Jump to ratings and reviews

Between Boyfriends #1

Between Boyfriends

Between Boyfriends is a #3 best seller and award-winning novel!

At first glance, twenty-one-year-old Jan Weston has it all: a gorgeous boyfriend, fun friends, and wealthy parents who take care of all those pesky credit card bills.

Then her boyfriend dumps her, her friendships fall apart, and her parents cut her off. Suddenly without money, without a man, and without a plan, it’s time for Jan to grow up.

Determined to get her life back on track, Jan decides it’s time to make it on her own. Can she find her way as a single lady in San Diego? Can she fix her friendships, her job prospects, and her hair? And can she keep her vow that she’ll never date again, even after she meets a guy who just might be perfect for her? BETWEEN BOYFRIENDS is a sexy, hilarious story of living life, finding love, and growing up... but not necessarily in that order.

Praise for Between Boyfriends:

"This book is the ultimate chick-lit read--a light-hearted romp focused on the travails of Jan, a college student dumped by her boyfriend, an SDSU student. The moment proves an epiphany, as Jan resolves to stop dating and find fulfillment as a single woman." - East County Magazine

Between Boyfriends "presents a unique twist on the chick lit genre." - Hollywood & Vine magazine

"Over the course of the book, Jan, who is in her early 20s, begins to grow as a person and even strikes up a true friendship with a man, a first for her." - Rancho Santa Fe Review

"Between Boyfriends is a delicious slice of chick-lit! Snappy dialogue sets this story apart from the pack as it follows a young woman who, financially cut off by her parents when she fails to attend school, learns that life is more than her Amex card, and reunites with a mother who has endured her own brand of pain." - Jan Moran, bestselling author

309 pages, ebook

First published September 20, 2011

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Sarka-Jonae Miller

12 books198 followers
Sárka-Jonae is a novelist, publicist, journalist, and now a columnist for East County Magazine (EastCountyMagazine.org). Her novel writing career began with Between Boyfriends, a romantic comedy novel for women who've been "between boyfriends," which is much cooler than being single. She has recently branched out into writing steamy romance under the name SJ Miller.

Sárka-Jonae is a graduate of Syracuse University. Before writing full-time, she was a personal trainer and massage therapist, helping people tone up, slim down, and chill out. In her free time, SJ loves to dance in flash mobs, in music videos, on speakers, or at home in her underwear. She practices kung fu and yoga, was briefly a Buddhist nun, and travels extensively for "research." She's a huge animal lover and has been vegan since 1999. She's committed to respectfully unveiling the truth about the horrific way factory farms abuse animals. SJ lives in San Diego with a cat and two dogs.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
41 (8%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 72 reviews
2 reviews
October 24, 2011
Funny and fun chik-lit. Sarka Jonae is a writer to watch. She is very entertaining and has a good command of language. I found the novel a fast and interesting read.
Profile Image for Lady Vigilante (Feifei).
632 reviews2,667 followers
August 9, 2013
Before I begin, I was given a copy of this book for an honest review.

"How would you know someone's 'the One' without having dated him first?"
"Love at first sight? A sign from God? A Tiffany's engagement ring?"

This book was a delightful mixture of comedy and romance that will tug at your heartstrings. When I first read about Jan through her (ex)boyfriend's POV, I laughed out loud. After all, she was described as the typical blonde bombshell airhead and I didn't feel sorry for her AT ALL after being dumped. After 20% into the book, however, I realized that there are much deeper issues that drive Jan's clingy behavior. There were times where I even felt sorry for her, or rather, moments of clarity where her vulnerability was unmasked.

"The trip down memory lane was highly amusing. She snickered as she remembered all the losers she had dated during the three years she had lived in the apartment. Yet with each name that popped into her head as she touched a new item, a breakup memory popped in alongside it. All of a sudden, it didn't seem so funny anymore."

