Start by marking “Edenbrooke (Edenbrooke, #1)” as Want to Read:
Edenbrooke (Edenbrooke, #1)

Edenbrooke

(Edenbrooke #1)

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  38,707 ratings  ·  8,114 reviews
Marianne Daventry will do anything to escape the boredom of Bath and the amorous attentions of an unwanted suitor. So when an invitation arrives from her twin sister, Cecily, to join her at a sprawling country estate, she jumps at the chance. Thinking she'll be able to relax and enjoy her beloved English countryside while her sister snags the handsome heir of Edenbrooke, M ...more
Published March 27th 2012 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Edenbrooke, please sign up.
Carole I am in a book club at my local library and the last 5 books have not appealed to me and I have only just read 100 pages or less. This one was so good…moreI am in a book club at my local library and the last 5 books have not appealed to me and I have only just read 100 pages or less. This one was so good! I sat down to start it one evening and ended up finishing it the next!
(less)

·  38,707 ratings  ·  8,114 reviews

Start your review of Edenbrooke (Edenbrooke, #1)
Regan
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
so soft so lovely
Yeppers
Nov 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: historical, romance, dnf
Update 12/30/12

Readers, please note that this is a negative review and contains negative elements, namely because I despised the book. I have gotten a lot of negative feedback from readers telling me their opinion and what I should or should not write in the review. Please note that I am not going to change a word of this review, and further repetitive comments WILL be deleted, since they all seem to be from the same people, or at least, focused on the same point. I encourage readers who are unh
chan ☆
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
finally, some good fucking food

what if mr. darcy were more of a flirt & elizabeth was more of a shy anne shirley. that's this book. i adored it.
Kathy
Being the clean romance, Jane Austen lover that I am I LOVED Edenbrooke.

What a fabulous way to spend a morning. Edenbrooke was a book I couldn't put down. I picked it up to read just a few pages before getting out of bed but didn't quit reading until I finished the book. While there may never be another Mr. Darcy it is possible that his twin is found roaming the grounds of Edenbrooke.

Squeaky clean, full of romance, humor and great characters this is a book I highly recommend. Perfect for lovers
Rachel
Jul 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
I will admit that I have an unfair, blanket aversion to "Deseret Book fiction". I'm not sure why or how the stereotypical cringing came to be, but it exists for me, nonetheless. Having acknowledged that, I was already wary at my first introduction of this book, but since I'll try any clean read, more so if it's recommended to me by someone I love, and doubly if there is talk that it is in any way Austen-esque, I curled up ready for...whatever.

I would have to strongly disagree with the general cl
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Edenbrooke is a sweet, unabashedly romantic story set in Regency England. Marianne Daventry, age 17, has always felt overshadowed by her more confident, more beautiful twin sister Cecily. While Cecily is enjoying the social life in London, Marianne has been rusticating in Bath with their grandmother for the last fourteen months, since their mother died and their father took himself off to France to grieve alone.

Grandmother makes an unexpected offer to make Marianne her heir, to the tune of 40,0
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more

Bff and I have a long and complicated history. We were introduced by our mothers soon after my family had relocated to her hometown. My mother, ever anxious for me to make friends, called me over to point out her new friend's daughter, a girl about my age with long, curling blonde hair, wearing a frilly dress, and . . . twirling.

I was not impressed.

This is a story that's been told many times, and not just b/c we did eventually become the good friends our mothers had hoped we would, but
Kathy
Love!

Each time I read this I seem to fall in love just a little bit more. It really is one of my very favorite regencies. I remember when it first came out I was drawn to its beautiful cover, it really fits the story so well.

Marianne is a likable heroine, a bit blind at times and so modest that she couldn't possibly imagine that anyone would chose her over her beautiful twin Cecily. After the tragic death of her mother, she is separated from her twin and sent to live with her grandmother in Bat
Malin
Nov 23, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one, it sucks!
Marianne Daventry is an innocent 17-year-old whose mother died the year before in a riding accident. Her father's scarpered off to France to grieve, her twin sister's in London with family friends enjoying a season, while poor little Marianne is wasting away with boredom at her grandmother's in Bath. Her gran, a cranky and unpleasant old biddy, decides to disinherit her no good scoundrel nephew and bestow her fortune of forty thousand pounds on Marianne, as long as the girl will learn to behave ...more
Holly
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was delightful. The heroine is very guileless, mainly because she is only 17. But she makes up for it with humor and a strong sense of loyalty. This is a clean romance but it's not what I would consider YA. It had a couple of moments that really hit me in the feels. There were also some moments that I wanted to shake the heroine, but in the end I enjoyed this book overall and read the whole thing in a day.
Chantel
 photo Edenbrooke_zpsfgpyiuqe.jpg

I hope you do not let anyone else's expectations direct the course of your life.” -Julianne Donaldson, Edenbrooke

O Edenbrooke, O Edenbrooke!!

