Start by marking “Genealogy Online for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Genealogy Online for Dummies

Genealogy Online for Dummies

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  144 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Researching our roots has become a top national pastime, and with the advent of the Internet, it's also become much faster and easier than before. Rather than hop in the car and hope you can find the courthouse of the county where your great-grandmother grew up before it closes, you can relax and research in the comfort of your own home, at your convenience. The only probl ...more
Published March 5th 2004 by For Dummies (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Genealogy Online for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Genealogy Online for Dummies

Heidi
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great resource!
Sunni
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a very helpful book. I have been doing genealogy research for years, and found all of the tips I would give someone who has just started research within its pages. I also found things that I hadn't previously thought of that I was able to use and I accomplished a lot. This is a perfect handbook for those who are interested in using the internet to further their research.
Den
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Lot of useful bits and pieces
Carolyn
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very helpful to build my family tree.
Stacy
Mar 20, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve been casually doing genealogy research for years, but I recently decided I wanted to step it up a notch. So I decided to go to the library and get a book. Their selection wasn’t huge, but I did find this one and thought I’d give it a try.

The instructions are quite basic in some areas, so I skipped entire pages. I know how to send an email and I know how to navigate the internet with a browser. I suppose that might be helpful to someone else, but I’m very familiar with computers.

Where I did
David V.
Feb 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just released. Current website info. Only about 1/3 of the way through the book, and I already found info about some members of my family that I didn't know before. Some website listings are by subscription only such as Ancestry.com, but it may be worth it to gain access to the "really good" stuff.
Finished the book yesterday. I could skip some sections which weren't relevant to my ancestry. Well-written, easy to understand.
Teena in Toronto
Jul 04, 2012 rated it liked it
I started putting together my family tree back in the late 1990s and forgot about it until a couple weeks ago. I've picked it back up again.

This was a good book for providing weblinks on where to find out info. I've only gone to a couple sites so far but I've already discovered that my paternal grandfather came from a family of five (I have their full names) and what his parents' names were. Very cool!

It's a great book for newbies like me!
Ben
Feb 04, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty link heavy. It seems like it would be great reference if you were stuck. And it was really geared towards those who are less web-saavy. It had some useful information, and good ideas on structuring your search, but this one is better borrowed from a library, and not bought.
Aspasia
Dec 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A "good read" for absolute beginners of genealogy. Be warned though that some of the website links might not work.
Randy Clays
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Dated material but some good information.
Elizabeth
Aug 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Useful and readable overview of online genealogical research - the possibilities and the pitfalls.
Strohmayer Tina
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
This book has helped my so many times. It is now my go to book whenever friends have questions.
Karen
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
very helpful guide to getting started and resources that are available.
Heather Wiese
Jan 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Has some interesting websites I want to check out, but as the title says...it's a little basic. When a section begins, "Open a World Wide Web browser" I just starting skimming.
Tucker
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Many useful references to websites and overviews of different research areas.
Amy
Feb 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those into genealogy...if you're not, it would bore you!
Recommended to Amy by: amazon.com
Great information that is helping me with my genealogy search.
Rae
May 01, 2008
Leslie
Jan 06, 2010
CHARLENE KIRCHER
rated it did not like it
Mar 16, 2018
  • Unpuzzling Your Past: The Best-Selling Basic Guide to Genealogy
  • Irish History for Dummies
  • Cool Careers For Dummies
  • Reiki For Dummies
  • The Family Tree Problem Solver: Proven Methods for Scaling the Inevitable Brick Wall
  • Frugal Living for Dummies