Start by marking “You Wouldn't Want to Be a Roman Gladiator! (You Wouldn't Want To)” as Want to Read:
You Wouldn't Want to Be a Roman Gladiator! (You Wouldn't Want To)

You Wouldn't Want to Be a Roman Gladiator! (You Wouldn't Want to...)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  399 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Think again! This delightful series brings something unusual to the study of history: humor. You Wouldn't Want to... revels in the darker side of life in ancient times. The reader is on center stage as he or she gets a tour through life as a slave, warrior, explorer -- even a mummy! Hilarious illustrations, captions, and sidebars leave no doubt that you simply wouldn't wan ...more
Published September 1st 2001 by Children's Press(CT) (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about You Wouldn't Want to Be a Roman Gladiator!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Wouldn't Want to Be a Roman Gladiator!

Set
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. The truth is that Gladiators were famous and beloved by the Roman people, so famous that some Romans signed up to be Gladiators and fight in the arena. The Roman Empire is littered with Graffiti of Gladiators with how many battles they've won. The sign "up" and "down" with the thumb was created by Hollywood directors. We know that thumb signs were used by the emperor but we don't know how the "pressed thumb" was shown to the people.
If you were a "guallia comata" (Gual), crimin
Dolly
Nov 15, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We've read several books in the You Wouldn't Want To... series.

I like that they tackle serious historical events and show the not-so-nice side of human behavior, but in a somewhat humorous and tongue-in-cheek way.

The book puts you as the reader into the center of the story, so you can imagine what life in those times was like.

Life for a Gladiator in ancient Rome was a difficult and often dangerous existence. Torn from family and trained to fight to kill, a gladiator had few rights and often a
Amy
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Amy by: Chandra
You Wouldn't Want to Be a Roman Gladiator is not for kids younger than 2nd or 3rd grade, I think, but it's a very informative and engrossing way to teach history to kids in the appropriate age bracket. The book does not shy away from telling readers exactly what gladiators did, and what they experienced with their own bodies, and the book is clear that gladiator fights were battles to the death. That point, by the way, is bluntly and, for a children's book, perhaps shockingly, reinforced in the ...more
Tina
Jun 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have read a bunch of these books with/along with the kids. Very informative and entertaining but not for the squeamish. I'm amazed the number of books that they have. I like how they pick subjects that have been glamorized by books/tv/movies and give a more realistic account of daily life way back when. Makes me grateful I live today with all the modern conveniences.

We have read about building the pyramids, being a servant, French Aristocrat during the revolution, passenger on the Titanic, pio
Nikki
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: byl-level-1
Some of the information in this book about slavery and the crowd deciding if the gladiator lives or dies was surprising to me. I was very happy to be reading this aloud vs having handed it to my 6 yr old to read alone! The presentation worked ok despite the topic and she choose to read it multiple times before we returned it to the library.
Christabelle
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mixed reviews. We like the series “You wouldn’t want to be...” but one child was highly disturbed by the subject matter. “It would have been fine if they had chosen to fight, but they were MADE to!” Another thought it was “Cool.” Looking forward to listening to our Adventures in Odyssey episode on Telemachus the monk.
Wasif
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Gladiator are very famous in Roman. They are famous, Because they are big and strong. They trained hard to became a gladiator. Once are a gladiator you can't run away from it, if you do you get punish and spend your life in jail. But If you lose in a fight, you still die. So in both you die.
Maria
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, facts
What happened if you lose war from Roman. Your life will change forever. Very Interesting and scary!
Kaelin Miller
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. As a child, it gave me an idea on what it would be like if I was a roman gladiator. Romans were brutal and ruthless people who liked watching others fight for entertainment.
Wetdryvac Wetdryvac
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Eh.
Dale
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An entertaining, historically solid book - for 4th graders and over

You Wouldn't Want to Be a Roman Gladiator
is entertaining and it contains solid, accurate history presented in a visually interesting format.

While I've been looking a few of the books from this series for my own personal entertainment, my almost 4th grade daughter has been sneaking them out of the stack and reading them without any encouragement from me. Imagine! Kids surreptitiously reading history!

