Start by marking “Motor Mouth (Alex Barnaby, #2)” as Want to Read:
Motor Mouth (Alex Barnaby, #2)

Motor Mouth (Alex Barnaby #2)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  22,872 Ratings  ·  770 Reviews
Sequel to the bestselling 'Metro Girl', this title features Alexandra 'Barney' Barnaby. A woman with a little bit of edge, a whole lot of smarts, and an uncanny knack for danger, Barney is back to mix it up with racing bad boy Sam Hooker and battle another set of bad guys.
Published August 6th 2007 by HarperTorch (first published October 3rd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Motor Mouth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Motor Mouth

S.P. Aruna
Fast paced, commmensurate with the NASCAR theme of the book. So fast paced you don't have time to recognize the ludicrousness of the events that happen one after the other. But Ms. Evanovich wit is just as fast, and I did enjoy that. And the teasingly sexy parts that never get to fulfillment. A quick light read with some chuckles.
Cherise
Jul 11, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
First I have to say that I am a HUGE Janet fan. I have all her books and have read and re-read them a zillion times. When Metro Girl came out I was excited... I was not thrilled with Metro Girl, but I liked it. I felt like it was a rushed book, not the greatest but good. Then she started Motor Mouth and kept pushing back the release date so I thought she was really taking her time with this one and it was going to be better. I was wrong! My sister and I bought the book on it's release date. My s ...more
Tiffunee
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Baltimore mechanic turned amateur sleuth Alexandra "Barney" Barnaby), the sexy bleached blonde and her hunky NASCAR driver and sometime boyfriend, Sam Hooker, stumble into a high-octane misadventure that implicates them in numerous felonies, including multiple murder, breaking and entering, kidnapping, and, of course, grand theft auto. Now working as Hooker's race-day spotter -- and trying to come to grips with the handsome driver's recent infidelity with a salesclerk -- Barnaby guides her forme ...more
Marla
Feb 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one better than the first, it was hilarious from start to finish. Nothing went as they planned with hilarious results(and lots of dead bodies along the way).

(view spoiler)
Rod
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
WE need more Nascar action comedies.

Here we have bad guys cheating at a Nascar race with some advanced computer micro-assistance, and then there's dead bodies, and thuggy bodyguards, A big Dog named Bean, Some hilarious Hispanic ladies, a Nascar Driver and his girlfriend Engineer trying to save their butts and blow up/steal as much as necessary.

A ludicrous story with some crazy characters. Definitely not for average readers.
Melanie
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book to read. I was a bit surprised that Barney was able to continue working with Hooker even though they were no longer together. A nice escape.
Schells
This story was just ok but I was entertained.
Tracy
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-books
Oh my goodness there was a lot going on in this book and it was too hard to believe that Hooker and Alex didn't end up messed up because of it. Everybody is always trigger happy in these books:)
A.M.
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love the Stephanie Plum series. They are formulaic and you always know what to expect but they make me laugh. This is book two in her Alex Barnaby series. Alex trained as an engineer but has somehow ended up in motor racing as a spotter.
From this position, she observes some odd behaviour from Gobbles, the spotter for another team, just before a crash that allows a less talented driver to win and her driver, Hooker, to come in second. She suspects that the team is cheating but she can’t prove i
Jocelyn Jazmen
This is my second Evanovich book, the first being Hot Six. And true to form, it has the same wit and charm and zinging one-liners. There is a lot of stuff on NASCAR racing which required a good knowledge of the subject, and which I appreciated up to a point. There are a lot of parallels with Hot Six, that seem to be formulaic.

Amusing Dog - in this one it's a St. Bernard, Beans. (Bob the retriever was in Hot Six)
Horny Man trying to get into heroines panties - in this one it's Sam Hooker, who ende
Cindy
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I probably would have liked this book better if I actually read it versus the book on tape. I did not care for the narrator at all. Her voices for the different characters were down right goofy. & I feel like I almost should be offended. I have seen many a NASCAR race and interviews and haven't came across anyone that sounded so stupid. Or southern. The narrator tried too hard, I think.

This was just okay. The hijinks were kind of unbeliveable, but it is a work of fiction. But I do think the
Amy
I must admit, there were some times that this had me chuckling. Mostly I think because I listened to the first Barney novel by Evanovich as an audio-book and I can still hear the reader's voice in my head as Hooker. "Darlin'!"

