Start by marking “Marine Biology (San Andreas Shifters, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Marine Biology (San Andreas Shifters, #0.5)

Marine Biology

(San Andreas Shifters 0.5)

A short tale of seduction, selkies, and sushi.

Alex is a werewolf with problems – he’s unexpectedly alive, he’s quite definitely gay, and he’s been ordered into a partnership with one very flirty merman.

In this LBGTQ sweet short love story, New York Times bestselling author Gail Carriger brings her comedic voice to contemporary fiction and m/m romance. Explicit language war
Published October 4th 2011 by Gail Carriger LLC (first published August 26th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Marine Biology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marine Biology

* A Reader Obsessed *
3.5 Stars

Basically a pretty tasty appetizer to what I hope will be a great series!

Meags
2.5 Stars

Well that was... odd.

This short prequel felt weirdly hectic and way too brief for me to even begin to get a good grasp of the characters or the particular shifter world being explored here.

Honestly, I wouldn’t say no to reading more from the series - I figure with more page time some of these themes and characters could really blossom - but I’d probably take some convincing.

I will say I very much liked the idea of the werewolf/merman pairing, I just wish it was substantially more deve
Jenni Lea
Cute little shorty

This was cute for what we got of it. Too short to be fully fleshed but the characters were likable and the dialogue was snappy. Looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Sharon
I was skeptical because I’m so used to the Parasol Protectorate world. However, even with the slightly darker tone, this world seems to be just as fun and as amusing. I’m in love with the ongoing bantering among the characters. Also, I am interested to see how might this magical world develop with its many species. So far, it has been intriguing.

Also, yay for LGBTQ representation. I like it. I ship it. It is a short love story, but I’m happy with it. Alex is adorable and reserved, and Marvin is
Ami
Aug 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-short-stories
At first, I'm REALLY annoyed with the use of italics on this one. Almost all of the internal thoughts are in italics and it's grating on my nerves. However, I'm powering it through, since it's a short story (only around 11,000 based on Smashwords info). And in the end, I'm pretty entertained.

It's quite a fun idea; Alec is a werewolf + marine biologist ("I specialize in microorganisms ... not fish!"). He is asked by his Alpha to work with a couple of merfolks ("We are NOT fish!") to follow a whi
Lost in a Book
Super short and provided just enough clarity to fill in the pieces I was missing at the start of book 1. My bad for not realizing there was a prequel. 💁🏻♀ ...more
G.
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Gail Carriger's (of The Parasol Protectorate fame) other nom de plume. Cute and funny. Definitely an enjoyable short story introduction to a series of what I believe are m/m paranormal standalones.
Line
Okay, too short for a 4-star rating, BUT it was freaking hilarious AND made me buy the next one immediately, and any book that can make me do that, is a hit!
Also no smexy times, but was promised lots of it in the next one, and boy oh boy does that one deliver.
Wiebke (1book1review)
What a delightful new set of characters and scenery. I really hope we get to hear more of Alec and Marvin, or others in this world.
Cathy (cathepsut)
Fairly silly little story. More of an intro piece or a teaser to a series than a serious attempt at a short story. Cliches abound. Found the monkey business a little off-putting. Might pick up another books in this series, if it came cheaply.
joyce g
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh Ms. G.L. Carriger you make me chuckle all the while, what a charming little tale with just a wee bit of naughty.
Mandapanda
Oct 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: various-romance
This is the same New York Times Bestselling author who writes the great PNR series, The Parasol Protectorate. I can't resist when these well known mainstream romance authors dabble in m/m romance.

This is a fascinating and otherworldly story of werewolves, mermen, selkies and the mafia. Alex is a closeted (in more ways than the obvious) werewolf. His alpha forces him to aid a strangely familiar merman to bust the white collar crime racket of some underworld selkies.

GC's skill with creating a wond
Chris, the Dalek King
Because I'm smart I totally waited a couple months after reading The Sumage Solution to read the prequel. Because why would you read books in order?

Anyways, it was cute and quick. A nice introduction to some of the characters and world building that leads up into Sumage Solution, but still a good story on its own.

Don't know what else to say about it. I enjoyed it.

(Though if anyone has an explanation as to why the kindle book was written in blue ink, I'd love to know. Because, wtf?)
namericanwordcat
I love to pieces the first book in this series and was really excited to learn that there was a pre equal with the brother's romance.

Meh. The world is built just a little and it is funny in place but the romance doesn't feel deep and the sexy times are off page which is out of tone with what happens in the next book.

I am glad I read it but if I read this first I would have no idea of how amazing the next book is. And it is amazing.
Marion
3.5 Stars!
Ian
A "blink and you'll miss it" short story about a werewolf and a merman. It's light and fluffy g-rated LGBT romance.
⚣Michaelle⚣
3.4 Stars

That was...weird. Very busy story here with a lot going on and while I really, really thought I would love the multiple voice actors used to narrate this tale...well, surprise! I actually did not like it much at all.

