Start by marking “How to Eat a Cupcake” as Want to Read:
How to Eat a Cupcake

How to Eat a Cupcake

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  6,717 Ratings  ·  951 Reviews
“An irresistible blend of sweet and tart, this book is truly a treat to be savored.”
—Beth Kendrick, author of The Bake Off and Second Time Around

“A sparkling, witty story about an unlikely, yet redemptive, friendship….Grab one of these for your best friend and read it together—preferably with a plate of Meyer Lemon cupcakes nearby.”
—Katie Crouch, bestselling author of Girl
Published March 13th 2012 by William Morrow Paperbacks

Christie
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'll admit the "idea" of a book that involved cupcakes intrigued me. Maybe I was just hungry for something sweet at the time. And this book did encourage that craving...

How to Eat a Cupcake is a light read. It is slow-going at first, but by the last third of the book it does pick up its pace (finally). But unfortunately if you can hang on that long, your patience isn't really rewarded. I was hoping for a sweet story of lost friendship found. And while that is a small part of the main storyline,
Linda C
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
This book was like an underbaked cupcake. Too many flavors, too many themes and way, way too many cliches. If the author had written a book about two 20 somethings who tried to repair their friendship by going into business together, it might have been a sweet, albeit, light story. Instead, Donahue tries to cover every imaginable theme in only 300 pages, and so does justice to none of them.

And the cliches!!! Of course Julia is tall, thin, blond, gorgeous and rich. Of course Annie is short and cu
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Annie Quintana and Julia St. Clair as a different as night is to day. Separated by ten years, the two find themselves brought together once again. Julia St. Clair is ambitious, sophisticated and is very wealthy. The only daughter of the St. Clair family, she is in the planning process of her wedding to Wesley, a Southern businessman but is hiding a secret she must tell him before she marries. Julia finds herself with time on her hands now that she has quit her job to move back home to San Franci ...more
Christine
Estranged friends Julia and Anna are reunited after ten years and open a cupcakery together. They work hard to build a successful business and attempt to rebuild their friendship after difficult high school years destroyed their relationship. Meanwhile, Julia struggles with a past trauma and planning her upcoming wedding, while Anna still tries to comes to terms with her mother's untimely death, while dating a man who seems all wrong for her.

"How To Eat a Cupcake" is boring chick lit with compl
Sara Strand
You know I love me a good chick lit book, but I've grown frustrated with most of what I have read recently. Every story sounds like another book I have read. I feel like this is like a few books but we changed up the setting and put some cupcakes in it.
Part of what made this just a mediocre book for me is that it never hooked me, drew me in to keep reading. I could predict everything that happened, the fights/arguments between Annie and Julia, and the ending. And it's so frustrating because I f
Aleida Oskam
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wat een leuk boek was dit. In het begin vond ik het wat lastig om in het verhaal te komen maar uiteindelijk lukte het wel. Wat ik leuk vond is dat het vanuit de optiek van beide vriendinnen werd geschreven waarbij ze ieder hun eigen verhaal hadden maar wat uiteindelijk toch ook weer bij elkaar kwam. Er zitten tot op het laatste deel van het verhaal dingen in die je niet echt verwacht. Dit maakt het voor mij een goed boek.
Melodie
Childhood friends with a difficult past are thrown together as adults. And to complicate things further, they are in business together! One is entitled, the other has a chip on her shoulder. Both have some growing up to do if the cupcakery they have opened is to succeed.
Overall this was a decent light read. There was a twist or two to keep it interesting. If you can suspend belief that this arrangement could actually work, pack it in your beach bag and enjoy.
Susan Tunis
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gained weight with every page

I live in San Francisco, where this novel is so evocatively set. After the coldest, dreariest, rainiest week ever, I felt I deserved a treat. I pulled How to Eat a Cupcake off the shelf.

At the novel’s heart, are two very different women with a shared past. Annie Quintana grew up in the carriage house of the St. Clair’s Pacific Heights mansion. Her mother, Lucia, was the nanny to Julia St. Clair, and the two girls were raised practically as sisters. They were the cl
Sonja Reid
May 02, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
I didn't start this book expecting great things, which usually frees me up to enjoy fluff without remorse.
I still wasn't all that thrilled by it.

