Start by marking “Blood Lies” as Want to Read:
Blood Lies

Blood Lies

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  721 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
Ben Dafoe, a young emergency-room doctor and part-time crime-scene consultant for the Seattle Police Department, is haunted by addiction. Two years earlier, a cocaine and crystal-meth habit claimed the life of his identical twin, Aaron. Now Ben walks onto the scene of a savage stabbing to find that the victim is his former fiancée, Emily Kenmore--another loved one who fell ...more
Published June 12th 2007 by Forge Books (first published May 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Lies

Drea
May 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amazing, epic-read
From the beginning to the end, I was hooked. I couldn't wait to turn the next page to see what was going to happen. Never have I been so anxious to find out what's going to happen next. "Blood Lies" is a great suspense book. It's like watching a movie as you read the book. And I would read it all again just for the thrill it brings.

This book keeps you reading in a whodunnit kind of way:

A doctor finds out that his ex-fiance and male friend of hers was viciously murdered in her home. Confused as t
Debra
Dec 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Emergency-room physician, Ben Dafoe, is horrified to learn that his former fianceé, Emily, has been brutally murdered. He’s still trying to come to terms with his twin brother Aaron’s death two years earlier, so Emily’s murder is especially devastating. When evidence suggests that the blood found on the walls in Emily’s bedroom is likely Ben’s, he panics and leaves Seattle for Vancouver, British Columbia, where Aaron was last seen. Is his twin actually alive? Aaron and Emily were both drug users ...more
Stefanie
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
GOOD BOOK
Toni Osborne
Feb 08, 2009 rated it really liked it

Ben Dafoe is a young emergency-room doctor and a crime consultant for the Seattle Police Department. His expertise is required at the scene of a savage stabbing; where he discovers one of the victims is his former fiancée, Emily Kenmore. In her bedroom is a single streak of blood caked on the wall. When the DNA from the sample matches Ben's, he becomes the prime suspect. Desperate to find out how this could have happened he is forced into hiding from authorities. Suspecting his identical twin br
Jovdb
Oct 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Ben is a doctor in the ER of a large hospital. He is called by a detective, Helen, whom he knows from helping out on her previous cases, to tell him that a friend of his, Emily, has been found stabbed to death in her home.

Ben doesn't tell Helen that Emily is his ex-fiance. Nor does he tell her that he knows the other person, a young man, who has also been killed in Emily's apartment.

Because of a blood spatter found on the wall in Emily's room, Ben is suspected of killing her. The blood matched t
Kristen
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: medical-thriller
If you love a shocking and twisted medical thriller, this one is for you. From debut author Daniel Kalla, he's taking you to a thrill ride in Blood Lies. Dr. Ben Dafoe is an ER doctor in Seattle who's caught in the middle of a puzzling mystery. When his ex-fiancée is found hacked to death and murdered with another person, he becomes the spotlight of attention because of his personal connection. When his blood's found on the wall, it gets creepier, when he becomes a person of interest. From Ben's ...more
May 17, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: may2009
The plot overall is a decent idea, and that's keeping me entertained. But I'm frustrated at how dumb the main character (Ben) appears to be. I already have a pretty good guess as to whodunnit, as the foreshadowing is pretty heavy. And Ben is just digging himself into a ridiculous hole. But I'll finish listening anyway, just to find out if I'm right.

