Start by marking “Religion Gone Astray: What We Found at the Heart of Interfaith” as Want to Read:
Religion Gone Astray: What We Found at the Heart of Interfaith

Religion Gone Astray: What We Found at the Heart of Interfaith

Welcome to the deeper dimensions of interfaith dialogue--exploring that which divides us personally, spiritually and institutionally.

"We believe that interfaith dialogue holds the key to a healing that calls us back to purpose and to meaning. We have risked confronting aspects of our traditions usually hidden, and the consequences have been deeply life-affirming. We risk b
Published September 1st 2011 by Skylight Paths Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Religion Gone Astray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Religion Gone Astray

Start your review of Religion Gone Astray: What We Found at the Heart of Interfaith
Ahmed
May 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Arguments are simply not convincing
Brainwise
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a well-written exploration of -- and the interactions between -- Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. The three co-authors (a pastor, a rabbi, and an imam) candidly look at the serious issues of exclusivity, violence, sexism/inequality, and homophobia within their religions' scriptures and traditions, and they share related personal experiences. They also review what they feel to be the core teachings shared among their religions (oneness, unconditional love, and compassion) and use those t ...more
Shirley Freeman
We read this for a book group and I generally liked it -- because I agreed with it. After 9/11, Rabbi Ted Falcon, Pastor Don Mackenzie and Imam Jamal Rahman developed a close friendship and subsequent interfaith dialog. In this book they highlight what they believe are their religion's 'core' teaching (Oneness, Unconditional Love, Compassion) and they talk about areas in which their religion's texts are inconsistent with core teaching. They identified five troublesome areas where they believe ea ...more
Sally
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
A discussion from the three Abrahamic perspectives of some of today's main difficult areas in these religions: exclusivity based on having the only truth, violence justified by religion, inequality of men and women promoted by religion, and homophobia. There is some good material here, which would be particularly useful to people within the Abrahamic traditions (which I am not). Statements like the following about God made me glad I read it: "That name-which-is-not-pronounced consists of the fou ...more
Gaylene
Nov 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The second book written by these three faith leaders, addresses some of the more difficult questions in each tradition. Each author wrote a section on the problems of exclusivity, violence and brutality, inequality of men and women, and homophobia or the denial of legitimacy.
I especially liked the depth of theological insight each author shared in the section following the specific discussion of the four "difficult topics".
There is much to consider in this book and the authors give specific que
Connie Backus-yoder
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As much as I liked the book, there were still some uneasy moments while reading the Muslim side of Interfaith. Reading about the violence of various Muslim groups in the world tempts me to negate everything the Imam shares about the good side of Islam. Yet, in Christian history I find atrocious acts of barbarism each brother against the other of beheadings, burnings at the stake, and etc. It seems we grew out of it, or did we? Maybe Islam will grow out of it too.
Meepspeeps
Aug 02, 2012 rated it liked it
I think the authors helped continue the discussion by tackling difficult subjects across the three major religions such as religious wars and gender inequality. I thought some of the attempts at adjusting the interpretations of offending verses in holy books to be a bit of a stretch. Worth reading in a group.
Marie Laidig
It had some good points, and did explain some of the reasons why these religions do what they do. More of tribal rules than actually spiritual. However, there are parts of the book that get a little too deep for me in theology so I would have to put it down for awhile.
Jean
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent discussions by Rabbi, Christian minister and Muslim Imam on how 3 major religions so often go astray and cause havoc in our world. Not an easy read but worth it.
Leslie Kirchoff