Start by marking “A Very Holly Christmas” as Want to Read:
A Very Holly Christmas

A Very Holly Christmas (Holly #1.5)

3.06  ·  Rating details ·  398 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Shelia Roberts is back with the hilarious short follow up to On Strike For Christmas. This short story will bring you right back to the spirited town of Holly, one year after the big strike! For even more Christmas (this time with a touch of romance) don’t miss The Nine Lives of Christmas, coming November 2011.
Published November 15th 2011 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about A Very Holly Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Very Holly Christmas

Arlene
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: No one...
A Very Holly Christmas was too short of a story to really get to know any of the characters and the intended outcome. I actually had to read it twice to understand what it was all about. Good thing it was free, otherwise this would have been a full on rant. Didn’t really care for it and I got nothing out of reading this Christmas tidbit. :/
Preili Pipar
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
See lugu oli liiga lühike, et millestki aru saada :D
Tegemist oli lühijutuga, mis järgnes ühele ja eelnes teisele raamatule. Ehk oleks võinud olla veidi põhjalikum, et tekiks huvi teisi raamatuid lugeda.
Martha
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was confused as are many who read this as it starts with the first chapter of The Nine Lives of Christmas instead of starting at page one with the title short story.

A Very Holly Christmas shares a quick look at the changed households of two families, the Benedicts and the Robertsons, from a prior book. There isn't enough detail to fully tell what the prior book, On Strike for Christmas, was about although there are hints and this short story reveals positive changes. The story is rather sweet
Never Never Land
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
I got this short story for free on Amazon through a promotion that is currently running.

Sometimes with short stories you pick up one and while reading it you have a feeling like you are missing something. That was the case with this read. While the story was cute and definitely Christmas theme I was so distracted by the lost feeling that it was difficult for me to get through the 19 pages. On Strike for Christmas, the novel that short story follows, is 394 pages long and that explains a lot.

Whil
Frankiejohnny
Mar 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book is a one page teaser to get you interested in a different book "On Strike for Christmas". It does have a Start & Finish point, so it is technically a "story". It is well written and I think it would be worth reading Sheila Roberts other works. However, I was a little turned off, since this was soooo short. (It ends at location 77 of 250... so most of book is a sample of her book "Nine Lives of Christmas". That sample is just chapter 1 and is not a complete story.) Anyways... well w ...more
Stacie
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
This is basically a chapter long and gives a VERY BRIEF synoposis of the characters in Holly after ON STRIKE FOR CHRISTMAS. Note this is a FREE Kindle download so you aren't out anything to read it. If you do the Kindle download, be sure to click your next page tab rather than click on the "Begin Reading" icon. It jumped ahead to a chapter from another book about a cat named Ambrose and a fireman named Zach.

It was a little too short for what I was hoping for. It seemed that it would have made m
Cathie
2.5 stars. Grrr, I hate when authors publish a very very very short story and then use half of it to promote their new book.

This was a cute little story (I've heard longer stories told around a campfire) about Christmas decorating that ends in the usual sappy Christmas cheer. It had humor which I love in a story, but also your typical cliche ending of life is good, everything is fine. I think the author probably actually used a napkin to write this mini mini novella on; it takes up just about th
Wall-to-wall books - wendy
I have to say I was very disappointed in this short story. It wasn't even really a short story, it was more like a blurb! There was no story to it. No character development, no real setting and no plot. AND... honestly when I came to "The End" I thought the story was just saying the end, I thought there was more! I flipped forward, then back, the forward, then back again, and thought "Wow!, That's really it?!"
Mary
Dec 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
I think it's a lead in to Sheila Roberts' new book The Nine Lives of Christmas (which I hope to read). More a preview instead of an actual short story, in my opinion. It was (is still?) a Kindle freebie.
Janet
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a great book but a very short story. It let me wanting to know more.
Bonnie
Review to come.
Melissa
Jan 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Wish Shelia Roberts would write a full novel with these characters! Loved the very short (19 pages) read though. Can get it free at amazon on your kindle.
Pragya
Read more reviews at Reviewing Shelf.