The book details the life o
Lynn
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A 'Mad Magazine' approach to a topic that could be gruesome indeed -- Roman Gladiators. From where gladiators came from, to how they were trained and the different types of gladiators, this is a very comprehensive, tongue-in-cheek overview of Ancient Rome's gladiator culture.
While the presentation is cartoonish and somewhat slapstick, the information contained in this book is solid, and this adult reader found herself completely engaged from start to finish. Ancient Rome is studied in several gr
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
Read by: Mary
Title: You Wouldn't Want to Be a Roman Gladiator!
Author: John Malam
Illustrator: David Antram
Genre: Informational
Interest Level: 3 - 5
Grade level Equivalent: 4.7
Lexile Measure®: 810L
Guided Reading: R

This book starts with talking to the reader in a first person point of view, it makes the reader a Gaul, the people of Gallia, whom Rome conquered. It puts you in the shoes of the conquered, walking the reader through being a slave and then having to be a gladiator and what the slave ha
Sanah
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
This gruesome book on Roman gladiators is very informative and entertaining. Written in a humorous way, this book gives readers an insight into the lives of Roman gladiators, in a light hearted manner.

Containing colourful images to accompany the text, readers are encapsulated by the horrors of what gladiators did, what they experienced and how gladiators fought till their death.

This book contains a wealth of information on the gladiators, presented in a simple, clear layout.

I used this book du
Rachel
Feb 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Cute informational book about how slaves become Roman Gladiators. Includes latin phrases and I'm thinking is a little bit fact mixed with fiction. Seeing as I took Latin in high school, I enjoyed this book.
Iverson
Mar 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
asome this is so very very very very asome
Maura Badji
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
In 2010 my son had a brief gladiator phase. He enjoyed this fun and somewhat informative book.
Tessa
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school-books
We love all these You Wouldn't Want To books! Kudos to Malam for making history downright awesomely interesting and funny! Read each of them, you won't be sorry.
Duane
Mar 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
A very good book that gives the reader plenty of information about how slaves became gladiators in Roman times. Filled with great illustrations, this book is a fun read for any age.
Wendy
Sep 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'm reading these (You Wouldn't Want to Be....)books with my kids..they are adorable.
Kelly Carey
Aug 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Once again another book in the "You Wouldn't Want to Be" series touches on the subject of slavery and how people were sold and then forced to fight as a gladiator.
Timothy
Mar 31, 2009 rated it liked it
I like the humor in history it gives
Regena
Brittany Harrington
Nov 13, 2009
Maggie
Jun 19, 2012
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be in Alexander the Great's Army!: Miles You'd Rather Not March
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Greek Athlete!: Races You'd Rather Not Run
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be an Egyptian Mummy!: Disgusting Things You'd Rather Not Know
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Slave in Ancient Greece!: A Life You'd Rather Not Have
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be Cleopatra!: An Egyptian Ruler You'd Rather Not Be
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be Sick in the 16th Century!: Diseases You'd Rather Not Catch
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Viking Explorer!: Voyages You'd Rather Not Make
  • Cleopatra
  • The Great Wall Of China
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be at the Boston Tea Party!: Wharf Water Tea, You'd Rather Not Drink
  • Tutankhamen's Gift
  • Rome Antics
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Civil War Soldier!: A War You'd Rather Not Fight
  • The Librarian Who Measured the Earth
  • The Greek News
  • Who Were the Romans?
  • The Trojan Horse: How the Greeks Won the War
  • Marguerite Makes a Book

You Wouldn't Want to... (1 - 10 of 138 books)
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be an Aztec Sacrifice!: Gruesome Things You'd Rather Not Know
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Viking Explorer!: Voyages You'd Rather Not Make
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be in a Medieval Dungeon!: Prisoners You'd Rather Not Meet
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be on Apollo 13!: A Mission You'd Rather Not Go on
  • You Wouldnt Want to Climb Mount Everest!: A Deadly Journey to the Top of the World
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Medieval Knight!: Armor You'd Rather Not Wear
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Pyramid Builder!: A Hazardous Job You'd Rather Not Have

Nonfiction Deals

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99