Start by marking “Witness in Death (In Death, #10)” as Want to Read:
Witness in Death (In Death, #10)

Witness in Death (In Death #10)

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  22,487 Ratings  ·  693 Reviews
1 MP3-CD / 10 hours

Opening night at New York's New Globe Theater turns from stage scene to crime scene when the leading man is stabbed to death center stage. Now Eve Dallas has a high profile, celebrity homicide on her hands. Not only is she lead detective, she's also a witness - and when the press discovers that her husband owns the theater, there's more media spotlight t
MP3 CD, Unabridged, 10 pages
Published May 28th 2007 by Brilliance Audio (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Witness in Death, please sign up.

Sara ♥ #11 – Judgment in Death.

Here's a link to the series here on goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/series/4102...

Or, you can get to that page from any…more
#11 – Judgment in Death.

Or, you can get to that page from any of the book's pages. Under the book's description, click "More Details..." then next to Series click "In Death #10".(less)

Phrynne
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh I am so enjoying my reread of this series! This is number ten and it is still every bit as good as the previous nine books! I realise the author has a formula which never changes from book to book but it does not matter at all. It is what she does with that formula that counts and J.D. Robb is a master.
In this particular book everything revolves around Agatha Christie right down to the way the final scene plays out with all the possible murderers gathered together while Eve does the grand exp
Carolyn
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book ten in this series and I feel I'm well and truly settled into it to the point where the characters have become old friends. Roarke and Eve are still feeling their way in their lives together producing a few sparks and a lot of passion and romance. There is a lot of humour in their relationship and both are learning to give and take from each other. Peabody is enjoying her two men, classy outings with Charles and hot sex with McNab, but is good at hiding her true feelings from herself. Fun t ...more
♥Sharon♥
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this series. Ten books in and I still cannot get enough of these two main characters. Roarke & Eve, I adore both of them. Then you have these wonderful side characters that continue to grow and shine in their own right. There is Peabody, Feeney, McNabb and even a new addition, Trueheart. Round them off with Galahad (the family cat) and you get this perfect blend of characters.

I won’t go into the plot at all but I couldn’t agree more with a comment in a review I read where
Mo
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I cannot give these books less than 4 stars. I could do with a bit more Roarke and Eve time.

...When a celebrity is killed right before her eyes, New York detective Eve Dallas takes a new place in crime—as both officer and witness to murder...

Love had narrowed the distance, then had all but eradicated it.

She'd saved him ... the first moment he'd locked eyes with her. As impossible as it should have
Poonam
“Death is just the last scene of the last act.”― Joyce Carol Oates

A murder is committed as the last act of a theater performance in front of the whole cast, crew and thousand's of people who have come to watch this play including Eve Dallas.

As the story progresses we come to know that the Theater world is filled with people who like to perform on stage and outside of it, that relationships are not that simple in this world and you never know who is acting and who is genuine.

We also discover th
Jilly
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
"Peabody, am I an ass-kicker?"

"Are you asking to see my scars or is that a trick question?"

"Shut up, Peabody."

Okay, I admit it, Eve's grouchy, rude personality is growing on me. She kind of cracks me up.

"Great sweater, by the way. Is it cashmere?"

Baffled, Eve looked down at her navy turtleneck. "I don't know. It's blue."

Yeah, I can relate to not giving a damn about shopping. She's lucky to have a husband who buys her nice things that she can't appreciate.

