Start by marking “Morning and Evening: Daily Readings” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Morning and Evening: D...

Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Morning and Evening: Daily Readings

4.53  ·  Rating details ·  6,972 Ratings  ·  162 Reviews
Organized by month, this devotional has a morning and evening meditation for every day of the year. Although these devotions are short in length, they are filled with spiritual goodness. In just a few sentences, Spurgeon is able to convey the wisdom of Scripture with eloquence and purpose. These daily messages provide Christians with the spiritual energy they need to begin ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published September 8th 2011 by Christian Classics Ethereal Library (first published 1866)

To ask other readers questions about Morning and Evening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Morning and Evening

Brian Eshleman
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly superb! Spurgeon's language is approachable yet lofty. The daily format is ideal to accomplish a major impact a little at a time on multiple fronts in the reader's life. Spurgeon comes across as insistent on Christ's best for the reader's life but in a jovial, fatherly way that will have the reader looking forward to the next visit.
MC
Jan 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Morning & Evening is perhaps the seminal book Charles Spurgeon's career. Despite how prolific his writings and statements were, this is what folks think of when it comes to a devotional of his. It's one of the best-loved devotional works ever.

Certainly it's easy to see why. I greatly benefitted from the optimism of Spurgeon. None of the negative stuff that so many have at times espoused. Yes, there is suffering, as Spurgeon well knew, but there is also joy.

If it were not for the values disso
Christine Dattilo
Have read through more or less fit at least the last ten years. Always refreshed, challenged and encouraged.

It's been fun to look at some of my highlights and notes from year to year. Every year, I am captivated by new insights I did not see the year before.

Hope to read through for the next ten years!
Cathy
I find myself sad to have finished this book, and wish that there was more of it. I had set it up to pop up on my computer, whenever I logged in, and often, it was the most encouraging "email" of my day. I have found Spurgeon's writings to be so comforting, encouraging, and challenging at times, perfect for this season of my life. He doesn't shy away from the tough aspects of life, but he doesn't delve into the technical details of a verse as many of today's pastors do. He compares them to heart ...more
Kevin
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this version for my wife since english is her second language. Spurgeon's original words are obviously to be preferred over "updated" versions when possible, but this was most readable for her. We haven't actually read the entire year of devotions, but we've read a lot of them. Spurgeon's words are encouraging and speak powerfully into the life of the believer. He lived up to the title "Prince of Preacher", and that shines through in his writing! Though I must admit, his exegesis of the ...more
Michael Duncan
Nov 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Morning and Evening is a fantastic devotional for the heart of every believer. I strongly recommend it to anyone who wants to begin and end their day with spiritual encouragement and instruction. Spurgeon, the "prince of preachers" delivers his depth and love for Christ.

Rev. Michael Duncan, Author
Shadows: Book of Aleth, Part One
Shadows Book of Aleth, Part One by Michael Duncan
Marcus
Dec 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This devotional offers short but powerful insights into the Word of God. Especially during those times when it seems like my own connection with the Word is running dry, this has really helped to pick me up and bring me to a place of repentance and restoration to God's grace and the joy of salvation.
Mike Jorgensen
Some days are brilliant, some leave me scratching my head, most are just ok. Never been a devotional guy but this is as good as anything I've found.
Jan 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Through college I read one of these most mornings and some evenings. It really helped keep me focused on what really matters in life. Well written and thought-provoking.
Jestine Maribel
Keep it near, add it to your daily reading.

Keep it near, add it to your daily reading. It's part of my devotionals.
This is full of gems!!! You will be enriched.
Dennis Thurman
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic. The updated language only enhances understanding but doesn't diminish Spurgeon's masterful phrasing.
Nan
Nov 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who's interested in growing deeper in their faith
This is an excellent devotional that has many nuggets of wisdom inside. It will encourage your heart daily!
Nathan
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I haven't read even close to all 365 devotions, but this is a book I will read year after year. Hands down the best devotional I have read. The amount of times I've opened up to one of the readings and it has been exactly what I've needed. I would go as far as saying if I could have only one book and the Bible, it would be Spurgeon's Morning and Evening.
Linda
Charles Haddon Spurgeon was an English preacher who lived from 1834-1892 and is known for his bold sermons and writings. At our church, we almost think of Spurgeon as an honorary elder because our pastors and teachers value and draw from his works so much. I've had the intention of reading a major work by Spurgeon for years and finally decided this year to go through his Morning and Evening devotionals, and I am finding it a tremendous blessing.