Jan's character is so complex and hard to describe. On one hand, I attribute her childhood and upbringing that shapes her into a whiny, needy, mean girl. On the other end of the scale, I thought maybe there's just no saving someone so self-centered and pitiful. Suprisingly, I saw much character development and improvement on Jan's part. Jan turned from a snob to a real, genuine person, giving real smiles, letting down her barriers, facing her insecurities. There were many times in the book where I was just about to give up hope out of pure annoyance with her character, but she pulled through. It's amazing how a character I completely hated at the beginning turned into such a strong confident and likable person. If you're looking for a book about finding yourself and facing against the odds, this is the book for you!

4 STARS!!!
Profile Image for Angel Sefer.
Author 21 books492 followers
February 9, 2014
An amazing book!!!
I really enjoyed this interesting and amusing book. At first site, Jan seems to be a spoiled, rich girl, who is used in having everything taken care for her. But as I kept on reading, I realized that this was just on the surface. She is actually a lonely, insecure person, who has not really felt love and acceptance from her parents and growing up, she has trouble loving and accepting other people and above all, loving and accepting herself.
I believe the author has done an amazing job, presenting the way Jan used to be and the way she changed and took control of her life.
I strongly recommend this book!
Profile Image for Dianne.
6,765 reviews583 followers
November 20, 2013
Jan has finally decided to grow up, get her life on track and take responsibility for her destiny. Not necessarily out of a sense of “it’s what grownups do,” but because she was cut off financially by her wealthy, but distant parents. Between Boyfriends by Sarka-Jonae Miller is a slightly quirky look at one young woman’s coming of age as she sees how empty her life really was and how there truly was more to life than shopping, boyfriends and appearances.

Sarka-Jonae Miller has created a light and fluffy “reality check” that, in hindsight, actually had some deep revelations and lessons in life! As she gave “life” to her main character Jan, what I saw was a flat and shallow character, but as the story progresses, Jan gains some much needed personality and dimension! It was the baby steps taken to the “new” Jan that made the story! After all, the journey of life is taken one step at a time!

Filled with quirky characters, and enough emotional twists to make my head spin, I enjoyed the pace, which, at times seemed to be like a time lapse photo with words as we watch Jan morph from a self-centered plastic princess to an enchanting and strong person. Is this heavy reading, full of action and suspense? Nope, it’s a good chick-lit kind of book where the heroine doesn’t actually roar, but is definitely a stronger person for learning to live like "common folk" and look beyond herself!

I received a review copy as part of the Between Boyfriends Book tour stopping at Tome Tender soon!

Series: Between Boyfriends, Book 1
Publication Date: November 6, 2013
Publisher: Booktrope
ISBN-10: 1620151820
Genre: NA Fiction/Chick-Lit
Page Count: 315
Available from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble

November 20, 2012
Jan is a rich and spoiled girl, who quits her college to join massage school (without her mother's knowledge). She just got dumped by her boyfriend -- again. Tired of the opposite gender, Jan decides not to date again - ever. To a girl who has always had boyfriends, this is going to be a big feat. Her mother who has been paying her bills so far, disowns her, as soon as she knows that Jan had dropped out of college. Financially helpless, for the first time in her life, Jan has to worry about money, paying bills and rents. Money and boyfriends define Jan. What is Jan going to do without both of them? Or is there much more to Jan than these two?

This chick-lit novel surprised me. Although started slow at first, the novel picked up speed soon. Jan's character is someone who you can relate to, partially. Her friends, Lisa, Nichole and Becki's characters were all brought out very well, that I enjoyed their roles in Jan's life, much than Jan's life itself.

The snarky dialogues made me laugh and that's what I love in a chick-lit and it was delivered perfectly. The characters are well formed. Jan's changes in attitude and life through a comedy of errors is well thought out and also delivered in a humourous way. Here is a heroine you won't like, but would appreciate to know the story of. Interesting read!

There are typo issues in the novel - which at times affect the mood of the story.

A coming of age novel narrated with humor! Recommended for lovers of chick-lit novels.

