Start by marking “The Black Jacket Mystery (Trixie Belden, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Black Jacket Mystery (Trixie Belden, #8)

The Black Jacket Mystery (Trixie Belden #8)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  2,753 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Classic teen sleuth Trixie Belden looks into a string of mysterious thefts in her eighth book! When a suspicious New Yorker arrives in town, Trixie isn't sure what his game is, and before long, odd disappearances and accidents begin to occur. Trixie's better than ever in this wintertime mystery that'll keep fans glued.
Paperback, Golden Press Oval Edition, 236 pages
Published July 1st 1977 by Western Publishing Company (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Jacket Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Jacket Mystery

Kelly
Mar 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, Dan, you rogue! Bad boy Dan has to shed his gangland past and move in with the Wheelers gamekeeper Mr. Maypenny. But then his past follows him -- dum dum DUM! The cover of my version of this book has Dan wearing a cheesy leather cap with a visor, which apparently passed for gang haute couture back in the day.

ETA: Okay, what is UP with Mrs. Belden that she can't keep an eye on Bobby? I just reread this last night, and Trixie spends much of the book's beginning chapters feeling guilty she isn'
Joy Gerbode
August 2013 ... re-read, a good story, though there are some minor discrepancies in details from the earlier books written by Julie Campbell. Those were not noticeable as a kid ... but I noticed them now. But in general a good read, helping to enforce the lesson that we must not judge people based on what they look like. Some good food for thought.
Denise
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Meghan
According to this article examining the Trixie Belden Authorship Question, the unknown ghostwriter who penned this particular volume never contributed any further efforts. Which is probably for the best.

- It's got to suck when you're forced to leave New York City for a small town in the Hudson Valley and then all those hicks you look down on make fun of your cowboy boots.

- Wait, cowboy boots? Yeah, Dan Mangan belongs to a gang called…The Cowhands. They wear cowboy boots and have their gang name
Karsyn
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: nbrc-tt4-anubis
This is a case of where I wish I could rate parts. The story on the whole is good but I think the adults are stupid in it. If they had just told the BWG's who Dan was and to see if they could befriend him, none of the stuff that happened would have happened. But of course then there wouldn't be a mystery. It was still the stupid adults faults!
Teri Pre
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
This was one of my favorite Trixie Belden books when I was a kid. It stands the test of time!
Bailey Marissa
(3.9)

Again, this is not a mystery in the truest sense, but the reader gets to meet Dan, the final BWofG (and my person favorite male BW when I was younger). We also get to see how all the adults are actually friends (because it's important to see adults being friends in MG/YA books) and how sometimes kind words and just being friendly can help a person (also important in MG/YA).

Recommended 10/11+ for scary situations, mentions of gangs, and possible underage smoking (In TB lore, Dan is 16/17 and
Alex
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book takes the Bob Whites back into the territory of not talking to people to eliminate confusion. If the characters talked, there would be no tension, and therefore no story. So they should have told a different story. There’s almost a complete lack of threat, and both of the sources of external friction in this book are dealt with off-screen.

Generally unsatisfying and a weak entry for the series. Good thing that the ghost writer of this volume apparently did not return. I won’t give up,
J.L. Day
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a HUGE and most dedicated fan of Trixie and her crew. This is odd, of course, because they were MEANT for teen and pre-teen girls, but I was a young boy that read everything he could get his hands on and when I first stumbled on my first TRIXIE BELDON book I was instantly hooked!

I immediately sat about reading them all, as quickly as I could get my greedy little paws on them. Trixie is the star, or "lead" character, followed by Jim and Honey (who quickly became the love of my young life, I had
April Brown
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – Ten and up.

Length? – Most of a day’s read.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters.

Setting? – Real world, pre - computer pre - air conditioning, pre - cell phone.

Written approximately? – approximately 1961.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Ready to read more.

Any issues the author (or a more recent publisher) should cover? Yes. A slight mention of the time frame of
Dawn Michelle
A tough new kid by the name of Dan Mangan arrives in town and starts living and working with Mr. Maypenny (the gamekeeper for The Manor House). Trixie becomes suspicious of who he is and if he's responsible for some bad things that have been happening around Sleepyside. Meanwhile, a catamount is loose on the game preserve.(Copied from The Trixie Belden Fan Website)

