Start by marking “Silence of the Hams (Jane Jeffry, #7)” as Want to Read:
Silence of the Hams (Jane Jeffry, #7)

Silence of the Hams

(Jane Jeffry #7)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  842 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Pompous, pig-headed attorney Robert Stonecipher is a major pain in the ham hocks. So no one is terribly upset when he's fatally mashed by a falling rock of hams at the new deli where suburban single mom Jane Jeffry's son works part-time.

But when Stonecipher's most obnoxious employee meets an equally appropriate end, Jane knows the fat's really in the fire. And though her h
Mass Market Paperback, 278 pages
Published July 1st 1996 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Silence of the Hams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silence of the Hams

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
I'm afraid I found this book a bit boring, even though I liked the main characters and the set-up of the story. The plot is quite uneventful, unfortunately, and I had a hard time finishing the book...
Lindsay
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it
It took me a while to get into this book. The characters are fun but I wasn't very pulled in until closer to the middle and end of the book. I never stop reading a book though, so I finished and it turned out to be good.
Sonja
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Another great whodunnit!
Fairlee Corkran
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
New series for me love the relationship between characters. Will continue with series.
Cathy
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great cozy where hams may have been used as a murder weapon. Two friends try a figure this out when an aerobics instructor is murdered (I thought I heard a few cheers when I read this).
Drebbles
Feb 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008
Jane Jeffrey's oldest son is growing up. He is graduating from high school and working part time at a local deli to earn some money. Jane thinks the only thing she needs to worry about Mike is that he be careful while driving the truck she gave him as a graduation present. But when obnoxious attorney Robert Stonecipher is murdered at the opening party for the deli, she's not sure she wants Mike working there. But he insists he'll be okay and Jane relents. When there is a second murder, Jane can' ...more
Linda Famous
Jan 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
I got this at a book sale and it was the first book I'd read by this author. I had a difficult time beginning the book and keeping the various characters straight. I could see this is called a Jane Jeffry book, but Jane and her best friend are equally used throughout the book and almost either could be the main character. I know sometimes a series can feel repetitive by re-introducing the main characters, but in this case the book wasn't written very well to be the first book a reader picks in t ...more
Sandie
Jul 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Arrogant, presumptuous, pretentious and infuriating are just a few adjectives that come to mind while trying to describe lawyer Robert Stonecipher. Is it any wonder that no one is upset or surprised when his dead body is discovered under an overturned rack of hams at the grand opening of a neighborhood deli…. an establishment whose opening he had done his best to prevent.

Within a day, another death occurs. Following in Stonecipher’s footsteps in death as she had in life is his assistant, Emma W
Apr 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jennifer by: jennsicurella@verizon.net
Shelves: mystery-cozy
Silence of the Hams is one of the very best Jane Jeffry mysteries. It has tons of stuff going on with Mike's graduation, multiple deaths and the resiting investigation. A shockingly unexpected killer was almost just an added bonus with so much interesting back story.

