Start by marking “Something Different” as Want to Read:
Something Different

Something Different

An Unhappily Married Man
Michael Maguire’s love life has always lacked … something. His wife is cold, his children are distant, and he’s desperate for one night of self-indulgence. One night of real pleasure. So he heads to notorious Brixton Park seeking a prostitute, so divorced from his own needs, he isn’t even sure of his type.

A Rent Boy
James Campbell is one trick away
Kindle Edition, 2nd Edition, 112 pages
Published October 1st 2011 by Lyonnesse Books

To ask other readers questions about Something Different, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something Different

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**4.5 stars**

After reading "Something Different", I can officially say that I have a thing for T. Baggins/S.A. Reid's books. I've read a number of rent boy stories and they all usually have a common theme of abuse or trauma. This book was no different in that respect. However, "Something Different" really stood out in this genre. Maybe it is because it felt real and raw, not depressing or melodramatic. it just worked for me in every way.

I also don't like stories with infidelity in them. It jus
Mandapanda
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: various-romance
Loved this story about Michael, a 34 year old writer who life is drab and predictable. One night he breaks free from the mold and meets dyslexic rent boy James.

This author writes with a raw honesty that breaks a lot of the stereotypes in m/m romance. I don't usually go for stories with marital infidelity, nor stories with rent boys, but the author makes these issues an integral part of the plotline, so that the reader believes and empathizes with the journey Michael is taking, and is cheering f
Bev
Well, well, well - I bloody loved that! I downloaded this through KU months ago and almost returned it because I hadn't gotten round to reading it. I opened it by mistake thinking it was another book, started it and read it in one sitting.

I absolutely loved the writing style, the characters, the story, the lot! Michael's naivety was just so stinking cute! I didn't even mind the evil wife - yes she's a bit of a caricature but I didn't care, I was too wrapped up in Michael and James' story.

I'ff of
Kat
Either I have an until now unrealized rent boy kink going on or sex workers are a huge thing in the M/M genre. I'm putting my cards on the latter. This book follows the pattern that is to be expected of the trope and yet is…Something Different indeed.

I was both impressed and underwhelmed. Several aspects of the story I think were handled really well by the author. The MC's, a sexually repressed dad to two teens who's caught in a loveless and marriage, road to self-discovery and happiness is inte
DarienMoya
More of my reviews and ramblings at PANTS OFF REVIEWS

Michael is tired of his boring life, his easily predictable life. He hardly gets along with his wife; she just spends her time bossing him around. He never does anything out of the norm, until he decides that he’s going to find a prostitute. Michael has never cheated on his wife before but there is something inside of him wanting to rebel. A conversation with a friend leads him to the decision that’s he’s heading to Brixton Park and getting so
Emma Sea
4.5 stars. Very British, gritty, enjoyable. I didn't gel with Michael at the beginning at all, but, like James, I came to care for him a great deal. He was more than apparent at first glance.

MandyM wrote a beautiful review for this book.
Sammy Goode
Oct 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I cannot say more than this...I LOVED this book. S.A. Reid took what could have been a formulaic rehashing of a sugar daddy meets needy twink and transformed it into a love story that resounded with healing, redemption and hope. James, a rent boy, illiterate, unloved, near homeless waif stumbles upon Michael, a shadow of a man who now lives trapped in a loveless marriage writing textbooks while harboring the desire to be more...feel more...love more. James' slick come on leaves Michael breathles ...more
Susan
Dec 30, 2012 rated it liked it

I’m not a big fan of the rentboy falls in love with his client storyline. It works for me only on the rare occasion and only if there’s some serious attraction between the two.

So, even though I really liked Protection by this same author, this one fell short.

I’m finding more and more that I don’t buy the draw between MC’s as easily as I have in the past. If you can’t produce chemistry on the page, I’m not going to just assume it’s there and buy into the rest.

Thus, the relationship be
Jo
Ok Heather this review is for you because I would never have read this book without your recommendation.

This review is also for those of you who are reluctant to read for all the reasons I had mainly a dislike of cheating spouses and a prostitute as the main character because the life makes me want to cry, hit something and then feel guilty because I don't do more about all the ills in the world. See who needs that guilt when reading a book.
S.A. Reid just takes all that and combines it into th
Steelwhisper
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a novel pushed to bend into novella size and it is a book trying to tackle too much.

It still is easily, very easily a 4* to 4.5* book.