Thank goodness I'm almost done with this. The overall plot is interesting enough that I still want to know the resolution, but good lord. Just when B
David
May 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
Once upon a time I had an idea...this idea happened in a bookstore...I thought hey! I'm gonna grab a random book with no research and see how it works out. It was the worst idea I've ever had. This book sucked...big time...also at this point I didn't have the expectations I do today...I liked shit...and I even hated this! I just wanna say the plot line wasn't bad...good idea. By the way its one of the scientific writers...uses a lot medical in their books. The characters were awful...they were v ...more
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
So this was the first book that I've ever read from this author. I loved the fact that the main character spent some time in Vancouver Canada as well as in the States. I just finished reading a book that was a little bit hard to get in to and after that, this book was great. I ended up reading it in less than a week. The book keeps you interested the whole way through. I didn't guess who it was until close to the end. That's a big thing for me now since I've read so many crime novels and the pro ...more
Nancy Steinle gummel
Blood Lies by Daniel Kalla is an awesome book. This is the first of Kalla's books I've read and i look forward to reading more. He tells a very well written story. It begins with Dr Benjamin Dafoe, an ER doctor. He unwings be riding his bike with reckless abandon. He is contacted by Detective Helen Riddell and her partner Detective Rick Sutcliffe. They are from the Seattle Police Department. They ask Ben to identify a body. The body is Ben's former fiance Emily Kenmore. Ben becomes a suspect. He ...more
Christine
Aug 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
Emergency room doctor Ben Dafoe receives a call from the police. This is not unusual as he often consults on matters of blood in murder cases. However, this one is a little different – the victim is his ex-fiancee. To make matters worse, some of the blood found at the scene belongs to Ben. Proclaiming his innocence, yet fleeing Seattle in favour of Vancouver Ben tries to clear his name.

This book is full of twists and turns, doctors, cops, crooked lawyers, sex, drugs but, alas, no rock and roll.
Alex Tran
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was really enjoyable and exciting. I loved about every aspect of this book from the suspense to the romance that builds up with Ben and Alex. The plot took off really quick in the beginning and didn't slow down, which gave the story never ending suspense. My favorite character had to be Alex Lindquist, she was very inspirational and always there to help out Ben in need. I loved it when Daniel Kalla used flashbacks in the book to give the readers a easier time to understand the situatio ...more
Daisy
May 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thought it was good. It is my favorite so far of the Kalla books. I found the ending great. I won't spoil it. It had Vancouver and Seattle in it so I loved that because I am from Vancouver and I have been to Seattle. The story was good it moved really well and I like that it was a mystery. I found myself getting mad at some of the characters for their betrayal and dishonesty. It goes to show you what drugs does to a person's sensibilities and temperment.
Maria
Apr 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
not as much dr. as i thought there would be or should say i wanted there to be. but as a suspenseful/mystery it is amazing! its as addicting as the drugs in the book! could not put it down (got very little sleep while reading it) :-) definately recommend for anybody who likes murder mysteries, but probably wouldn't satasfy those who are looking for a medical thriller or any medical dr. store. its more about the dr.'s personal life.
Kate McLennan
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic. From the moment i started reading this novel, i was hooked. I finished this book quicker then i ever have another novel before. It got to the point where i really couldn't put it down, i had to know what happened next.

The story had a lot of highs and lows, and there was also a lot of suspense which added to the fact that i didnt want to stop reading it. Wonderfully written and thought out story line also, the twist at the end added a whole level to the entire book.
Nightfalltwen
Jan 15, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Well this is unfortunate. I didn't technically get to finish this story because I was listening to it as an audio book from the library and disc three was so HORRIBLY scratched that I got nothing but skipping and errors the whole disc. So it got two stars because I wasn't able to finish.

I kinda wasn't even really all that into the story... but with the bad audio copy I had, it didn't help. Ah well.
Barbara ★
It took a long time to get into this book as I did not like the main character at all. Once you get past Dr. Dafoe's personality issues, the story itself is a good one and it definitely keeps your interest. It's twisty turny with just enough red herrings to keep you guessing all the way to the end. I figured out one connection but totally missed the other one. I would read more by this author.
Kimberly
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Well, I gave this author a second chance, and unfortunately my opinion worsened. His protagonist was not the brightest crayon in the box. Supposedly intelligent, but really, the guy was brainless. Hard to feel any kind of empathy or interest for him. I refrained from rating this 1 star, because the author is really just a doctor - not an author at all.
Kim Moyer
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was a pretty quick and easy read but I really enjoyed the storyline. There are so many different suspects and theories presented that it really keeps the reader guessing until the end.

