Start by marking “Round the Bend” as Want to Read:
Round the Bend

Round the Bend

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  568 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Jeremy Clarkson gets really riled in Round the Bend. What's it like to drive a car that's actively trying to kill you? This and many other burning questions trouble Jeremy Clarkson as he sets out to explore the world from the safety of four wheels. Avoiding the legions of power-crazed traffic wombles attempting to block highway and byway, he he: Shows how the world of perf ...more
Published 2011 by Michael Joseph (first published July 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Round the Bend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Round the Bend

Brian Clegg
Dec 25, 2011 rated it liked it
I know it's popular to despise Jeremy Clarkson, but I'm one of the many who find his buffoonery amusing. However I was a bit doubtful that I would find a collection of car reviews, some of them over 3 years old, entertaining. I shouldn't have worried. Clarkson's reviews typically only mention the car in the last 20% of the piece - the rest is an entertaining commentary on life from the Clarkson viewpoint.

I found the whole thing tantalisingly moreish. Admittedly occasionally I was a little worri
Kevin de Ataíde
This collection of articles presents more the philosophy of the author than the several cars that seemingly must be reviewed at some point in an article. I cannot say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading them, but they did make me laugh several times. Three stars.
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
One thing is clear from this book, if you do not like Jeremy then you will not enjoy this read. I do like Jeremy - that's not to say I agree with him all the time - and so I enjoyed this like I have all his others. It's not rocket science, it's not going to break boundaries in literature or win The Booker Prize but it's eminently readable and enjoyable. I love the way he starts off talking about any old random thing that has happened to him and ends up weaving it in to something to do with the c ...more
Maarja
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked to read it inbetween books, so if I needed a break from another book, I could just start "Round the Bend" wherever I left over and read how many pages/articles I liked, put it down and repeat this process later.
Roshnara Mohamed
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Let me make something clear - I know nothing about cars. I asked my dad what a V8 engine is and was subjected to a half hour class on different engines, complete with diagrams, and I'm still clueless.
That being said, I enjoyed reading this collection of car reviews by Clarkson. An amalgamation of his reviews from the Sunday Times over a year or so, you get Clarkson at his snarky best, lamenting about crying Guardian readers who have descended to wreak havoc on petrolheads like himself. The occas
Robert Hepple
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First published in 2011, Round the Bend is a collection of humorous articles previously published from 2008-2009. Each article is ostensibly a review of a particular car, but usually ends up being a serious of funny anecdotes before finishing with a small mention of the car concerned. The humour is just what most people would expect from Clarkson, so you either love it or hate it. I love it, because his constant self parody as a buffoon/clown with no concept of political correctness is all part ...more
Sean
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
More tongue-in-cheek hilarity from a man who, while controversial and far from wholly likeable, is arguably one of the best columnists in Britain.
Lee Broderick
In 2004, The Sunday Times suddenly realised that it was sitting on a literary sensation. Compiling two years' worth of Jeremy Clarkson's newspaper columns amounted to enough material for a book and, having done this, it sold well. The following year, they repeated the trick by compiling two years worth of his columns for the motoring supplement (now some kind of car/gadget/stuff supplement). The only strange thing about this is that it took them so long: it's essentially the same trick that the ...more
Jonesy_laaa
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
I've read most of Clarkson's novels and I'm sorry to say that this disappointed me.

His writing style is still the same and is easily accessible to the audience. But in this novel, I found myself struggling to get into it overall.

I think with this book in particular, the focus of the novel hasn't been achieved. For me, I felt lost at times during the novel and felt that the direction that Clarkson was going in felt unnatural, forced and I suppose in a way not needed.

Overall, I was left annoyed a
Melanie
If you're going to be insulted by anyone, you'll want it to be Mr. Clarkson or someone of his linguistic ilk. Some of my favourite jibes so far:
*Road cyclists = Lycra Nazis
*The vibrant colouring [of the Subaru Impreza] does at least take your mind off the fact that this is a GBP 25,000 car that comes with fewer toys than an Ethiopian birthday boy.
*Imagine drinking a pint of hemlock, setting yourself on fire and then jumping out of a plane when it's directly overhead a combine harvester. You don'
Trevor
Sep 05, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is one of his car books and is a collection of his articles from newspapers.

