Start by marking “The Stonecutter (Patrik Hedström, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Stonecutter (Patrik Hedström, #3)

The Stonecutter

(Fjällbacka #3)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  24,690 ratings  ·  1,684 reviews
Scandi-crime thriller from international bestseller Camilla Läckberg, perfect for fans of Jo Nesbø, Henning Mankell and Stieg Larsson.

The remote resort of Fjällbacka has seen its share of tragedy, though perhaps none worse than that of the little girl found in a fisherman's net. But this was no accidental drowning ...

Local detective Patrik Hedström has just become a father
Published May 1st 2012 by Pegasus Crime (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Stonecutter, please sign up.
Elke Vekeman Not to understand what is happening in this book, no.
Not to understand what is happening in this book, no.
The "central thread" through the thrillerseries, is the life of Patrick and Erica's life together, Erica's sister Anna's life.
So if you don't read them in the right order, they first might have a baby and no baby in the next book. That's all.
(less)

·  24,690 ratings  ·  1,684 reviews

Start your review of The Stonecutter (Patrik Hedström, #3)
Stephen Hayes
Jun 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first thjing I noticed about this book was the sticker placed on the cover, presumabl;y by the booksellers, saying "If you like Jo Nesbo you'll love this." And the books by Jo Nesbo have stickers saying "The next Stieg L:arsson". I'm not sure what these cvomparisons are supposed to achieve, except that Jo Nesbo's writing has recently come to look like a rather ineffectual attempt to imitate Stieg Larsson. But Lackberg has so far not tried to imitate either. Other than being crime fiction, an ...more
Phrynne
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another gripping instalment in this excellent series. As usual there are murders and attempted murders aplenty plus an interesting back story, which eventually ties up with the main events and helps to explain why it all occurred.
This is definitely a series to read in order because the character development is huge and different personalities and relationships are constantly changing. There are also several long running stories which pop up from time to time but are not resolved in just one book
Shy
The Stonecutter turned out to be such a tiresome read for me. It feels like the author tried to cover so many grounds in her book till she losed focus and failed to emphasis more on the thing that suppose to matter most: the mystery and the routes to solve it.

The main thing that can be found in The Stonecutter is the neverending emotional outburst mostly from the female characters. To read about their endless self-pity where they blame others for difficulties that they have to face is utterly e
Thomas
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I got me somethin' to say about mystery books.

Over the past several years I've been reading more and more in the way of mysteries, and there are a few things I've noticed along the way. Although there are plenty of mysteries written and published in France, Mexico, Peru, Spain, Russia, and cetera, here in the United States we primarily see those that are written here, England, and the Scandinavian nations and it is those last three styles that I want to talk about. I say styles, because there is
LENA TRAK
I just loooooove Lackberg's style... I've bought the whole Hedstrom series and I can't wait to start reading The stranger...

Absolutely beutiful story... So many twists and turns... Right when you think you have figured everything out another secret is revealed and turns your world upside down... I'm officially a fan of NORDIC CRIME!!!!
Pattie
Nov 27, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
So I'm reading this book randomly taken from the "New Books" shelf at the library and about a quarter of the way through, I thought "I haven't read anything this badly written since ....what was it? Oh, right, that other Swedish book...." and I checked the Author profile, and yes, she was the person who wrote the last book I read that was this badly written. From that point, I just skimmed.

As with "The Ice Princess", most everyone outside the main detective is a one dimensional character. I'm gu
Lena
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is one of the rare crime books I've read that my focus wasn't on who the killer was.The depth of the characters and the thorough psychological analysis gave a singural feeling to this book.In my opinion it portays greatly how important the family is in the growing process of a human and how much it can destroy a person.The story that was about the past although few pages each time succeded in making you realise the burden that 3 generations carried.I wasn't sure about the killer unt ...more
John
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My copy of this novel bears what must be the most vacuous, inane review quote of all time, and from the Washington Post, no less: "One day, we might be identifying Agatha Christie as 'the British Camilla Lackberg.'"

Either someone was given a massive bribe or they were knocking back too much of the hard stuff. Lackberg's work is nothing like Christie's; it's quite simply in a different subgenre. And, although I'm no great Christie fan, she had more plotting ingenuity in her little finger than I'v
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
The Stonecutter is the thrilling third book in the Fjällbacka series. The death in this book is quite tragic. A child is found drowned, and it's a child that Erica and Patrick know since the mother of the dead child as a newborn baby in the same age as Erica's. But, it all gets a lot worse when it's discovered that the child was murdered. But, who would kill a child?

