Start by marking “Chi Marathon: The Breakthrough Natural Running Program for a Pain-Free Half Marathon and Marathon” as Want to Read:

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  24 reviews
From the authors of the bestselling Chi Running, a game-changing training guide for injury-free long distance running.Injury among marathoners is between 80 and 90 percent. Most marathon books and training programs focus primarily on building stamina—but they often don’t address how running all those miles may be seriously harming your body. Chi Marathon debunks the myth t ...more
Published March 13th 2012 by Touchstone

To ask other readers questions about Chi Marathon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chi Marathon

David
This is the second book I have read by Danny Dryer -- the first was "Chi Running." Since I am planning on running a full marathon this fall, this title was particularly interesting to me. For me, it was more practical and applicable, whereas "Chi Running" was more of a reference on good natural running form. If you are at all interested in natural running, and have run or plan to run a marathon, this title is a must-read. I recommend reading this one from cover to cover, and having "Chi Running" ...more
Julie
Ooooommmmmm just ran my third full marathon and read this while training. Really good instruction about form and about thinking about your energy as a tangible "commodity." I finished my marathon feeling quite awesome; I did not bonk. I attribute this to great nutrition/hydration and following many of the principles in this book. I like that the main focus of this book is about enjoying the sport...injury-free.
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
I picked this up because I attended a one day Chi Running Seminar. I had the Chi Running book on Kindle but I wanted something to bring with me and to write in - so I could take notes. The instructor was really great and I learned a lot. I'm not convinced that this is the "only" method but I certainly took some things away that have helped my form as a runner.

The good:

Encourages you to really focus on form - and the appropriate lean and alignment. The lean was a big deal to me and I still practi
Tamdaqueenhotmail.com
Very similar to the chi running so choose one and read it.
Shelly
Update March 14, 2012: After getting the Chi Running DVD, many of these concepts have become much more clear. I highly recommend getting the DVD to accompany any of the books. I am now adding mileage like I have never been able before and feel great!! I feel like I am finally getting the hang of this program!

February 2012: I read this book through and started trying to apply the principles during my runs. I feel as though you need two people to read it so they can help one another correct their
Renee
Chi Marathon is not just for runners who are training for a marathon; it's for all runners who want to learn a whole-body approach to long-distance and injury free running.
Chi running is about improving your running through advances in your technique that allow you to relax more with less muscle activation.
At times the book can be overwhelming and I felt like I am never going to be able to remember all the small steps and techniques, but watching a video or two on line before heading out to run
Lisa
I'm using this to train for a marathon in late October. This plan has you hit the long distances earlier than other plans I've followed, all the while focusing on form, building a good base for long distance. I've run a local 18mi race about half a dozen times, and its weird to hit that distance two months before a race.
If your goal is to train and remain injury free, this book might help you get there. If your goal is speed, this might not be he best plan for you to follow. I'll update this re
Rob Cantrall
More useful tips for how to train for a marathon -- I added a couple additional takeaways, on top of the Chi Running book that I read first.
Judith
I liked the content but I wish I could know all the information without having to slog through the reading.
Sandy
Maybe if I read every single word I'd have appreciated this one more. It was just so laborious. To. Slog. Through. The Cliff Notes of Chi Running might be ironic, but I would appreciate such a book.
Natasha
I like the idea of this author's "Chi" running/walking. I read the intro and skimmed the techniques in his Chi Running book. I returned that one to the library, and checked out his Chi Walking book. I identified much more with the Chi Walking method. Since I am training for a half marathon, I was very happy to find this book on Chi Marathon- which SAYS it is for walkers AND runners, but the form focuses, cadence, and training all seem to be focused on running, which is a little disappointing fo ...more
Nadia
Feb 07, 2013 Nadia added it
I have a rod and pins in my leg from being broken up by a car as a jogger 3 years ago. I have immensely enjoyed running again-pain free! I did 4 half marathons then picked up this book to complete the full. With less than 2 mos. from race day, I feel fit and confident and charged. Every run is an opportunity to practice the form focuses highlighted in this book which are designed to center and enhance your running experience. Not a fad but a breakthrough!
Leigh
I think I liked the first book (Chi Running) just slightly more, probably because it was a "new" concept, but this one was very good also. I finished it weeks ago and kept flipping back through it reading passages over and over again.