The graduating seniors are treated to a mandatory school-sponsored post-graduation party. The entire thing sounded fabulous, from the decorations in each themed area to the prizes each kid won. Jane's mother-in law and brother-in-law
Carol
Oct 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is another of the Jane Jeffry mysteries. Jane and her neighbor Shelly again help the police solve a murder in the neighborhood. Who wouldn't have wanted to murder the loud mouth, bigoted attorney Robert Stonecipher. But when his paralegal is found murdered too well...
Quick little mystery reads that are pretty good at least till the ends. Why do writers have such a hard time wrapping up well???
Judy
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Adults interested in mysteries
One of many fine Jane jeffry mysteries. It has a nice twist in the middle, and a nice surprise ending. I particularly enjoy the characterization of Jane, suburban mom and widow, who has a best-friend relationship with her next door neighbor, Shelley, who is confident and assertive. The pair make a bit of Holmes and Watson duo, although Holmes and Holmes would be a better depiction. A nice summer read.
Dawn
Feb 19, 2007 rated it liked it
Why did I buy this book? It's hard for me to get past the silly title, and I've started reading it three times now, only to be continually distracted by better books to read. So I'm going to retire it & call it a lost cause-- it hasn't captured my interest, though I've read about half of it. I feel bad, like I'm abandoning someone's baby.
Trudy
Mar 29, 2013 rated it liked it
I gave Jill Churchill another chance, and this Jane Jeffry mystery was much better than the last I read (the perfectly dreadful Accidental Florist). I enjoy a cozy mystery, and Churchill mixes humor into her entertaining (though lightweight) plot.
Carrie
Apr 06, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a mom's mystery novel. I love the way the soccer mom Jane Jeffry helps her investigator boyfriend solve the mystery through gossip and nosy conversation. It's fun.
Mollie
Feb 25, 2009 marked it as wishlist  ·  review of another edition
Silence of the Hams (Jane Jeffry Mysteries, No. 7) by Jill Churchill (1996)
Cyndee
Mar 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
I like 'light' but this was perhaps ultra-light!
Eva
May 21, 2014 rated it liked it
the biggest question i have about this book is why do people buy bags of ice?
Rhonda
Apr 15, 2010 rated it liked it
a cute cozy - one of many in a series. nothing in the way of character depth, but a cute, quick read.
Kayla
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Favourite in the series so far.
Mary Newcomb
Two mysterious deaths seem oddly linked. Jane and Shelley help sort it all out and take on a new sidekick.

Rhonda
Feb 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Not as good as the others to this point, but I still enjoyed it when I just needed to chill.
Dharia Scarab
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Second reading, just as good.
Rebecca
Jun 14, 2008 rated it liked it
what the hey, they're fun.
Celestial
Mar 17, 2011 rated it liked it
It was just something I picked up in a gift shop to keep me occupied, turned out to be a great book. I look forward to reading the rest of the Jane Jeffry series.
The 7th book in the Jane Jeffry mystery series.

I thought this one was a little weak - but it didn't stop me from continuing on in the series.
Martina Kopel
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another good book. Mike graduates, gets job and a truck. Shelley and Jane and Mel solve another murder but with a twist with two bodies.
Alice
Oct 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
Wop-wop . . . Not much to make this interesting at all.
Gail
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm back to reading after a year off - not something I'm proud of :( I'd forgotten how much I liked Jill Churchill's books. Looking forward to reading more.
Heather
Dec 02, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: soccer moms
Cute if you're into crime-solving soccer moms. Commits the sin of withholding a clue from the reader.
Dianna
Aug 13, 2015 rated it liked it
I found this book to be a good story line but the events to be few and far between. Easy read but not a "can't put it down" book.
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Silence of the Hams 1 3 Mar 29, 2013 08:31PM
  • Thou Shalt Not Grill (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #12)
  • Fowl Prey (Bed-and-Breakfast, #2)
  • Crewel Yule (A Needlecraft Mystery, #8)
  • Perfect Sax (Madeline Bean, #6)
  • The Christie Caper (Death on Demand, #7)
  • Murder Can Upset Your Mother (Desiree Shapiro Mystery, #8)
  • Death Swatch (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #6)
A pseudonym used by Janice Young Brooks.

Jill Churchill, winner of the Agatha and Macavity Mystery Readers Awards, and nominated for an Anthony for her best-selling Jane Jeffry series, lives as Jane does, in a midwestern suburb. On purpose! She says writing this series and the Grace and Favor series is the best treat she can have without a knife and fork.

Under her real name, Janice Young Brooks, an

Jane Jeffry (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Grime and Punishment (Jane Jeffry, #1)
  • A Farewell to Yarns (Jane Jeffry, #2)
  • A Quiche Before Dying (Jane Jeffry, #3)
  • The Class Menagerie (Jane Jeffry, #4)
  • A Knife to Remember (Jane Jeffry, #5)
  • From Here to Paternity (Jane Jeffry, #6)
  • War and Peas (Jane Jeffry, #8)
  • Fear of Frying (Jane Jeffry, #9)
  • The Merchant of Menace (Jane Jeffry, #10)
  • A Groom with a View (Jane Jeffry, #11)