The Stonecutter has two parallel stories, the one in the present and then we also move back in time to the beginning of the 20th-ce
Susan
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am enthralled with this series. That's all I have to say. "The Stonecutter" was the best of the three I've read so far...I am starting the next one now. I can't remember being this wrapped up in a series since I discovered Mitch Rapp or Jack Reacher....and I the Patrik Hedstrom novels are much better written. The crazy families in these novels will stick with me for a long time.
Deanna Drai Turner
Well, I've done it. I finished the 3rd Lackberg Swedish murder mystery. This author really is something. I like her mind and like how she duct tapes together a story....When I first started this one, I thought I might not like it because it dealt with the death of a 7 year old girl. I don't like much of anything where a child comes to harm. But I understood why she did this, as our Protagonist Police Detective's woman just birthed a daughter....so of course this gave him the extra impetus needed ...more
Kenchiin
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, the reason why I stopped reading this series was the overload of unnecessary content in book 2. Said this, The Stonecutter is not only better than its predecessor, but also a good example of well-executed crime fiction.
Cat
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
When a young girl is found dead in a fisherman's net, everybody assumes it was an accidental drowning. But after further examination to the body, it is determined that Sara, the dead girl, didn't drown by accident; she was in fact murdered. And Patrick Hedström, who is the father of a baby girl, is back leading the investigation. And once again he has to deal with deeply disturbed people and unearth the terrible secrets the Fjällbacka's families try to hide.

To be honest, I thought I would have a
Linda  Branham Greenwell
The story moves back and forth between the past and the present - 2 stories. You don;t know why they are connected but you know they must be
The story of the past is about a Stonecutter, and a wealthy spoiled young lady whose lives become intertwined
The present is about a child who is found drowned
Patrick is the police officer on the case. His wife, Erika, recently had a baby and is having trouble adjusting. Patrick and Erika live a few houses from the parents who lost their child - the mother of
Martina
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Is it just me or is the charm of Lackberg's books wearing off? I thought that the third installment in the Fjallbacka series will give us more character development coupled with a good mystery, but The Stonecutter is a lackluster novel with a thin plot and little depth. The two parallel naratives, one in the present and one in the past, didn't offer much in terms of suspense and, well, plot. I will be honest and admit that, at first, the narative in the past, concerning the stonecutter and the r ...more
Jody
Mar 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, crime, nook
I have a love/hate relationship with Camilla Lackberg. On the one hand, I really like her characters, to the extent that I'm disappointed when we don't get enough of a certain one in her novels (especially Erica; since the first novel she's been mostly a secondary figure--bring her back, Camilla!). I love the look into Swedish small-town life, where people let their babies sleep in strollers outside stores by themselves and cops don't carry guns.

And yet ... and yet ... Her writing is just okay.
Mal Warwick
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Camilla Läckberg is Sweden’s best-selling native author, and it’s not difficult to understand why. The series of detective novels she has set in the small seaside town of Fjällbacka features complex plots and three-dimensional characters — lots of them. The Stonecutter, the third in Läckberg’s series, is no different from the earlier novels in both these respects. But it doesn’t quite measure up to them because it’s relatively predictable despite its complexity.

We first meet the stonecutter of t
D.L.
Feb 19, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of books I rate low because they just weren't something I liked in some way. But this one...so many errors, inconsistencies. It was disappointing because I was really excited to finally read something from this writer.
Amanda
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My interest in a series usually starts to fade as the series goes on but that has not been the case with this one. Camilla Läckberg really knows how to craft an engaging thriller. She had so many characters and side plots in her stories yet it isn't confusing keeping track of those characters. I was equally interested in the lives and personalities of most of those characters. One can read any of her books as standalones but it's a real treat to get to know characters in more depth as the series ...more
Em*bedded-in-books*
I read the first book in the series, the ICE Princess, a few months ago and decided that this is one detective. series that I will read in order, as the first book itself gave hints of the character development that would follow as Erica, the murdered lady's friend and Patrick Hedstrom, the police detective fall in love, and Erica decides to stay on in Fjallanbacha, the Swedish village.
This one neatly entwines crimes of the past and present.
Sohra (or is it Sarah- difficult to say as I listened
Kara Hansen
3.5 stars. This is the third book in the Swedish thriller series, Patrik Hedstrom. While the story was enjoyable and kept a good pace, I did find the fact that it is translated from Swedish to English makes it awkward or disjointed at times.
This was a long book- over 500 pages. It felt like the plot was stretched out a bit at the end with a few too many side stories. I know the end leads into the next book.
All in all, good book. I have already read book four, so looking forward to book five!
 Ariadne Oliver
I keep picking up Camilla Läckberg's books because she produces work that are reliably entertaining, have a solid mystery and like-able main characters. This one didn't disappoint. I especially enjoy how she lets her secondary characters grow and change over the course of the series. This is an earlier book than the ones I've read so far and it was intriguing to see starting points/early stages for this development.
Elena
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!!!The best so far!!!!
Bryan Cardenas
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Before start, I have to point out that this was the second book I read from this author, who already is becoming one of my favorites.