Kinda glad I listened to the first full installment before I listened to this one or else I'm not sure I'd have even bothered continuing. But still, I am looking forward to Book 2 - once it's out on audio. (I really really hope it comes out on audio; I did like Kirt Graves'
Ladiibbug
Urban Fantasy - Werewolves, Mermaids/Mermen, Selkies - M/M romance

Delightful comic short story. Gail Carriger's recent re-releases of earlier short stories are such treats! She does an excellent job developing the characters, story and plotlines in this format.

Alec is a werewolf with problems. He's a mild-mannered marine biologist who enjoys reading literature. His father and brothers are beer guzzling, rowdy, manly werewolves. Alec tries to fit in as best he can, but it's not easy. And he's gay
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
I like this Gail Carriger short story series. Always appreciate a little diversity in my romance and this fit the bill!
Joyfully Jay
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

This is a cute, humorous short story that is a prequel to the San Andreas Shifters series. It appears to have been originally written back in 2010 under the name Gail Carriger and now re-released and recovered with the publication of the first book in the series. The story features Bryan/Biff’s brother, Alec, and explains how he came to be the alpha and why the pack moved to California. Although it is not necessary to read before the series, it does provide some c
Marine biologist Alex is a werewolf with secrets and the fact that he's gay is the least of them. He just doesn't fit in with the other werewolves in his pack and that makes life extremely difficult for him. They don't understand his love of fish over steak and he's never going to enjoy drinking and partying the way they all do. When the wolves are approached by some merfolk who need help investigating the illegal activities of the selkie mafia Alex is given the job of liaison. His family are ho ...more
Alisa
Kind of cheesy. Not really my type of humor.
Bookworm Erica
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Always a fun read
Ann aka Iftcan
Cute story about a gay werewolf who doesn't fit in with his family, who are all hairy, grunting, biker werewolves. Ms. Carriger's usual deft hand with the humour makes this short story/novella an entertaining read.
Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm
Fun short story

Enjoyed this short story and plan to read the next one in the series. Loved all the snarky characters and can't wait to read more.
Stephanie   GooglyEyes
2.5*

That didn't really tell me much about Alec and Marvin. It seemed quick and while it was probably supposed to be funny/quirky came off a bit arrogant.

Also, that was NOT the Biff I know from book 1. Nuh uh, not at all.

Also, I wonder if Giselle figured out what needed figuring out with the Irish Mafia. There's zero mention of it in TSS.
Mehsi
Oh my word. *fans herself* This was a delightful little novella, and I wouldn't mind more Merman x Werewolf stories.

I decided to check if Gail Carriger wrote any more books like Romancing the Inventor and Poison or Protect. The more adult books of hers. I finally found this one, the cover is a bit hilarious (though the guy himself is definitely yum), and then I saw it was going to be merman x werewolf I just had to read it. I never seen that combo in books, so I was curious how this coupling wou
Lyra
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't really like short stories, but I read this book because I want to read "The Sumage Solution" and found out that "The Sumage Solution" had a prequel. I was all, "Whaaat?" and rushed off to get a hold of this book ("Marine Biology") before I read "The Sumage Solution" in case there was anything in "Marine Biology" that would make "The Sumage Solution" more enjoyable."

And it was an okay book. I probably only enjoyed it 3 stars worth, but I'm bumping it up to 4 stars because 1) Marine Biolo
Lisa Wolf
Oct 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
"Marine Biology" was originally published in a paranormal romance collection, and has just been released as an ebook single. This is the first story of Gail Carriger's that I've read that's set in the modern world, rather than the Victorian era. It's also - shocker! - set in the US. Not a single cup of tea throughout!

"Marine Biology" is a cute, light love story involving a reluctant werewolf hiding his sexuality and a few other key points from his he-man pack. When he and a gorgeous merman are t
Jaylia3
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Being born into a rabidly macho family of werewolves keeps Alex, who has known forever that he’s gay, way inside the closet. What would the pack think!? And what would his mindlessly brutal father do!? Given his proclivities he can’t believe he survived the transformation from human to wolf and now Alex keeps his head down as much as possible, working at a marine biology lab by day. Because of this vague connection to the sea, his pack’s alpha wolf picks Alex for a special undercover mission wit ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Gail Carriger Fan...: Marine Biology (#0.5) 2 14 Oct 29, 2016 08:51AM

• Romancing the Werewolf (Supernatural Society, #2)
  • Snake in the Glass (Incryptid, #3.3)
  • Camp H.O.W.L. (Camp H.O.W.L. #1)
  • Gnomes of Suburbia (Nexus Chronicles, #1)
  • Off the Beaten Path
  • Hexbreaker (Hexworld, #1)
  • Perfect Day (Wyatt & Graham, #1)
Author also writes as Gail Carriger

San Andreas Shifters (3 books)
  • The Sumage Solution (San Andreas Shifters, #1)
  • The Omega Objection (San Andreas Shifters, #2)
  • The Enforcer Enigma (San Andreas Shifters, #3)
“Alec didn't normally consider himself a violent man, but sometimes, arms simply needed to be removed.” 7 likes
“Can’t you tell from the hair and the cheekbones? Humans don’t grow that beautiful. Not outside of Denmark, anyway.” 1 likes