Start by marking “The Honor Due a King (The Bruce Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Honor Due a King (The Bruce Trilogy, #3)

The Honor Due a King (The Bruce Trilogy #3)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  466 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
(THE BRUCE TRILOGY: BOOK III)

In the dawn of a kingdom, loyalties and lies collide.

The truth will change England and Scotland forever.

In the triumphant aftermath of Bannockburn, Robert the Bruce faces unfamiliar battles. His wife Elizabeth, held captive in England for eight long years, has finally returned home to Scotland. With his marriage in ruin and hopes for an heir q
Published (first published October 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Honor Due a King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Honor Due a King

Richard Myers
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book

This last book in the series deals with Robert the Bruce’s hard fought reign as King of Scotland. His wife gives him several children and one of them grows up to be the King. It is sad to read how a man begins to age and can’t do the things that he did when he was younger. I recommend this book to everyone.
Lonni
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard to finish this this third one, since I knew it doesn't end happily. Though there is lots of fiction, particularly romance in this trilogy, the battles and who wins remains true.
Rebecca
Oct 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I became deeply involved with the protagonists of this trilogy in the course of reading the first and second books: The Crown in the Heather and Worth Dying For. Each character, from Robert the Bruce to his arch enemy, Edward the Second, began as strangers to me but with each sentence and chapter I read, with each book I opened, they were polished, fleshed out and deepened until I could almost see them before me, see their expressions as I dipped into their hearts and minds. Yes, I fell a little ...more
Nicole Gerrand
Oct 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is as good or even better than the preceding two book in this trilogy. Everything about the lives of Robert the Bruce and James Douglas, the politics, the battles, the romance and their families is well written in the right details The poetic license with historical facts is acceptable and the story is told with a passion and depth of belief that you can imagine the character themselves having
Deb
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So very sad to have the series end. I love how the story was written, with Robert the Bruce, James Douglas , and Edward II, each taking a chapter. The characters were very realistic and three dimensional. You got to know not only their manly side through the fight scenes and their heart through the way they treated each other and the ladies in their lives.
jim miller
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Km

Great book and so true. to that time period now I will read the first of the series that's me read the last one first but I Will enjoy them both thanks for great reading ☺😀😇 posted
Karen Hackett
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book and the Trilogy!
Katharyn Ahart
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I could put it down.

I cried often, loved every word. Stars up late to fin I it. Loved the whole trilogy. Scotland owes much to The Bruce.

Allison  Macias
Nov 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Honor Due a King is the final bittersweet installment of N Gemini Sasson's The Bruce Trilogy. After defeating England, Scotland is finally free. Robert is now able to be the King he dreamed of being. With his family returned to his side, he begins to rebuild Scotland. But there are problems plaguing Robert that can't be solved on a battlefield. Elizabeth shirks from Robert, and Marjorie is in love with someone other than her betrothed. Will the Scottish Crown ever be rid of its problems?
As
Therese
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Therese by: I read the previous two books
$3.99 – 3.5 stars

Now that Robert the Bruce is more than just the King of Scotland in name, it is up to him to continue to keep the peace, settle disputes, and conquer border uprisings as they occur. His wife, Elizabeth, is now back from eight years of imprisonment, but they don’t really know each other anymore. They both have been through so much. Robert continues to rely on James Douglas, and soon King Robert marries his only daughter to Walter Stewart, fulfilling a long-ago promise he made to
Carol
Nov 13, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I would go more 2.5.

I really like that it changes perspectives with the chapters so that the reader gets the full picture of what is going on, and this is a time period I normally enjoy reading.

While I see the potential in the characters, I did not feel like I really attached to any of them. I started really liking Majorie, (view spoiler) Maybe this would have been improved if I had read the first two books in the series.

I felt like some part
Lisa
Nov 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Poof! Like that, the little sympathy I may have had for Edward II while reading book 2 of this trilogy, it evaporated instantly while reading The Honor Due a King. The difference between King Edward II and Robert the Bruce King of Scotland is vast. Edward II felt that he never got the respect and honor due a king. "I, who have done nothing wrong but be something less than my sire." Disinterested, unable to rule his kingdom wisely, Edward II never earned the honor due a king.

Robert the Bruce, on
Faith Cummings
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Honor Due a King: A story of two kings and their ends

This is the third book in the Robert the Bruce Trilogy. Throughout this trilogy, the main characters have been Robert the Bruce, king of Scotland, James Douglas, his closest comrade in arms, and King Edward the 2nd of England. All three of these men are portrayed as heroes, but trageic and fallen men as well. This book tells of their last few years, and how they all died in the end, one of disease, one of treachery and grief, and one in ba
Cindy
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I simply could not put this book down! Knowing what was going to happen in the end made it hard, but it was a super book! This is the final chapter of Sasson's trilogy about Robert the Bruce, James Douglas, and King Edward II of England. Telling if from 3 different characters' point-of-view must have been very difficult for the writer, but she did an excellent job. I even felt sorry for King Edward and how he was treated in the end, even though he did terrible things to the Scotland. I fully int ...more
May
Jan 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this trilogy well enough. As a Scot, I am fascinated with Robert The Bruce. The author's choice to switch back and forth between Robert the Bruce, James Campbell and Edward II was interesting and helped keep the Reader informed of what was going on personally and politically at the same time with each character.

