Start by marking “Lady Maggie's Secret Scandal (The Duke's Daughters, #2; Windham, #5)” as Want to Read:
Lady Maggie's Secret Scandal (The Duke's Daughters, #2; Windham, #5)

Lady Maggie's Secret Scandal

(Windham #5)

LADY MAGGIE WINDHAM HAS SECRETS

And she's been perfectly capable of keeping them...until now. When she's threatened with exposure, she turns to investigator Benjamin Hazlit to keep catastrophe at bay. But Maggie herself intrigues Benjamin more than the riddle she's set him to solve. As he uncovers more and more of her past, Maggie struggles to keep him at a distance, until
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published May 1st 2012 by Sourcebooks Casablanca

To ask other readers questions about Lady Maggie's Secret Scandal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady Maggie's Secret Scandal

Caz
I've given this a B for both content and narration at AudioGals.

Lady Maggie’s Secret Scandal is the fifth full-length novel in Grace Burrowes’ series about the eight Windham siblings; the three sons and five daughters of the Duke and Duchess of Moreland. Like Devlin St. Just (The Soldier), Magdalen – Maggie – Windham is illegitimate, fathered by the duke before his marriage, but welcomed into the family as a child, brought up alongside the ducal couple’s legitimate children and later legally ado
Cecilia
This was a very slow read and it felt unnecessarily long. The hero is of the sweet and giving variety. Most of the plot related to a worry of the heroine's that the hero could've helped clear up right away. Since the worry is not really actually based on the heroine's actions, the title might be more accurate as "Lady Maggie's Annoying Tendency to Wallow in Helpless Martyrdom." I guess it's not as alliterative and snappy, though.
Blodeuedd Finland
Burrowes books are always so easy to read, they just flows, even when you get annoyed at the characters ;) But then again it would not be that easy to get me to marry you either if I just met you.

Maggie is the bastard daughter, still she is adopted and loved. Oh and she is 30, oh yes 30, I loved that. She is firmly in the shelf and she does not care cos she wants her independence. And with a mother who was a courtesan *coughs whore* I do get why she wants her freedom. I like an author that takes
Melanie
Feb 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
REVIEW: What an interesting character Maggie was! You couldn’t help but admire the strong character of this woman who was basically sold to the Duke, who wasn’t even sure that she is his child, yet accepted her as such and loved her as much as all his other children. Only a loving father would be so perceptive about his eldest daughter to say this.

"She’s in want of… dreams, I think. My other girls have dreams. Sophie dreamed of her own family, Jenny loves to paint, Louisa has her literary scribb
Angelc
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing

4.5 Stars

If you are a fan of historical romance and you haven't read any of Grace Burrowes' books yet, what are you waiting for? Her books are so romantic, so emotional, and full of a great big loving family of characters. Her fantastic characters are what makes me keep coming back for more with each new book. I love the style of series where a huge family is interconnected through many different books. Even though this is technically part of the "Duke's Daughters" series, all of the characters
Ilze
Dec 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: grace-burrowes
Lovely hero and some nicely-written parts, but somehow the whole thing didn't really gel for me.

Lady Maggie is supposed to be a financial genius and a decisive, strong woman, but these sides of her were never really shown, just told. In fact, other than her hiring of the hero to retrieve her missing reticule (and it turned out she had a pretty good idea who had taken it, but she never told her sleuth that), Maggie is almost completely passive in the story and the relationship, much like the her
Jacqueline J
Another nice regency by GB. I felt the writing was very well done, the plotting was good and tight. The characterization was good. I loved the hero. Very competent and very much in love with the heroine. This book revolved around conversation mostly with some action but not really very much description. For example there wasn't a lot of telling me what color the morning room walls were and etc., that sort of thing can become very intrusive. So the book was fast moving and I really enjoyed it.
Susan
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good book. Lady Maggie is the Duke's oldest daughter. She is also illegitimate, though he did adopt her. She has been an important part of their family all along. Maggie is very independent and is determined that she won't marry. She has her own household and is a bit of a financial genius. When her reticule (purse) goes missing with some very personal items in it she hires Ben Hazlit to find it. Ben has worked for her family before and Maggie has always intrigued him. In order to find her missi ...more
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://www.longandshortreviews.blogsp...

Secrets rule the lives of both Lady Maggie and Ben Hazlit. They're motivated by the same need—to protect family! The sensual, soul-satisfying love that twines itself around their hearts and holds on tight through the confusion and conflicts brings them from their shadowy personal lives.

