Start by marking “Fire & Ice (Icefire Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
Fire & Ice (Icefire Trilogy #1)

Fire & Ice

(Icefire Trilogy #1)

Deep under the City of Glass in the frozen southern land, an age-old machine called the Heart of the City radiates a power which locals call icefire. Most citizens are immune to it, but a few, always born with physical disabilities, can bend it to their will. For fifty years, the ruling Eagle Knights, who fly on the back of giant birds, have killed these Imperfects, fearin ...more
Published October 6th 2011 by Capricornica Publications

Metaphorosis
Sep 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, 2013-rev
This is a book with promise that doesn't quite deliver. The central concept (a font of special power, a revolution with a hazy past), while not entirely novel, is well conceived and offers some nice touches (antarctic location, a steampunk-ish approach to magic).

Unfortunately, the book reads as a not-quite finished draft. It starts in media res, and Jansen takes her time to give us enough clues to put the pieces in place. Some of that is deliberate (the murky background of the last regime change
Leslie Wiederspan
I struggled to read the first 9 chapters, then gave up. For those who want to read it, there are male rape scenes and girl who basically beg for sex the minute they have their first cycle. Oh, and camels are ridden in the snow... Even after reading so few chapters, I still failed to see the plot. Children are kidnapped. And?? .... I don't recommend it.
Wendy Christopher
May 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
It seemed to me like there were only two types of characters in this book; human punching bags who constantly get shafted (both literally and metaphorically) by amoral douchebags, or the aforementioned amoral douchebags who made me wonder why they were supposed to be the 'heroes' of this story, exactly?

The 'hero,' Tandor, is thoroughly unlikable, and came across as more of a villain, to be honest (having a penchant for ripping out the hearts of innocent people so he can turn them into his undea
Milo (BOK)
The Review: http://thefictionalhangout.blogspot.c...

Working in his uncle's butchery in the City of Glass, Isandor knows that he has a strange ability. He can turn animals in to ghosts by cutting out their hearts. He knows it's magic and not allowed and has to stay hidden if he is ever become an Eagle Knight.

Then a stranger arrives in town. He is the sorcerer Tandor and he claims that he can help Isandor become a Knight, in return for a gruesome task: to bring him the heart of the Queen.

As fans o
Nijhia
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
The story takes place in a winter civilization with eagle knights, what I assumed are imperfect people that are born missing parts of them and can use icefire and this weird breeder thing. The story follows too many characters and while the narrator does help decipher them, many of them seem like the same character to me with exception of the character Caro, who is the worst coward of all time.

I found myself not liking the story when it seems so focused on the sexual parts of the culture than a
Al Burke
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Pretty good. Part Handmaid's Tale with a splash of JV Jones and a pinch of Jon Marco, and we have a decent fantasy set in a harsh frozen land. It's a little too humourless for my taste, and all the cast seem too earnest, but the world is interesting and the ending sets the tone for some big things down the road.

The narrator was good, dealing with a number of different characters, yet giving them unique voices.
Brandy
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Right from the start you are thrown into a board game without a rule book and half your pieces already on the table. You learn about the world, the power struggles from the past and the future struggles and the pawns as the story moves forward.

Tandor has returned to Borderland only to find that the Knights of the City of Glass have taken all of the "Imperfects" he has spent the last 15 years rescuing and keeping safe there... or have they? There is one left. A very annoying pregnant Imperfect. N
Craig Jr.
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I just finished this in audio. It's an interesting concept of using "Icefire", and all those who are born a cripple have this magic. And because this kingdom is scared of them, everyone born a cripple is slain. However, way outside of the city, there is a village full of cripples, who a wizard is hiding in hopes to take back over this kingdom. It was an intriguing plot and structure, but this book is very dark and gritty with adult themes and rainbows. I don't recommend to young readers or peopl ...more
Kim Humphrey
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not

I rarely run into books that have no likable characters in it but this book is like that. Carro, who seems to have the most voice in the book, seems to be a petulant and abused coward with no loyalty to his friend. I was never sure as a main character if he was good or not. Some of the other characters were just as confusing. Maybe it's just me, but I like rooting for one side of the other. I won't be reading the next book.
Allan Cox
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This review covers all three books in the Icefire trilogy.