I kept it bedside for nightly inspiration. . . . it got me through my first half-marathon . . . looking forward to learning more about Chi Running. Perhaps a seminar at their Asheville, NC, location sometime soon??
Edna
Interesting thoughts on form and focus. After running for many years they authors do articulate many of the things you learn from long distance running and training. Good info for those starting out on half or full marathons. I did take away some ideas for injury prevention.
Sharon James
I am pregnant so don't have any plans on marathon running but I really need to do something about my constant injuries or running this pregnancy won't be such a happy option. I loved the first book and have the DVD and really enjoyed them also.
K.E.
It has some interesting techniques but it was not the method I was looking for nor does it mesh with my particular style of training. However, I could see this appealing to those who take more of a zen approach to athletic training.
Hank
Jul 20, 2014 Hank added it
The Chi Running thing is very appealing to me, but I'm gonna hold off on rating this until I'm convinced it works. :)
Brian Walker
The book reads like it is soooo simple and you will never have any pain again. I am trying it out, but it is not as effortless as Mr. Dreyer makes it sound. Ten miles still brings ten miles of pain and effort.
cuifen
Aug 18, 2013 cuifen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
A good follow-up from Chi Running with some useful training plans, but if you've already read the first, I don't think there's a compelling reason to plow through this one unless you're a dedicated marathon runner.
Meredith
Read this as part of my half-marathon training and I'm sure I'll return to it repeatedly before the race in April. While I do still have some pain while running, it's really only when my running gets lazy.
Katy
There is a lot of valuable information for ChiRunners training for a full or half marathon. This book reviews some basics from the original book, and then takes it to the next level.
Ric Underhile
A practical and inspiring book that reinforces the many benefits of yoga and meditation as they pertain to long distance running.
Dionne Christie-cunningham
I read it twice! My body is to sore, my lower back is really tight. Chi Running is helping.
Valerie
Excellent book !!
HeidiF
HeidiF is currently reading it
May 28, 2015
Shona
Shona added it
May 23, 2015
Bill Maeglin
Bill Maeglin is currently reading it
May 26, 2015
Fred Masuoka
Fred Masuoka marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Tami Kneeland
Tami Kneeland marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
  • Hansons Marathon Method: A Renegade Path to Your Fastest Marathon
  • Natural Running: The Simple Path to Stronger, Healthier Running
  • Train Like a Mother: How to Get Across Any Finish Line - and Not Lose Your Family, Job, or Sanity
  • My Best Race
  • Run Like a Girl: How Strong Women Make Happy Lives
  • Marathon: You Can Do It!
  • Running for Mortals: A Commonsense Plan for Changing Your Life With Running
  • Marathon Man: My 26.2-Mile Journey from Unknown Grad Student to the Top of the Running World
  • Runner's World Running on Air: A Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven Breathing Technique for Runners
  • Running Through the Wall: Personal Encounters with the Ultramarathon
  • Slow Fat Triathlete: Live Your Athletic Dreams in the Body You Have Now
  • Going Long: Legends, Oddballs, Comebacks & Adventures
  • Mile Markers: The 26.2 Most Important Reasons Why Women Run
  • Duel in the Sun: Alberto Salazar, Dick Beardsley, and America's Greatest Marathon
  • Runner's World Performance Nutrition for Runners: How to Fuel Your Body for Stronger Workouts, Faster Recovery, and Your Best Race Times Ever
  • The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer
  • Washington, D.C.
  • Hal Koerner's Field Guide to Ultrarunning: Training for an Ultramarathon from 50K to 100 Miles and Beyond
ChiRunning: A Revolutionary Approach to Effortless, Injury-Free Running ChiWalking: Fitness Walking for Lifelong Health and Energy Chi Running Injury-free Intermediate 10K Training Program ChiRunning Pain-free Beginner Marathon Training Program (Marathon Programs) ChiWalking Workbook: Your Step-by-Step, 8 Week Instructional Guide to Developing a ChiWalking Program (Your Step-by-Step, 8 Week Guide to Developing a ChiWalking Program)