Start by marking “Carfree Cities” as Want to Read:
Carfree Cities

Carfree Cities

4.5  ·  Rating details ·  56 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
In this volume filled with historical and contemporary references to guiding historic precedents and ideological errors of 20th-century planning, the author sets up the carfree city as the cornerstone of sustainable development. This book outlines a structure carefully designed to maximize the quality of life for people and communities worldwide. Also available in cloth, 9 ...more
Published November 1st 2002 by International Books (first published September 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Carfree Cities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carfree Cities

James B
Apr 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
It's sort of a dream- but what a beautiful dream.
It's odd to think that just a short time ago and for centuries and centuries ALL cities were carfree!
Wow, how much we've digressed!
The picture that he paints is quite amazing! Maybe far fetched, but it would be a beautiful place in which to live.
Hans Van
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Medieval urban planners used "utopian" schemes to draw new schemes for cities. J.H. Crawford gives an excellent and sometimes rediculously obvious comparison between modern-day car-oriented urban sprawl-like cities (the example used is L.A.) and old medieval cities (Venice, Italy). In doing so he points out the hopelessness of sprawl and the great charmes of classical ("walkable") urban form. Subsequently Crawford uses the "utopian" format to create a city of one million, based on a walkable dis ...more
Jeff Butts
Nov 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really great theoretical book on how we can design cities and neighborhoods to function without cars. This book has totally inspired me and I want to move to Amsterdam to get in touch with him and tap into the carfree network. I'm also thinking about going to grad school for city planning. This book is best for someone who is into living without cars and also into design. If you like romance novels, only, this book is not for you. If you like new ideas, it is.

Awesome book that I'll probably rea
Glenn
Feb 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Ever want to build a city with NO cars? Ever start thinking about how you would even accomplish such a thing, only to stop because you realize there is A LOT to it? Crawford deals with all of it, providing research to back up his opinions, but also entertaining opposing ideas, explaining how many aren't bad, but why he chose what he did anyway. Very cool book.
Wil
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Utopian. Quite impractical given our current cultural obsessions, but I would live in and put money towards this sort of urban development, unquestionably.
anthony
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Along with Christopher Alexander, a great tool for liberating you imagination from it's current constraints.
Jukka
May 20, 2010 added it
Carfree Cities - J.H. Crawford

This is quite good and wide ranging. It helped me in dropping my car too.
Researchking