Jump to ratings and reviews

Madrin Memorial Hospital #2 included

The Night Before Christmas / Once a Good Girl...

The Night Before Christmas by Alison Roberts

All single mom Lizzie wants this Christmas is the gift of health for her sick daughter. But her twin girls want a special man to take care of Lizzie—and her daughter's doctor Jack Rousseau is topping their list! Jack's a renowned surgeon, but he's no Santa Claus—he's used to working miracles in the O.R., but can he heal Lizzie's heart?

Once a Good Girl... by Wendy S. Marcus

Prim Victoria Forley’s perfect life changed forever the night she slept with Kyle Karlinsky, baddest boy in town. These days, single mum and uber-perfectionist nurse Victoria has goals that nothing – not even Kyle’s shocking reappearance! – can derail. But behind Victoria’s oh-so-frosty exterior is a heat that only Kyle can unleash… maybe it’s the right time to be with the wrong guy after all?

384 pages, Paperback

First published January 1, 2009

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Alison Roberts

557 books43 followers
I was born in Dunedin, New Zealand. My father's medical career took us overseas when I was five, and I went to school in London for a year before moving to Washington, D.C. Eventually we returned to Dunedin, where I finished school and then trained as a primary school teacher.

After I married my husband, who works as a doctor, we moved to Christchurch where I worked for a time as a research technician in a hospital and indulged my academic interests by taking University courses in early European history and philosophy. This was followed by another move - to Glasgow, for two years. This provided me with the perfect opportunity to pen my first novel - a medical thriller with a good dash of romance!

Our return to New Zealand began a new chapter in my life, with my creative efforts being channelled into entertaining a baby daughter, renovating a very old farmhouse with an enormous garden and caring for a menagerie of donkeys, sheep, hens, dogs and cats which I happily began to collect.

My writing led to a new passion in life when I went to research the ambulance service and fell in love with the job. I became a qualified paramedic and spent many hours on the road. I also spent many hours as a pony club mother as my talented daughter became an awesome eventer and broke in her own yearling who lived with us on another country property that became home after my marriage ended.

The massive earthquake in Christchurch in 2011 was life changing for many of us and I’m currently embracing a new lifestyle in Auckland. Writing continues to be my touchstone passion and I’ve added a non-fiction element as part of my new part-time job as a clinical educator in the department of Paramedicine and Emergency Management at an Auckland university.

My brilliant daughter, Becky, is now an amazing young sculptor who lives in Melbourne. Apart from my writing, family and friends the other passions in my life are dancing (Ceroc – so much fun!) and learning French. My dream is to spend a year or two in France in the not too distant future so that I can get really fluent. It should be great research for new stories as well :-)

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 4 of 4 reviews
Profile Image for Erin.
35 reviews1 follower
November 13, 2011
Nine years after sleeping with the town bad-boy and suffering the stigma of a teen pregnancy, Victoria juggles her career as a nurse with the demands of being a single-mother. Her perfectly-planned out world is rocked when bad-boy Kyle reappears at the hospital transformed into a physical therapist doctor. Kyle is equally shocked to find out he has fathered a son with the only woman he ever loved.

This is a great story about two people with opposite personalities who need each other to balance out their lives. Victoria has built up a hard protective barrier because of the way she was shunned after her pregnancy, and she and Kyle have vastly different views of their last encounter. They have to work through a lot of their issues in order to have a future together.

I really believed that perfectionist Victoria needs Kyle's laid back influence in her life. I also enjoyed how tenderly Kyle is able to help her deal with a past trauma in order for her to move on from it. Kyle is a very sexy hero, but he wasn't the typical alpha male, and I liked how the author showed his flaws in a way that gave his character more depth. His therapy dog was another fun element of the story.

This is my first Medical Romance, but it won't be my last. Wendy's book was so good that I want to go back and read the first book in this series, When One Night is Not Enough!
Profile Image for Aimee Carson.
Author 59 books109 followers
November 20, 2011
I loved the characters in this book! Kyle is the perfect hero - sexy, good looking, with a great sense of humor and a refreshing ability to admit to his mistakes. Victoria is spunky, confident, and at times achingly vulnerable. A fast paced read that never disappoints!
Profile Image for Jo.
670 reviews
January 2, 2013
Review of Once A Good Girl ...
The heroine, Victoria Forley, was born with opportunities. Until she gets knocked up as a naive teenager by Kyle Karlinsky, who disappears off the same night and never gets in touch. From then on Victoria was pulling herself up by her bootstraps, trying to be a good single mother to Jake whilst working on re-creating the opportunities and reputation she lost because of the boy she loved and a night that still causes her trauma. Eight years later and she is well on her way to becoming the independent, respected Director of Nursing she has been aiming for. Until Kyle turns up again ...

Wendy S. Marcus has worked hard to enable us to empathise with both the hero and the heroine, and in particular to show the heroine's conflict and heartache that comes with giving up some control when you've worked so hard for it, especially to someone who still doesn't quite come up to scratch.

An interesting supporting cast of patients and colleagues give colour and life to the chapters in the hospital and you feel yourself wanting to get to know them better, so good thing this is a mini-series!

A book that will have reading it from cover to cover and have a satisfied smile on your face when you finish the last page.
Profile Image for Nas Dean.
811 reviews37 followers
December 4, 2011
ONCE A GOOD GIRL by author Wendy S Marcus is a Mills & Boon Medical December 2011 release in UK and Harlequin Medical January 2011 release in NA.

Victoria Forley was a single mum and after lot of struggle was now on her way to her dream job of Director of Nursing at Madrin Memorial Hospital. She had worked hard for her promotion but will the appearance of the town’s bad boy, Kyle Karlinsky change that? After all Kyle was the father of her son Jake and he had left town the same day she lost her virginity to him!

Does he expect to walk back in her life and just take off where he left off? Isn’t he nine years too late for that? And she realized he was the Dr.K everyone was talking about!

When Kyle comes face to face with his son, he realizes the sacrifices Victoria must have made to bring up his son. How she must have stood up to her strict father at seventeen just to have the baby. Kyle realizes he never stopped loving her. But would Victoria see the man behind the previous betrayal she felt, and let the attraction she feels for him now grow? Because meeting Kyle was like coming out of deep freeze after nine years! And Kyle aims to make her crave him like he craved her. Once he accomplishes that then he’ll go for her heart!

ONCE A GOOD GIRL is a beguiling romance that tugged at my heartstring and kept me on the edge of my seat. A fabulous teenage story is depicted of illicit attraction, forbidden passion and the healing power of love in adulthood.

Wendy S Marcus’s has written this tale with such depth, sensitivity and heart that readers will not be able to resist devouring this romance amid all the medical drama in a single sitting. The witty dialogue and the mesmerizing emotions will keep the reader glued to the pages.
Displaying 1 - 4 of 4 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.