The City of Glass was once a place of wonder, with technologies that made life easy, but the inhabitants have long forgotten how they work. The underlying power of this technology is a thing called Icefire. The origin of Icefire is not explained, only that Thilleians were the ones who could control it and they could perform impressive as well as terrible feats. The Thilleians were born with physical defects and were called Imperfects. The
Greyscotty
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not my favourite and I don't think I'll be pursuing the series. Almost like slogging through a bog. Backstories are almost non existent and character development is like watching paint dry. Could have been a neat idea but...well...you get the picture.
Carolyn Injoy
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a free kindle copy of Fire & Ice (Icefire Trilogy) by Patty Jansen in an Amazon promotion for review. I gave it four stars because it kept my attention & I wanted to learn what would happen next.

It was a world where 'Imperfects' were left on ice floes to be eaten by polar bears. They were able to see the icefire. Tandor, the grandson of a former king has been saving them to help form a revolution against the current regime.

Icefire evidently acts like high dosage radiation sinc
Alicia Huxtable
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic First Book

This book wasn't what I expected but I quickly came to enjoy it. The writing and characters wrapped me up so completely in there story that there was little chance of putting this book down.
Jenn
Jun 16, 2012 rated it did not like it
UGH!! Horrible read. The only positive I could say was that it was over quickly! My full review: http://obsessivebookworm.wordpress.co...
Ali
Nov 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
Yeah... What?
Male rape scene in the first 4/5 chapters. Finished there. Unnecessary.
That and as other reviews have said it's already reading like a haphazard draft.
Bookish Nobody
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
When reading this story, I was a little confused. The story has a plot, though it was a single thread with only a little bit of solid structure. I think the story could’ve done with fewer perspectives, as the five we had only confused the situation. To me, it seemed as though instead of being a well woven story, it was more of a braid with a few threads loose. We were thrown right into the story, with little background information. What little backstory we actually got didn’t really explain much ...more
Colin Rowlands
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a slightly difficult book for me to review, there are a lot of good ideas, interesting characters and a fairly well-realised world but for some reason it just didn't seem to click fully for me, at the same time though there wasn't anything in particular that I didn't like about it.

One possible reason for this situation might be that the characters were mostly interesting rather than likeable and thus couldn't serve as the initial hook early in the book while the rest of the world-buildi
Crystal
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
When a baby was born with a physical disability, a knight would take the infant and leave them on the ice floes so that they could be eaten by wild animals. You see, anyone with a deformity had special powers and those that were born normally did not have them and couldn’t see the Icefire. Women who had come of age were given a special drink that would be able to make them conceive and they did not have to marry just to procreate. Not everyone thought that what the knights were doing was a good ...more
Emireland
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good storytelling in an interesting world

I like the story well enough that it made it memorable and slightly hard to put down.
The only reason it didn't get five stars was there was not enough background as to why the imperfect were hated and why they were being rounded up by the knights. There were parts that were confusing specially the young queen. If the author wanted Carro to be totally pathetic, she succeeded, but then so were Isandor and the queen. All of the characters were flat with no d
Warren Dunn
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it
An interesting introduction to this series, but interestingly, without any real likeable characters. Tandor is out for revenge and has no problem using people to his own extreme ends, so I didn’t think he should win. But the Knights were even worse, holding onto and abusing their power, so I didn’t want them to win, either. The final solution was a better fit, and now the world is turned upside down, which makes me wonder where this is going with the second book. I like that the author’s descrip ...more
Toula
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Audio book review
This is a story full of mystery, decisions and lots of layers . This story reminds me of the ancient spartan ways. If there is anything wrong with the children then get rid of them. This is a very unusual and dark story when grown men force males to not do what they want . It’s a fantasy listen . Be prepared.