Maggie, the illegitimate but adopted daughter of the Duke of Moreland, is a much-loved daughter and sister. But her early life still influences her act
Elizabeth
Apr 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
Have you ever read a book teetering on the edge of DNF? Little things bother you, such as choppy writing, too many side charcters because in a family series we must get to know each member of the family in every single book? Yet, you keep going because you like certain aspects of it (hey, who doesn’t love a red-headed heroine who’s a financial wizard) and you keep thinking it has got to get better. And then you get to the end and not only do you want to throw the book against the wall, you want ...more
Sia McKye
May 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing

I'll be the first to say I've gotten tired of the rash of Regency period stories. Grace Burrowes reminds me why I loved the period. She writes the kind of historical novel I love to read. Rich on details, the setting of the time, dialogs, and nuances. Good story, great characters with lots of inner conflict and insecurities, a mystery to solve, time running out, and an ending that brings a smile to your face.

Maggie is the illegitimate but adopted daughter of a powerful Duke and while she is acce
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
This was not my favourite Burrowes. In fact, it's probably my least favourite to date. I didn't care much for Benjamin. Sort of prickly without any real explanation. The conflict between him and Maggie's was told (she doesn't like people who snoop) but not really shown. It would've been a better novel, in my opinion, if those aspects had been developed more. Maggie's unwillingness to share her problem with either Benjamin or her family was frustrating and inexplicable for one so bright. Essentia ...more
Lady Wesley
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, to-listen
I liked Maggie a lot, which put this book a notch above the sisters' stories.

See my review of the series at http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/....
Jan
Apr 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
3.5 stars. I liked this episode of the Windham siblings. This one was about the eldest daughter Maggie, half-sister to the others because she is an acknowledged bastard of her father the duke, from his crazy days before he met the duchess. But she has been adopted by them and brought up in the ducal household, loved as much as the other children.

But Maggie has a secret related to her inauspicious beginnings and her birth mother. And she battles to protect the Windham family from the sordid situa
Amanda The Book Slayer
This was originally posted at Sisters Unedited

4.5 Stars

Recommend : If you enjoy Historical Romances then give this book a try. You don't have to read the other 4 books to enjoy this book. It can stand alone or enhance the last 4 books of the series.

I fell in love with the Windham's from the very first book The Heir. Maggie is the oldest of the Windham daughters. She also has been firmly put on the shelf for several years and therefore has learned to live a peaceful life in her own home with her
Susan
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I so enjoyed Benjamin and Maggie. ❤☺❤
With so much to do during the busy holidays, I treasured every moment I could spare to read “Lady Maggie’s Secret Scandal”. The Windham series is simply wonderful, and each book holds unique storylines and new secrets and layers to unravel within this family. Grace Burrowes’ amazing works never disappoint, and though the new year begins, I can’t wait to begin “Lady Louisa’s Christmas Knight”.
SidneyKay
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance-regency
Kat Latham
Apr 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Maggie Windham needs help. Her reticule has gone missing, and it contains several letters which could expose a scandal that would humiliate her father and adoptive mother.

So she hires an investigator her family has used before, Benjamin Hazlit, to find her reticule. But she can't tell him why she's so desperate for its return because as she grows to love him, she also realizes that she needs to protect him from the secret too.

I had high hopes for this novel, but to be honest I had really mixed
Bookaholics
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lady Maggie’s Secret Scandal by Grace Burrowes
Historical Romance –May 1st, 2012
4 stars

Grace Burrows sparkles yet again in another heartfelt story between mature characters who find love.

Lady Maggie Windham is the well loved if illegitimate daughter of a Duke. Strong and independent she has taken care of herself, but this in direct contrast to the fear and anxiety she feels about some disturbing notes which she has recently been receiving. When her reticule is stolen, she worries that what it con
A. R.
May 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Wow...um, this book really should only have 2.5 stars....I was kind and rounded up because I thought it had a terrific story line. It had mystery, drama, blackmail, great characters, good dialog....I loved the story, but couldn't get past all the cliche romantic moments. Maybe I am outgrowing the traditional romance genre because I have read two in recent weeks and have been sorely disappointed with the romance element in both.

When I read regency romance - I want regency romance with all its pol
drey
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lady Maggie Windham had the good fortune to be brought up in her father’s household, even though she was born out of wedlock. And she repays that good fortune by keeping her nose clean and her name out of trouble. Then she meets Benjamin Hazlit, and decides to ask him to find something for her.

He’s surprised when he agrees to take on the task. But how could he refuse? She’s beautiful, even if she withdraws from Society. She’s smart as a whip – scandalously so. And she’s hiding something.

