really happened.

Published December 15th 1999 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about In the Event of My Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Event of My Death

Kelly
Jan 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery/thriller/suspense fans, Pretty Little Liars fans
This one was one of those easy-to-read formulaic thrillers that was...well, actually pretty damn good! The cover of the book looks like a young adult thriller and doesn't beckon you to take it very seriously, which makes it a surprise to read and find out it sure doesn't read like a YA novel.

It's about five friends with a dark secret. They formed this silly little club when they were in their late teens, called 'The Six of Hearts'. The problem, obviously, is that one of them is now dead. You bar
John
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I suppose it doesn't sound like much of a compliment to describe a thriller as comfortable and relaxing, but that's exactly what I found this one to be . . . and I do mean it as a compliment! In the Event of my Death is a rather old-fashioned mystery/thriller of the type I don't seem to come across very much these days -- no sex, no gore, no real surprises except the revelation of the killer's identity -- and I very much liked it that way. If you enjoy novels by the older-school thriller writers ...more
Dolceluna
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
E' il secondo giallo di Carlene Thompson che leggo, pare uno dei più amati dell'autrice...e devo ammettere che non mi ha lasciata affatto indifferente!Ancora una volta la semplicità (ma non banalità) dell'intreccio e la presenza di una protagonista femminile alle prese con le mosse imprevedibili di un pazzo omicida mi hanno ricordato un po' i gialli di Mary Higgins Clark. Sullo sfondo, un'intrigante vicenda che affonda le sue radici in un fienile desolato, teatro di una morte misteriosa avvenuta ...more
Dawn
Oct 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys murder mystery.
Recommended to Dawn by: I read all of Carlene Thompson's books.
Another thrilling mystery from Carlene Thompson. She keeps the story moving at a fast clip and keeps you guessing throughout the story. Just when I think I have the murderer figured out, something happens that sends your thinking in a different direction. I look forward to reading the rest of her books. This author never disappoints!
Kelsey
Apr 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tbr-challenge
A club started by six young girls called the Six of Hearts started out innocent but ended with the death of their friend Faith. Now 13 years later, the surviving five are being picked off one by one. The calling card is the number six and a drawn heart together with a tarot card for judgment.

Laurel Damron, one of the club members, is scared to death by what is happening but the original club leader, Monica Boyd, doesn’t want any of them to tell what happened that night that they lost one of thei
Diane
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Becky Ryan lived in Sinclair 8 years ago. She inherited her Grandmother's ESP ability but 8 years ago when her 14 y/o brother was abducted she had no visions and could not help find him. He was murdered and she felt repercussions from her family and the town because of her inability to help find him.

She left the town and had not been back till this trip to see her Aunt Esther who had been diagnosed with cancer. On her way into town she had an accident due to a vision where she saw from a 7 y/o
Irene Imhof
This was a thriller. Five girls grow up together and form a secret club called the Queen of Hearts.

One of the girls is killed (which they think is accidentally) while they are having one of their clubs "Chanting" and fun meetings in a old barn.

They vow to keep it a secret until one of the girls is murdered and a tarot card with the "Queen of Hearts" is left at the murder scene.

The murder is 13 years later from the date of the death of the girl that died. They are all now 30 years of age.

It is
Afsana
Apr 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-reads
I enjoyed this book Though it was a reread.
If looked at on its own its a great story with and a surprise ending

Who would have thought that someone could be so delusional and so murderous.

If I was to consider it after reading all the others then would say its follows formuler and you knew it would be someone close though I was (having forgotten what actually happened) Thought it was somene else . It was near the end I remembered how faith actually died

But this was one of her earlier books I thin
Kathy
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
A long time ago, six girls formed a secret club called The Six of Hearts. They continued this club until they were seventeen, when an awful accident occurred and one of them died. They never told the truth about what happened that night. Now, thirteen years later, someone is killing them off one by one, leaving a heart, the number six and a judgment tarot card with the body. Can they figure out who the killer is, before they all die?
Tasha
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: its-killin-time
I liked the idea of this book, which was why I picked it up. While I think their were enough characters introduced to keeping you guessing at the same time the characters were not well developed and I struggled with that aspect of the book. The very end was really tough to swallow. The way the murders were done and solved was well done but I just didn't get that "here's the story all wrapped up in a pretty little bow" feeling. I was kind of left searching for something.
Caleb
May 25, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a pretty decent read, a few grammatical/consistency errors and that feeling that the ending was rushed especially that epilouge but other than that it was an OK read. Something light that gave you thrill, suspense, and mystery.
Lori
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
raed when it first came out loved it
Elizabeth
Jun 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
Dull. Boring. Don't waste your time.
Nattie
Oct 12, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: incomplete
I did not like this at all, and I had such high hopes for it. It gave me a headache. I didn't care about any of the characters or anything that happened to them.
Dixie
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good mystery...didn't know who the killer was until last few pages.
Judy
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book hooked me. It started out rather trite, and then got interesting. The author was really good at making everyone a suspicious character. I would read another one of this author's books.
Misty (Red's Romance Review's)
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hooked from the very first page!! Could not put this book down, devoured it in less than 24 hours!!
Colleen
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a good mystery...I thought I had it figured out and I was completely wrong! Give it a try!
Dwayne Wojtowicz
Thirteen years ago, when six wild and full of mischief teenage girls from Wheeling, West Virginia form a group called the Six of Hearts, they feel that they are unstoppable and indestructible. Until one night one of them dies horribly and burns in a fire. The remaining five promise never to tell a soul about what had really occurred. Until now…

