Start by marking “Forbidden Mate (Holland Brothers, #4)” as Want to Read:
Forbidden Mate (Holland Brothers, #4)

Forbidden Mate (Holland Brothers #4)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  1,801 Ratings  ·  116 Reviews
Finding his mate should have been Patrick Holland's greatest day, instead it turned into a nightmare with one phone call. His mate didn't want him. His heart broke, but at sixteen he was too young to do anything. The next ten years—ten long years— of Patrick's life are spent at odds with his mate. Split by forces he can't comprehend and a long line of misunderstandings, Pa ...more
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition
Published by Silver Publishing (first published October 1st 2011)

BWT (Belen)
Gigi
Sep 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-mpreg
I was only going to give this one 2 stars because it treated the women in the book so badly, but I'm such a sucker for the they-have-to-stay-separated-to-protect-each-other trope.

After reading all 4 books, I can say that the sex in each book was exactly the same. It was kinda creepy, considering this is a series about brothers.
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
eh the whole reason for rejecting his mate was so weak it was roll your eyes stupid. the flashback scene was super annoying IMO it should have been a prologue not a flash back and still it was just roll you eyes

(view spoiler)
Pete W
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Melanie
Oct 01, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, the series is done and will not be revisited, at least by me. This last book was just silly. Forbidden Mate? Really? How about "Held At Arms Length for No Good Reason Mate. The premise that Jake and the 4th brother, Rick's bonding was rejected by Jake for a remarkably (denied for 10 YEARS yet) ill-conceived reason was just dumb. After a couple of years as someone else stated maybe, but once both men had matured and Rick's brother became Alpha (and his father was a supportive Alpha), to hav ...more
Lexi Ander
Oct 02, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-shifters
The biggest issue that I had with this was the constant rejection and because they are mates then it’s immediately forgiven. Ten years of torture and daily rejection and there is no consequence. Jake could have gotten help. Being a part of a pack means you get to lean on each other and help each other out. That this wasn't done say much about Jake. There was no reason that he couldn't trust in both Alphas’ who had proven their acceptance and tolerance over and over again.
V
Sep 25, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When I read series I always hope the series gets better and better, I'm afraid this is not the case.
The reason why Jake didn't Take Rick as his mate was so silly that this story is a huge disappointment.
You don't expect an alpha mate to be so weak and I was thinking when I was reading this story he really needs to grow some balls. Very weak character and very silly story line.
MsMiz (Tina)
The whole series is crack. Baby twink wolf mpreg crack. Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
Corandra
3.5 Stars
Meggie
Oct 02, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shape-shifters
I can't believe this shitty plotted reason for 10 years of waiting
and staying unmated. My advice to this author, stop writing if your imagination for 10 years of misery stops at this plot. I'm so disappointed I could kick this authors ass.
Serena Yates
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay, shifters, m-preg
Let me warn you: if you thought book three was tough on your emotions, you are in for an even more emotional ride with this fourth volume. Based on the blurb, as well as the hints about Patrick in previous books, I did not expect an easy ride by any means. I mean, to be denied by his mate, the one man who is supposed to love him unconditionally, for ten years is just cruel, right? Well, let me tell you, once it becomes obvious why Jake is doing what he is doing, I felt for him as well. What a me ...more
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
My favorite out of the series because I liked the whole rejecting aspect of the story.

I liked the angst that was caused because of Jake and Rick's ten year separation. The fact they are forced into being in close quarters for almost a week created some tension I desperately needed. But I loved the way Rick and Jake acted and how Liam had a part in it all.

Of course, this story isn't without its faults. The reason Jake rejected Rick was a little ridiculous and the conflict associated with Jake's
Susan
Jul 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm

This book was different from all the others. I have a feeling this author does know how to write because the writing was so much better than in the other books.

But I had a hard time liking Rick and Jake. I liked the fact that the author tried to do something else this time, but it didn’t really hold my interest.

Jake and Rick have known that they are mates for the past 10 years, expect Jake doesn’t want Rick. Or so Rick thinks.