Contrary to what one reviewer insinuated Michael never endangered his wife even though he willingly risked infecting himself with genital herpes. He wasn't sleeping with her at that moment, and later when he was about to have sex with her, he told her they would be using a condom. That he does risk himself is something I could well understand under the cir
Feliz
Dec 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary, m-m
This was a great read, at times so honest it bordered on crude. Both main characters were SO delightful, so true to themselves and so perfect for each other....This is not a shallow Pretty Woman story, not in the slightest, it's about finding one's perfect match and finding out what really counts in life, it's about learning to be true to oneself and the unexpected rewards life has in stock for those who dare reaching out for them. Highly, highly recommended.
Anke
Dec 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comfort-reads
*sigh* Something Different is Simply Wonderful! I love the story, the writing style and the whole book is heartwarming and feel-good. S.A. Reid, together with S.E. Culpepper, are the new authors this year who managed to put themselves on my auto-buy-list with just one book - Go Girls!
Mandy*reads obsessively*
4.5*

The author was kind enough to offer this book as a free read, and I can honestly say, she has made me a fan.
I will check out her future works.
This story is about Michael, a husband and father, a writer of text books, and James, a rent boy.
It is so very nice to see Michael finding himself, deciding to find his truth, and helping James do the same.
It wasn't overnight, and all their problems aren't solved miraculously.
I have to add, I was surprised that the infidelity in this book didn't bother
Syfy
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First off, I want to read Michaels' novel "Granny Does a Runner", I trust James' opinion and the title he came up with is perfect!

This may appear to be the same old story; Illiterate rent boy meets benevolent benefactor who transitions to "gay" smoother than lube, hurt/comfort. Yes, it's all there.
However. Masterful craftsmanship plays an integral role here. Creates a unique and irresistible tale.

Each and every detailed insight, the raunchy, bold, honest, or benign, cause these characters to be
☙ percy ❧
3.5 stars. would have been 4 stars but i took off half a star because they didn't use the word bisexual. yeah i'm a salty motherfucker, sue me.
Don Bradshaw
Reviewed on Hearts On Fire... http://heartsonfirereviews.com/

T. Baggins is a magician with her characters. She has the uncanny ability to create an average diamond in the rough and make the reader fall in love with a hero. Michael Maguire was no one special. He worked as a textbook writer always dreaming that he'd write the great American novel, didn't love his nasty wife and wasn't sure that he ever had and just wanted to feel something again. A friend drops Michael off at Brixton Park to get
Amanda
Going into this book, I didn't realized it touched on the once huge subject I try to steer clear of in fiction: infidelity. That being said I am giving it 4 stars.
The book makes me remember that you can't pick who you love. It just happens. I was very happy with the outcome of the book and the second half of the book was much better than the first half.
The sex scenes were the only problem I had. The first is quite descriptive, in a not so good way. Quotes like: "Micheal envisioned the other ma
Deeze
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This story is gritty, and in places crude, yet it still manages to come across as magical.

Both MC are believable and loveable.

I would of liked to see a little more on James before Brixton Park.. We get a rough idea of his past but no real details on his old home life.

Michael is such a wonderfully straight laced character that had me chuckling at his turn of phrase, while breaking my heart once I learnt his full story. I loved watching him slowly come to life.

Germanotti was an excellent addition
Bitchie
I wasn't wowed by this like most of my friends were. I enjoyed bits of it, but then again other bits really pulled me out of things, like the unprotected sex, knowing what both guys knew. I also don't like the use of a cold, shrewish, controlling wife used as a device to justify cheating. I'd rather them have just had a sexless, but otherwise fairly friendly enough marriage.
Candice
Dec 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rent-boy, cheating
This was such a refreshing story with its real life feel that some other romance books lack. There was no sugar coating and making things seem better than they were. It was honest and gritty. I wasn't sure how I was going to feel knowing that there was cheating involved, but surprisingly it did not interrupt the enjoyment of the story. I look forward to reading more by this author.
Vanessa North
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
A lovely, unexpected treat.

Thank you, Jenni Lea, for lending me your copy. :)
Edina Rose
Dec 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gfy-ofy
A realistic fairytale.

This is the story of James, a young hustler, and Michael, a middle-aged married man, father of two.