Full review and favorite quotes from this novel at Books Are Magic.
Profile Image for Lilian Roberts.
Author 24 books179 followers
April 4, 2013
I highly recommend this book!! Jan is one of the most amusing and real characters I've read about in a long time. She is not your typical rich girl or typical mean girl, but she may seem like that on the surface. Underneath, she is lonely and doesn't feel good about herself. Just look at her parents and you will know why! Many young women struggle to make friends, maintain relationships, and learn to love themselves. You see all that in Jan. I loved watching her change, though she was actually becoming more of her true self. Readers who love humor, drama, and people learning life lessons should pick up Between Boyfriends.
Profile Image for Klejackson.
2 reviews
October 24, 2011
Loved the book, it's really a great read. I'll be looking forward to the next book. Keep up the great work for us girls.

Profile Image for Shelley.
October 30, 2011
I know the author. She's smart and has a good sense of humor. I'm very much looking forward to reading her new book on my next vacation!
Profile Image for Alicia Huxtable.
1,667 reviews56 followers
May 18, 2021
Please do read this

I was so happy reading this book. The fact that Jan grew into her own throughout this book. At the start, I didn't like her very much, not her friends, except Becky. But at the end, this whole story just gave me warm fuzzies
Profile Image for Christa Bistretzan.
18 reviews2 followers
June 30, 2012
BETWEEN BOYFRIENDS BY SARKA-JONAE MILLER: A REVIEW
CHICK LIT, Printed in 201, Smashwords Edition.

This is a story of a young woman, Jan, who grows and matures as the story goes on.

When the reader is first introduced to Jan, our main character is being broken up by her boyfriend of 8 months named Mike. Jan is spoiled, rich, snobby and shallow. She appears to have more money than brains.
We learn that Jan has dropped out of college before even taking a single class, and the only ones that know are her now ex boyfriend, her girlfriends and her father. She is taking classes at a massage school to become a massage therapist on the advice of the now ex-boyfriend.
Due to the break up, she swears off dating all boys. This includes Juan, a classmate that she bonds with after being really nasty to him. She takes up new hobbies on the advice of her neighbor/ best friend.
We see her really grow when after a dinner party at her mother’s house. It was during this party that her mother learns that Jan has quit school and is now becoming a massage therapist. This results in Jan being cut off financially and being disowned by her mother. Jan now has to get school paid for, get a job, and support herself completely. Gone are the days of MAC cosmetics, Starbucks Chai Teas and fancy hair salons.
Through a comedy of errors of jobs that she does get, we see her becoming less shallow, more of her own person.
It is through her relationships with her girlfriends and two new friends that she connects with, Jan blossoms into a woman, from the girl that she was.

This is an excellent read! I enjoyed it from the first page and was sad to see the last one. It has a rich story line, characters that you can relate to and a story that any woman can relate to/see her own story in. I was able to read this book in just over 12 hours… because I enjoyed it so much. This would be a welcomed book to have with you in the summer as you travel, read at the beach or enjoy on the deck with a good glass of wine or favorite cocktail.

Highly recommended by this reviewer.

Can be found at smashwords.com, amazon.com, goodreads.com

Profile Image for Caroline Fardig.
Author 19 books271 followers
April 20, 2013
BETWEEN BOYFRIENDS is a great read. It’s got everything you’d expect in a chick-lit book: good friends, fun, and a little romance, but the thing Sarka-Jonae adds to this story is a journey. The main character, Jan Weston, is at first a snobby rich girl who judges her worth by what her boyfriends think of her. She is rude to her girlfriends, wastes money, and spends way too much time looking down on others. As the story goes on, however, you realize that Jan is the way she is thanks to a lot of blatant disdain and lack of emotional support from her parents. She’s only twenty-one and has already been written off in her parents’ eyes.