The plot why Jake rejected Rick was VEEEERY unlikely. I can
Candice
I waited how long to read this? UGH! 58% of this was a "flashback". I could have done without all of that. Sure the beginning was fine, but after 10 years it got old. Speaking of 10 years. TEN FUCKING YEARS!!!!!!! Jack you are a douche. So he didn't tell Joe or Alex what was going on, not to mention Patrick. He let Patrick think he hated him for 10 years. It took away from the story for me. The reasoning behind the separation was dumb and unbelievable. When we finally got to the present it flew ...more
Tana
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Forbidden Mate (Holland Brothers, #4) by Toni Griffin

Jake and Patrick's story, reading the other books in this series you can see something has happened to these two.

I really enjoyed this story. Fast quick enjoyable fun reads.
Anita Bianchi
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Se possibile, la storia di Patrick e Jake è stata ancora più intensa, rispetto a tutte le precedenti della serie! Sapevo che non sarebbe stata una passeggiata, sapevo che i due avevano un passato, sicuramente doloroso, e sapevo che avrei sofferto ma devo rassicurarvi sul fatto che, si, si soffre ma ci si emoziona molto anche positivamente!
Questo romanzo abbraccia un arco temporale di dieci anni: viviamo con Rick e Jake la scoperta di essere compagni predes
Elyxyz
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Voto: 4.5 stelline
Anche se non me la sento di dare 5 stelle piene, perché non è una storia che definirei eccelsa, dei quattro libri che compongono la saga degli Holland, per quanto mi riguarda, questo si è rivelato il migliore: è quello che mi ha coinvolta di più e la costruzione della vicenda abbraccia un arco di tempo maggiore, rendendola completa, e ho notato una specie di ‘maturazione’ dell’autrice, rispetto ai primi libri.
Avevamo già intuito dai precedenti che la storia di Patrick e Jake sa
Lasha
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-borrowing
2.75 stars.

The fourth book in the Holland Brothers series. And while I wanted to rate this higher, there were some overwhelming issues that prevented me from doing that. Number one, too many POV shifts and the epilogue needed to be completely re-written. I understand the author wanted to wrap up the series in a round-up of how all the characters were doing, but the jarring POV shifts did not work.

Number two, (view spoiler)
Makhda
I re-read it. What can I say?
I loved it! I loved Jake and Patrick!
(I'm upping the rating, originally 4 stars)

Another damn 'reluctant mate' book.

I'm sorry, I have a bad record with that plot. I admit, at first I thought I'm gonna drop this book. But it turns out GOOD. It was a slow building. Really slow if you know what I mean. It's TEN YEARS unrequited yearning. Holy sh*t, right..

And that ending? It's
Annalisa
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Dei quattro libri della serie è quello che ho trovato più... ricco: credo, principalmente perché la storia tra Rick e Jake è più lunga, ovvero non si incontrano e praticamente subito si innamorano, ma si conoscono sin da giovani e quando si scoprono compagni le circostanze li separano.
Jenni Lea
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Review to come
Tori Thompson
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. It feels like all other the previous books were a build up to this one.... What a mess Jake and Rick are.

Rick is the fourth and youngest Holland brother. We have seen over the last three books that he has something going on, but not what. He's been drinking and moody, but won't talk to anyone, just lives in misery. As this book starts we learn that when he was sixteen, he and Jake discovered they were mates. Jake acknowledges this initially, but tells Rick that he won't claim until he is ei
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Gross gross gross gross gross. I don't care what the age of consent is in Victoria province. It's still gross to me.

Why didn't he tell his mate the truth? I don't get it.

I thought we'd just get what happened in the past and then jump to the present not a blue by blow if the intervening years. It's heartbreaking.

Sometimes typos are annoying. Other times they're just funny:

"...Alex said and then ran a hand through his head."

"...his father's deteriorating metal status."

I think this is supposed t
Morgan  Skye
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, we’ve been waiting for Patrick/Rick’s story for awhile now. He’s been looking sad and mysterious and now we get to understand why.

Here’s where this book will either work for you or it won’t. It’s a common plot angle: keep the lovers apart by threatening to kill the boyfriend/girlfriend/their families etc. For me, this totally worked for the first part of the book. I think Jake was truly scared (his father is a PSYCHO!) and he was young and so was Patrick. But… after he grows a bit this wor
FantasyLiving
**A copy was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review**

2.5 Hearts

I have not read the previous Holland Brothers series but this story spans over 10 years, and starts when Rick is 16 and Jake is in his early 20’s on a trip home from university to visit Rick’s brother, and Jake’s best-friend Alex. He barely gets to the front door before Rick is crawling all over him proclaiming him as Mate.