I started to have some suspicions that the ultimate culprit was truly the one involved but I definitely didn't see the final twist that pulled it all together coming at all!
Simon Cleveland, PhD
Jun 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
What makes this book great is its style. Short, meaningful sentences, first person POV, engaging story. What makes me not give 4 instead of 5 stars is its predictability (somewhere midway I figured who the perpetrator was, causing me to focus from that point on the writing style rather than the story). Much better read than Michael Palmer's stories.
Babs
Nov 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. Nice pace, quick read, and it was quite the guessing game of who-dun-it. The author is a real-life ER doctor and has a few ER stories to tell in the book. But, more importantly, he weaves some interesting material on blood, bone marrow transplants, and DNA into the medical mystery mix. Your DNA is unique to only you, right? Read this book and think again.
Linh
Aug 01, 2011 rated it liked it
A quick and entertaining read. I was drawn in right from the start and had a really good time plowing through the book. Although the concept was done in CSI, the author wrote with experience and vivid detail, breathing life into Ben Dafoe. All in all, I enjoyed it.
Sinder
Aug 11, 2011 rated it liked it
It took me FOREVER to read this book. I liked Daniel's work in Rage Therapy, but this book seemed to drag on, until the last 5 chapters, when it got full of action, and then made a unexpected twist. All in all, I didn't really enjoy this book ...

Samuel Blondahl
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excelent mystery, filled with tension and surprise. Daniel Kalla knows his work, medicine, and writing, and knows how to bind the two. I strongly recommend Blood Lies. - I have read 5 of his medical mysteries now, and very eager to see his WWII novels. Kalla is worth reading.
Carla JFCL
Jul 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Just the kind of book I like: a fast-paced novel with a "medical" twist. Kept me guessing the whole way through, and although I thought I had it figured out, it turned out that I didn't. That's just the way it should be!
Ricardo
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
This is probably the worst book that I've read by Kalla so far. I barely managed to make it to the part where the main character goes on the run and then I completely lost interest. Very disappointed, hope the next one is better
Jenny Talarski
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is probably my new favorite book! I finished it within 2-3 days. I just couldn't put it down. I felt that there was always something that kept you guessing and just wanting to read more. I highly recommend this book!
Stefan
Apr 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
I previously had not been impressed by Daniel Kalla but, 'Blood Lies' was surprisingly good. The first-person perspective and carefully crafted plot kept the tension high. It was also interesting to read a novel that featured the settings of Vancouver and Seattle.
  • The Eleventh Plague
  • Lethal Practice (Dr. Earl Garnet, #1)
  • Flawless (Nathaniel McCormick #2)
  • Donor (Dr Steven Dunbar #1)
  • The Second Opinion
  • Final Epidemic (Beck Casey #1)
  • Implant
  • Lifelines (Angels of Mercy, #1)
  • The Gemini Factor
  • The Delta Chain
  • Crisis (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #6)
  • Skin Deep
  • Vaccine Nation
  • Till Death (Deep Six Security, #1)
Born, raised, and still residing in Vancouver, Kalla spends his days (and sometimes nights) working as an ER Physician in an urban teaching hospital.

The idea for his first medical thriller, PANDEMIC, sprang from his clinical experience in facing the SARS crisis of 2003. He has written five science thrillers and or medical mysteries, delving into themes and topics as diverse as superbugs, drug addi
More about Daniel Kalla...

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
  • A Small Indiscretion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
  • The Snow Garden
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • While the Savage Sleeps
  • The Technologists
  • A Density of Souls
  • Plea of Insanity
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Away from the Dark (The Light, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Missing, Presumed (DS Manon, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Use
  • Emma's Secret
  • She's Not There
  • Heart Collector
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Room with a Clue (Pennyfoot Hotel #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $2.00