As a result of a comment made by her ex-boyfriend, plus the fact that studying bores her to tears and she’s convinced herself she’s destined to fail anyway, Jan drops out of college and enrolls in a massage school instead. Neglecting to mention it to her parents, who are footing the bill for her tuition as well as for her over-the-top lifestyle, Jan gets herself in a bind when they find out her little secret. Jan is cut off, and now she is not only boyfriendless, but she’s also penniless and hopeless.

We start to see a real transformation happening in Jan, starting with her promise to herself to stop the madness of dating to focus on herself, her friendships, her studies, and her future career. She’s humbled time and time again by horrible bosses, bad hair days, and her dwindling bank account. Jan finally realizes that to get anywhere in life, you have to give of yourself and put others first, which is a foreign concept in her family.

I highly recommend this book. Jan is a little hard to take at first, but give her a chance. She’s got a long way to fall from her lofty pedestal, and the ride down is a bumpy one. The good news is that every time Jan gets knocked down, she gets back up again stronger, and with a little help from her friends, she finally finds a happy place…BETWEEN BOYFRIENDS.
Profile Image for Anna Tan.
Author 24 books160 followers
November 6, 2012
Right from the beginning of the book, I started getting really annoyed by the protagonist of the story, Jan Weston. I find ditsy, blond-stereotype girls very annoying, especially when they seem to believe that the whole world owes them a living. And this girl was all that. So she’s broken up over her break up (to non-functional extremes), her mother practically disowns her for ditching a proper University degree to attend massage therapy school (most Asian moms would, just saying), and to top it all off, she’s mean and bitchy to the very people who want to help her: her friend and neighbour Lisa, Lisa’s friend Becki, and the nice (and hot) guy Juan from massage school. It’s as if she’s intent on making things worse for herself than it really needs to be.
Jan soon finds out that she can’t survive on her own, and gradually she lets the people she used to look down on into her life, surrounding herself with those who would help build her up, rather than knock others down. By the end of the book, I find that she’s grown enough that I don’t hate her anymore. She’s still a little flighty, but very much more grounded than before, and even quite nice.

I can’t say that I really love this book. I liked it well enough for its genre, and I think that Miller has some great characterisations going on in the book. It was interesting enough to be finished during my Phuket trip (so I didn’t have to go find something else to read). Guess that ups it to a 3.5. :)

Apparently the sequel has something to do with Thailand…
Profile Image for Kathy.
142 reviews32 followers
July 5, 2012
Jan is a pampered,self centered, boy crazy, snoby brat. Jan is dumped once again by her boyfriend of eight months, and has sworn off of boys. Jan goes through a journey of self discovery to find out why people boys inparticular find her "unloveable" .Her mother disowns her after finding out she dropped out of college to become a massage therapist and she is cut off financially from her wealthy parents and is forced to look after her self. Through learning how to take care of herself with the help of her friends she starts to understand how empty her life up till then has been and how badly she treated her friends and boyfriends by being a self centered, manipulative, bitch.

I thought the book started out slow for me but quickly stepped up the pace. Although I hated Jan from the begining,I was routing for her to see the error of her ways, and turn her life around. I enjoyed reading about her coming into herself and growing up and realizing what is important to her. This book reminded me a little of the charecters from Something Borrowed, and a Bitch called Karma. Its a good beach read, or travel book. I'll be happy to read the second installment. I would gladly recommend it to my friends.
Profile Image for Melissa.
100 reviews
November 15, 2012

I really enjoyed reading "Between Boyfriends" by Sarka-Jonae Miller. After Jan is dumped, she swears off men. Her mother "disowns" her after finding out she dropped out of State school and is going to massage school instead. Jan is cut off financially from her wealthy parents and has to find a job. Her first job is giving dog's haircuts and she gets fired. Her next job is working for a wireless company and she quits because she doesn't agree with ripping customers off. Finally she got a good job at a spa giving massages. It helped her because she wanted to be a massage therapist. Her friends helped her through some rough spots.