I loved
Betty
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Grace Burrowes has hit another one out of the ballpark! The book starts out with a great "hook". "The BLIGHTED, BENIGHTED, BLASTED, PERISHING thing has to be in here somewhere." It would seem that Lady Maggie Windham, the natural (and adopted) daughter of the Duke of Moreland, has "misplaced" something that is very important and valuable to her. She hires an investigator to locate the item. Enter our tortured hero.... Mr Hazlit.
Much of the Windham family make appearances and some are major co
Donna
May 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
I think my problem with this book was that I just didn't really like ANY of the characters. I was just incredibly annoyed with everyone. Maggie was just too much of a self-sacrificing martyr and Ben was equally annoying, with his "secret" earldom. I've found the Duke and Duchess's meddling interference annoying throughout this entire series. I've used the word "annoyed" three times already and that just sums up how I felt when I finished this book!
Danielle
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
I just couldn't connect with this story. Also felt a bit overwhelmed with all of the characters and everything that was going on with everyone. I felt out of the loop. I think I need to go back and start with the author's first book and make my way back to this one, because I liked the author's voice I just felt lost.
Stella Riley
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the first Grace Burrowes I have read and I particularly enjoyed the family dynamic - so much so that I will probably read the others in the Wyndham series.
Jess
This is definitely a book that could have been made shorter by people talking to each other, but fake courtship! I was really into it.
Jessica
Dec 30, 2014 rated it liked it
The actual scandal was too close to a Big Misunderstanding for my taste, but I really enjoyed the h/h - they were very sweet together and generally kind.
Margaret
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it

"Burrowes is an unconventional storyteller who knows exactly how to touch a reader's heart and reach deep into the soul."—RT Book Reviews

Lady Maggie Windham Has Secrets

Emp
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
So I've read a whole lot of Grace Burrowes' books. And I have to say this book was one of her better ones, if not the best one I've read so far.

The plot is standard Burrowes-- the heroine (Maggie Windham) has a secret and she believes it keeps her from marrying the hero (Benjamin Hazlit). She's a duke's by-blow, and he's the family's private investigator (who's sort of hiding but not really hiding his real identity). She hires him to find her stolen reticule, and the plot goes from there.

Despite
Teri
Not my favourite of the series, Hazlit.. I thought made a better showing as a secondary character (I kept thinking in the other books, I can't wait for his book). (I wanted him as great book boyfriend - sort of more romantic, a less professorial Gervase Fen. Sort of Fen imagining himself as more rogue-ish dashing figure (Fen is a golden age detective cum jolly clever professor). Instead it felt more Nancy Drew. That's not bad, it's just not what I imagined or saw Hazlit as.

Still, she's a great w

• The Scandal Before Christmas (The Reckless Brides, #3.5)
  • Brody (Circle Eight, #2)
  • Fire of the Dragon (Bestiary, #1)
  • When You Give a Duke a Diamond (Jewels of the Ton, #1)
  • It Happened Under the Mistletoe (Secret Brides, #3.5)
  • Bound by Wish and Mistletoe (Highland Legends #1.5)
  • The Rogue's Proposal (House of Trent, #2)
  • Christmas Brides
  • In Love with a Wicked Man (MacLachlan Family & Friends, #9)
  • Say Yes to the Duke (House of Brady, #3)
  • Lessons in Loving A Laird (Highland Knaves, #2)
  • Geek Girls Don't Date Dukes (Geek Girls, #2)
  • The Highlander's Sin (Stolen Bride, #6)
  • Reclaimed: A Highland Historical Trilogy (Highland Historical, #4-6) (The MacKays, #1-3)
  • My Notorious Gentleman (Inferno Club, #6)
  • Her Warrior Slave (MacEgan Brothers, #1)
  • One Night in London (The Truth About the Duke, #1)
  • How to Entice an Enchantress (The Duchess Diaries, #3)
Grace Burrowes started writing as an antidote to empty nest and soon found it an antidote to life in general. She is the sixth out of seven children, raised in the rural surrounds of central Pennsylvania. Early in life she spent a lot of time reading romance novels and practicing the piano. Her first career was as a technical writer and editor in the Washington, DC, area, a busy job that nonethele ...more

Windham (8 books)
  • The Heir (Duke's Obsession, #1; Windham, #1)
  • The Soldier (Duke's Obsession, #2; Windham, #2)
  • The Virtuoso (Duke's Obsession, #3; Windham, #3)
  • Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish (The Duke's Daughters, #1; Windham, #4)
  • Lady Louisa's Christmas Knight (The Duke's Daughters, #3; Windham, #6)
  • Lady Eve's Indiscretion (The Duke's Daughters, #4; Windham, #7)
  • Lady Jenny's Christmas Portrait (The Duke's Daughters, #5; Windham, #8)
“This was wrong, dangerous, stupid...and necessary to the survival off her soul.” 4 likes
“The sound of her voice was so pretty, it almost disguised the ugliness of her words.” 4 likes