This volume is a collection of short devotionals -
Fylvia Kline
This is an edited version of Spurgeon’s devotions from the 1800′s. A classic loved by scholars and laymen, it’s one of those devotions that can be used over and over again. And how you use it depends on how much personal devotion time you have carved out of the day for yourself.

To get the full Spurgeon effect, your dose for the day would be reading a page-long devotion in the morning, another one in the evening, memorizing one Bible text, and reading a significant portion of the Bible (towards t
Laurel Hicks
This book isn't for everybody, but if you've read quite a bit of the Bible and like beautiful language and thoughts, you might give it a try. Here is the morning reading for December 29 as a sample:

“Hitherto hath the Lord helped us.”
1 Samuel 7:12

The word “hitherto” seems like a hand pointing in the direction of the past. Twenty years or seventy, and yet, “hitherto the Lord hath helped!” Through poverty, through wealth, through sickness, through health, at home, abroad, on the land, on the sea, i
Ts
Nov 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don’t know how you spend your mornings and evenings, but I’m adding Charles Spurgeon to my daily Bible reading and Oswald Chambers morsel.

David Platt’s book, “Radical,” gives several challenges at the end. One of those challenges is to read the Bible through in the coming year. While I have read the Bible through several times, I loved the idea of reading it through this year with the expectancy that God will reveal new things.

I recently received Charles Spurgeon’s devotional book, “Mornings a
Polly
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who likes old things
Shelves: faith, prayer-books
This book is like time travel with a really great Doctor for the soul. I think this old book I have, much older looking than the 1960 copywriter date came from a Library sale-- a bit of Avalon on earth for book lovers. It has old paper, old font, old words, even the verses are in put in Roman numerals. This book truly saved my life when I really needed it. I felt like I had a friend to speak into my life twice a day. Someone whose vague scripture references I usually got because I'm such a Bibl ...more
June
This devotion has been thought-provoking read. I'm still amazed that one verse can produce such deep thoughts, encouragements and rebukes. While I may not agree with everything written, I enjoyed the glimpse of a revered Christian father. I see his heart for the lost, especially those who attended church often, his patience and encouragement for the fearful, the need to live holy and his call to be a witness for Christ.

I would definitely revisit this devotion. Even though it was written almost
Glenn Mac Donald
I read this book, mine was a hardcopy, as a daily devotional quite a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. For a man who lived and preached almost 150 years ago, it is amazing how relevant his daily thoughts can be on the application of Jesus Christ and our faith to our current lives that buzz and flit around at one hundred times the speed of Spurgeon's world. I think that's the neatest thing about Christianity; when it is preached properly, the words (like the scriptures themselves) become t ...more
John
Dec 31, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The audio version of Morning and Evening, produced by Hovel Audio, is my first real encounter with this work. Many of the readings were great, while others were not. Many of the readings are based on Scripture that seemed very out of context--where Spurgeon seems to have taken his message to the text, rather than from the text.