This story is one of those star-crossed lovers stories, where everything works against this co
Ali
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Review An Alisa Audiobook Review:

Rating: 4 stars out of 5

This is a wonderful addition to the Holland Brothers series. Throughout the other books in the series I could tell there was something about Jake and Patrick, but didn’t know for sure. Patrick and Jake have known each other forever and when they learn they are mates they are ecstatic, but Jake pushes Patrick away to protect him causing them both years of pain.

Jake has been watching over his mate from af
Eva
Oct 02, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr_wolves, m-preg
I have to admit that the whole reason behind Jake "rejecting" Patrick was annoying and I couldn't fathom him doing that. As a result I found the book confusing, unconvincing and the plot simply made no sense to me.
(view spoiler)
Christy
I think, in all honesty, this was my favorite of the series. Hard for it not to be when I knew from the first book that there was something going on between Jake and Patrick. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out they were mates, but I wanted the whole story along with the why! When I read this and realized these two men had gone TEN YEARS knowing they were mates and Jake denying Patrick and poor Patrick dying a little more every day......I couldn't keep reading fast enough to figure o ...more
Ter
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
  • Sparkle And Purr (Midnight Matings #10)
  • Faith, Trust, and Stardust (Haven #2)
  • Fur And Flightless  (Midnight Matings #12)
  • Carnal Intentions (Lost Shifters #4)
  • Heaven's Hell (Brac Pack #13)
  • The Link That Binds (Solomon's Pride #2)
  • Luke's Surprise (Shifters' Haven #1)
  • Enraptured (Kaldor Saga, #1)
  • Werewolf at the Zoo (Wolves of Stone Ridge #1)
Toni Griffin lives in Darwin, the smallest of Australia’s capital cities. Born and raised in the state she’s a Territorian through and through. Growing up Toni hated English with a passion (as her editors can probably attest to) and found her strength lies with numbers.
Now, though, she loves escaping to the worlds she creates and hopes to continue to do so for many years to come. She’s a single m
More about Toni Griffin...

Holland Brothers (6 books)
  • Unexpected Mate (Holland Brothers #1)
  • Determined Mate (Holland Brothers, #2)
  • Protective Mate (Holland Brothers, #3)
  • A Very Holland Christmas (Holland Brothers #5)
  • A Very Holland Valentine (Holland Brothers Book, #6)

Romance Deals

• Wynn in Doubt
  • Until Harry
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lethal Consequences (Aegis Security, #2)
  • Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Waiting for the One
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Guardians Of Stone (Relic Seekers, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • All the Secrets We Keep (Quarry Road, #2)
  • Queens of Geek
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Consumed by Fire (Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Off the Record (Record, #1)
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Never Kiss a Rake (Scandal at the House of Russell, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Enslaved by the Ocean (Criminals of the Ocean, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Plain Perfect (A Daughters of the Promise Novel)
  • Love Fortunes and Other Disasters
    $7.09 $2.99
  • On the Record (Record, #2)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
  • The Journey Home
    $3.99 $0.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Losing Control (Kerr Chronicles, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The CEO Buys In (Wager of Hearts, #1)
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Faking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • 'Til the End of Time: A Loveswept Contemporary Classic Romance (Sedikhan)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Where Darkness Lies (Criminals of the Ocean, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Good Girl (Love Unexpectedly, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Immortally Yours (Argeneau #26)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Collection
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Golden Surrender (Viking #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beautifully Forgotten (Beautifully Damaged, #2)
  • Been Here All Along
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Blue Lines (Assassins, #5)
  • Honor Bound
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • One Pink Line
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Redemption (Penton Legacy, #1)
  • Promise Me
  • The Wedding Pearls
    $4.99 $2.00
  • For Every Solution, A Problem
  • Friction
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fountain Of Secrets (Relic Seekers, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Royal Affair (Royals in Exile, #2)
  • Through the Smoke
  • Finding Bliss
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Frozen
  • She Has Your Eyes
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed by His Charm (Dirty Little Secrets, #4)
  • Dancing in the Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Never Marry a Viscount (Scandal at the House of Russell, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire's Secrets (The Sinclairs #6)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Extreme Measures (Aegis Security, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)