Start by marking “Origin in Death (In Death, #21)” as Want to Read:
Origin in Death (In Death, #21)

Origin in Death

(In Death #21)

1 MP3-CD / 11 hours

New York Police Lieutenant Eve Dallas and her partner Peabody enter the hallowed halls of the Wilfred B. Icove Center for Reconstructive and Cosmetic Surgery on a case. A hugely popular vid star has been beaten to a bloody pulp - and has killed her attacker in the process. After a post-op interview, Dallas and Peabody confirm for themselves that it's a c
MP3 CD, Unabridged
Published 2005 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about Origin in Death, please sign up.
Diane Yes, but then you miss the full character(s) development and story continuity. The first ID book I read was "Visions in Death", I did not know that…moreYes, but then you miss the full character(s) development and story continuity. The first ID book I read was "Visions in Death", I did not know that there were other books in the series. I looked at the front of the book again and saw a list, then I hunted up all the books before Visions and read them diligently (have read the full series 4 times now - am on my 5th [reading Thankless right now]).(less)

Phrynne
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4000-books
Another outstanding effort in this brilliant series. This is my second time reading through the whole set and I am enjoying it every bit as much as I did the first time!

Peabody and Eve are the stars in Origin in Death. They seem to have arrived at a state where Peabody says exactly what she thinks and Eve takes it, although always coming back with great lines of her own. Their relationship is altogether delightful and laugh out loud funny. Roarke and Eve are in good form too although I sometimes
Mo
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Perfection. Does it exist? Can it be manufactured? And if it is being manufactured, who is behind it? Who is gaining from it?

Another great read. Book 21! Honestly, I don't know how she does it. I will definitely take a break after this one ... read something a bit lighter.

The doctor kept a secret, and secrets were what haunted. Secrets were what hurt. She should know.

"It was death that brought me and Eve together, and as frothy as it sounds there are times I feel as though that was when I too
Karla
4.5 Stars! 21 books in and this series it's still going strong...at least for me!

What I love most about this series is the character development. Not only are the crimes imaginative, and the police procedures interesting...this one had a strong sci-fi element... and the characters aren't one-dimensional. Their personalities are getting stronger, and they are coming into their own. From the beginning of the series to this book, about 18 months has passed, and the pace in which the characters are
Hulya Kara Yuksel
Wow this one was just like a Sci/Fi movie! I FLOVED it!!!

J.D.Robb (Nora Roberts) never disappoints me... 👏👏👏
Jilly
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
There are so many stories of men trying to build the "perfect woman" that you have to question the lack of insight and self-awareness of these guys.

The perfect-created woman of the 1980's.

The perfect-created women of the 1990's

1970's & 2000's (the Stepford Wives)

At least she gets to kill people...

I mean, come on, guys, it's not like you are all so great and we are letting you down with our "imperfections". It's a two-way street here.

Of course our "perfect man" is a cookie. It makes complete
Mei
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary

Since the beginning of the series I was expecting this issue to come up! And here it is!!!
It’s really creepy to think that this leitmotiv is a very old one! And here it was explored very well!

Still, apart from this very thorny idea, there’re, as always some really funny moments! Which is why I love this series!!!

““But it’s programmed in, Dallas. They don’t live or think.”
“They want you to believe that. They talk to each other through their little chips and boards, and are probably plotting to
Alex ♈
Suspense 4.5 stars / Romance 4.5 stars

Extremely interesting and unique plot. One of the books I was on the killer’s side, I admired her (yes, the killer was a woman!) and even cried at the end.
Beauty, cloning, beauty.

The romance was sweet and perfect;
I just didn’t get why they wrote about one of Roarke’s exes at the beginning? Was it really necessary? Invite them all in one story, make an orgy and let it go!

Eve… my love!

Jo ★The Book Sloth★
5 Can't Go Wrong With In Death STars

This book was completely "out there" even for a futuristic series like In Death but it was so freaking exciting that it didn't matter.

Still waiting for Eve to get over her issues though!
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (On Hiatus)
3 STARS

The storyline seemed a little to far fetched to me. I liked the concept but felt like the plot was a bit too over dramatized,especially around the last 20% of the book.

The book ending quite abruptly and a lot of my favourite characters made much less of an appearance in this book than the others in the series.

So; A 3 stars.
Aly is so frigging bored
2nd Read from November 1 to 16, 2015

1st Read from August 19 to 24, 2013

Everyone should read this book, everyone! It doesn't matter if you read the ones before and don't know the characters, you can catch up along the way... The mind-fuck of this story is just too great to pass up!

Ann Lou
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After 21 books I would have to say that absolutely nothing could go wrong in this books. They are brilliant. They riveting. They are my newest addiction.

So, with book 21 it's a bit different from the other installments. It's unique. And I don't know what to make of myself at this but when I found out the motive for the killings, I was rooting for the killer.

