Start by marking “The Oath of the Vayuputras (Shiva Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Oath of the Vayuputras (Shiva Trilogy, #3)

The Oath of the Vayuputras

(Shiva Trilogy #3)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  48,332 ratings  ·  2,671 reviews
ONLY A GOD CAN STOP IT.

Shiva is gathering his forces. He reaches the Naga capital, Panchavati, and Evil is finally revealed. The Neelkanth prepares for a holy war against his true enemy, a man whose name instils dread in the fiercest of warriors.

India convulses under the onslaught of a series of brutal battles. It's a war for the very soul of the nation. Many will die. B
Published February 27th 2013 by Westland (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Oath of the Vayuputras, please sign up.
Ivivid While reading this book, one should always keep in mind that it is a historical fiction. The author is neither present at their conversation nor he…moreWhile reading this book, one should always keep in mind that it is a historical fiction. The author is neither present at their conversation nor he had any proofs that was the exact dialogues they have exchanged.

To move the story forward and just to make up an analogy he used many modern terms through out the book, like nuclear fission, fusion etc. Once again I need to emphasize that this is a fiction and not exact history.(less)

·  48,332 ratings  ·  2,671 reviews

Mith

I am sad. Mr. Tripathi... what happened?

After the first two books, I had high hopes. The writing was good, the plot was good; it had purpose - "Evil" had risen in Meluha, Shiva had to stop it. Simple, yes? Throughout the first two books, we were given the impression that evil, in the form of some not-so-nice people, was lurking in the shadows, ever-growing, ever-menacing, threatening to disrupt life as they knew it,and it must be stopped at all cost.

And then came the third book.

As soon as I sta
Riku Sayuj
Apr 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: r-r-rs

A funky mix of pseudo-science, pseudo-history and pseudo-mythology, The Oath of the Vayuputras marks a new low for this trilogy. Amish ensures that anyone reading this book will emerge with a thoroughly muddled conception of Indian mythology and pre-history. This would be a valuable asset when the movie comes out.

I had criticized the plot mechanism in my previous review by comparing it to an Amar-Chitra Katha. I have to take that back. Amar-Chitra Kathas were really good, in fact. No I would ven
Ramya Narayanan
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
An unfitting end to a wonderful series. What I intend to imply by an unfitting end is that the entire novel disappoints. Not just the end. It does not feel like a book from the same person who wrote the fantastic "Secret of the Nagas" or "The Immortals of Meluha" before that. Amish left the readers on such a high after the 2nd book that he had to hit a home run with this one or else, it was doomed to fail. And fail it does!

For starters, the book is way too long! It could have easily been brought
Dushyant Shetty
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Within the first 100 pages, I was haunted by the feeling that Amish Tripathi probably had the following written on a post-it that he stuck prominently to his screen when writing this book:
1) Tie up all loose ends!
2) Rationalize the legend and all actions around him! Everything must be given a scientific reason, nothing can be attributed to supernatural/superhuman possibilities.
3) Complete the story! Since you promised a trilogy, discovering that there is enough material for a fourth book is a no
Amit Shetty
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
A satisfying ending to a great saga

Let me be honest. When I heard that Amish was writing his third and final novel to the Shiva Trilogy, I was kinda relieved. Thinking that we would finally get some closure to Shiva's life, I greedily picked up the book and went through with it. Now as I have turned the final page of India's most successful series in recent times, I sincerely wish it had gone on just a bit longer.

The first 200 pages or so were quite boring and honest to God, I was planning to
peachygirl
Was it really written by the same Amish who wrote the Immortals of Meluha? The second book was bit of a let down, but I had high expectations from the final book of the Shiva trilogy.
The author rambles for 500+ pages with boring details trying to find a way to tie down all the loose ends and conveniently forgets the plot! The only part that moved me was Shiva grieving for Sati.

The story had so much potential. Wish Amish hadn't strayed from the original plot.
Manu
Apr 27, 2013 rated it did not like it
"Lord Ram, have mercy!" on those who attempt to read the third installment. It was never the literary genius of the author that made me continue reading the trilogy after The Immortals of Meh. Like I'd mentioned in my review of the book, I thought there was some imagination at work. The trend continued in The Secret Nag (yes, I'm irritated enough to play with the titles) and there was some effort in polishing the language. All of this meant that Book 3 had to be read, but what a horror it turned ...more
Harish Challapalli
Nov 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: every one
Recommended to Harish by: chanchal pati
"The oath of the vayuputras" can be termed as the best and the most probable conclusion for this epic series. Author was successful in blending his fiction with the mythology. All the characters were narrated with a great precision and the sub plots, though a fictitious work, were very close to the actual legend. This requires a thorough research and extreme intelligence to present together.