The further adventures of BArney and Hooker, once again in trouble and once again in Miami. The details about NASCAR tend to bore me, but I did enjoy some of the interplay amongst characters. Discussions on "the man in the boat" and such were amusing. I did have to wonder
Nancy
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Ok, so I didn't give up on Alex. Janet seems to have figured her out some, so I like Alex even better this time around, although I still have some beef with her. I don't find Alex's new career in NASCAR particularly plausible at all, for example. Surprising even me, Stephanie's transition to bondswoman makes more sense than Alex's engineering background turning her into a internationally-recognized racecar spotter. While I do appreciate the back-and-forth between Alex and her sometimes-boyfriend ...more
Just - The romance reader
An excellent sequel to Metro Girl the first Alex Barnaby novel. Alex "Barney" Barnaby and Sam Hooker make an excellent pair in these fast paced, action packed steamy novels. Barney is a hilarious, spunky, sassy character full of wit. Hooker is a Nascar driving, Barney loving hottie. The tag team make for a great second novel in the series. Although they stumble and make some mistakes along the way they're not so bad at the crime fighting, mystery solving business. The additional characters Rosa ...more
Anthony
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first "Barney and Hooker" book that I have read. I have read all of the Stephanie Plum books to date and see a lot of similarities between the two. Beautiful woman in an on-again off-again relationship with a guy with a big goofy dog that eats everything, getting caught up in heist and multiple shootings, having to clear her name before getting caught, and lots of various colorful supporting characters.

Since I am seeking light, enjoyable, funny, action books right now this one fit
Kristi Cramer
I listened to the audio book.

This started out a smidge slow, but quickly escalated into one of the funniest things I've ever listened to. I'm a long haul trucker, and I listened to this in two shifts. I laughed so often I worried I would wake my husband, and I had tears trying to keep my chuckles quiet.

It is wholly unbelievable (view spoiler), but I didn't care.

A very fun, dare I say hysterical, listen. I don't know how it would transfer to read th
Jennifer Green
I have never really been able to get into the other Evanovich series - Stephanie Plum all the way - so I thought that the graphic novels could break me into the Alex Barnaby stream since the first book didn't quite accomplish that. But unfortunately, this is one where you should read the series so that you understand the characters. I did like the approach and the call outs for each character were great, but ....
Rayni
Apr 24, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I ordered 2 books through interlibrary loan & they both came today! EEK! I have to read them in TWO weeks!!! Now, the question is, which do I read first? Running with Scissors or Look Me in the Eye? Then as if that doesn't complicate matters enough, I also have Motor Mouth & Shape Shifters to read, ACCKK
Cyndi
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! Can't wait to read more about Barney and Hooker. As usual, Janet Evanovich writes characters that quickly become friends.
Marlea
Feb 24, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what happened here. I enjoyed the first book but this one was a nightmare.

Two stars lost for how horrific the character of Hooker is. I'm not sure on what planet any woman wants to read about a woman who still partners with a cheating ex while thinking about how much she's ok with forgiving him. You don't "accidentally" sleep with someone else while "snockered" if you are in a relationship. It's basically every stereotype about cheating men who get away with it because they are goo
Jenna
Jan 01, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

I was listening to this on audio. I still don’t like the narrator CJ Critt but after 4 hrs. the previous day of listening to her, i got used to it. Since i needed something light to listen to at work, i decided to go ahead & do the second one in the alex barnaby series.

I’m a fan of Janet Evanovich. I like the Stephanie Plum series, enjoyed her early romances.
I have been going through her newer series (lizzy & diesel, knight & moon, etc.) which were pretty good.
But this one i
Mark Isaak
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone looking for plausibility in this plot has the wrong book. People are constantly showing up at the right (or wrong) place at the right time to drive the plot. If you judged by the number of chance meetings of the main characters, you would think the population of Miami is 500 people at most. But plausibility is not the point. The book is fun. A situation which starts off complicated gets more and more complicated, and comically unexpected, all the time. The characters are entertaining and ...more
Verity W
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
This had been sitting on the pile for a while, and whilst it was fine, I didn't love it. I think, basically, I'm not a huge an of Barney and Hooker. He's got all the worst bits of Morelli but without some of the redeeming features and that puts a real crimp on things for me. The mystery is nuts, but in that Evanovich kinda way that you don't really mind if it's rattling along and enough fun that you don't think too hard about it, but it's not always doing that as well as some of the others do. H ...more
Briana
ugh. Alex Barnaby is no Stephanie Plum. I'm not sure if that's what Evanovich was trying to achieve, but since this series ended at this book, I'm probably not the only one who things this.