There are some books that come along that you know you will instantly love, and Edenbrooke is exactly that for me. Reading this story was equivalent to eating chocolate!!

This book was just delightful! This story had everything you want in a Regency romance; endearing characters, dashing hero's, humorous and quick-witted dialogue, and villains that wi
Sophie
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
(UPDATE: As amazing the second time, if not more!)

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G! I would give it more than 5 stars if I could!

It really was a 'proper romance' like it says - it satisfied, more than satisfied, my romantic wishes and I am such a hopeless romantic!

I loved the whole story and some parts came as a complete shock. It kept me on tender-hooks which is always the best way in a story.

I loved all the major and minor characters. The heroine, Marianne, is the best heroine! Being my age, I could relate to
Anne
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All the hopeless romantics of this world!
Recommended to Anne by: Soph, Alice, Becca, Kathryn, Tadiana, Tweety, Maria, Beth & so many others!! Thank you all!
This book had been recommended to me ever since I joined Goodreads, and by so many people that I have lost count. When it finally arrived in the mail about a week ago, I pounced on it like a tiger and started jumping up and down in excitement. And if it hadn't been for all the furniture, I might even have twirled... ;) Hahaha just kidding, I don't *ahem* twirl.

So, with exceedingly high expectations after having heard Edenbrooke praised to the skies for so long, I plunged in it wholeheartedly, p
Amy
Oct 22, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
I adore Georgette Heyer and her Regency romances and was excited that I might find a new favorite author in this book. I drove my little Volvo home from the library in a flurry of excitement to get started on this book. This is where the story turns sad. I had to abandon this book and I am a little leery of posting my scathing review here because it was recommended by a friend and I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings. That said based on the Goodreads reviews LOTS of people loved this book and ...more
Kristina Brownell
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a very well-done Regency period novel. Other reviews are drawing parallels to Jane Austen. That's a fair assessment based on time period only. Let me share a shocking secret with you...Ready? I do not love Jane Austen novels. There, I said it. I do not love Jane Austen novels. It feels good to have that out in the open. I don't feel light or free when I read those books. I feel weighted down. I don't like the societal customs. I don't find the romance engaging and I am bothered by the l ...more
Melindam
First of all, Apologies to a Dearest Friend of mine who gave me this book as a b'day present and hoped I would enjoy it as much as she did ....

I tried my Dear, I truly did, BUT ..... and this is the BIGGEST BUT EVER .... I had to give up because:

UUUUUUGGGGHHHHH! I CAN'T EVEN...

description

The MC is a surefire medallist in the Stupidest-and-Most Annoying-Heroine-Ever competition & and not even the fact that she is surrounded by nasty b**ches makes her appear less so.

I won't even start on the twirling thing
Julie Carpenter
This is my umpteenth time reading Edenbrooke and I love it more and more each time! Julianne Donaldson is a fabulous author and storyteller!!! If you are a regency era fan this is the next book you need to grab and read! Warning: you probably won't want to put it down once you start so don't start when you have lots going on or you will either putting everything off or rushing to finish it so you can read! Lol.

I love both of the MCs. Marianne is a sweet girl who is hurting from losing her mothe
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
Words cannot express how much I adore this book. I totally relate to Marianne, her insecurities and strengths, and Phillip is the perfect hero in my mind. The romantic tension is off the hook. I can't count how many times I've read it (especially my favorite parts). Also highly recommend the prequel novella, Heir to Edenbrooke.
Cherine
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My favorite read of 2012!! Actually it tops as one of my favorite reads ever. Julianne Donaldson is so a kindred spirit! I am in love with Philip maybe even more than my beloved Mr. Darcy :)
Anne Bogel
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books you all have been telling me to read for YEARS. (I'd be embarrassed to add up how many times I've checked it out of the library and returned it unread.) When yet another due date approached, I finally read it—in a single day!

This is a squeaky-clean Regency romance, strongly reminiscent of Georgette Heyer and often recommended for Jane Austen fans. (I wouldn't hesitate to pass this on to my 10-year-old.)