Jan is a typical young adult who doesn't understand why none of her relationships lasted. I felt like I could relate to Jan because I haven't had a long term relationship. Jan had a few good friends who she could count on when things got tough. Becki, Lisa, Nichole, and Juan are just a few of Jan's friends in the book. A long with her hair stylist and her personal trainer. Friends are important to have because sometimes families don't get along.

I look forward to reading more books written by Sarka-Jonae Miller. The book was well written, easy to read, and very enjoyable. I will recommend this book to my family and friends.
Profile Image for BestChickLit.com.
458 reviews246 followers
December 16, 2012
Very few people are lucky enough to know exactly what they want to do in their lives, or have the funds to get them there, and this is the perfect book for anyone who is struggling with this area of their lives. Jan is a spoilt diva who has unlimited funding behind her and a world of opportunities at her feet. The one thing that she doesn’t have is an emotionally supportive family or even many loyal friends. Between Boyfriends takes a close look at her life and shows exactly what it takes to turn it around and earn a little self respect.

Jan is not a likeable character at the beginning, although if we are honest there is probably a little part of her undesirable nature in all of us. In many cases she knows she is wrong but chooses to ignore it because someone else will clean up after her. By taking a close look at herself, the consequences of her actions and what she really wants in life she manages to turn things around. Unlike some makeover novels Jan’s transformation is slow and realistic. There is no bright clarification point, but a slow process that takes hard work and humility. This is a fun read, great for over the weekend or while on holiday relaxing.

Review by Elizabeth Wright on behalf of BestChickLit.com
Profile Image for bex.
2,435 reviews20 followers
October 18, 2012
I am not a huge fan of chic lit, but once in a while I read one I like. This is one of those books. I found the characters believable, the story enjoyable, and the writing pretty good. I liked the main character's growth and the way her relationships with those around her slowly change and develop. There were some things in the ending that left me a little dissatisfied, but what happened was true to the characters and probably more believable than what I wished for.

It wasn't without its flaws. There were some POV issues earlier in the book and the usual random typos, etc., found in any book, whether selfpublished or printed by a top publisher. Other than the minor frustration of the POV breaks, nothing was serious enough to disturb me as I read.

I can think of more than one person I know who would benefit from reading this book and maybe could learn a few lessons from the Jan about growing up and being an adult.

Note: I received a free copy of this book for review purposes, but that has not influenced my rating or the review itself. I read the starting chapters available free on Amazon and liked them BEFORE agreeing to review this book.
Profile Image for susieqlaw.
165 reviews6 followers
May 17, 2012
This story is about being young and making impactful decisions. Jan is the only child of two wealthy yet distant parents who pay for her college, her apartment, her fabulous clothes, her MAC makeup...basically everything! When Jan makes a pivotal decision to drop out of college and to go to massage school, Jan loses her parents' financial support. Jan has always had boyfriends. However, under these dire financial circumstances, she decides to give up on having boyfriends and focus on herself.

This book is set in San Diego. The story is peppered with family secrets and the dynamics of Jan's relationships with her eclectic group of friends and her parents. I recommend this book. I read it quickly and hope for a sequel.

