Start by marking “Publishing for Profit: Successful Bottom-Line Management for Book Publishers” as Want to Read:
Publishing for Profit: Successful Bottom-Line Management for Book Publishers

Publishing for Profit: Successful Bottom-Line Management for Book Publishers

Publishing is a rapidly changing business, and this readable and comprehensive reference is right in step—covering operations, financial, and personnel management as well as product development, production, and marketing. Written for the practicing professional just starting out or looking to learn new tricks of the trade, this revised and expanded edition contains updated ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Chicago Review Press (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Publishing for Profit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Publishing for Profit

Douglas Wilson
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wordsmithing
Very good. Quite informative.
J.M.
Chock-full of awesome info.
Adrienna
Jun 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Wow, I have read other publishing books and this one is not only simple read...but has sample of contracts that no other publishing books have displayed. I have seen the copyright page, but also ISBN, contract analysis, etc. Good book if you are thinking of self publishing or becoming an independent entity. I will have to put this on my shelf in near future.

I will have to take notes.
Wes
I make my living working in supply chain and logistics. Businesses can live or die by the supply chain, and it seems to me that books are no different. While the basics of supply chain still apply there are added layers of complexity in the book industry due to technological changes as well as the whole structure of publishing, manufacturing, distributing and selling books in a market dominated my major publishers and sites like Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

If you are looking at self publishing o
Mariana Etchetto
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este título se centra en la parte más numérica y contable de la edición de libros: cómo se contratan derechos, cómo se calculan los costes y cómo se pone precio a los libros, entre otros temas.

Especialmente dirigido a editores, este libro es fundamental para quienes están creando o piensan crear una editorial.

La colección en la que se encuentra este libro del Fondo de Cultura Económica es Libros sobre libros y todos los títulos abordan temas relacionados con cómo se hacen los libros, el sector e
James Aaron Kirkpatrick
A lot of really good information here. Some of the specifics are a little dated because of the year in which the book was published, but still a helpful read.
S.P.
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a great book. Woll is concise and and clear with everything he says and even provides template forms and Excel documents to illustrate his points. If one was setting up a small publishing business, this book tells you what you need to know without being condescending.

I would go further though, because Woll highlights what a publisher should do on the business side, he also demonstrates what any business should be concentrating on - getting the product right, the marketing right, and the
Feliza Casano
Publishing for Profit offers incredible advice for nearly all aspects of running a publishing company. My endgame as a publishing graduate student has always been to either found or work at a small press, so not only did the course help me gain the skills I’d been looking for, but so did Publishing for Profit.

The book is definitely for the business-minded end of publishing and not the editorial side. (There are tons of books on writing and editing that can help with that.) The 2010 edition, the
Michael
Sep 06, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a comprehensive introduction to the publishing business. I read this for a class and found myself skimming more than I normally do (okay, I actually never skim), but this isn't exactly summer beach reading. The author offers plenty of business insights and relevant examples. Being new to the industry, I found myself not being able to entirely wrap my brain around a lot of it. But overall it is definitely a keeper for future reference.
Nina
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this book for a Trade Publishing course. Woll provides a clear, easy-to-read overview of the publishing industry. The information provided is for publishing in the United States, so I suspect that some of his statements might not apply to Canadian publishing. As well, I wonder how much of his information is out of date at the time of my reading, since the book industry has seen huge changes over the past few years.
A.M.
Nov 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to A.M. by: Class reading list for MA Publishing
Shelves: non-fiction
For my class--MA Publishing--this book was absolutely essential, and a life-saver. Yes, we all go into publishing because we love reading, and like books, etc, but it is in the end a business first and foremost, something which no one should forget!
Very practical advice, a clear outline covering everything from sales pitches to production processes to cost saving techniques. Of course, being a student, I don't know how helpful this book would be to professionals.
Anna (lion_reads)
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, nonfiction
A must-read for anyone considering a career in publishing or those interested in starting their own publisher. The industry bible! However, this seriously needs a Canadian edition. There are a lot of specific databases and useful organizations mentioned here that are simply not relevant to Canadian publishing.
Luiza Carreirao
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book gives a comprehensive overview of how a publishing house works, while also giving detailed information and precise step-by-step instructions on managing a publishing business. It's an excellent reference guide.
Kelsey T. Lane
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very practically detailed.

Nuts and bolts roadmap for starting or revamping your traditional and e-format publishing company. More hands on than theoretical, with financial models included.
Drucilla
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: w
4th edition
Everything you ever wanted to know about creating your own publishing company. Enough said.

5th edition
What I said about the previous edition still goes, but the updated bits concerning the digital age are just as good. It's a pretty dense text, but still readable.
Jessica Jeffers
Jan 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bibliophilia
G-g-grad school, what?
Victoria Sandbrook
Feb 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Worth reading. I don't like the bottom line, but it's the reality in this industry...
Georges
Jun 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Very good book for those planning to open a publishing house. Good advice and from practical to strategical this book covers several topics on the matter.
Matt Peters
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whoa... Tons of great info. So much to process and consider. Now if I can implement half of it, I'll rock this publishing thing.

I have to read this again.
Jason
Sep 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Read for school, but a solid breakdown of the publishing industry for those who are looking into writing a book of any kind.
Bonnie Letkeman
Apr 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Informative and easy to read. I found the examples useful and relevant.
Karen
Sep 29, 2008 marked it as to-read
For me class (Publications Management)
Vanessa Eccles
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-writing
There is so much useful information in this book. Grab a highlighter and a notebook; you'll want to take notes! Great resource for small publishers and self-publishers alike.
Nicole
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read for a grad school program (MPS in publishing). Very informative, if a little outdated.
Cat
it was for school. Interesting and written with some humour, so not bad for a text book!
Andrew Chesham
Mar 30, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Editors on Editing: What Writers Need to Know about What Editors Do
  • Book Business: Publishing Past, Present and Future
  • The Copyeditor's Handbook: A Guide for Book Publishing and Corporate Communications, with Exercises and Answer Keys
  • The Business of Books: How International Conglomerates Took Over Publishing and Changed the Way We Read
  • The Subversive Copy Editor: Advice from Chicago (or, How to Negotiate Good Relationships with Your Writers, Your Colleagues, and Yourself)
  • Another Life: A Memoir of Other People
  • Stet: An Editor's Life
  • Merchants of Culture: The Publishing Business in the Twenty-First Century
  • 78 Reasons Why Your Book May Never Be Published and 14 Reasons Why Itjust Might
  • Hickory Daiquiri Dock: Cocktails with a Nursery Rhyme Twist
  • The Fantasy Fiction Formula
  • Dear Genius: The Letters of Ursula Nordstrom
  • The Smithsonian Book of Books
  • The Late Age of Print: Everyday Book Culture from Consumerism to Control
“you are creating a product, so maximize the revenue from your product by selling it simultaneously to as many different venues as possible,” 0 likes