Fast and fun for Janeites and historical fiction lovers.
Deanne Patterson
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I've read by this author. It has everything you want in a Regency , a dashing hero, a beautiful heroine,traveling,shy looks,stolen kisses, a duel,trickery,kidnapping,rescuing. Ahhh, this book was pure bliss as I could imagine being there at Edenbrooke and experiencing it all myself.
Angie
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is one of those books I hesitate to rate since everyone seems to love it and I didn’t. It’s the same old story with a new title. Self-admitting less attractive younger women unknowing to herself falls in love with dashingly handsome and rich heir to an estate. The same man her beautiful blonde, blue eyed, supposedly refined older twin sister (along with several other eligible girls) has been trying to ensnare for over a year. He falls for less refined twin but has to convince her his love i ...more
Penny Reid
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Even though I spend most of my time rushing around like a hummingbird on meth, I consider myself a true romantic at heart in that whimsical, day-dreamer kind of way. This book is for true romantics. It's not Jane Austen and it is not- necessarily- one million percent historically accurate but it is funny and smart and it made me sigh and my chest all achy. The hero is heroic and the heroine is sweet. I loved it and have already re-read it. It was by far my favorite romance of 2012.
Charlie Holmberg
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely the best recency romance I've read to date. Emotional, clever. I cried and laughed. 100% recommend.
Shannon
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED Edenbrooke. I won an ARC in a blog giveaway and cracked it open yesterday...I was immediately so captivated that I didn't want to put it down. I wasn't able to finish it in one sitting, but rather had to muster the self control to put it down in order to tend to my 21-month-old throughout the majority of the afternoon, but I immediately picked it up again after putting him to bed and read late into the night. I finished the book this morning and I can tell you that I was thoro ...more
Tito
If I could describe this book in one word it would be cute. Honestly while reading I had the most ridiculous grin on my face the entire time. Most of it was because of the dialogue between Marianne and Phillip. Honestly, I have never read of a couple more perfect than these two, and they compliment each other really well.

Marianne's just a normal sweet 17 year old girl who doesn't really see herself as anything great compared to her sister, but as you read, you see that she's endearing, funny, a
Fred Donaldson
Dec 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I don't really read romance novels, so I lack a frame of reference. Edenbrooke tells an exciting regency story while giving insights into the main character. I stayed up really late in order to finish the second half of the book. It really is like nothing I have ever read--in a good way. This book is special.
Cathy
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books of all time! I can't believe I just said that. But I haven't stayed up all night reading a book in a VERY long time. This one did it to me. Why? Donaldson hints at some of it herself in the Q & A section at the back of the book. She loves the Regency Era, (who doesn't) but she wanted to make it more accessible to modern readers, so she eliminated the sometimes entangled 1800's language and kept it simple. She also streamlined the plot for accessibility, leaving out the s ...more
Luisa Knight
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible, romance
This title will definitely stand out in this year's reading. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

It has just the right mixture of everything: think Jane Austen era, hilarious Anne Shirley catastrophes, a flirty and romantic Hallmark male lead and some action sequences from which the leading lady must be rescued. Though admittedly cliche sounding, you truly won't be able to resist this really well constructed story. I guarantee it! I had a hard time putting it down.

Just don't listen to the audio like I did.
Hannah
Yes, a bit cliche at times, but the kind of book you can just put your feet up and enjoy! It was a pleasant, enjoyable book all the way through. The ending was somewhat predictable in one way, but there were very surprising circumstances that really shook things up.
I loved the descriptions of the setting. It made me feel like I was right there.
It's squeaky clean and something I would not hesitate to recommend (although I might think twice about allowing young teen girls to read a strictly romanc
Play Book Tag: Edenbrooke - 2 stars 1 6 Jun 10, 2020 09:56AM
Clean Romance 1 14 Jun 29, 2019 07:28PM
Book Choice 2 8 May 17, 2018 09:07PM

• Seeking Persephone (The Lancaster Family, #1)
  • Friends and Foes (The Jonquil Brothers, #1)
  • The Kiss of a Stranger (The Jonquil Brothers, #0)
  • Drops of Gold (The Jonquil Brothers #2)
  • Lakeshire Park
  • A Heart Revealed (A Proper Romance #1)
  • Becoming Lady Lockwood
  • Courting Miss Lancaster (The Lancaster Family, #2)
  • As You Are (The Jonquil Brothers #3)
  • Lord Fenton's Folly
  • For Elise
  • Glimmer of Hope
  • My Fair Gentleman
  • Longing for Home (Longing for Home #1)
  • Promised
  • The Maid of Fairbourne Hall
  • A Fine Gentleman (The Jonquil Brothers #4)
  • Romancing Daphne (The Lancaster Family, #3)
Julianne Donaldson grew up as the daughter of a U.S. Air Force fighter pilot. She learned how to ski in the Italian Alps, visited East Berlin before the wall came down, and spent three years living next to a 500-year-old castle. After earning a degree in English, she turned her attention to writing. She writes historical romance when she is not busy with her four young children and husband. Edenbr ...more

Articles featuring this book

Get in the mood with our list of the top 100 romances of all time. We narrowed the field by limiting our results to books aimed at a...
“To my unsuspecting love.
When I look into your eyes, I lose all sense of time and place. Reason robbed, clear thought erased, I am lost in the paradise I find within your gaze.
I long to touch your blushing cheek, to whisper in your ear how I adore you, how I have lost my heart to you, how I cannot bear the thought of living without you.
To be so near to you without touching you is agony. Your blindness to my feelings is a daily torment, and I feel driven to the edge of madness by my love for you.
Where is your compassion when I need it most? Open your eyes , Love, and see what is right before you: that I am not merely a friend, but a man deeply, desperately , in love with you.
Longing for you.”
234 likes
“I hope you do not let anyone else's expectations direct the course of your life.” 104 likes