Start by marking “Dead Cells” as Want to Read:
Dead Cells

Dead Cells (DEAD)

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  167 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
As a prisoner in one of the most brutal facilities imaginable, Shane Bridge thought that he'd seen it all. Surrounded by murderers, rapists, gangsters
and paedophiles, Shane had managed to survive his three years in one piece. With parole just around the corner, and his wife and daughter at home awaiting
his return, Shane has high-hopes for the future.

When a new inmate is br
Published September 8th 2011 by Crowded Quarantine Publications (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Cells, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Cells

BookLoversLife
Shane is an average man. He's never been in trouble before but now finds himself in prison. One stupid action has caused him to spend time in jail with murderers, rapists, gangsters
and paedophiles. He is up for parole soon and looking forward to getting back to his life with his wife and daughter. But when a new inmate arrives, bringing with him a deadly virus, it's up to Shane and a handful of survivours, to get out alive!

I have to admit that the concept of an outbreak in a prison really entic
Kaisersoze
On paper, this looked like a great read from an author who had several books to his name. In practice, it was a little disappointing. The ingredients are all there: the prison setting, the sudden outbreak of a virus that turns its victims into zombies that hunger for the flesh of the living, and an ever dwindling group of characters that are trying to survive. The execution, however, lacked. Most of the characters are barely sketched in so their deaths elicit only minor reactions. Some also felt ...more
Amie's Book Reviews

Length: 5 hours and 52 minutes

Genre: Zombie Fiction

Release Date: March 13, 2015

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars ⭐⭐⭐

* I received a free copy of this audiobook in exchange for an honest review through Audiobook Blast.

THE STORY:

The premise of this novel is a zombie outbreak in a high security prison. Not a bad idea, but limited in scope. Despite that, I decided to give this audiobook a chance.

The main character is a r
chucklesthescot
Apr 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shane is thinking about the end of his armed robbery sentence where he will be released and get home to his family. His hopes soon end when a seriously ill new prisoner starts to infect other prisoners and spreads a deadly virus.

This will be a short review as I felt that nothing about this book really worked for me. It is very disjointed, moving aimlessly between different characters that have little or no development along with flashbacks to previous events for Shane. There is no flow or cohesi
Kay Brooks
Jul 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I had this downloaded to my Kindle for a little over a pound: Bargain! From the start I was hooked. The characters are interesting, some are likeable, others I enjoyed hating. The main character, Shane, is developed so that you genuinely care about his safety and are with him every step of the way as he makes his way through the gory scenes within the prison. The ending was left on a cliff-hanger, which I hope means there might be a follow up novel!

Product Description
As a prisoner in one of the
Derek
Feb 04, 2012 rated it liked it
I feel a bit generous in giving this 3 stars. It wasn't terrible, and it was a fast enough read, but it wasn't great. The device of having a zombie attack/plague in a prison is certainly nothing new (Robert Kirkman did it in The Walking Dead years ago, just to name one off the top of my head), but it was an interesting take on things. The writing needs improvement, and they need to fire the editor (if they even had one) and find someone who will catch spelling errors. Also, the formatting needs ...more
Sinn
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ich habe selten ein derart schlecht übersetztes Buch gelesen. Hoffe ich zumindest. Nicht, weil ich diesen Satz schon immer mal schreiben wollte, sondern vielmehr weil dadurch zumindest jenem Teil der Menschheit, der dieses Buch in einer anderen Sprache liest, einiges erspart geblieben ist.

Die Story selbst ist dabei gar nicht mal so übel. Ich würde sie nicht als fundamental neu bezeichnen - aber sie steht vielen anderen Zombieepedemie-Geschichten nicht viel nach.

Ich werde den zweiten Teil zwar ni
Annie
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
** I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review **

I like this book...it is creepy and disturbing...and I cant wait to listen to book 2!

This story is mostly about Shane...he tried to rob a liquor store to help his family, and got caught...he is now in one of the worst prisons in his state...and avoiding sex offenders and murderers...he is lucky he has a big celly that watches his back...so when the infection breaks out and everything starts to hit the fan he has someone w
Launa
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: zombie
It was only OK. The characters simply aren't fleshed out enough to really care about them or even remember them. It's pretty fast paced with the typical amount of gruesome detail. Worst part about it was the constant use of British slang and obviously not American references in a story that takes place IN the USA with supposed all American characters. If the author is British, he should stick to what he knows or take the time to do proper research. This was insanely annoying.
Lisa
Adam Millard managed to make this zombie story interesting by having a zombie breakout start in a prison. Without that, it would have been just another zombie story. The prison aspect forces guards and inmates to work together when two hours previously they would have jumped at the chance to beat the others down.

I received a free copy of this audio book from the author, narrator or publisher in exchange for an unbiased review.
Dustin Schroer
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies
I actually really enjoyed this take on the zombie apocalypse. I also thought this was pretty origional. I don't really know of any other story that shows a zombie outbreak from the perspective of prisoners (yet). Yes The Walking Dead uses a prison as a refuge, but that's after the prison has already been overrun. It doesn't show us how the prison fell or what the prisoners went through.
Darren Dilnott
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If good ZA books were semtex, Adam Millard's Dead Cells would have blown me to minuscule spots of gore. It's always a treat to stumble across ZA, that doesn't try to be too clever, or too different, and offers up a welcome, traditional, home cooked splatterfest. With great characters, and buckets full of humour, Dead Cells shows what an immense talent Adam Millard is.
Rolando Gill
Jun 26, 2012 rated it liked it

The vocabulary was bollocks. I want to kick this book to the kerb. The colloquialisms were distracting. The story was not bad. Eh!
Colin Stewart
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Fairly standard zombie gore-fest. Nothing particularly interesting or original compared with other novels in the genre.
Sean C
Feb 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Not bad - well paced and didn't wander off from the plot. No explanation for the zombie apocalypse, but that's his call.
Brian Mcclain
Jun 01, 2015
Michael Spinks
Aug 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Necrophobia (Zombie Apocalypse #1)
  • Life Among the Dead
  • Outbreak (The Zombie Chronicles, #1)
  • The Lost Journal (Secret Apocalypse)
  • The Bitter Seasons (Living with the Dead, #2)
  • Apocalypse End (Reign of the Dead #2)
  • Zombie Bits (Murdermouth)
  • White Flag of The Dead (White Flag of the Dead, #1)
  • Sven the Zombie Slayer
  • The Outbreak (The Sixth Extinction, #1)
  • New Zed Order: Survive
  • Rise of the Horde (Zombie Attack #1)
  • Evolution (LZR-1143, #2)
  • Super Zombie Juice Mega Bomb
  • Domain of the Dead (Domain of the Dead #1)
  • Zombie Attack!!! (Caverns and Creatures)
  • Flotilla of the Dead  (Sovereign Spirit Saga, #2)
  • Gehenna (West of Hell #1)
Adam Millard is the author of twenty novels, twelve novellas, and more than two hundred short stories, which can be found in various collections and anthologies. Probably best known for his post-apocalyptic fiction, Adam also writes fantasy/horror for children and Bizarro fiction for several publishers. His work has recently been translated for the German market.
More about Adam Millard