Start by marking “Chi Marathon: The Breakthrough Natural Running Program for a Pain-Free Half Marathon and Marathon” as Want to Read:

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  233 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
FROM THE AUTHORS OF THE BESTSELLING CHIRUNNING, A GAME-CHANGING TRAINING GUIDE FOR INJURY-FREE LONG-DISTANCE RUNNING

In Chi Marathon, Danny Dreyer, creator of the revolutionary ChiRunning program, highly respected running coach, and accomplished distance runner, takes a whole-body approach to long-distance running—much like T’ai Chi—making ease and efficiency of movement t
Published March 13th 2012 by Touchstone

To ask other readers questions about Chi Marathon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chi Marathon

David
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book I have read by Danny Dryer -- the first was "Chi Running." Since I am planning on running a full marathon this fall, this title was particularly interesting to me. For me, it was more practical and applicable, whereas "Chi Running" was more of a reference on good natural running form. If you are at all interested in natural running, and have run or plan to run a marathon, this title is a must-read. I recommend reading this one from cover to cover, and having "Chi Running" ...more
Julie
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ooooommmmmm just ran my third full marathon and read this while training. Really good instruction about form and about thinking about your energy as a tangible "commodity." I finished my marathon feeling quite awesome; I did not bonk. I attribute this to great nutrition/hydration and following many of the principles in this book. I like that the main focus of this book is about enjoying the sport...injury-free.
Tamdaqueenhotmail.com
Very similar to the chi running so choose one and read it.
Sherri
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the hardest book I've read. Not because it was ponderous, but because it wasn't a simple straight read through. It requires time and effort beyond reading, from learning the chi form and focuses, which is learning how to walk and run again. I have been self-consciously trying to adopt the chi leaning style, stop heel striking and being aware as I walk and it is more difficult than I expected. Pelvic rotation is an experience all its own.

Besides explaining the basics of how walk, breath
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
I picked this up because I attended a one day Chi Running Seminar. I had the Chi Running book on Kindle but I wanted something to bring with me and to write in - so I could take notes. The instructor was really great and I learned a lot. I'm not convinced that this is the "only" method but I certainly took some things away that have helped my form as a runner.

The good:

Encourages you to really focus on form - and the appropriate lean and alignment. The lean was a big deal to me and I still practi
Shelly
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Update March 14, 2012: After getting the Chi Running DVD, many of these concepts have become much more clear. I highly recommend getting the DVD to accompany any of the books. I am now adding mileage like I have never been able before and feel great!! I feel like I am finally getting the hang of this program!

February 2012: I read this book through and started trying to apply the principles during my runs. I feel as though you need two people to read it so they can help one another correct their
Lisa
Apr 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm using this to train for a marathon in late October. This plan has you hit the long distances earlier than other plans I've followed, all the while focusing on form, building a good base for long distance. I've run a local 18mi race about half a dozen times, and its weird to hit that distance two months before a race.
If your goal is to train and remain injury free, this book might help you get there. If your goal is speed, this might not be he best plan for you to follow. I'll update this re
Renee
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chi Marathon is not just for runners who are training for a marathon; it's for all runners who want to learn a whole-body approach to long-distance and injury free running.
Chi running is about improving your running through advances in your technique that allow you to relax more with less muscle activation.
At times the book can be overwhelming and I felt like I am never going to be able to remember all the small steps and techniques, but watching a video or two on line before heading out to run
Natasha
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I like the idea of this author's "Chi" running/walking. I read the intro and skimmed the techniques in his Chi Running book. I returned that one to the library, and checked out his Chi Walking book. I identified much more with the Chi Walking method. Since I am training for a half marathon, I was very happy to find this book on Chi Marathon- which SAYS it is for walkers AND runners, but the form focuses, cadence, and training all seem to be focused on running, which is a little disappointing fo ...more
Melinda
Jun 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fitness-goals
I enjoyed the layout of this book so that I could easily read what I needed and could ignore the rest. I am working on my form, and have found the illustrations and descriptions of proper form to be helpful.

As with any companion book to a workshop or video, I was left with the feeling like I only got part of the picture without the full investment. The frequent references to the trainings and other products were reminders of this lack.
Leigh
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I liked the first book (Chi Running) just slightly more, probably because it was a "new" concept, but this one was very good also. I finished it weeks ago and kept flipping back through it reading passages over and over again.