The audio version is very high quality, though there were strange lapses where the voice changed to a different pitch or cadence, but it never lasted long, and was rare.
Ian Rees
It seems churlish to give the great man only three stars. I agree heartily with his understanding of the truth and his expositions are second to none, but this is quite hard to read. His style is florid and poetic in the extreme and sometimes seems to make the going heavier than needed. It feels like a style of speaking from a bygone era (which it is, of course). The content itself isn't dated, but I found it more of a struggle than I had expected.
Cindy
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great devotional that challenges you and helps you grow in your walk with the Lord. The only thing that I did not like about these devotionals is that Spurgeon believes Song of Solomon is just a picture of Christ and the church and that it is not about the relationship between a man and a wife. There are multiple devotionals where he spiritualizes that book when he should not. Other than that it was a wonderful devotional!
Shannon Cooper
I did enjoy this book of daily devotions by Spurgeon, but after reading this I find reading an entire sermon more helpful than little tidbits. Part of the problem could be that I read Morning and Evening like a regular book, rather than day by day. If you're able to discipline yourself in reading it like a devotional than I would suggest getting this book, otherwise I would recommend getting the collection of Spurgeon sermons.
Shannon
I read through to July and finally realized I was forcing myself through it and none of it was sinking in. Spurgeon has some good insights, but his writing is too flowery for my taste, and it generally appeals to the emotions rather than the intellect. (In other words, the book wasn't terrible; it just wasn't for me.)
Keir
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. Simply one of the best devotional collections available. Has been a valuable part of devotions through various times my life. The 'Prince of Preachers' extols the excellence, sovereignty, and love of the Prince of Peace and Lord of Lords in daily excerpts from the Word of God. Spurgeon does well to bring the gospel to bear in nearly every devotion.
Angelo Terminel
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not your read straight through kind of book. There's two one page devotional writings for each day of the year, one for the morning, another for the evening—hence the name. I pick this book up every now and again and jump to the day's devos.

Spurgeon is more than a preacher, the man is a poet.
Kristi
Mar 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
my current daily devotional

old-fashioned in a good way -- Christ-centered, passionate about Jesus, focused on how Jesus fulfills what may seem to be minor passages of Scripture. It encourages gratitude and devotion to Jesus.

Spurgeon is a beautiful writer, too -- poetic language and imagery.
Mason
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A refreshing devotional for each of the times that I would wake and before I would go to sleep. Spurgeon always has a way of bringing encouragement and conviction by work of the Spirit each and every day and it really helped me in growing this past year. May it continue to be a blessing to others throughout the generations.
Tommy
Aug 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This challenging devotional book gives Spurgeon's reaction to verses. His practical application of biblical principles to a believer's daily walk encourages and builds faith in Jesus, THE Saviour and his desire to be involved in our lives. I'm still reading this...every morning and evening!
Proverbs 27:17: 2018 Group Devotional 1 4 Dec 30, 2017 08:54PM
  • The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions
  • The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment
  • Holiness
  • The Sovereignty of God
  • ESV Study Bible
  • The Mortification of Sin
  • Streams in the Desert
  • Westminster Confession Of Faith w/ Catechisms (1646-7) (and the Larger and Shorter Catechisms, Directories for Public and Private Worship, Form of Presbyterial Church Government, the Sum of Saving Knowledge)
  • Chosen By God: Know God's Perfect Plan for His Glory and His Children
  • The Religious Affections
  • Spiritual Depression: Its Causes and Cure
  • God's Passion for His Glory: Living the Vision of Jonathan Edwards (with the Complete Text of the End for Which God Created the World)
  • Evangelism & the Sovereignty of God
  • The Reformed Pastor
  • Institutes of the Christian Religion, 2 Vols
  • The Bruised Reed
  • The Forgotten Spurgeon
  • Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible
Charles Haddon Spurgeon (1834-92) was England's best-known preacher for most of the second half of the nineteenth century. In 1854, just four years after his conversion, Spurgeon, then only 20, became pastor of London's famed New Park Street Church (formerly pastored by the famous Baptist theologian John Gill). The congregation quickly outgrew their building, moved to Exeter Hall, then to Surrey M ...more
More about Charles Haddon Spurgeon

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • Meet Me in the Bathroom: Rebirth and Rock and Roll in New York City 2001-2011
    $12.99 $2.99
  • What We Talk About When We Talk About God: A
    $11.49 $2.99
“Nothing teaches us about the preciousness of the Creator as much as when we learn the emptiness of everything else.” 291 likes
“If you will tell me when God permits a Christian to lay aside his armour, I will tell you when Satan has left off temptation. Like the old knights in war time, we must sleep with helmet and breastplate buckled on, for the arch-deceiver will seize our first unguarded hour to make us his prey. The Lord keep us watchful in all seasons, and give us a final escape from the jaw of the lion and the paw of the bear.” 32 likes