**OMGness...does Dan become friendly with the BWG's and end up becoming one of them OR does he go to jail????? Oooooooooo :)

~~~~~~~~~
Bonnie
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reread 2017 (research purposes): I had to drop this a star this time. Little things really annoyed me throughout. Starlight suddenly being a mare probably always bugged me. This time it was the location of the lake, which suddenly seemed to be out in the middle of the woods, accessible only by horseback, and yet this is the same lake where the kids swim in the summer and the Wheelers' maid walks down to bring them refreshments. Bits and pieces of Dan's backstory, and Regan's too, don't really ma ...more
Clare
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay let me just say how FRICKEN ANNOYED I HAVE TO GO LOOKING FOR THE NEXT BOOK BECAUSE I LOVE THIS SERIES TOO MUCH. I legit feel like I may die trying to find these books cause they are that old. First of this is the 8th book of the Trixie Belden and you don't even have to bother reading the first 7 books(EVEN THOUGH I TOTALLY RECOMMEND THEM). There are sometimes you may feel a little lost, but Kathryn Kenny always explains after. In this book a mysterious character named Dan Mangan comes to st ...more
Naomi Blackburn
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For Christmas one year, my parents grabbed me the entire Trixie Belden set and I couldn't put them down. After I finished with them, they continued to purchase them as quickly as I could read them. Even with a learning disability, I devoured the books. I look back now and I find that Trixie Belden was much more age related to young girls, particularly to me, reading the books than Nancy Drew. There was something in these books that I found to be a greater escape than I did ND, too. I found that ...more
Bobbi Rightmyer
Apr 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dan Mangan comes to town and he appears to be a bully. He will be living and working with Mr. Maypenny. However, the Bob-Whites think the new kid is nothing but trouble.

Naturally, Trixie becomes suspicious of who Dan really is and if he's responsible for some bad things that have started happening around Sleepyside.

In another storyline, a catamount (short-tailed wildcat) is loose on the Wheeler's game preserve. Is the gang safe when they go horseback riding? Just another mystery for the Bob-Whi
Madeline Henricksen
Miri
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trixie and the gang get together to organize an ice carnival to raise money for a library for their pen pals. There's a new boy in town named Dan who is staying with Mr. Maypenny and Trixie instantly disliked him, he dresses in leather and brags about belonging to a gang in the city. When things get stolen, Trixie is sure Dan is the culprit. Will the Bobwhites be able to catch the thief and get their Ice Carnival off without a hitch?
Debi
Aug 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite all time books. The Trixie Belden series is my favorite series. In Black Jacket Mystery, I think the reader learns not to "judge a book by it's cover" when Trixie learns that the new boy, Dan Mangan, is not at all the bad guy she thinks he is at first. The book gives you a warm, cozy feeling even though it's set in the cold winter in New York state. I highly recommend this book for readers of all ages from about 7 years old to adult.
Dayna
Jan 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elizabeth S
This is my first time to read a Trixie Belden mystery. I wonder why I never found these as a kid, I would have loved them. As an adult I find it not bad and not as formulaic as other series that could be mentioned. It is weird to read about kids who have so much energy and initiative for big projects. But then, if we took away the TV/video games and overscheduling from our kids, maybe they'd have that much time and energy too.
Meadow Frisbie
This was one of my least favorite Trixie books so far. the plot was a little childish. And Bobby couldn't stay still! In the middle of a snow storm, Trixie just happens to pass by a hole in the middle of the forest where her brother is stuck. I do like Trixie, and the idea of her and Jim together...but only time will tell.
Mark Baker
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's a new kid in town, and since strange things have started happening, Trixie thinks he's up to no good. Besides, he's always wearing that black jacket. Is she right? I love this book to this day, especially the great climax.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Ruth
Aug 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was an okay Trixie Belden. The mystery was extra light; Main characters were: Reagan & Mr. Maypenny. I did enjoy getting to know them both a little better. However, the excitement was a new bob-white, a wild animal & a super rescue! Worth reading via the library.
Annabel
Jun 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just like Trixie Belden's 7th book in the serious, Black Jacket Mystery was amazing! I loved every part in the story, and would once again reccomend this book to evreyone! Trixie Belden is a great mystery series.
Alyssa
Jul 08, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, if you can get past the old fashioned words like Gleeps and squaws then this is a decent book. The plot was a little bit too predictable. This book made me anxious, I just couldn't believe how STUPID they were. It was sweet though, especially if you don't read mysteries as much . . .
Tacey
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's easy to see this was not authored by Mrs. Tatham. In the first six stories, Mr. Belden was a quiet and kind authoritarian, not the stereotyped, old-fashioned, sexist "man of the house." Certainly not one the series better texts, but it introduces Dan Many an and completes the BWG family.
Kara
Nov 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen-sleuths
Dan Magan may be trouble but he sure is cool. Black leather jacket and cowboy boots spell trouble/cool.
Jackie
Oct 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Very interesting. Couldn't put it down.
Tara Calaby
Mar 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Not one of the better books. This one introduces Dan, the last of the main characters, but it's really low on mystery and the characterisation of the boys seems a little off at times.
Who is your favourite character? Why? 2 7 Apr 08, 2013 11:12AM
  • The Mysterious Visitor (Trixie Belden, #4)
  • The Mystery of the Fire Dragon (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #38)
  • Cherry Ames, Army Nurse (Cherry Ames, #3)
  • Secret of the Samurai Sword
  • The Bobbsey Twins of Lakeport (Bobbsey Twins, #1)
  • Hunting for Hidden Gold (Hardy Boys, #5)
The Kathryn Kenny pseudonym was created by Western Publishing House in 1961, three years after Julie Campbell wrote her last book (#6) of the Trixie Belden series. There were several ghost writers who wrote Trixie Belden stories under this pseudonym. Some have been identified and later credited but some are still unknown.
More about Kathryn Kenny...

Trixie Belden (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • The Secret of the Mansion (Trixie Belden #1)
  • The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden, #2)
  • The Gatehouse Mystery (Trixie Belden #3)
  • The Mysterious Visitor (Trixie Belden, #4)
  • The Mystery Off Glen Road (Trixie Belden, #5)
  • Mystery in Arizona (Trixie Belden, #6)
  • The Mysterious Code (Trixie Belden #7)
  • The Happy Valley Mystery (Trixie Belden, #9)
  • The Marshland Mystery (Trixie Belden, #10)
  • The Mystery at Bob-White Cave (Trixie Belden #11)