Start by marking “It's Not My Fault: The No-Excuses Plan for Overcoming the Effects of People, Circumstances or DNA and Enjoying God's Best” as Want to Read:

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  160 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
What seems like just a common, no-harm-done excuse-"It's not my fault "-is often a dangerous trap, say Drs. Henry Cloud and John Townsend, because people don't recognize what the blaming mindset does to them. It not only keeps them from overcoming the effects of all that they can't control-like other people, circumstances and genetics-but separates them from a solution. An ...more
Published January 1st 2007 by Integrity Publishers

To ask other readers questions about It's Not My Fault, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Not My Fault

Gordon Alley
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-book
One of the best books that I have read and will continue to reread! It is a must-read for any parent, pastor, teacher, and leader. It should be mandatory reading for all at an early age. The authors tackle the following five areas in a person's life and shows one how to achieve true success even through very difficult situations. They are as follows:

Love
Work
Children
Relationship
Bad habits and personal issues

One of the most powerful truths learned is that others do not control my success or fail
Rachel
May 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The most awesome book ever! I just finished it and ready to start it all over again! If I can apply just one part of this book it will change my life! I think this should be required reading for everyone! (Like that's possible!) If you are reading this review, I hope you will get this book and read it too! It deserves 10 stars!
Rick
Aug 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Sadly, I am one of the people this book is aimed at. I tend to play the victim of circumstances and find reasons to deflect the blame for things that aren't quite right in my life onto other people, onto God, onto upbringing, onto....what have you.

Drs. Cloud and Townsend pull no punches in showing the reader how to overcome faulty thinking, come to an understanding that there is always a choice available, challenge ourselves to stretch and take smart risks, say no to the things that block our dr
Cherry Coley
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, non-fiction
This is a practical book about taking ownership for your life, your circumstances and identifying excuses and obstacles you might be creating to keep yourself stuck. The book offers valuable insight and good solutions for identifying failures and limiting beliefs and turning them into valuable experience you can use to learn from and apply towards a better future. I really enjoyed this book. I listened to it on audible, but will probably purchase the kindle edition as well to make highlights for ...more
Nancy
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-bcd
I really like Henry Cloud; he always gives good advice and shares interesting information from a Biblical perspective. He comes across like a really good, down-to-earth, nice guy who genuinely cares about you. Recommended!
Rafael Ortega II
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GAME CHANGER!

Highly recommend to anyone looking to make major changes in their life. Just reading this book will bring upon a positive change.
Lena Lee
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this book many years ago. Had things going great in my life until now, found myself many years later in situations beyond my control and this book immediately comes to my mind. Time to read it again to get ownership of my life again.
Aisha
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good book. The unfortunate thing is that many who need this information will not be the ones that pick up this book! Even successful people who take ownership in their lives can find some small area they need work on. I enjoyed it and found it thought provoking - especially in regards to active/passive choices. Do I sit back and ask God to provide certain things or certain paths, or do I just use the brains he gave me and wise counsel and other factors and make the choice. Things to think on! Re ...more
Rachel Krupsky
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book to add to ones library of "reads". It helps an individual feel less pressure that ALL that happens to them in life is not always their fault or caused by them. Not that the book and wisdom in it allows a person to make excuses to behave badly, or harm themselves or others. It just helps one realize some things in life are not of our doing and a lot are cause and effect. Every action has a reaction. And some consequences good or bad occur because of our choices in life, but some oc ...more
Leah
May 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book was great, very honest. It's all about the choices we make in life and how they can hinder us or help us move on into greater things. The authors address relationships, business opportunities, and tons of situations where we make choices that can affect the outcome for good or bad. Parts were hard to read, simply because they hot home. Great book though. Pretty much anything by these two guys is great.
Dale
Aug 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Dale by: no one
This, easy to read book, is quite good and I found it helpful in looking at many things life throws at you. I found it at Half-Price Books in Mesa(they had a stack of them and other Half-Price Stores may have the same) priced for just a few dollars and well worth the price! I would recommend it to anyone and especially useful to those in recovery.
Cary Sawatsky
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book will take the legs out from under any excuse that you are using to keep you from being the person you were designed to be. However, it's much more than a kick in the pants, the author actually shows you what you need to do to correct your bad behaviors and your crutches.
Christian
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book will not only teach you to take control of your life, but has some solid "success principles" as well. I will read this book many times.
Jackie
May 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Excellent book. Must read!
Scott
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A very good read and helpful insights on taking control and ownership of life - decisions - and outcomes... I suggest that anyone seeking to improve his/her standard of living read this book...
Christine
Jul 26, 2017
Oluremi Ladeji
Aug 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Who's Pushing Your Buttons?
  • How to Help People Change: The Four-Step Biblical Process
  • How to Succeed at Being Yourself: Finding the Confidence to Fulfill Your Destiny
  • Managing Your Mind: The Mental Fitness Guide
  • The Velveteen Principles: A Guide to Becoming Real; Hidden Wisdom from a Children's Classic
  • 10 Simple Secrets of the World's Greatest Business Communicators
  • Getting Rich Your Own Way: Achieve All Your Financial Goals Faster Than You Ever Thought Possible
  • Building Mental Muscle: Conditioning Exercises for the Six Intelligence Zones
  • Seven Years to Seven Figures: The Fast-Track Plan to Becoming a Millionaire
  • Little Green Book of Getting Your Way: How to Speak, Write, Present, Persuade, Influence, and Sell Your Point of View to Others
  • Public Speaking and Influencing Men in Business
  • Soul Talk: The Language God Longs for Us to Speak
  • The Time Trap
  • Simpleology: The Simple Science of Getting What You Want
  • You Already Know How to Be Great: A Simple Way to Remove Interference and Unlock Your Greatest Potential
  • Maximum Influence: The 12 Universal Laws of Power Persuasion
  • Christian Counseling: A Comprehensive Guide
  • Conversations with Millionaires: What Millionaires Do to Get Rich, That You Never Learned about in School!
Dr. Cloud has written or co-written twenty-five books, including the two million-seller Boundaries. His most recent books are Boundaries for Leaders and Necessary Endings. He has earned three Gold Medallion awards, and was awarded the distinguished Retailers Choice award for God Will Make A Way.

As president of Cloud-Townsend Resources, Dr. Cloud has produced and conducted hundreds of public semina
More about Henry Cloud

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • How to Talk So Teens Will Listen and Listen So Teens Will Talk
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Periodic Tales: A Cultural History of the Elements, from Arsenic to Zinc
    $12.74 $1.99
“The big lesson here is this: deal with life as it is. Do not get stuck in protesting reality for what it “ought to be.” If you give up the demand that life and the people in it be something other than what they are, you will find creative solutions to every difficult situation. And you will be a more loving person.” 1 likes
“You can be free from whatever situation surrounds you to the degree that you are willing to take responsibility and ownership for it, even if it’s not your fault.” 0 likes