I did the audio version, which was a fun listen, except for her interpretation of Hooker. I pictured him in my head a little less redneck and this narrator gave him the worst twang. But oh well. In true Evanovich fashion, the plot line was far-fetched, the jokes were sub-par (she has had some good ones, but n
Mary Clayton
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actually picked up the audio book at Cracker Barrel while we were on vacation. This was the first Evanovich book we had seen.
From the beginning the book was fast paced and funny. My husband had to pull the car over numerous times we were laughing so hard.
this is in my mind the best book she has written. I don't remember the readers name but she was amazing. Anyway if you want a light hearted laugh get this one and enjoy
Des
This was again the second book of a series where I didn't have the first one. It read fine as a stand alone, but I didn't really enjoy it. All the things that happened felt unrealistic and just, why did they make the decisions they make. Don't be so stupid you know? Some parts were okay but overall it wasn't anything to write home about. Also the most annoying thing about this story was Hooker, pushy guys are horrible, no is no even if you want her.
Angela
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barnaby and Hooker are in trouble, again. Lots of comedic moments amidst lots of problems. From steeling a truck and digging up bodies; from kidnapping to dog poo. It's a fun time. Just don't look for more than entertainment value in this book. If you're looking for a serious read this book isn't for you.
Jackie
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: janet-evanovich
This one was just ok for me... First one was definitely better!!

This was just an ok read for me. Wasn't super impressed. First one was way better. Stephanie plum series is definitely my fave too!
Heather
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic Evanovich hijinks in a non-Plum world. Just because I'm so burnt out on the Stephanie Plum series, anything Janet writes that isn't set in that world, I find super refreshing and different.

Perfect fluffy action-comedy book!
Andrea Elkins
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trad-mystery
Listened as an audiobook while driving from Tennessee to central Maine. C.J. Critt did an excellent job of distinguishing the characters' voices. Enjoyable read with unexpected twists and turns. This is the first Barnaby novel I've read and I will watch for others.
Join in the discussions! 5 33 Oct 25, 2014 06:32PM
Free Books, .99 &...: Autographed Janet Evanovich Book Giveaway! 2 14 Oct 20, 2012 01:19AM
Book Haven: Signed Janet Evanovich's "Motor Mouth" Giveaway 1 5 Oct 20, 2012 12:35AM
Advanced Copies f...: Autographed Janet Evanovich Book Giveaway! 1 3 Oct 20, 2012 12:11AM
  • Foul Play
  • Bubbles Betrothed (Bubbles Yablonsky, #5)
  • Nutcase (Crazy, #2)
  • Have Your Cake and Kill Him Too (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #5)
  • 4 Bodies and a Funeral (Body Movers, #4)
  • Maggie by the Book (Maggie Kelly Mystery, #2)
  • Perfectly Plum: Unauthorized Essays On the Life, Loves And Other Disasters of Stephanie Plum, Trenton Bounty Hunter
  • Calamity Jayne Heads West (Calamity Jayne, #5)
  • The Plot Thickens (Fearless Jones, #0.5)
  • Undercover in High Heels (High Heels, #3)
  • G'Day to Die (Passport to Peril, #5)
  • McNally's Folly (Archy McNally, #9)
  • Don't Look Down
More about Janet Evanovich

Alex Barnaby (4 books)
  • Metro Girl (Alex Barnaby, #1)
  • Troublemaker (Alex Barnaby #3)
  • Troublemaker 2 (Alex Barnaby #4)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Finding Claire Fletcher (Claire Fletcher, #1)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Fierce Radiance
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrongful Death (David Sloane, #2)
  • Playing Dead
  • Look Behind You
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Where the Memories Lie
    $4.99 $1.99
  • White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
  • Nineteen Seventy Four
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite, #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Wrath (Luis Chavez, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Three (Codename: Chandler, #3)
  • The Hollow Men: A Novel
    $15.95 $1.99
    $7.99 $1.99
“Happens to me all the time...People are always underestimating my dumbness.” 99 likes
“God's a busy guy. He don't have time to micromanage. What are the chances he heard that? It's early in the morning. He's probably having breakfast with Mrs. God.” 26 likes