Speaking about this concluding book, Amish was successful in deciphering all the loose ends and leaving so
Garima
Mar 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
description

Time and Money vacuum. Sigh!
Arpita
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
I read all the three books back to back. Though I liked the first two books very much specially IOM, my expectations really grew many folds for the third one. I was really excited when I started ‘The Oath of Vayuputras’. By the time I reached page no 91 (chapter#7) I closed the book and regretting that I ever started reading it. After gathering some courage next day when I resumed the reading I knew what to expect… sheer b**l sh*t. A big promise to be ended with a big thud and that’s exactly wha ...more
Pri
Mar 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
When I first read an excerpt of "Immortals Of Meluha", I fell in love with the book. The two books were really wonderful. The part I loved the most was the love between Sati and Shiva.

There were many questions that was left unanswered.

1. Kartik is 6 years old, but he acts older. There's no explanation for his behavior.

2.The ending of the 2nd book hinted that Shiva's uncle was a Vayuputra, but that connection was not explored till almost the ending of the book.

3.The Vayuputras were supposed to be
Tushar Gargava
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thrilling, tragic and heart-breaking are the three key-words that sum up my review even before it starts.

The Oath of the Vayuputras is the Final book of The Shiva Triology written by a now improved writer Amish Tripathi. His writing style has been abysmally poor in the first two books, but he picks up the art by this book. Yet, his lack of ability to smooth out his story stays visible.

He struggles to describe the events as they happen in a better format than what he'd used in the past pages. Hi
Richa Sharma
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
i cried and i cried..........i loved it.glimpses of love that shiva and sati shared, the anger and hatred that i generated against daksha and the loss that lord shiva had to embrace was hardcore painful.i fell in love with shiva, his entire charisma and beliefs since the very first day i read meluha, thereafter nagas and now the oath of vayuputras. In all amish is an avid bhakt and at the end of the day i have turned into an avid bhakt..thank u amish for enlightening me with his strong significa ...more
Madhur Shrimal
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
A book with violence and sadness all over. But then It was another great book to read. The description Amish wrote of every incident makes you feel that it is all real. All the relation , connections and events all of them. These three sets of books has totally impressed me.
Good Job Amish
Poonam
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book was an annoying conclusion to a series that started with wonderful promise. It was very overwritten, so much that it missed the biggest strength of the first book in series. That strength, according to me, a fast moving story. A story - not its writing style not its dialog nor words chosen (to tell the story) since they were often cheesy, and at times cringe-worthy, sometimes picked up straight from yuppies' conference rooms. Story and a curiosity what was coming next is what got me go ...more
Dilip
Mar 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Finished one of the most awaited sequels of a book. For those who have read 1 & 2 , they need to finish the series by reading the final one. But, as a standalone book, I think Vayuputras couldnot reach the benchmark set by the earlier books.

For me, there were a few aspects of the first 2 which made it the must-reads. It took a not so often spoken about mythological story, made it into a fantasy fiction and cleverly interspersed with today's world without confusing you. It was fast paced and
Janakee
Apr 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A decent novel and a good enough series.

However... I died laughing when I read the following paragraph:

"The Pashupatiastra was a pure nuclear fusion weapon, unlike the Brahmastra and the Vaishnavastra which were nuclear fission weapons. In a pure nuclear fusion weapon, two paramanoos, the smallest stable divisions of matter, are fused together to release tremendous destructive energy. In a nuclear fission weapon, anoos, atomic particles, are broken down to release paramanoos, and this is also a
Gomati
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Amish has maintained the flow..the same amount of excitement, drama, action and most importantly the story line. Fantastically written and wonderfully woven with facts and myths that difficult not to appreciate it. What I most enjoyed were the discussions between Lord Gopal and Shiva. They were very simple yet held a lot of meaning. The discourses were logical and rational. The introduction of the Vayuputras and their connection to the story is so beautifully done. The whole scene looks so real ...more
Vivek
Oct 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
This was probably the most awaited book for me and expectations were really really high. However the book turned out to be a major disappointment.

While the first two books of the triology were indeed examples of creative best and became a part of my all time favorite collection, third book fell completely flat.

The author constantly emphasized that book covers the event that made shiva - Mahadev - The God of Gods? And what he did to achieve this title?

---------------- S P O I L E R A L E R T ----
Dileep
Mar 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Well, let me say I have mixed emotions. While I was pretty much hooked by 80% of the book, the rest disappointed me a lot. It starts with a roar and ends on a whimper. Clearly the character such as shiva deserved a better ending than the one he received. Some imaginations and conclusions were logical and brilliant, but overall I felt it was a neat endeavor which got a little ruffled towards the end. Keep your mind and heart open when you open the book. And control the sigh as you close it.
Ravi Jain
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
PLOT: 5/5
CHARACTERS: 5/5
LANGUAGE: 5/5
CLIMAX: 3/5