No, the wifey is not a bitch you want to see dumped, but the husband, Michael, is not a bastard either. Both are just like many people who got married and made babies "because that's what you do". Now Michael lives an uneventful and boring life. Then one day, on a whim, he does something different: he tries to hook up with a female prostitute but ends up having the best sex of
R.B.
Michael is middle-aged man dealing with his troubled past and living in the suburbs in an unsatisfactory relationship with a woman who controls all his actions and behavior. He barely knows his two teenage kids… One day he decides to seek what is missing in his life in darkened park in the arms of a prostitute. But he ends up with James, young man in his early twenties, who earns for his living as a rent boy. James has his own emotional baggage and he's struggling with dyslexia and feelings of i ...more
Tami
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Oh, this was sweet. Two men meet - a repressed, unhappy family man and a rent boy. What could be a sappy "pretty woman" for gays is a sweet story about two people who evolve and develop to make more out of their lives than what they had when they met.
Jason Bradley
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: abuse, ebook, m-m, ccr
Flawless writing and a wonderful story. This author needs more attention!
Sheri
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I shouldn’t have liked this book. There is more than one aspect that typically doesn’t work for me. But for some reason, somehow, Reid pulled it off in such a way that…really worked for me. Which reminds me that all books are unique and a different experience for each and every reader. There are times I read someone else’s perspective to a book and wonder, ‘did we read the same book?’ But the truth is, we may not have. Because where we are, who we are, and what we are feeling all affect the book ...more
M
Something different, indeed. This book is not easy to read. Sure, it's novella-length, so it flies by, but for all its relative lack of wordiness, it sure is heavy. It reminds me a bit of Erastes's Junction X, in that it deals with a man trapped in a suburban hell seeking salvation in a beautiful boy. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but at the same time felt a bit like it was juggling too many issues. I kind of feel like for all the stuff that happened in the book, the sailing was maybe a little too ea ...more
Susan65
Nov 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Talk about keeping it real. This was more real life than, well, real life. I could seriously relate to the issues in Michaels life. It was written so brutally honest, no sugar coating and at times quite crude. But that is how real life is so it endeared the story to me more than turned me away. My only discord was with the british speak but that is more me than anything the author did wrong...for some reason it throws me off. But regardless it was an excellent story and I believe this author has ...more
Chris
Nov 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chris by: Kaetrin
Shelves: done, 2012, gay, romance, ebook
Excellent m/m romance about a guy in a loveless marriage who's merely going through the motions of life. When he goes to the park in search of a prostitute because he desperately needs something different to happen in his life, he's surprised yet strangely intrigued to be picked up by a young man. (Because this story starts with infidelity, it isn't going to be to everyone's taste.)
MLE
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, kindle-archive
Nothing like I thought it would be, and I loved it even more for that. In the hands of a lesser author this would have been a cliched smut fest, but the author chose to treat her characters, and the situation they were in, in a much more complicated, and nuanced way, and while it was still a very sexy read it felt emotionally honest.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Fifteen Shades of Gay (For Pay)
  • The Red King
  • precious_boy
  • The Epic Love Story of Doug and Stephen
  • Dex in Blue (Johnnies, #2)
  • The Coil
  • Rentboy
  • Scrap Metal
  • The Boys and the Bees
  • King Perry (The Lost and Founds, #1)
  • The Angel of 13th Street (The Angel of 13th Street, #1)
  • Fog: A Novel of Desire and Retribution
  • Bad Boyfriend (Bad in Baltimore, #2)
  • Counterpunch (Belonging, #2)
  • The Curtis Reincarnation
  • Hard Tail (Southampton Stories #2)
  • Falling Off the Face of the Earth
  • Breaking Faith (Breaking Faith, #1)
I'm a writer of fantasy adventures. My first book, a reincarnation romance called Past Lives #1: Rachel is now available.

I also write cozy mysteries like Ice Blue and Blue Murder (coming Spring 2012) as Emma Jameson. And as S.A. Reid, I write adult romances like Something Different, Protection, and Soulless (coming Spring 2012).

Pseudonym of T. Baggins http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...
“Oh, and they said I have ADD, too." He lit a cigarette, his first of the day, and took a long, grateful drag. "But listen mate, I once sucked a geezer for twenty minutes to get him off. The clock was just over his shoulder and I timed it. Attention deficit?" He blew out a plume of smoke. "I don't think so.” 35 likes
“James sighed. “Seriously, who thought up silent letters? Why include a letter if it’s
silent? Just to fuck with dyslexics?”
8 likes