Maybe it was all the knowing references to "the effects of aging" by characters who are 28. Maybe I am oddly unmoved by the Poor Little Rich Girl thing. Maybe it was the rather boring who-dunnit sub-plot. Or the lamely two-dimensional male characters. Or that I have a hard time suspending disbelief and thinking of cupcake bakeries as anything like a rea
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
Donohue has blasted her debut novel right out of the ballpark. It was moving, believable, well written and real. The characters were well developed and despite their imperfections you found yourself rooting for them, grieving with them, celebrating with them...just simply feeling for them throughout the entire novel. The novel was perfectly paced and it kept me engaged from start to finish. Just when I thought I may have figured things out Donohue threw me for a loop. I am so excited to see what ...more
Kimberly Russell
Mar 09, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned, bookclub
This one was a bookclub pick. I'm sorry, but I was bored out of my mind (I only made it to page 60). I'm still going to the meeting though because most people are bringing cupcakes. :)
Heidi
Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four stars: A riveting cupcakey read.
Annie closes her eyes, draws a deep breath and tries to vanquish the old ghosts. After ten years, she has returned to the house where her mother worked as a servant for the wealthy St. Clair family during her youth. Ten years ago, her mother collapsed on their kitchen floor and died a few short days later of a brain aneurism. Since then, Annie has avoided the family, until now. Today, she is back to serve her delectable cupcakes for a St. Clair social functio
Kristi (Books and Needlepoint)
I really liked the way that the author told Annie and Julia's story. The timeline went from June to May with the chapters alternating between the two young women. It was almost as if they were sitting in front of you, telling you the story as a friend. There were times I wanted to laugh and times I wanted to cry and times I wanted to shake one of them to open up their eyes as to what was in front of them!

The girls grew up together since they were babies - they might as well have been sisters.
Laurel-Rain
Nov 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two young girls grow up side by side in San Francisco's Pacific Heights district, but they live totally separate lives. Julia St. Clair is the wealthy daughter of Lolly and Tad; Annie Quintana's mother Lucia fled Ecuador as a teenage single mom, and now works as a nanny/cook for the St. Clairs.

Over the years, however, the girls become best friends, attend the same schools (thanks to the largesse of the St. Clairs), and seemingly are like family to one another.

But what happens during the high sch
Melissa ♥ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf
I knew that I had to read this book from the second I saw that cover and read the title! Isn't is awesome? Clean lines and so appealing...with the perfect mix of colors :) Luckily for me, the inside of the book completely lived up to that wonderful cover. (We're not always so lucky, are we?)

Meg Donohue's writing style and pacing of the novel were perfect. I loved how the narration took turns every other chapter between Anna and Julia. I'm finding that I am really enjoying this trend of dual POVs
Kelly
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
I must admit when I picked up this book I was looking for a light hearted read, easy going that I could pick up and put down at will. What I got was a brilliantly worked story leaving me turning pages until the early hours (not to mention craving cupcakes.)

Meg Donohue writes this in a way that slowly feeds our the information and secrets right to the very end which is what keeps you hooked.

What I liked: I loved both characters and really connected with them, especially Julia who clearly displa
Meg - A Bookish Affair
Mmmm, cupcakes! Mmmm, books about cupcakes. I love foodie fiction and I was very excited to read this book because 1. it's about cupcakes and 2. I had heard some good things about this book from some other book bloggers (and we all know that book bloggers are awesome so there's that). This is also a story about a redeemed friendship.

I really liked both of the main characters in the book. Annie seems like a person that I would really like to be friends with. She seems like a lot of fun. Julia doe
JuliaOrlando
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes to read about re-connecting / building friendships
Samantha March
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of How to Eat a Cupcake by Meg Donohue in exchange for an honest review.

What a home run of a book! It gives me chills when I find a book that I find irresistible from page one, and this exactly what happened with How to Eat a Cupcake. The dynamic between Annie and Julia was tense, loving, troubled, and supportive –all wrapped into one. These characters really leapt off the pages and made this impossible to put down. I loved the mystery surrounding the death of Annie’s mother an
Ruth
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ruth by: http://www.megdonohue.com/events/
I am happy to be able to report that I really, really enjoyed this book! The characters were likeable, interesting, and believable. I was very intrigued by the idea of girls who grew up together as sisters, through the odd circumstance of being one's parent employed by, and living with the family of the other. And I thought the book was very realistic in its approach to that premise. The book is set in San Francisco, which adds a nice element. Also, any book that includes so much discussion of c ...more
Becky
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cupcakes!

