Start by marking “The Fannie Farmer Baking Book” as Want to Read:
The Fannie Farmer Baking Book

The Fannie Farmer Baking Book

800 superb baking recipes--an all-new book of traditional favorites and fresh delights from the inspired cook who re-created the Fannie Farmer Cookbook for our generation.

A collection of 800 recipes with step-by-step instructions and illustrations. Each section on the different types of baking begins with a summary of relevant cooking techniques, necessary ingredients and
Published September 12th 1984 by Alfred A. Knopf

To ask other readers questions about The Fannie Farmer Baking Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fannie Farmer Baking Book

Start your review of The Fannie Farmer Baking Book
Julie Davis
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My recent foray into croissant baking made me recall this cookbook which my mother owned but never used. I used to love reading all the pie and cake descriptions. Turns out it also has a well-researched and descriptive recipe for two sorts of croissants. That was my excuse to pick up a copy and settle in to enjoy reading it again. And maybe this time I'll even bake from it!
Marguerite
Apr 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my go-to books, a dynamic that's evident from the food smudges on a great number of pages and the fact that the book opens to some recipes that are family favorites: Snickerdoodles, Loni Kuhn's Devil's Food Cake, Chewy Fudge Brownies -- the last one my default brownie recipe for its chocolate density. I made it less than a week ago. The Seven-Minute Frosting is also a standard. I especially like the variations on a theme that recipe offers. Marion Cunningham's versatile approach h ...more
Monica Willyard Moen
Mar 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nls, cookbooks
For baking and desserts, this is my absolute favorite cookbook. I got it on cassette tape from the library for the blind when I was a teenager. It just about killed me emotionally to have to send it back. I copied dozens of recipes on to braille paper since my only way of reading the book back then was to get it on cassette, and only from the library for the blind at that
The recipes in this cookbook range from a dark rich devil’s food cake two a light and fluffy chiffon pie, from vanilla fudge f
Julie
May 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks, hardcover
This book contains more than one favorite recipe and it's one of the first ones I go through when I'm looking for something difference. The Kona Inn banana bread recipe is so fabulous, my family doesn't want anything else. Not only are the recipes good, but there are a lot of informative and instructive pages, as well. I highly recommend this book if you love to bake.
Dorothy
Jul 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is amazing... if I am looking for a half-remembered recipe from my childhood, this book will have it. If I want anything from a quick dessert or a special birthday cake, this book delivers everytime. Most recently tried the Lazy Daisy cake. Sorry Mom, it is better than yours! Even at high-altitude, no recipe from this book has ever fail me.
Kim
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking, own-it
I read this book years ago and finally found it this weekend at a used book store and scored it for $3.99! Whoo! to the Hoo! Anyway, this has the best one bowl no double boiler brownie recipe in the world not to mention items from places that no longer exist like Shrafts. A family treasure to go back to again and again.
Dianne
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I bought this when the 1984 printing was published and its the baking bible in my house. I've made the Lemon Meringue Pie recipe so many time that the page had lemon curd all over it. And the Chewy Chocolate Cookies are to die for!
Pixie
Jul 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is out of print. If anyone has one they want to gift me, I so want it! I am afraid someday the library copy will go missing or get damaged, and this is one of those books that needs to remain available! Marion Cunningham did an amazing job.
Jamie
Feb 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
alright, not a literary review here, but the best baking book i've ever had. my mom had it when i was growing up, and literally, i've never made anything bad out of it (ok, except for the stuff i've burnt). i think i heard it's out of print and hard to find, but still. good stuff.
Valerie
Aug 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
If you only have one book about baking, this should probably be the one. I use it constantly.
Barbjonesport.net
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fannie Farmer Baking Book by Marion Cunningham

A must for any cook especially the new cook, here all your questions about baking are answered.
Alexis
The Fannie Farmer Baking Book by Marion Cunningham (1996)
Julie Bowman
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
One of the most reliable cookbooks with clear instructions and tasty results.
Nancy
Apr 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks-i-own
My go-to apple pie recipe is from this book ~ delish!!
Virginia Hill
An excellent source for conventional bakers.
M
Mar 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-the-kitchen
Bought this book just for the section on home canning - but find myself referring to it for so much more.
Beth
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
A really fun reference for anyone wanting to look up traditional and/or standard baking recipes. Not a bad staple for baking cookbook collection.
Jackie
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is pretty much the only cookbook I use for baking. Every recipe I've tried is wonderful.
Rebecca
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best home-cooking cookbook ever. If you really want to cook from scratch and not mixes, boxes and cans, this is the place to go.
Liz Gass-Boshoven
This is a great book giving you a range of baking options from yeast breads to muffins. All are well tested and sure to turn out well.
Anne
Marlowe Crawford
Dec 06, 2014

• The French Chef Cookbook
  • Joy of Cooking
  • Keto Diet for Beginners: 30-Day Keto Meal Plan for Rapid Weight Loss. Ketogenic Meal Prep Cookbook Full of Easy to Follow Recipes! Lose up to 20 Pounds in 30 Days!
  • Betty Crocker's Cookbook
  • Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book
  • The Cake Mix Doctor
  • Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook: Feasting with Your Slow Cooker
  • Notes from a Young Black Chef: A Memoir
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • The Gourmet Cookbook: More than 1000 recipes
  • Yes, I'm Hot in This: The Hilarious Truth about Life in a Hijab
Marion Cunningham was born in Southern California in 1922, and now lives in Walnut Creek. She was responsible for the revision of The Fannie Farmer Cookbook and is the author of The Breakfast Book, and Cooking with Children. She travels frequently throughout the country giving cooking demonstrations (some with James Beard), has contributed articles to "Bon Appetit," "Food & Wine," and "Gourmet" ...more

News & Interviews