Basically, the father of reconstructive surgery and his son is killed efficiently and in a controlled manner. Eve is the primary and found
Robin
Sep 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, mystery
A prominent Cosmetic Surgeon is found dead in his office, a scalpel in his heart. As Detective Eve Dallas investigates, she begins to believe the killer was a professional. The doctor's records are coded. What was he hiding? Who would want him dead? As Eve uncovers records of young women being treated by the doctor and his son, she begins to suspect that they are selling these women into prostitution. But when the younger doctor turns up dead, Eve recognizes that she was wrong about what the doc ...more
Ira
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one rather spooky..
And this book will make Eve's popular rating higher up, lol and Nadine become famous later in the series!:)
Caro
Mar 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-death
Another awesome read! Emotions, suspense, super evilness, good bad guys, sweetness, some twists, action, surprises, family and a good ending. Another great read that had me burning through the pages. The relationships were great, humor had me laughing or snickering, tight spots had me holding my breath and the ending left me with a smile. A super good book in a series that gets better and better. Can't wait to read the next! Enjoy!
CatBookMom
One of the best, even if the ending is rather shoot-em-up and explody.
Carol
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FIRST READ: This story was quite creepy and it involved family members as well as young children and genetics. A prominent Cosmetic Surgeon is found dead in his office, a scalpel in his heart. As Detective Eve Dallas investigates, she begins to believe the killer was a professional. The doctor's records are coded. What was he hiding? Who would want him dead? As Eve uncovers records of young women being treated by the doctor and his son, she begins to suspect that they are selling these women int ...more
**Manjula ♥ Connor Cobalt**
Roarke and Eve are discussing the arrival of his relatives from Ireland!... OMG, hilarious!

"Should we have something separate for the children, do you think?"
"What?" Eve frowned at him as she poked at the food on her plate. Oh, that. Hell, I don't know. You're supposed to know how to do this stuff."
His face was a mirror of his frustration. "And how am I supposed to know how to do something I've never done before?" He scowled into his wine. "It's unnerving, that's what it is."
"You could contact t
İlkim
Tam bir bilim-kurgu romanı gibiydi bu sefer. Hani gelecekte geçen bir seri ama bu sefer cidden bilim-kurguyu iliklerine kadar hissettirdi. Çılgın bilim adamı dolu bir kitaptı, gerisini siz anlayın.
Somia
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Well the plot of this one was certainly somewhat different to what has come before, with a sci-fi element to it, and with how technology is going and the contours of human nature and arrogance/greed of some, I can see this possibly happening.

Initially I wasn’t sure how much I would like this one, but the pace picked up pretty quickly, after the second murder I was avidly reading and I found my fingers twitching to get back to it when I had to put the book down.

What I like about this series is th
Steve
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, in-death
Even more than the previous in the series, I couldn't put this down. The action picked up very quickly from the first page, and through some nice plot twists and turns, came a delicious climax, of which the build-up hit me like a hammer blow. Including a bunch of off-case things was an excellent touch and had me grinning, and I agreed with more use of the side cast in this book. The final battle as it were was a tad farcical, but fit well in the theme of the book. The resolution didn't really re ...more
Diane
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this book more and more every time I read it. Scary thought that this science could actually happen - maybe not by 2059, but still ...

Lots of action and bantering in this one. Great dynamics among all the key players!

Two thumbs up and 5 stars!
Lyn* Nomad *Worlds await*
I'd forgotten how much fun this book was - Eve and Roarke's interactions were at times playful and I totally cracked up, especially all the friend moments.
Belles
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z2018
Well written and intense, even though I found the underlying events to be distasteful (as the author meant them to be).
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
Reread Dec. 2017
Kris
What the *&^% did I just read? Surely our tough, intelligent police Lieutenant did NOT just have a meltdown hissy fit over her partner making her a salon appointment. O.o

And on WHAT planet would a person, man or woman, regardless of their upbringing, reach the position of Police Lieutenant and have absolutley NO concept that she should dress professionally to go interview powerful people???

This book is so amateurly written I keep wanting to reach for a blue pencil. The dialog is stilted - wh
Lauren
Origin in Death
4.5 Stars

Eve and her team investigate the cold-blooded murder of a world renowned expert in reconstructive and cosmetic surgery. As the case unfolds, it becomes apparent that the "good doctor" was involved in some exceedingly controversial experiments whose consequences may have serious moral, social and legal implications.

While the characterization in these books is excellent, my preference, as a plot driven reader, is for stories that focus more on the mysteries. In this respec
Kara-karina
May 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books in this series (and I'm telling this to you looking back from catching up to almost all of them). Very convoluted, futuristic plot worthy of a movie. There is a huge moral battle, many emotional moments and an incredible ending. The consequences of this book will echo in many more books in the future so you can not miss it! Roarke and Eve come very close to dying. Very much recommended.

* * *

Одна из лучших книг серии с сюжетом, заслуживающим полноценного превращения в кинофи
Kathy Davie
This story is a major case in Eve's life and, again, repeatedly, she comes to the rescue while in between her crimesolving, she and Roarke learn how to celebrate with family.
this book 9 62 Mar 12, 2019 07:02PM
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Origin In Death (Nov. 2014) Spoiler Zone 90 37 Dec 06, 2014 12:51PM
  • A Touch of Minx (Samantha Jellicoe, #5)
  • Orchid (St. Helen's, #3)
  • Hades
  • Hot Ice
  • Sympathy Between Humans (Sarah Pribek #2)
  • Truth or Dare (Whispering Springs, #2)
  • Concealed in Death: by J. D. Robb -- Review
  • Hot Target (Troubleshooters, #8)
  • Naked Edge (I-Team, #4)
  • The Better to Hold You (Abra Barrow #1)
  • Now You See Her
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Leverage in Death, on sale September 2018, is the 47th ...more

In Death (1 - 10 of 49 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
“The doll, Dallas. You know, Barbie doll. Jeez, didn't you ever have dollies?"
"Dolls are like small dead people. I have enough dead people, thanks.”
76 likes
“As for her cat, Galahad made an appearance, regally ignored everyone under four feet until he clued in that this variety of humans was more likely to drop food on the floor, or sneak him handouts. He ended in a gluttonous coma, tubby belly up under a table.” 12 likes