Another one I picked up for a short, quick read for Ho-Ho-Ho Read-A-Thon but I didn’t realize it was THAT short! It ended before it even began. I think this was meant as a little quickie by the side in collaboration with another book. So reading this on its own doesn’t really make much sense.

But had it been a murder mystery instead of romance, I might have liked it better. Lol. Yeah yeah, I know expecting murder in a Christmas-y read. But well, wouldn’t that
Linda
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
A short story that had promise but ended abruptly with little satisfaction. While the Kindle book I bought was called A Very Holly Christmas, this was a short story at the beginning and the rest of the book was not about Christmas. A bit of a cheat really.

While I continue to like Sheila Roberts I will be more careful when I find her Christmas books or stories so that I get what I think I am getting.
Iris
Nov 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
Can't even call it a short story. It tells you absolutely nothing about any of the characters. As a matter of fact it kind of just looked like the morning after (or in this case the year after) of a Lifetime Channel movie I say on Thanksgiving weekend where all the women in one small town go on strike for the holidays.
TheReadingKnitter/ Kasey
Jan 14, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook, 2012

Review - Short and to the point. It wasn't that great.
Jacquelyn Smith
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Joy was kind of worried about Bob, after reading his new mystery titled, Frustrated husband plots to murder wife at family's christmas gathering. After she started a strike last year that led to a life changing epiphany for Bob.

Was the whole I have changed thing an acted, or did he really change ?

This was too cute for words.
Merry Christmas
Dee
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Cute little story showing the differences in how people feel about Christmas. It is possible to change or revert maybe would be the better way of saying it. We all have different ways of addressing the spirit of season and joining with the families. Our couples experience some off that change and gives us a glimpse of the love that comes out of it. A little short but a great idea.
Tiffany
Dec 06, 2011 rated it did not like it
This book while it says that it is a short story is not. Beware...this book holds two chapters from books that Sheila Roberts has written. One including the thoughts of a cat. No joke. So...don't be misled...like I was.
KyBunnies
Nov 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who like animals.
Recommended to KyBunnies by: Amazon.com
This was a fast short read. I enjoyed the book until I got to the end and I felt like the author forgot something. That is why I have rated this as 4 star's and not 5. This was a free book in the Kindle store.
Susan Jenkins (Tely)
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
I read this, unaware that it was just a "bridge" between two books. So short it was forgetful and I don't really care to look up the other two books.

If there had just been a little more "meat" to the story, maybe......
Sue
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute

This is a cute story. As a peek into what a reader can expect of stories written by Shelia Roberts it is very promising.
Lisa
Apr 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
Two short stories. I guess I am more of a long story girl. Not very impressed with this book
Anne
Oct 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas, chick-lit
Really short short story. Cute.
P.A.
...
Glenette
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
A short intro to The Nine Lives of Christmas by Sheila Roberts.
Andra Weis
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
A VERY short short story. Cute and enjoyable.
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
I found this to be a major disappointment. I felt as if I was thrown in the deep end and told to swim without the benefit of a lesson. Things just did not make sense to me.
Jen
Feb 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
This was a cute short read
  • Sweet Magik (Klaus Brothers, #2)
  • Siren
  • A Victorian Christmas
  • A Home For Christmas (Angel Ridge, #2)
  • Kiss of the Christmas Wind
  • My Christmas Angels
  • The Everything Family Christmas Book: Stories, Songs, Recipes, Crafts, Traditions, and More (Everything Series)
  • Evergreen A Christmas Tale
  • Holiday Rush
  • The Bite Before Christmas
  • One Imperfect Christmas
  • An Amish Christmas Quilt (Seasons of the Heart #4.5)
  • Crazy Emma
  • A Chunk of Hell
  • Home for Christmas (The Perfect Gift)
  • Cage Life
  • Message for Minerva (Garland of Druids, #9)
  • Christmas Redemption
Sheila Roberts lives on a lake in the Pacific Northwest. She’s happily married and has three children. Her books have been best-sellers, Amazon top ten romance picks, and her popular holiday novel, "On Strike for Christmas" was made into a movie for the Lifetime channel. When she’s not speaking to women’s groups or at conferences she can be found writing about those things near and dear to women’s ...more
More about Sheila Roberts...

Holly (1 books)