I really want to rush to a bakery and get a glamorous cupcake and try to eat it the way Julia does, I think I might need to get two because I might not get it right the first time! this was a fun book, relationships re-learning each other, misconceptions, misunderstandings, human.The women in this story are both likeable and while reading you just know it's all going to work out but what keeps you reading is How?
The descriptions of cupcakes did have me snacking my way through the story
Angela
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chic-lit, favorites
I loved this book. I like that there was a little mystery but not overwhelming the plot of the book. It was interesting to read the story from both perspectives. It made me realize both girls were being ignorant, which I'm sure is the case with me when I'm fighting with someone.

Fun story, really likable characters..... Now if the cupcake shop were real. This book left me craving cupcakes for days (0=
Kate
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-books
The book had its moments, though not as intriguing of a book as I had thought it was going to be. Might give author Meg Donohue another try though with Dog Crazy. All in all not a terrible book but it didn't have exactly what I was hoping for.
Di
Mar 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Further proof that you can't judge a book by it's title or cover. Fluff, but lot's of substance. Enjoyable and at times humerous.
Jaynan
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! It's fluffy fun and full of yummy delights and a bit of romance.
Nicole Roach
Abandoned this book half way because I didn't find any of the characters to have sincere qualities.
Chocolate & Croissants
It only seems fitting that I would read How to Eat a Cupcake as I was on my way to France. The French are apparently obsessed with cupcakes and we are obsessed with their macarons. Why not read a book about the love of baking as I was headed over to the pastry capital of the world. I am proud to say that I gave this book to the front desk clerk at my hotel in Paris and she was delighted by it. You would think that I was giving her freshly baked cupcakes.

How to Eat a Cupcake is a book after my he
Heather
Julia St. Clair and Anita "Annie" Quintana grew up together like sisters in San Francisco-Julia the only child of the wealthy St. Clairs and Annie, the only child of the St. Clair family cook. Their friendship was torn apart by an incident that took place their senior year of high school and after graduation, they went their separate ways.

Fast forward 10 years. Julia is a successful business woman in New York who has returned home to plan her California wedding. Annie has followed in her late mo
Vicky (A Backpack Full of Adventures)
Please read my full review at:

Witty, funny, heart-wrenching and engaging at the same time, How to Eat a Cupcake is the perfect read for a rainy day and a quiet night in. I can honestly say it has been one of the best chick-lit books I've read this year, without a doubt. It made me smile, it made me bawl my eyes out, but most importantly, it was simply unputdownable.

The plot is just pure brilliance. It focuses on Annie and Julia, two childhood friends who f
Jan
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I generally prefer more serious novels, but occasionally chick lit provides a welcome break between books with heavy themes. How To Eat a Cupcake was recommended on Fantastic Fiction for those who liked Ellen Airgood’s South of Superior, which I absolutely loved. That plus the word “cupcake,” my idea of the perfect dessert, drew me.

I enjoyed the early chapters introducing Julia and Annie, who grew up in the same household and attended the same schools, Julia the daughter of a very well-to-do San
  • Semi-Sweet: A Novel of Love and Cupcakes
  • Julia's Child
  • The Icing on the Cupcake
  • Angelina's Bachelors: A Novel with Food
  • Vanity Fare
  • Starting from Scratch
  • Sweet Expectations (Union Street Bakery #2)
  • When in Doubt, Add Butter
  • The Love Goddess' Cooking School
  • Off the Menu
  • The Bake-Off
  • Aftertaste: A Novel in Five Courses
  • Bread Alone (Bread Alone, #1)
Meg Donohue is the USA Today bestselling author of Dog Crazy, All the Summer Girls, and How to Eat a Cupcake. Her novels have been translated into Dutch, French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, and Turkish. Born and raised in Philadelphia, she now lives San Francisco with her husband, three young daughters, and dog.
More about Meg Donohue...
“Shoot. It's always so disappointing to realize the world goes on without me.” 7 likes
“Hair, apparently, is the new window to the soul.” 5 likes