This was a comfortable read, perfect for an snowy afternoon, but not as well researched as some... Nigel Trantor, Elizabeth Chadwick, Philippa Gregory come to mind.

tara
Ah, 4.5 stars. Very well written. Well-defined and vibrant writing — considering how murky historical fiction literature can be when dealing with so many characters, titles, countries, wars, and OMG…the tangled blood relations that are beyond what we would consider a complicated family tree these days.
If it wasn't for another author, Sharon Penman, being the master storyteller of this genre, I would easily have rated it 5 stars.

(This is the third and last book of the "The Bruce Trilogy.")
Ian R. Miller
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The last of a trilogy

So comes to an end the story of probably Scotland's greatest king. A story part truth, part fiction but one that shows the king with all his weaknesses as well ad strengths. The author successfully brings these well known characters in Scotland's past and allows us into their lives whilst giving a glimpse of what Scotland was like in the early years of her hard won independence.
Jackie Stanton
Jan 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical fiction fans
I was so sorry to finish this, the third of the Robert the Bruce series. It was as excellent as the previous two novels. Sasson exhibits great skill in making history come to life, from horrendously graphic battle scenes to the most tender love scenes. Her characters are rich and believable. I highly recommend this series about three fascinating and very different men: Robert the Bruce, James Douglas, and Edward II of England.
Marilyn
This is #3 is Sasson's trilogy about Robert the Bruce. It is excellent. I got so wrapped up in the characters. Unfortunately, I got confused and read this book before reading #2 in the trilogy. Lesson: when downloading a whole series to a Kindle, download #3 first, then #2, etc. That way, on the Home Page, they will be listed in their proper order, #1, #2, #3, etc.
♫Angielee♫
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A well written trilogy about Robert the Bruce and those around him during his fight for the Scotland crown and his reign as King. Sasson does a wonderful job of building these fascinating people and you really feel as though you know them.
Cheryl
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-edition
This was such a great series I hate for it to end. This series combined with the two-part series on Isabella and Simon de Montfort make a wonderful 5 book package.. I cannot wait to read more from this author.
Steven
Apr 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice wrapping up of the trilogy. Not quite as compelling for me as the first two books, but Sasson tied up all the loose ends. This is a more feminine book than the first two, focusing on the loves of James Douglas while the cockpit of kingdoms serves as a background rather than the main plot.
Brenda
May 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first thought Book 1 was the best, but this one topped it. I so enjoyed this and am glad I tried this author. I recommend reading all three. Although each one could be read on its own, the whole story unfolds in sequence.
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite of the trilogy, and also probably the most historically inaccurate, though not terribly so.
Amy
Nov 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nook, n-gemeni-sasson
I enjoyed this thrid book as much as I enjoyed the first two in this trilogy. The characters draw you in and keep you turning pages. Worth your time.
Bob Davidson
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Good historical fiction.

The trilogy is a good read for historical fiction readers. The author does a great job switching between the characters and maintaining your attention.
Shelly
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england
Read all three of these books! They are very good!
Susana
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
The story of a great man Robert the Bruce, and another one, grown on his shadow James Douglas. Loved this book. The trilogy was very interesting and light to read.
Vicki
Nov 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the development and contrast of these three men. although fiction, I learned a lot about Robert the Bruce, his enemies, his allies and their battle for Scotlands freedom.
Cacki
Jul 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dragged at the end....but a good read
  • A Kingdom's Cost (The Douglas Trilogy, #1)
  • The Bruce Trilogy: The Steps to the Empty Throne / The Path of the Hero King / The Price of the King's Peace (Robert the Bruce, #1-3)
  • The King's Favourite Son (John Plantagenet Trilogy, #1)
  • The Rose of York: Crown of Destiny (The Rose of York Trilogy, #2)
  • To Defy a King (William Marshal, #5; Bigod, #2)
  • Isabel the Fair
  • Beloved Enemy: The Passions of Eleanor of Aquitaine
  • I Serve: A Novel of the Black Prince
  • Crown in Candlelight
  • Wife to the Bastard
  • The Lion of Justice (Norman Trilogy, #2)
  • The Flame of Resistance (The Lost King, #1)
  • The Reckoning  (Welsh Princes, #3)
  • Blood Will Tell: A Medical Explanation of the Tyranny of Henry VIII
  • The Lion at Bay (Kingdom #2)
  • Hetaera (Agathon's Daughter #1)
Former teacher and track coach. Runner, gardener, dog lover and sometimes farmer. Author of medieval historical fiction: The Crown in the Heather (The Bruce Trilogy: Book I), Worth Dying For (The Bruce Trilogy: Book II) and Isabeau, A Novel of Queen Isabella and Sir Roger Mortimer.
More about N. Gemini Sasson

The Bruce Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Crown in the Heather (The Bruce Trilogy, #1)
  • Worth Dying For (The Bruce Trilogy, #2)

Fiction Deals

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
    $14.99 $2.99
  • Bachelor Girl
  • The Wednesday Sisters
    $11.99 $1.99
“Friends they were, above all. Not servants. Not soldiers. Not subjects. But friends that I loved and to whom I owed everything. I had been blessed to know them. Honored that I was struck with a dream I could not part from. A simple dream. Freedom. All men are born free. We Scots have merely fought for what God intended us to have.” 0 likes