It's pretty good, I really like Clarkson's stuff and Top Gear is one of my favourite shows on TV... but, I'm not a petrol head or care that much about cars.

This was a christmas present from last year and if I'd have known it was a car book I'd probably not have bothered to ask for it. That said, it's not just 100% cars, there is some humour thrown in as well.

You'll love it if you're interested in cars, but if n
NightAuditMan
I bought this book because the BBC show "Top Gear". I love the show and all the tidbits and silly things they do on it. That tongue-in-cheek approach of Jeremy's is especially my favourite part. I figured it would translate into his writing.

It does - sort of. The main problem I have with this book is that frankly I'm not British and therefore do not get half of the referenced to culture he is pointing out. The book is still funny and easy to read but missing out on those little things did irk me
Quanti
Jul 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Finally!!! I like Jeremy Clarkson very much, but mainly in Top Gear, where 1) I have subtitles and 2) he doesn't quite so much abound with his vast - and in this case annoying - English vocabulary. I really didn't enjoy having to search 1-5 word meanings in every page. That's why it took me so long though I genuinely like his style of writing. And no, translation is not an option because the translation always sux... so probably my last Clarkson, but I'll always look forward to him in TG!
Adam Davis
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Having read the last few rather disappointing Clarkson books, I approached this one with a little trepidation. However, it was better than I expected, in fact several times I found myself laughing out loud. It is composed mainly of Jeremy's car reviews, but don't let that put you off, because he seldom spends more than a few sentences on the cars themselves, preferring to go off at an often random and amusing tangent.
Prashanth Baskaran
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, humour
A great read. If you want to truly enjoy this book, I recommend you do not read it in one go. Instead read it as if you'd watch a television series. Enjoy each article in the book individually. You'll be entertained in abundance.
There are some people who have a definitive gift of writing and the soul of wit. Jeremy Clarkson is the one of these rare authors.
António
Nov 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: physical-world
Collecting a multitude of car review articles, one can't help to find the inherent humour in Clarkson's writing hilarious most of the times, especially when it seems for basically all of them that the focus is on basically anything else, but the car.

A worthy read to get some good laughs off the topic of cars and petrol heads.
Dinnie
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Clarkson, as always, delivers articles that are witty and hilarious. As a Top Gear fan, I could hear his voice through the words, if it makes any sense. Compared to his older work The World According To Clarkson, this one is focused more on cars, which makes it better in my opinion.

I might be biased.
John
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Being a fan of Top Gear, but not a reader of the Sunday Times (where the pieces in this book are taken from), I found Mr. Clarkson somewhat less palatable here than he is on television. But he's still witty and informative and of course, always a refreshing counterblast.

Thierry
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comique
Another bite of british humor. This books regroup some articles about cars that Jeremy made far a newspaper (dont' ask me wich !)