**I received this book for free from the author. A special thank you to the author for introducing me to this book!
Profile Image for karmaforlifechick.
122 reviews15 followers
April 14, 2013
This book was a great surprise! I must admit that I really did not like Jan at the beginning of this book. She was such a spoilt and selfish individual that she is certainly a personality that one would love to dislike. It was great seeing her grow up, primarily out of necessity, but when the gradual changes begin to happen, I could not help rooting for her. She had a great group of friends who really called it like they saw it and we all need that sometimes to bring about the positive change to help make us better people. I liked the character Juan, started off shaky in the beginning, but proved to be a really likeable character. Hoping they get together.
April 6, 2013
This book was hysterical. The characters are insane, in a good way. The main character Jan is a bit of a pampered princess, but she's in for a rude awakening when her parents take back their financial support. I can totally relate to her scrambling to pay her bills, figuring out what she wants to do with her life, and trying to keep her big mouth shut. I also love the flirtation with Juan. He's pretty funny too. I'm a sucker for a good "will they, won't they" storyline. I love how this book is realistic even when things get a bit nuts. Everything is believable and I know a lot of people like the characters.
Profile Image for Cathy.
91 reviews
July 14, 2012
Jan was a prissy, stuck up, shopaholic, boy obsessed, little rich girl who dropped out of school, lied to her parents, and didn't value her friends. When her rich parents disowned her for lying to them and dropping out of school. She changed herself for the better. She focused on herself, massage school, and her friends. She learned how important it was to have a job, friends, and family. This was a great coming of age story with a little humor and romance thrown in. Hoping the author with write a follow up, I'd love to read more about Jan (and Juan)as she continues to grow up.
Profile Image for Literary.
1,037 reviews149 followers
May 4, 2012
I'm always pleased when I start a chick lit book that contains sassy characters and witty humor and this book has that in abundance. The heroine carries a great deal on her shoulders which lends a lot of emotion to the story as well. I was expecting a bit more of a fairytale ending and for it to be just a wee bit shorter but otherwise a great choice for chick lit fans. Look forward to another book from this author. 3.5 stars.
Profile Image for Laura.
2,557 reviews
August 29, 2012
This was a cute book, the character Jan is a rich spoiled girl and expects people to do everything for her. She is finally forced to be responsible when her parents cut her off. She is forced to get a job and she learns to be a "real friend" to those around her. I am looking forward to reading part 2, hopefully Jan will continue to grow into a more mature person who is responsible and likable. I enjoyed how Jan made a complete turnaround and changed how she acted.
Profile Image for Mom_in_a Ali.
85 reviews
August 16, 2012
Cute story. Really liked the characters and how they change throughout the story. Although I thought Jan's mother forgave her a little too quickly. I would have liked more emotions from her mom. What I really wanted to know was did Jan really sleep with Nick or did she pass out like Lisa said. I really hoped to see more of Juan he was amazing. Nichole was annoying at times and I liked how Jan realized how spoiled she was when Nichole invited her to the mall.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Jan Moran.
Author 41 books3,756 followers
September 22, 2012
Between Boyfriends is a delicious slice of chick-lit! Snappy dialogue sets this story apart from the pack as it follows a young woman who, financially cut off by her parents when she fails to attend school, learns that life is more than her Amex card, and reunites with a mother who has endured her own brand of pain. A colorful cast of friends spices up the action. A fun, 5-star foray. A good read for Candace Bushnell "Sex in the City" fans who are looking for a new author to read.
Profile Image for Michelle.
June 27, 2012
In the beginning I was very unhappy with the main character Jan. As the book progressed however, and Jan was disowned by her parents, her character changed to a very likable person. I found that I really liked Jan after she had to learn how to live by earning her living herself. I am looking forward now to a book 2. This is a great feel good book that everyone will should enjoy
Profile Image for Kelsey.
15 reviews
April 6, 2013
This novel was great! I am normally not a chick-lit reader, but I found myself captivated by the story. I just want more, more, more (especially more scenes with Jan and Juan). The character relationships were very realistic, and the characters themselves were captivating. I really enjoyed this novel and will be looking out for more books by this author (and hopefully a sequel to BB...?).
1 review1 follower
September 25, 2012
This book is a true LAUGH OUT LOUD read. I recommend it to girls of all ages! The author did a perfect job of defining the characters...Jan, Lisa & Nichole. I can see a little bit of myself in all 3 girls!! The perfect mix of heartbreak & humor!! 5 Stars*****
Profile Image for Lisa Buckley.
24 reviews1 follower
March 29, 2013
I was disappointed in the book. From start to finish this book was about a self absorbed girl whining about anything and everything. Glad this was a free download because I would have been disappointed if I paid for it.

Authors writing style was great but the storyline dragged on and on.
Profile Image for Book-shelf Shelf.
472 reviews30 followers
December 26, 2011
A good read that will be enjoyed by all. The characters are real and bring laughter to the reader on most pages.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 72 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.