Start by marking “The House on the Cliff” as Want to Read:
The House on the Cliff

The House on the Cliff

(The Hardy Boys #2)

When Mr. Hardy disappears while investigating a mystery surrounding a vacant house rumored to be either haunted or an abode for criminals, the Hardy Boys search for the truth.
Published October 1st 2005 by Applewood Books (first published 1927)

To ask other readers questions about The House on the Cliff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House on the Cliff

Start your review of The House on the Cliff
Rich Merritt
Dec 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when I was 8 and it's what made me gay. Seriously, Biff's motorcycle is named "Queen" and when Joe "straddles" it and wraps his around Biff (or Chet) he "feels the throbbing engine between his legs." Then Frank and Joe get naked together after swimming in the ocean but that's okay because they're brothers even though they look nothing alike. Yeah right. Even "South Park" picked up on the subtext of the "Hardy Boys" in one episode. But you decide for yourself GoodReaders.
Michael Finocchiaro
The Hardy Boys are legendary books for American boys. Well, perhaps for a certain generation anyway. Written by a collective behind the name Franklin Dixon (who also wrote the Nancy Drew mystery series), they are formulaic but abound with great cliff-hangers on nearly every chapter. In this adventure, there is a haunted house, adventures at sea and the ineffable Fenton Hardy as well as Frank, Joe, Biff and my kid's favourite Chet getting into the action. We have read 7 so far and this one is ...more
Jessaka
What do you read on a rainy day? Me, I often pick up one of my Nancy Drew, Dana Sisters, or Hardy Boys books. This time I picked up the right book.

The Hardy Boys are riding down the road on their motorcycles on a nice sunny day and see this large house on a cliff and decide to go check it out because they had heard that it was now haunted. There was a story about the last owner of the house having been murdered in it and his spirit remains.

They park their bikes under some trees and walk up to
Mark Baker
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frank and Joe Hardy are thrilled when their father, Fenton, gives them an assignment as part of his latest case. He asks them to go up on the cliff and watch the bay for smugglers. They find the perfect spot near an abandoned house. Yet, they soon hear a cry for help from inside, have part of the telescope stolen, and witness an attempted murder. What’s going on?

This book is a perfect example of some of the weaknesses of the series – characters always making the perfect deduction right away and
Rebekah Morris
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I've read both the revised version of this book, and the original, and I just say that I enjoyed the original much better!
This was exciting, fun, and a fast read. While not one I would read over and over in a short time, I did enjoy it and am sure I'll read it again. I do like that Frank and Joe go to their father for advice and care about each other. I'm still not sure though, why Bayport kept such a person as their police chief, but at least they didn't make every law officer dumb.
Josh Davis
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-reading the Hardy Boys series with my daughter has been an adventure. I'm giving this one a 5-star rating because it was my favorite as a kid. Exciting story with secret passages, hidden doors and many twists and turns along the way.
Ann♥♪♪♪♪
So much excitement and danger in this Hardy Boys mystery! Joe and Frank are a great brother team and are determined not to let anything stop them as they search for their father, detective Fenton Hardy, feeling certain he's been kidnapped. Great family closeness, that I always love. Their mom, Laura, is also worried for her husband and stays brave. Before he went missing, Fenton had told his wife and sons about his current dangerous case - I like that the whole family is interested and knows ...more
Cindy Waite
Nov 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eng-420
This was a blast from the past! I remember reading this and other Hardy Boy books as a kid. I loved reading these back then, and now, comparing them to more modern YA books, it seems so simplistic and formulaic.

The story jumps right into action pretty quickly. The boys' parents are part of the story, especially their dad, and he is a hero figure and role model for them to emulate. He allows them to participate in his detective work, which seems far-fetched now, and they are riding motorcycles
Pete
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bedtime-stories
Better than the first book. For a formulaic book for kids there was steady action and the mystery wasn't half bad. I'm glad my son likes The Hardy Boys.
Sebastian Morales
The Hardy Boys House on the Cliff was a classic mystery. Joe and Frank Hardy are two brothers who are have an endless need for adventure and excitment. Fenton Hardy is thier successful dad who is kmown as the most talented detective in all of Bayport. At times Mr.Hardy will ask his sons to help out with some of the cases he's assassigned with. In this story Mr.Hard is tasked with taking down smugglers. He invites his sons in the case and they gladly accept as they are tasked to look out for any ...more
Jeff Kowalk
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, youth
A great blast from the past! I read all of these growing up, and I only recently discovered that Franklin W. Dixon is a pen name for multiple authors.

This particular story in the Hardy Boys chronicles was written in 1927, and it has held up extremely well for its age. While fashions and societal roles have changed, the mystery is just as comprehensible today as it was back then. Well written, especially considering the age for whom it is intended. Highly recommended if you have young readers
Claire Hutton
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joe
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to
Definitely not as fun as the first in the series. In "The House on the Cliff" we have the least murdery smugglers that have ever existed. And clearly the worst Coast Guard in the world. "The smugglers seem to be operating near that house on the cliff. Should we investigate either the house or the cliff? Nah, let's let a couple of high schoolers figure it out."