So, in this book we have a murder tha
Anita
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great mix of romance, and mystery. NR takes us further in the saga of Eve, Roarke and their friends and associates. We a closer look at Peabody, Eve's partner, her burgeoning relationship with McNab, the geek techno wizard and Peabody's sex squeeze and Charles, her LC friend. Nadine Furst, the channel 75 news reporter, becomes more of a central character in this book due to her relationship with the deceased. A treat, for me anyway, is the reappearance of newbie police officer Troy Trueheart f ...more
Shawna
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cop-bodyguard-govop-merc-military, romantic-suspense, horror-mystery-suspense-thrillers, author-nora-roberts-jd-robb, hero-im-gaga-over, heroine-i-adore, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, favorite-romance-series, hero-stud-mantel-hall-of-fame, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, hero-i-wanna-marry, scifi-futuristic-fantasy-misc-pnr, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, series-in-death, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, hero-commoner-self-made, married-couples-married-convenience, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, favorite-hottest-love-scenes-nookie, hero-attractive-handsome-heartthrob, 3-to-4-stars, steam-2-warm, hh-post-traumatic-stress-disorder, hh-rags-to-riches, hero-daddy-warbucks-wealthy, hero-too-yummy-perfect-to-be-true, hero-besotted-so-smitten-its-sexy, hero-or-heroine-or-setting-irish, heroine-miss-independent, a-all-time-favorite-heroine, a-all-time-favorite-hero, hero-entrepreneur-mogul-tycoon-ceo, hh-famous-celebrity, best-friendships, best-secondary-characters-ensemble, heroine-plucky-lively-feisty-spunky, heroine-hoyden, violence-reader-discretion-advised, hero-alpha, hero-sharp-dressed-man, hero-hot-car-sexy-costly-ride, hero-dark-scary-cool-dangerous-dude, heroine-sassy-full-of-attitude, all-work-no-play-on-the-job-romance, hero-my-romancelandia-husband-harem, hero-sexy-suit-tie-wearing-bad-boy, hh-same-couple-trilogy-or-series, hero-protective, hero-business-owner, hero-husband-worthy-swoonalicious, a-all-time-favorite-hh-couples, hero-uber-filthy-rich-bazillionaire, hero-poor-lower-class-background, heroine-uber-damaged-scarred, hero-uber-damaged-scarred, 2017-reads, heroine-cynical, crime-mystery-suspense-thriller-fic, fave-hero-ever-marry-me-roarke, best-fave-brilliant-worldbuilding
3.5-4 stars - Romantic Suspense/Sci-Fi/Futuristic/Thriller

Roarke. . . . . . . . . .

They needed each other.
Two lost souls, he thought, taking a moment to walk to the tall windows that looked out on part of the world he’d built for himself out of will, desire, sweat, and dubiously accumulated funds. Two lost souls whose miserable beginnings had forged them into what appeared to be polar opposites.
Love had narrowed the distance, then had all but eradicated it.
She’d saved him. The night his life h
Mei
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Review to come!
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
Still love Roarke.

Re-read
July 5-8,2017
What can I say. I love me some Roadie time.
Kjen
More Roarke and Eve re-read awesomeness! The seduction scene...omg!...no need to say more(; And then the ending: "You can't go back. Can't fix what broke. But you can go forward. And every step matters. Every one makes a difference." She cupped his face in her hands. "From where I'm standing, you're the best step I ever took." Sweeeeet!

Re-read in preparation for Echoes...Feb 2017:)
Lisa Kay
The fabulous Marlene Dietrich in Agatha Christie’s wonderful “Witness for the Prosecution,” the play Roarke and Eve go to see.
description

★★★★★ & a Wow! & a Whoa! (This is a review of the audiobook.) Susan Ericksen narrates these characters as if she wrote them instead of J.D. Robb, she knows them that well. Her narration lets us know them better, too!

Loved this one. Adore all of them, actually, but this one was extra-extraordinary. I think it is one of the best in the series. The homage to Agatha
Ann Lou
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've said this in my other reviews with the previous books and I am afraid I have to say it again here. Sometimes I think Eve is too much or her methods are a bit much. But she gets the result in the end. She comes out hard, cold, detached and emotionless but readers of this series knows better. She breaks. She feels. She's not just an easy person to like or love. Her relationship with Roarke makes her more human.

I couldn't for the life of me guess who done it. I guessed a few but turned out wr
Kim. E.
Many times I tried to place this edition, the one I actually OWN, as my edition of this book.

I even took time to write a review for this book, the one I actually read, but Goodread's kept switching me over to the other one, which was a lie. GR says I shelved the other edition, and I did, once. Every time I switched GR moved back to other.

I won't repeat my review again, after this mess. Just know if you're a fan, you'll enjoy.
Breann

Eve & Roarke are such a wonderful couple and even though this is their tenth book, their relationship is still growing and changing. Eve really stretched herself in proving her love for Roarke. It was very sweet & endearing. Two words I never thought I'd associate with Eve. I loved it. On the flipside, Roake had an "insert foot in mouth" moment, which made this entire book worth the read.
The man does have faults! Smiley Praise Jesus! Smiley

Oh Peabody. The real star of the show. Smiley
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Posted on Under the Covers

A man is murdered right before Lt. Eve Dallas’s eyes.