I kept it bedside for nightly inspiration. . . . it got me through my first half-marathon . . . looking forward to learning more about Chi Running. Perhaps a seminar at their Asheville, NC, location sometime soon??
Nadia
I have a rod and pins in my leg from being broken up by a car as a jogger 3 years ago. I have immensely enjoyed running again-pain free! I did 4 half marathons then picked up this book to complete the full. With less than 2 mos. from race day, I feel fit and confident and charged. Every run is an opportunity to practice the form focuses highlighted in this book which are designed to center and enhance your running experience. Not a fad but a breakthrough!
Chris
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great techniques to run with less pain. They say painlessly, but bigger runners like me will never run totally painless. When practicing the techniques, I definitely do see improvements in my form and recovery time. Getting ready for the longest set of runs in the program, 20+, so we will see, but so far, so good.
John Guenther
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I will be following this approach for my next half marathon and hopeful that I will be able to train without injury. Some redundancy with ChiRunning but lots of good new content in this book as well. Recommended for anyone looking how to run properly and move away from the built up, over stabilized running shoes which promote heel striking and countless problems for runners.
K.E.
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction-adult
It has some interesting techniques but it was not the method I was looking for nor does it mesh with my particular style of training. However, I could see this appealing to those who take more of a zen approach to athletic training.
Brian Walker
Dec 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: running
The book reads like it is soooo simple and you will never have any pain again. I am trying it out, but it is not as effortless as Mr. Dreyer makes it sound. Ten miles still brings ten miles of pain and effort.
Sharon James
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am pregnant so don't have any plans on marathon running but I really need to do something about my constant injuries or running this pregnancy won't be such a happy option. I loved the first book and have the DVD and really enjoyed them also.
Meredith
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this as part of my half-marathon training and I'm sure I'll return to it repeatedly before the race in April. While I do still have some pain while running, it's really only when my running gets lazy.
cuifen
Aug 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
A good follow-up from Chi Running with some useful training plans, but if you've already read the first, I don't think there's a compelling reason to plow through this one unless you're a dedicated marathon runner.
Erica
This book gives very specific and practical advice on how to thoroughly enjoy running and participating in longer road races. Highly recommended for anyone who loves to run and wants to continue racing without injury.
Edna
Jun 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting thoughts on form and focus. After running for many years they authors do articulate many of the things you learn from long distance running and training. Good info for those starting out on half or full marathons. I did take away some ideas for injury prevention.
Sandy
May 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe if I read every single word I'd have appreciated this one more. It was just so laborious. To. Slog. Through. The Cliff Notes of Chi Running might be ironic, but I would appreciate such a book.
Judith
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the content but I wish I could know all the information without having to slog through the reading.
Hank
The Chi Running thing is very appealing to me, but I'm gonna hold off on rating this until I'm convinced it works. :)
Ric Underhile
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A practical and inspiring book that reinforces the many benefits of yoga and meditation as they pertain to long distance running.
Dionne Christie-cunningham
I read it twice! My body is to sore, my lower back is really tight. Chi Running is helping.
Rob Cantrall
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More useful tips for how to train for a marathon -- I added a couple additional takeaways, on top of the Chi Running book that I read first.
Christine
Mar 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Courage To Start: A Guide To Running for Your Life
  • Natural Running: The Simple Path to Stronger, Healthier Running
  • Runner's World Running on Air: A Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven Breathing Technique for Runners
  • Running Through the Wall: Personal Encounters with the Ultramarathon
  • Marathon Man: My 26.2-Mile Journey from Unknown Grad Student to the Top of the Running World
  • Run Like a Girl: How Strong Women Make Happy Lives
  • Hansons Marathon Method: A Renegade Path to Your Fastest Marathon
  • Train Like a Mother: How to Get Across Any Finish Line - and Not Lose Your Family, Job, or Sanity
  • Marathon: You Can Do It!
  • Runner's World Performance Nutrition for Runners: How to Fuel Your Body for Stronger Workouts, Faster Recovery, and Your Best Race Times Ever
  • Slow Fat Triathlete: Live Your Athletic Dreams in the Body You Have Now
  • Mile Markers: The 26.2 Most Important Reasons Why Women Run
  • Runner's World Complete Book of Beginning Running
  • Running the Edge: Discover the secrets to better running and a better life
  • Running and Walking for Women Over 40: The Road to Sanity and Vanity
  • I Run, Therefore I Am--Nuts!
  • A Tooth from the Tiger's Mouth: How to Treat Your Injuries with Powerful Healing Secrets of the Great Chinese Warrior
  • Washington, D.C.