Had little expectations initially. But was a good overall read. The war strategies were brilliant. It was like reading Sun Tzu & Chanakya together. But the ending was very bad. Should have made the ending at par. Seems like Amish was in a hurry to finish up the book.
WordsBeyondBorders
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
At the very beginning of 'The Oath of the Vayuputras' , Amish raises a very pertinent question of what is the tipping point when good becomes evil and vice versa and how does one come to a conclusion about it. This is in line with his earlier 2 books where Amish/Shiva are constantly looking at the concept of good/evil and trying to make sense of it. In a brave move, Amish shows his most important card right the beginning (i.e) the crux of the entire series which is the mythical 'Somras' unlike t ...more
Shreya
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
Massacre. That is what you have done with your final book,Mr Tripathi. I read the trilogy back to back in a span of four days,needless to say how glued I was after immortals.But i have one earnest question for you..what exactly was your plot for the finale?? I mean if Shiva had to use to pashupatiastra,then why take the pains of the first 40 chapters,slashing,routing,scarring and eventually 'ayurvatisng' every character possible? Yes,it was true love,it was vengeance,you couldn't possibly have m ...more
Shyam Sundar
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amish
A journey of a tribal leader , an uncouth barbarian to lord of lord , the Mahadev ! This Fat book gave an epic end to the trilogy ! :) But why amish why ? why in the hell did you make shiva not to smile again ?

The Evil, which has been constantly talked about in the first two books of the trilogy gets finally revealed in The Oath Of The Vayuputras in the first 50 pages of the book when Shiva meets Brihaspati in the Naga Capital, Panchvati. Also, Shiva’s entourage is attacked by the allied forces
Pooja
Feb 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book was highly disappointing. The first and second books were much better. A lot of things were over-explained and repeated a bunch of times. All the deceptions and war strategies of both sides were explained very plainly leaving no element of surprise. Shiva's attitude on learning the truth about Brahaspati, Parvateshwara's decision, and a death, were very unreasonable. The character of Kartik developed in this book and frankly, him and Sati's fight with a group of assassins were the only ...more
Alen Joy
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
The Oath of the Vayuputras.. An epic conclusion... After reading The Oath of the Vayuputras I can simply say that its not the best of the Shiva Trilogy. The only and major con of this novel is over explanations some chapters made me think that I'm reading my 5th standard Biology text book, and Amish continued this over explanation till the end.In my view he can simply end that novel with 50 chapters if he try to avoid the over explanations. Otherwise this book is a good example of brilliant hist ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Oath of the Vayuputras (Shiva Trilogy, #3), Amish Tripathi
Richa
Aug 29, 2012 marked it as to-read
finally i pre booked my copy...i am eagerly waiting.....
Pooja
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 100-pages
Sati's fearless, brave fight is worth watching.
Unfortunately, it was some 30/575 pages long only.
Akshay Aggarwal
Jan 20, 2013 rated it liked it
The Oath of Vayuputras -- A letdown

The first book was well written and slowly it began to interest me. The aftermath of the war and the climax were good and yes, the book was about the Meluhans.

The second book builded upon the first explaining many things and connecting the dots. And the nagas played a very important role. And the book was almost perfect and I couldn't keep it down till I reached the end. The title was worth it and kept me waiting for the third.

I had good expectations about the
Executing whole city for one person's mistake, How will a god justify this act? 14 213 Dec 23, 2018 09:43AM
A bridge between the mythology and truth of world 2 10 Jul 29, 2018 11:51PM
Destruction of Devagiri 4 57 May 12, 2014 12:03AM
Bhagavadgeeta ?? !! 2 59 Jan 04, 2014 07:33AM
jugdement on daksha 7 93 Nov 07, 2013 07:20AM
jay sankar ji-- wonder full creator in this planet 1 7 Jul 25, 2013 06:54PM
Indian Readers: Oath of the Vayuputras, Shiva trilogy 3 by Amish Tripathy 38 182 Jun 22, 2013 02:40AM
  • Chanakya's Chant
  • King of Ayodhya (Ramayana #6)
  • Thundergod - The Ascendance of Indra
  • Kurukshetra (The Aryavarta Chronicles, #3)
  • The Incredible Banker
  • Ajaya: Roll of the Dice (Epic of the Kaurava Clan, #1)
  • Gods, Kings & Slaves: The Siege of Madurai
  • The Lost Story
  • The Taj Conspiracy (Mehrunisa Trilogy, #1)
  • The Virgins
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Arjuna: Saga of a Pandava Warrior-Prince
Amish is an IIM (Kolkata)educated, boring banker turned happy author. The success of his debut book, The Immortals of Meluha (Book 1 of the Shiva Trilogy), encouraged him to give up a fourteen-year-old career in financial services to focus on writing. He is passionate about history, mythology and philosophy, finding beauty and meaning in all world religions.

Amish has most recently written the Shi

Shiva Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Immortals of Meluha (Shiva Trilogy, #1)
  • The Secret of the Nagas (Shiva Trilogy #2)
“Creation and destruction are the two ends of the same moment. And everything between the creation and the next destruction is the journey of life.” 79 likes
“The key question isn't 'What is Evil?' The key question is 'When does the Good become Evil?” 51 likes