My favourite cop and her hunky husband Roarke go out to attend a play. Undoubtedly enjoying the fact that Roarke owns the theatre, Eve feels like she can finally relax a bit.

But when someone takes the death of a character into literal means and stabs the superstar of the show, Darco dies with a single stab through the heart.

Eve soon finds out that actors are very good liars because she is thrown this way and that way
Camila, the opinionated Catruler
Fully reviewing every book in the series makes no sense because the main characters are always on point. Sometimes some more are added to the squad, sometimes old faces become important. But at the end of the day, we'll never stop loving them. Especially McNab. If you don't worship McNab, you don't deserve to have the privilege to read this series.

However, what changes from book to book is the plot. Some are incredibly entertaining, some are creepy as fuck (the best ones always are). Some are ev
Diane
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-reading
Every time I read this book, I like it more if that's possible. The whole world is a stage - basically sums up this book. Lies, deceit, and more lies - gotta love thespians!

Love the scene with Eve preparing for a seductive evening with Roarke - too funny, poor girl!

Still wondering about that cone-shaped thing that tinkles - have no idea how that works ;)

5 stars and 2 thumbs up!
Lauren
Witness in Death
4 Stars

In her newest case, homicide lieutenant Eve Dallas finds herself in uncharted territory when she, along with the entire audience, witnesses the murder of an actor during a performance. Before long, Eve and her team are up to their necks in suspects and motives as the victim was uniformly despised by one and by all.

An excellent homage to Agatha Christie's mysteries in general and to her play, Witness for the Prosecution, in particular. Reading this book brought back fond m
Anastasia
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Witness in Death by J.D.Robb is the 10th book in the In Death series. Lieutenant Eve Dallas is accompanying her husband to the opening of a production of Agatha Christies Witness for the Prosecution when the actor playing Leonard Vole is murdered on stage for real. This is probably my most favourite of the series mainly due to the Agatha Christie references and parallels. Plenty of action, lots of twists and hot sizzling romance culminating in a dramatic revelation. Another amazing book.
Elvan
Jun 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, audiobooks
I used to think this was one of my least favourite InDeaths. I've changed my mind. JD Robb shows us how the old adage of "show don 't tell" should be done. Two scenes are pure examples of this...well maybe three, the scene in the train station when Eve is hunting Kenneth Stiles, the laugh out loud ( and I did) scene where a drunken Peabody and Eve have a conversation during Peabody and McNabb's first date and finally the murderer reveal on stage where the original murder occurred. Masterful. Gre ...more
Susan (susayq ~)
I don't know if it's cause it's been such a long time since I read the last one in this series or what, but I loved this installment of this series! I found myself laughing in several places. I enjoyed the development of Peabody and McNab's relationship and I liked how Eve was more relatable in here. She seemed more vulnerable and she was easier to like :) I know I won't wait another 8 months before reading the next one ;)
Paula
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book in this series. As always the narrator makes this series so great.
Lisazj1
Eve Dallas is my hero, y'all. Not even kidding.

I loved it! And I'm so enjoying Peabody needling Eve about Peabody and McNab's relationship, you don't even know! <3
Melann
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J'ai l'impression que cette série va devenir ma lecture doudou. Quand rien ne me fait envie, quand j'aurai envie d'un Connors, oppp, un inédit d'Eve Dallas (c'est cool, j'ai encore pas mal de marge !).
Car oui, Connors, soupirs...
İlkim
Bu yorumu Kitap Esintisi sayfasında bulabilirsiniz.

Bu kitabı aslında bir süre önce okudum, yalnız etrafımdan gelen baskılara dayanamayıp (!) yorumunu öne çektim. Şimdi kitapta Eve Dallas var, Roarke var, yazarı da Nora… Yani karakterleri övmekle zaman geçiremeyeceğim, çünkü ikisi de özellikle Roarke favorilerimden. Aşkları, aralarındaki ilişki, farklı kişilikleri, ortak geçmişleri sizi hala çekmediyse daha da çekmez zaten.