That being said it's all worth it for Pretzel Pete! The greatest name since Hobo Johnny.
James Spears
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book very much. I like the. Cliffhanger at the end of each chapter. The theme of drug smuggling was the same problem as it is today only worst and not as
neat. I would recommend this book to older readers of fifth grade on up to Adults who like their mystery clean and still fun. I enjoyed this book as much as did reading Nancy Drew. It's a good book to read to kids out loud.
Lindsay
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This 4-star rating reflects my kindergartener's reaction to this book - he thought it was very exciting. My enthusiasm was tempered by the necessity of excising ethnic and gender cliches on the fly while reading aloud.
Lisa Blair
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great audio book! High suspense as Mr. Hardy is captured by smugglers and the Hardy boys seek to rescue him. Lots of twists and turns keep the suspense throughout the reading of this book. A great read!
Ava Sadler
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The House on the Cliff was about smuggler's and Mystery. I think it was very interesting.
Sebastian Big Brain
I think it was pretty good. it was not as good as the first one. I liked the first one more. I did understand the plot but I wish it was just wish the book was little longer.
Camie Hillegonds
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little predictable, but a good, clean, fun little mystery.
Gem❄️☃️
I'm really enjoying these books which were a childhood favorite. This one is full of suspense, smuggling, kidnapping, and sleuthing. What an adventure!
Linda
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Hardy Boys

This was a nice fast read for me. I enjoyed the Hardys adventures. I look forward to reading more of them.
Kalen Houston
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cliff is a mystery series. It’s a group of boys and two of them has a father who is a detective.Their dad goes missing and they go to find him. It’s a really good mystery book.
Samantha
Honestly, a really nail biting one for the Hardy Boys. I truly loved it, and I will be reading more of the series.
Owen
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was a trainwreck. The characters were all over the place and the writing was atrocious. I get that the dialogue is super dated, but when they talk (and in the normal descriptive writing) they literally say every single thing that is happening in the plot. Nothing is left for the reader to figure out. These books were written for kids/maybe younger teens and I highly doubt that they would have missed everything going on.

I didn't make any notes for examples of this, but I should have. It
Ann♥♪♪♪♪
Hardy Boys #2 The House on the Cliff is a great adventure and mystery filled with suspense and danger. Frank and Joe's search for their dad, Fenton, the risks, the bravery, and the loyalty are all great elements that make this book a real Hardy Boys story and worthy of 5 stars. You can really feel the suspense and concern as you read each page. I defnitely could while reading it. As they searched the cliff, it was like I was there with them, every step, listening, trying to be careful to not be ...more
Emma Frank
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Hardy Boys The House on the Cliff is a thrilling mystery about two brothers who are determined to find their detective father, Fenton Hardy. The boys father is working on a smuggling case but the two boys are eager to help. When the boys are assigned a look out task their tools are mysteriously stolen and strange screams for help are heard with nobody in sight. The boys later discover that their father has disappeared. When they go back to investigate the cliff from the water they discover ...more
Elizabeth Dragina
Most of these you will see are marked three star. Mainly because of the bad editor ship. The mystery is always adventurous, but most times it skips from scene to scene without a connection and has little to no description. A book without description is trash.... so because of personal preference they made it pretty high on my standards. Sorry to disappoint for those who love hardy boys.... but the wording always annoys me.
T Ramon
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Hardy Boys Mysteries. They're like reading Scooby-Doo stories for an advanced audience. Total Saturday morning nostalgia. Extremely cool revisiting the series as an adult. They are more fun now than when I first discovered the series in our town library, so many years back. Can't wait to get to the ones I never read. Great fun!
✨ Gramy ✨
Frank and Joe Hardy and their chums never fail to provide an entertaining and mysterious escapade. These teenagers are very intelligent, resourceful, and mature for their ages.

My grandsons and I enjoyed sharing them together and would recommend them to others.

Each book is a clean read and can stand on its own.
Paxton
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When "I don't really want to call them this but they are kinda like ghost busters" Frank and Joe Hardy investigate there father Fenton's crime when he goes disapearing .A group of smugelers kidnap him.

• The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #4)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #7)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #6)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #5)
  • Secrets Can Kill (Nancy Drew Files, #1)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #10)
  • Double Crossing (A Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Super Mystery #1)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #9)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #8)
  • The Secret of Terror Castle (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Flaming Footprints (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #15)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #1)
  • The Bobbsey Twins of Lakeport (Bobbsey Twins, #1)
  • Schoolhouse Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #10)
  • Bicycle Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #15)
  • Nancy Drew Mystery Stories : The Secret of The Old Clock and The Hidden Staircase
Franklin W. Dixon is the pen name used by a variety of different authors (Leslie McFarlane, a Canadian author, being the first) who wrote The Hardy Boys novels for the Stratemeyer Syndicate (now owned by Simon & Schuster). This pseudonym was also used for the Ted Scott Flying Stories series.

The Hardy Boys (1 - 10 of 190 books)
  • The Tower Treasure (The Hardy Boys, #1)
  • The Secret of the Old Mill (The Hardy Boys, #3)
  • The Missing Chums (The Hardy Boys, #4)
  • Hunting for Hidden Gold (The Hardy Boys, #5)
  • The Shore Road Mystery (The Hardy Boys, #6)
  • The Secret of the Caves (The Hardy Boys, #7)
  • The Mystery of Cabin Island (The Hardy Boys, #8)
  • The Great Airport Mystery (The Hardy Boys, #9)
  • What Happened at Midnight (The Hardy Boys, #10)
  • While the Clock Ticked (Hardy Boys, #11)
“Pretzel Pete said that he had picked up a bit of information that led him to think an East Indian sailor named Ali Singh might be engaged in some smuggling. The vendor did not know what ship he sailed on, but he understood that the man had come ashore for a secret meeting of some gang.” 1 likes
“The boys made a systematic search of the place. They found only one item which might prove to be helpful It was a torn piece of a turkish towel on which the word Polo appeared.” 0 likes