As ever the typical british humour, the cynical point of view about all and not only cars make me laugh.. I like top gear, and i like his humour.
Jim Thornton
Dec 29, 2011 rated it liked it
No real need for a review here. This is a collection of Clarkson's Sunday Times columns, and whilst amusing and entertaining (although ultimately a bit repetitive) does not constitute a real book. Leisure reading.
Tara
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, humour
What can I say, I love Jeremy Clarkson. This book is an anthology of the columns he writes for a UK newspaper, and includes his typical wit found in Top Gear UK.
Jack Watson
Feb 19, 2012 rated it liked it
typical clarkson. meandering rambling outpsoken nonsense about anything and everything but informative and enjoyable nontheless
Kylie Martin
Sep 19, 2013 rated it liked it
To be honest these books are getting harder to read. the novelty has worn off with the writing style.
Matt Carl
Feb 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Collection of newspaper columns. Nothing really exciting about the cars themselves, but Clarkson really is a good writer. Very entertaining.
David Stevens
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome, Hilarious and definitely a great read for any car enthusiast! His views on many things are the perfect dose of critical with hints of his great sense of humour.
Paul
Oct 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2011
Classic Clarkson. A man who does not let facts get in the way of his opinion
Craig Tonkin
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. So much to laugh at. The humour, wit, sarcasm is endless.
Adam
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Clarkson's razor sharp sarcasm serves him well, in this latest addition to his impressive literary acumen.
Chris
Feb 26, 2014 rated it liked it
A book stuffed full of car reviews. But, unlike some of Clarkson's 'World according to...' articles, none of them stick with you after you've read the next one.
Simonne
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
and again I loved his cynical humor. Great stories about cars. He and I, we have the same humor !
  • Car Fever: Dispatches From Behind The Wheel
  • Or Is That Just Me?
  • And on that Bombshell: Inside the Madness and Genius of Top Gear
  • The Man in the White Suit: The Stig, Le Mans, the Fast Lane and Me
  • Totally Frank: The Autobiography of Frank Lampard
  • A Theory of Adaptation
  • The Call of the Mild (Psych, #3)
  • The House That Hugh Laurie Built: An Unauthorized Biography and Episode Guide
  • Always Remember to Tip Your Ninja: And Other Maxims for the Clinically Absurd
  • Confucius Cat Says...
  • #Self: Taming Your Inner Online Menace
  • How to Piss in Public: From Teenage Rebellion to the Hangover of Adulthood
  • Pencils Make Good Darts
  • Is That Thing Diesel?: One Man, One Bike and the First Lap Around Australia on Used Cooking Oil
  • No Angel: The Secret Life of Bernie Ecclestone
  • Liquidate Paris
  • Death of a Revolutionary: Che Guevara's Last Mission
  • From Russia with Love/Dr No/Goldfinger
Jeremy Charles Robert Clarkson (born April 11, 1960) is an English broadcaster and writer who specialises in motoring.

He writes weekly columns for The Sunday Times and The Sun, but is better known for his role on the BBC television programme Top Gear.

From a career as a local journalist in the north of England, he rose to public prominence as a presenter of the original format of Top Gear in 1988.

Nonfiction Deals

$12.99 $3.99
    $15.99 $2.99
  • By Myself and Then Some
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery (A Toltec Wisdom Book)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • Wish You Happy Forever: What China's Orphans Taught Me About Moving Mountains
    $14.74 $1.99
  • The Return: Fathers, Sons and the Land in Between
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Smoke and Pickles: Recipes and Stories from a New Southern Kitchen
    $18.95 $2.99
  • Founding Mothers
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation (Kindle Edition)
  • Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Ida: A Sword Among Lions
    $8.24 $2.99
  • A Natural History of the Senses (Vintage)
  • Unsinkable: A Memoir
    $14.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Identical Strangers: A Memoir of Twins Separated and Reunited
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Life of Lobsters: How Fishermen and Scientists Are Unraveling the Mysteries of Our Favorite Crustacean
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Fierce Patriot: The Tangled Lives of William Tecumseh Sherman
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams
  • The Reaper: Autobiography of One of the Deadliest Special Ops Snipers
  • Our Revolution: A Future to Believe In
“The new MX-5 is like the new Ford Mondeo and the Subaru
Legacy Outback. It is one of those cars that's absolutely brilliant ... and nobody buys it. You never see one on the road.”
1 likes
“Everything I have ever bought is in my car. People say it’s a skip and disgusting, and refuse to get in there. That’s one advantage. Another is that last week, I needed a headache pill and it was simply a case of rummaging under the seat until I found one. Because it’s so full of junk, I always have everything I could conceivably need. A Biro, a refreshing drink, lots of loose change, all sorts of maps, an iron lung, and so on. I kid you not. There’s even a wetsuit in there.” 1 likes