Bu kitapta Nora’nın zihnine girmeyi başardım nihayet. Öncelikle olaylardan
Tina
Jan 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, mystery
This is the 10th book of the In Death series.

It is the last gasp of winter in Early 2059. Eve and her husband, the megalicious billionaire Roarke are at the theatre (Roarke's, natch) on opening night of a performance of Agatha Christie's A Witness for the Prosecution.. In a case of life imitating art, the actor who plays the villainous Vole is murdered, right there on stage in front of the whole crowd. The prop knife replaced by a real one.

Who wanted the handsome lead actor dead? Well as it turn
Shari Kay
May 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
3.5 ✭

I didn't like this one as much as some others, though I thought the who dun it was great and kept you guessing until the end.

My enjoyment of the In Death series seems to go the way of how much I like Eve in any particular installment. Sorry to say, I wasn't too keen on her this time around.

I find Eve can be a bit... hypocritical at times, and it rubs me the wrong way.

She sneers a lot, and can be very rude. Especially to people who are not looking down on her, but are only trying to do t
Katherine 黄爱芬
Kematian dramatis aktor Richard Draco saat pementasan, membuat Eve Dallas hrs bekerja keras utk menemukan siapa pembunuhnya. Dlm penyelidikannya, tersingkaplah rahasia kelam Draco 24 thn sebelumnya. Pihak-pihak manakah yg menginginkan kematian Draco sedemikian spektakuler?

Kali ini saya merasa buku ini rada banyak melenceng dari kasus, seperti Peabody yg mabok minuman keras dan mabok cinta, Eve yg merayu Roarke dll mendapatkan porsi lebih banyak drpd buku2 sebelumnya. Unsur suspense yg biasanya j
J.D. Robb : Witness In Death Buddy Read - Nov. 2016 58 39 Apr 01, 2017 05:04PM
J.D. Robb : Witness In Death (Spoiler Zone) 15 121 Nov 25, 2016 04:27AM
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Witness In Death (Feb. 2014) SPOILER ZONE 80 53 Nov 27, 2014 03:01PM
Readers of Kindle...: Witness in Death #10 2 9 Feb 16, 2012 08:24AM
  • Remember When (In Death, #17.5)
  • After Glow (Ghost Hunters, #2)
  • Beyond Seduction (The Red Choo Diaries) (Harlequin Blaze #321)
  • Hades (Andrews, Russell)
  • A Touch of Minx (Samantha Jellicoe, #5)
  • To Die For (Blair Mallory, #1)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Secrets in Death, on sale September 2017, is the 45th e ...more
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 46 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Judgment in Death (In Death, #11)

“I hate patience. Slows everything down.” 106 likes
“Today," she told it, "death comes to all your circuits. Will it be slow and systematic or fast and brutal?" Considering, she circled it, "Tough decision. I've waited so long for this moment. Dreamed of it."

Showing her teeth, she began to roll up her sleeves.

"What," Roarke asked from the doorway that connected their work areas, "is that?"

"The former bane of my existence. The Antichrist of technology. Do we have a hammer?"

Studying the pile on the floor, he walked in. "Several, I imagine, of various types."

"I want all of them. Tiny little hammers, big, wallbangers, and everything in between."

"Might one ask why?"

"I'm going to beat this thing apart, byte by byte, until there's nothing left but dust from the last trembling chip."

"Hmmm." Roarke crouched down, examined the pitifully out-of-date system. "When did you haul this mess in here?"

"Just now. I had it in the car. Maybe I should use acid, just stand here and watch it hiss and dissolve. That could be good."

Saying nothing, Roarke took a small case out of his pocket, opened it, and chose a slim tool. With a few deft moves, he had the housing open.

"Hey! Hey! What're you doing?"

"I haven't seen anything like this in a decade. Fascinating. Look at this corrosion. Christ, this is a SOC chip system. And it's cross-wired."

When he began to fiddle, she rushed over and slapped at his hands. "Mine. I get to kill it."

"Get a grip on yourself," he said absently and delved deeper into the guts. "I'll take this into research."

"No. Uh-uh. I have to bust it apart. What if it breeds?”
91 likes