Start by marking “Steal Me for Your Stories” as Want to Read:
Steal Me for Your Stories

Steal Me for Your Stories

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  53 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Steal Me For Your Stories, the debut collection from New York author Robb Todd, pulls the reader in opposite directions, mixing the tender and vulnerable with the raw and sometimes raunchy, a hard and soft clip to the ears. It’s a journey you want to go on, even though you are not sure what to pack, the weather being completely unpredictable.

Todd’s stories, often set again
Published January 31st 2012 by Tiny Hardcore Press (first published January 28th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Steal Me for Your Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steal Me for Your Stories

Robb Todd
Oct 25, 2011 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: small-press
This is the best book I have ever written. By far.
Ashwin Sodhi
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A dangerous book. People have been hung for less.

What messes with me most is how it warps distance, between the narrator and other human beings, between you and the "Razor Wire" fence keeping you from the certainly maybe fun things on the other side. Between people and other people. Between you and the writer. But unlike some short story collections that rely on tightening and tightening until everything is so close it explodes, the distance in Steal Me For Your Stories doesn't have a direction
Stephanie
Nov 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
I read this for the Book Riot Read Harder 2017 challenge bc it was published by a micro press. But this book was definitely not for me.
Luis Perez
Feb 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've been very lax in reviewing this book. I've read it several times over and it's one of the best books I've ever read.

It's short but packs a punch. You can pick this up, open it to virtually any page and away you go.

A whole lot of living takes place in its few pages. Short stories, super-short stories and a few longer reads punctuate this stellar first work. You may not like everything in this gritty book rooted firmly in cruel yet glorious reality, but there is surely something in here that
valerie
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
in my mind i picture robb todd as an anonymous fixture on every new york subway. appearing oblivious, while texting and headphones worn but not on, rarely making eye contact with any other passenger. all the while, deep in his wild writer mind, he is compiling an endless report of happening. seeding out the mundane from the exquisitely mundane. steal me for your stories is robb's translation of the babble coming from the world surrounding him. and he is a master interpreter.

i've been reading rob
Alexander Fofonoff
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love this book, love this style, love this author. Felt transported by the flow of the stories and found myself missing my subway stop a couple of times because of it.

Can't wait to read the next one!
Andre Jones Jr
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Every line in this collection reads like a one-inch punch to the jugular. This might be the gun-to-the-head of book for me.
Brian
Jan 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, tiny-hardcore
Robb Todd is like a Douglas Coupland without the moralizing. His is a life after life after god. Whatever faith Coupland clung to has been stripped away and all we are left with is moment after observed moment strung together with taut highwire. Maybe the faith is now in us, the reader, to traverse those expanses from one thought to another, unaided by such props as balancing poles or unicycles.

RT describes what seems to me to be the quintessential male experience: sex, drinking, smoking mar
Kim
Mar 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
"Steal Me for Your Stories" is a collection of Todd's short stories, but they aren't just simple short stories which are meant to entertain the readers. They are written in first-person perspective - each of the stories reveals an aspect of the main character's life: sex, parties, drunkenness, relationships etc, and it's not hard to see that they are all from one single character - a young male living in a busy city. You might find the stories a little vulnerable, but they all portrays this craz ...more
Sara Habein
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sara by: Roxane
Shelves: own
Steal Me For Your Stories is full of passion, loneliness, and intoxicated philosophy. It is a series of fucked up small moments that may or may not be true — despite the frequent “Hand to God” insistence — but it doesn’t really matter. They feel true, and that’s good enough.

It is 160 perfect little pages, and I’m so glad that the pages lived up to its excellent title.

(My full review can be found on Word Riot.)
Kris V B
Dec 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: indie-press
The size and publisher seem to have been the perfect fit for this collection of flash pieces.
They all seem to be non-fiction or creative non-fiction - which is awesome - but the tone I found to be one note, and memorable perhaps on a line-by-line basis.

Overall good to know what's being published by indie publishers today, as a writer keeping an eye of the industry.
Dylan May
Mar 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Robb is one of the most descriptive writers I have ever read, he paint pictures with words like a modern Picasso. When I first received my copy I thought, "What a little fucking book." For such a little fucking book this contains an immense amount of emotion.
Scotty
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Robb Todd is by far one of my favorite writers. I've been following him for awhile now and his work wraps up a level of sincerity and humor that is never forced or contrived. This collection is great range of short story gems - can't wait to read more from him!!
Danny
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Danny by: http://www.robbtodd.com/stealmeforyou...
A kickass, brilliant new voice in fiction. This collection is a necessary read.
Erica
Jan 17, 2016
Jenny
Oct 29, 2017 added it
Shelves: 2017
Read for Book Riot’s Read Harder Challenge 2017. Read a book published by a micropress. I read the kindle version not the actual print copy for the sake of time/accessibility. While I was reading this I had Hemingway (albeit Hemingway from Midnight in Paris) in the back of my mind telling me “this is real and true and so it is beautiful. In that Hemingway way.
Jason Lee
xTx xTx
Oct 18, 2011
Michael
May 05, 2015
I am a writer in New York City. I have lived all over the country, and was lucky enough to live in Hawaii twice. I also lived in Texas twice. And North Carolina twice. Actually, this is my second stop in New York, too, so I guess I just do not do things right the first time.

Say hi: robb (at) robbtodd (dot) com.