Edward performance was great . He did all the tones great all the characters and the voice was strong, smooth
Beverly
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it
My mental interpretation of icefire is something like electricity controlled by an Imperfect person, who can also cast illusions. One of the main characters in this first book of the trilogy is an Imperfect who was neutered by the people who stole the kingdom from his grandfather. So he's out for revenge and to win back the kingdom. Of course. Problem is, he isn't very likeable, so I probably won't continue reading the series.
Linda
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I freely chose to review this ARC and I liked the way Tandor planned his revenge on the Eagle Knights that killed his family and taken of the throne of the Glass City. For years, after the knights abused him, he escaped to save the Imperfect children that were left to die on an ice float. His plan was to gather as many as he could find alive to help him with their untrained gift of icefire. Book one only whetted my appetite for more!
Kathy  Knuckles
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Intensely Different! A Good Read!

I have to say that this is a different kind of story than I have read before. It does pull you in as you go along! There are some aspects that elude me where the fireice is concerned, but I very much enjoyed the story as I kept reading. I hope you will take the time to read this book and the rest of the trilogy.
Melody
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
I tried really hard to finish reading this and to like it. I felt lost the entire time. The background to the story just isn't there. I think if that was more clear, and I was not questioning what is going on the entire time, I would have enjoyed this.

This book has major potential despite what I have said about it.
Kristine Louise Sørensen
Jul 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
Normally I love fantasy. But for the first time I had to give up only a couple of page in. I felt like I was missing something - that is wasn't book one, but maybe book two I was reading. Maybe if I had read the whole thing it would make sense to me, but the total feeling of feeling lost from the start just had me give up. Sorry.
Mary
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
This first novel in a trilogy really has little or no connection to the novella which preceeds it. The characters are the same, but their relationship does not reflect the first book.The story was okay, but I kept waiting for that one moment which connects the reader to the story. It didn't happen. I won't be reading the remainder of this trilogy.
kim caldwell
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Enjoyable read, but..

I enjoyed the book enough to finish, but so much time was spent on building all the different characters that they just sort of came together then the book was finished. Building to a good trilogy or more, but book should have been longer to develop more story line
Sara
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
I would have to say I managed to finish the book, but really only because I was hoping something interesting would happen. The premise caught my interest, but none of the characters seem to really drive any action. I have no idea what the plot line is and the prose did not make up for the lack of a plot.
Norman
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
interesting reading with a different plot. Those with certain defects were hunted because noone could understand them. One man went on the warpath to try and free childlren tht had been taken by Eagle nights. A very large undertaking-
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Q&A with Patty Ja...: Fire & Ice 3 15 Jan 19, 2012 04:32PM

• The God Decrees (Devan Chronicles, #1)
  • Reversion: The Inevitable Horror (The Portal Arcane Series, #1)
  • Lost City (Tales of Lentari #1)
  • Defender (Sanctuary, #1)
  • Draykon (Draykon, #1)
  • The Way of the Black Beast (The Malja Chronicles, #1)
  • Balance of Fate (Delver Magic, #3)
  • Wrath of the Royals (The Darkslayer, #1)
  • As the Crow Flies
  • Crown of Ash (Blood Skies, #4)
  • The Circle of Sorcerers (Mages of Bloodmyr, #1)
  • Vampire's Eve (Vamp Life #1)
  • Zan (Spiritdell, #1)
  • Legend of the Chosen (Destiny's Kingdom #1)
  • Legacy (The Mystic Saga, #2)
  • The Devil's Mixtape
  • Diary of the Displaced - Omnibus (Books 1-3)
  • The Honour of the Knights (The Battle for the Solar System)
Author of Science Fiction and fantasy and non-fiction.

Author of the Ambassador series, the Icefire Trilogy, For Queen And Country series and the Return of the Aghyrians series.

Join the official newsletter

Icefire Trilogy (3 books)
  • Dust & Rain (Icefire Trilogy, #2)
  • Blood & Tears (Icefire Trilogy #3)