Jump to ratings and reviews

Animated Realism: A Behind the Scenes Look at the Animation Tools and Techniques of Award Winning Films

With the development and accessibility of animation tools and techniques, filmmakers are blurring the boundaries between documentary filmmaking and animation. The intimacy, imperfection and charm of the animated form is providing live-action and animation directors with unique ways to tell stories, humanize events and convey information not easily adapted for live-action media. Animated Realism presents animation techniques as they apply to the documentary genre with an inspirational behind-the-scenes look at award-winning animated documentaries. Animators and documentary filmmakers alike will learn how to develop a visual style with animation, translate a graphic novel into a documentary and use 3D animation as a storytelling tool, all in the context of creating animated documentaries.

With insight and inspiration, Animated Realism includes interviews from industry luminaries like John Canemaker, Oscar Winning Director of The Moon and the Son, Yoni Goodman, Animation Director of Oscar Nominated Waltz with Bashir and Chris Landreth, Oscan Winning creator of Ryan. Packed with beautiful, instructive illustrations and previously unpublished material (including storyboards, photos and hand-drawn sketches) and interspersed with interviews - this is an exceptional source of inspiration and knowledge for animators, students and fans alike. With a companion website featuring animated shorts from leading animated documentaries, animators, students and documentary filmmakers will be able to analyze and apply Oscar-winning animation techniques to their own films.

222 pages, Paperback

First published December 16, 2011

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 2 of 2 reviews
271 reviews3 followers
March 12, 2012
If you are expecting to learn how to do animation, this is not the book for you. This is a superb book on why we should use animation on documentary film-making. The author brings to the book all her experience and through interviews with some masters on the subject, she was able to compose a very easy reading and enjoyable learning tool. It gives you so many ideas and sparkles the desire of starting a new project right after finishing reading the book.
She interviews Yoni Goodman and talks about "Finding Pleasure in the Imperfection. Then comes Bob Sabiston, on "The Halfway Point to Reality". Next we have John Canemaker, talking about "Personal Documentaries". Fourth is Marie-Josée Saint-Pierre, a French-Canada's Rising Star, followed by Dennis Tupicoff, that talks about "Documentary Filmmaking with an Animator's Sensibility". Chris Landreth is the next one and his theme is "Making Ordinary Human Experience Extraordinary". And the last interview is with Paul Fierlinger, "The Iconoclastic Animator".

I recommend this book to all those who have a passion for film-making and would enjoy playing with animation but are afraid to try. You might get a lot of incentive and ideas from reading this book.
This book was written by Judith Kriger and was published by Focal Press in December 2011. Amazon.com was kind enough to provide this book for me through their Vine Program for reviewing and I was not request to provide a positive review. Opinions expressed here are my own.
Profile Image for Dani Peloquin.
165 reviews13 followers
May 12, 2012
I LOVE graphic novels, comics, and animated features. My favorite part of the Oscars is the award for best animated short. When I saw that this book was coming on the market, I knew that I had to get a copy! Some of my favorite artists are included in this book and with the promise of in-depth interviews...I thought it was a complete win!

Unfortunately, I was greatly disappointed. Even from the very beginning of the book, the preface in fact, it appears that the author is a bit confused as to the purpose of the book. Therefore, making the readers equally confused. At first glance, it appears that it's going to be a history of animated realism with supporting evidence from interviews with professionals in the field. However, what I found was a mish-mash of interviews, theories, how-tos, and other odds and ends. Some of the interviews were interesting but overall they were very hit or miss. While I was disappointed and didn't find much, I am sure this book has an audience...it's just not myself.

www.iamliteraryaddicted.blogspot.com
Displaying 1 - 2 of 2 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.