Mysteriously, they are being killed off one by one. Old friends and old flames are returning to Wheeling, but at what cost. Everyone is being considered a
Lisa
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it

Now, thirteen years later, someone has decided to kill the remaining Six of hearts. The first to die is Angie, a successful New York City actress. And flower-shop owner Laurel Damron, still living in Wheeling, may be ne
Crystal Berner
Jul 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
I'm actually surprised this has so many great ratings. I couldn't even finish the book - one of only a couple times I've given up on a story. I forced myself to continue reading it but could only make it about 3/4 of the way through. Very disappointing.
E'mon Harris
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was good. It read like an old time mystery and I appreciated that. Definitely recommend it to anyone who loves a good murder mystery.
Elanor Lessien
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
Une lecture addictive, avec un soupçon de mystère, c'est tout ce qui m'a plu dans ce livre même si le début de l'histoire nous laisse supposer que le véritable commencement à débuter plusieurs dizaine d'année plus tôt, on se transforme en mini Sherlock Holmes amateur le temps d'une enquête qui met du temps à se résoudre.

Le club du Six de coeur est un petit club que fonde les enfants quand ils s'ennuient mais celui là prend une tournure tragique, ce qui donnera un fond assez sympa pour la suite
Kelly
Nov 26, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
I would give this book a solid 3.5 stars, as my opinion of it is somewhat mixed. Two comparisons kept coming to mind as I was reading: 1. It's a lot like a Lifetime movie with mediocre acting, only in book form, and 2. It reminds me a lot of the old Christopher Pike books I used to read as a teenager. The writing isn't very sophisticated, the characters aren't deep enough to form any connections to, and the plotlines are a bit cheesy and unrealistic sometimes. However, that said, it was a decent ...more
Francesca
-Poco originale-

Storia sentita e risentita: delle amiche, un cadavere ed un segreto da mantenere. Nonostante tutto ho deciso di leggere il libro e devo dire che all'inizio mi ha anche incuriosita. Poi, però, si dilunga un po' troppo diventando un po' noioso. Non sono entrata in empatia con nessuno dei protagonisti, non vedevo l'ora di arrivare alla fine, solo per sapere come erano andate le cose. Carino, niente di più. Voto 2+
Aug 04, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked this book quite a bit. Although I didn't have that 'I can't put it down feeling', the author did a great job in really creeping me out. I had this sort-of paranoid feeling when I was reading it and if I heard a sound in the house I was startled. I wish I had read the book in the winter because the book itself is set in the winter and there is a lot of talk about the weather within the book......I think that would have allowed me to get into the book more.
Marie
Dec 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
I am loving this author and fully intend to read all the books she has written. Another quick, easy read, written in an easy flowing style. It dragged just a tad bit in some chapters, but overall was a great mystery and I did not see the killer coming at all because there are so many red herrings throughout.
Taksya
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classico thriller tinto di rosa, ma la trama non è prevedibile e il rosa non troppo invasivo. Belli i personaggi e ben descritte, così come le dinamiche che portano all'epilogo. La sola cosa che è facilmente prevedibile è, per l'appunto, la sottotrama romantica, ma questo non distoglie dal giallo e non porta a conclusioni scontate.
Ffiamma
May 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: americana, donne
una serie di omicidi legati a un episodio adolescenziale, un gruppo di donne, la provincia americana e i suoi segreti e le ipocrisie. gradevole- anche se la soluzione è abbastanza facile da indovinare.
Jessie
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting book. There were several different potential killers, you really had no idea until it was revealed. There were several typos, but that didnt take away from this being a great story. I would love to see what else this author has wrote.
  • Now You Die
  • The Animal Hour
  • No Way Home
  • She Loves Me Not
  • The Broken Hearts' Society of Suite 17C
  • Those Girls (Jinx, #1)
  • GoldenGirl (Bradford, #1)
  • Blind Curve
  • Witness for the Defense (Kali O'Brien, #4)
  • Rich Girl, Poor Girl
  • Get a Life (Clearwater Crossing, #1)
  • Without Consent (Dr. Anya Crichton, #2)
Carlene Thompson is an author of suspense thriller novels.

Her first book, Black for Remembrance, was published in 1990 by Little, Brown and was well received. Her books are suspense novels, often with romantic elements and many take place in Thompson's home state of West Virginia. Her books often feature animals, which she bases on animals she knows in real life.
More about Carlene Thompson