Start by marking “The Sex Diaries Project: What We're Saying about What We're Doing” as Want to Read:
The Sex Diaries Project: What We're Saying about What We're Doing

The Sex Diaries Project: What We're Saying about What We're Doing

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  144 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
In the tradition of The Vagina Monologues and PostSecret, this provocative collection takes a peek behind bedroom doors?satisfying our insatiable desires to look into the private lives of ordinary peopleArianne Cohen spent four years collecting 1,500 Sex Diaries and in this book she takes us on a tantalizing tour of American bedrooms through the all-new, provocative, often ...more
Published January 1st 2012 by Wiley (first published February 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Sex Diaries Project, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sex Diaries Project

Dunrie
May 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I enjoyed her analysis and the stories as well. It is true, these are things we don't discuss with even our closest friends.

Her categorization of relationship types into three categories gave me some food for thought:

Lover Partner Aspirer

And with those categorizations in mind, I looked at strangers on the street differently for a few days. For instance, as I walked to work one morning, I saw on two different downtown Ann Arbor street corners women handing men to-go cups of coffee. In each case
Stephanie
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction

Informative & insightful, this is a great book to read to gain a better idea about different types of relationships. It might even give you a better idea of your own relationship & what you're looking for. If you enjoy a voreyeistic look into other people's lives you'll likely enjoy this book. There is sex naturally but there is also feelings, worries, hopes, openness and all the other things that are part of our romantic relationships.
Bakari
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book turned out better than I thought it would be. Though it's titled Sex Diaries, it's really about relationships. It seems when people give themselves permission to write about their sex lives they are more open and direct about themselves and their partners.

Some parts of Cohen's analysis of the dairies tend to drag on a little too long, but just feel free to skip what you don't want to read.

If you've been in relationships, I guarantee there will be diary entries you can relate to, and
Nicola
Apr 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most fascinating books of my life. It wasn't so much that I learned a lot about sex, but that I learned a lot about the degree to which it concerns people and the inner mono- and dialogues going on (so I now believe) all around us, a great deal of the time. I'll buy this one day, and I know I'll re-read it.

If you're remotely judgemental about people's sexuality, or put off by diversity, I'd say avoid this book ... except that I'd really like to say, READ IT and learn about the extraor
Caitlin
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think I learned more about my own relationships and choices from this book than most any other book that is supposed to be about relationships specifically. The first few chapters were a bit painful and boring to read, but that was because of the particular diarists featured and necessary for Arianne's analysis and conclusions that come later. I really appreciated this book's open, honest, and respectful look at human nature and our societies!
Jordyn
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed parts of this book. I felt like it went on alittle too long and kind of got boring towards the end.
It was also interesting that for a book titled 'The Sex Diaries' there ironically wasn't all that much sex. It was more focused towards people's relationships and their feelings. Which I enjoyed but also would have liked a bit more graphic detail.
All in all. It was a good book just felt that it was a little too long.
Spidermonkeyloo
After the initial intrigue, this book grew a bit tired for me. Personally, I think it could have been half the length. Good to dip in and out of due to the short diary entries (no person was given more than a few pages for their account), but by the halfway mark I had had enough and wanted it to be over! Some of the later entries actually made me feel uncomfortable, as they were so graphic.
To anyone intrigued like I was... I suggest flicking through but not reading cover-to-cover.
Christin
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written by a friend of mine, it's a interesting view into the intimate thoughts and lives of a very diverse group of people. While there are certainly racy sections, as the title suggests, the book is more of a refreshing take on different types of relationships and their priorities. A quick, fun, and interesting read!
Samantha
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This was the first book I read of 2013. I plan to read 24 this year, starting small.
I really enjoyed this book, it gave a very open view into our lives behind closed bedroom doors. I particularly enjoyed her breakdown of relationships into three categories based on how people meet their needs. Overall I think this book is worth reading.
Jen
May 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting that our sex diaries are not primarily about sex. I had the opportunity to meet Ms Cohen and she is as articulate and funny and thoughtful as her collection of diaries. Something for everyone.
Rebecca
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
I guess I expected this book to be more, well, sexy. It turned out to be a little bit boring. I did find interesting the segments about relationships that end at death. And the material about polyamory was eye-opening. How would I ever know about this?
Barbara
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Insightful conclusions drawn from a variety of diaries, led to some introspection about what motivates my relationship choices, both successful and failed. Great stimulus for discussion on the role of sexuality in one's own life.
Cherise Stone
An interesting look into the lives of others. It is more about relationships than sex so don't be fooled by the title!
Daniela
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Quite interesting- it is about relationships really.
Shawn Lahr
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • What Your Mother Never Told You About Sex
  • Wanting Sex Again: How to Rediscover Your Desire and Heal a Sexless Marriage
  • Mermaids 101: Exploring the Magical Underwater World of the Merpeople
  • Brain Trust: 93 Top Scientists Reveal Lab-Tested Secrets to Surfing, Dating, Dieting, Gambling, Growing Man-Eating Plants, and More!
  • The Science of Love and Betrayal
  • Techniques of Pleasure: BDSM and the Circuits of Sexuality
  • When Sex Goes to School: Warring Views on Sex--and Sex Education--Since the Sixties
  • Heart of the City: Nine Stories of Love and Serendipity on the Streets of New York
  • Sexual Intelligence: What We Really Want from Sex--and How to Get It
  • Devices and Desires: A History of Contraceptives in America
  • The Fate of the Species: Why the Human Race May Cause Its Own Extinction and How We Can Stop It
  • Sex and Punishment: Four Thousand Years of Judging Desire
  • The Threesome Handbook: Make the Most of Your Favorite Fantasy - the Ultimate Guide for Tri-Curious Singles and Couples
  • The Great Divorce: a Nineteenth-Century Mother's Extraordinary Fight Against Her Husband, the Shakers, and Her Times
  • F 'em!: Goo Goo, Gaga, and Some Thoughts on Balls
  • Smoke Signals: A Social History of Marijuana - Medical, Recreational and Scientific
  • Big Sex Little Death: A Memoir