When I start a book of this genre, I want it confused me, fill me with fear but also keep me intrigued and guessing. And of course this one did it. The pace of this book is irrepressible and together with my good friend Patrik Hedstrom I had to take several cups of coffee to stay awake all night Reading. School? that can wait.

This genre has become by far one of my
Booknblues
The Stone Cutter
By Camilla Lackberg
3 stars
pp.480

The Stone Cutter by Camilla Lackberg is a compelling book from the beginning when lobster fisherman in the village of Fjallbacka in Sweden pulls up a drowned child. When the police arrive detective, Patrik Hedstrom discovers that he knows the child. Sara, the dead child is daughter to Charlotte a close friend of Patrik's significant other Erica.

Lackberg's style is to move from one character another getting inside of their heads a telling brief vig
Sharon Robards
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
I had a little difficulty getting into this after the first chapter and kept picking it up and putting it back down and read a couple of other books in between. It might have been a mood thing as from half way through I couldn’t put it down. It also might have been because the story has many characters, scene changes, and mini plots, and I did wonder how it would all come together, which it did nicely at the end, with a few story lines left open.

The story centres around the murder of a 7 year ol
Caroline
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: murder-mystery
One of the most masterful Scandicrime fiction authors presents us with a thriller that has all the makings of a movie that will keep viewers at the edge of their seat until the ending credits flash on the screen.

The 3rd in the series, Detective Patrik Hedstrom and his team are tasked with finding the murderer of a young child, found in the water by a local fisherman. The investigation is blurred by secrets held by the family of the young child and by their feuding neighbors. But why is there as
MyzanM
With this book it feels like Ms Läckberg has found her own way. Her own voice. Or it might just be that she managed to get decent editors by this stage of her writing career.

I liked the murder mystery coupled with the psychological aspects from both the present and the past. Our history is after all a great influence of who and what we are today.
The main characters Erika and Patrik are somewhat complex characters, but where Patrik is really likeable and has developed over the books Erika is mo
Jill Manske
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really like Lackbert's writing style and characters. The dialog is always crisp, and the descriptions are vivid and realistic. Once you begin reading, you won't want to put it down until you're done. Like her other books, this one weaves the stories of several people over the course of decades. She drops subtle and not-so-subtle clues to help the reader navigate the plot. It was a tad predictable, but an improvement over her first book, The Stranger, which was very easy to decipher. Her most r ...more
❤Marie Gentilcore
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, 2018, audiobook
I began the Patrik Hedstrom series in 2014. I just finished book 3 and book 10 came out this year so I have a ways to go before I catch up. It was fun to get reacquainted with Erica and Patrik. This book dealt with the body of a young girl found dead in the sea. The mystery kept me guessing and the reveal was satisfying. Book 3 ended with a cliffhanger about Erica’s sister so I will have to get to book 4, The Stranger, sooner rather than later.
Thriller fans: Thrillerreeks - Patrik Hedstrom 3 65 42 Mar 24, 2018 10:19AM
#6 A book that's been translated 3 10 May 30, 2016 08:33AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. The Stonecutter (Patrik Hedström, #3) 1 4 Mar 08, 2013 06:58AM

• Unseen (Anders Knutas, #1)
  • Må döden sova (Maria Wern #3)
  • Killer's Art (Anders Knutas, #4)
  • Sun Storm (Rebecka Martinsson, #1)
  • Flaggermusmannen (Harry Hole, #1)
  • Unspoken (Anders Knutas, #2)
  • Nobels testamente (Annika Bengtzon #6)
  • The Inner Circle (Anders Knutas, #3)
  • The Hypnotist (Joona Linna, #1)
  • Alla de stillsamma döda (Maria Wern #2)
  • Dark Secrets (Sebastian Bergman, #1)
  • El enigma de la habitación 622
  • The Blood Spilt (Rebecka Martinsson, #2)
  • The Nightmare (Joona Linna, #2)
  • The Absolution (Children's House, #3)
Before she became one of Sweden’s most popular crime writers, Camilla Läckberg (b. 1974) worked as a marketing director and product manager for several years. Her first two crime novels, Isprinsessan (The Ice Princess) and Predikanten (The Preacher), received rave reviews from the Swedish press and quickly found a large readership. But her big breakthrough came when Stenhuggaren (The Stonecutter) ...more

Fjällbacka (10 books)
  • The Ice Princess (Patrik Hedström, #1)
  • The Preacher (Patrik Hedström, #2)
  • Olycksfågeln (Patrik Hedström, #4)
  • The Hidden Child (Patrik Hedström, #5)
  • The Drowning (Patrik Hedström, #6)
  • Fyrvaktaren (Patrik Hedström, #7)
  • Änglamakerskan (Patrik Hedström, #8)
  • Lejontämjaren (Patrik Hedström, #9)
  • Häxan (Patrik Hedström, #10)