Start by marking “Monkey Shines” as Want to Read:
Monkey Shines

Monkey Shines

While cramming for finals, wheelchair-bound quadriplegic Allan Mann takes some pills intended to increase the learning ability of his primate companion, and soon the man and his monkey begin having overlapping dreams.
Published August 10th 1989 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published March 24th 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Monkey Shines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monkey Shines

Char
I read this with my Shelfari reading group and I appreciated this old school 80's horror story.

An athletic super star suddenly becomes paralyzed from the neck down and his life is forever changed. It is changed once again when he is provided with a helper monkey, which he trains to help him out in daily life. From there the story becomes a bit warped and a lot more interesting.

I loved the character development and the pacing. (I am a fan of slow burning stories, so the pacing might not be fast
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
I watched this movie quite a bit growing up, so in a way this hampered my enjoyment of the book, while in other ways it enhanced it. Stayed pretty faithful to the flick George Romero would later adapt for TV time. The story stands as a uniquely twisted piece delving into the scientific link of memory; here Allan is a paralyzed man who has become dependent on a small primate who has been injected with a powerful drug. Together taking the pills they start to live through each other, ultimately cre ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Quite a strange book; it's also been adapted into a film though the two differ greatly. Monkey Shines shows readers the chaos that ensues when a wheelchair-bound young man consumes psychotropic, mind-enhancing drugs meant to be administered solely to his helper monkey. The two share a telepathic, otherworldly connection until things go horribly wrong.

This book was well-written, disturbing and gripping, and definitely worth reading if you're a fan of horrors or thrillers.
Kimberly
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to come.
Janie Johnson
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine that you are an athletic star and a horrific accident takes all that away from you. You are now faced with being a Quadraplegic. Your life has beelined south and you no longer have the will to live. What's worse? You dont even have the ability to take your own life. You also come to discover that your doctor botched your surgery. Your girlfriend leaves you cause of pressure and what worse than that? She runs off with your quack of a doctor.

Then a friend comes along quite in the knick of
Data
Frightening. What if the hateful thoughts you have weren't tempered by a sense of right and wrong? This book explores the depths of the brain, and what it means to be human. The scary part is that this storyline seems very plausible. Has it already happened?
Mary
Mar 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who hates monkeys.
Must REALLY hate monkeys!!
Bryan Moyer
This is a kind of contradictory review. The story was actually great. It was a case of what happens when man plays god. The characters were well written, and Ella's progression from monkey to science experiment out of control was enjoyable. The big problem I had was all of the medical terminology. There were times it was so prevalent that it knocked me out of the narrative. It would have been a much better novel without having the feeling that you needed to go to medical school before reading it ...more
Jessi
May 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed this book. I need to watch the horror film of the same name, but I believed they did vary somewhat. It was a fun read, but slightly predictable. Some parts were ambiguous as if the writer was not sure which route to take or chickened out in a few spots. Perhaps this was for the reader to make up their own mind? It was a quick read and worth a shot.
Clint
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great story! A real page-turner. I had seen the movie long ago. The book is probably better. It’s interesting at first, then becomes creepy, then downright terrifying. It’s a slow burn but is very well written. Recommended!
Kinksrock
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-done thriller about the relationship between a quadriplegic and his service monkey and how it goes bad, leading to disaster for anyone the monkey perceives as a threat. The novel has a slow build-up, but there's just enough science and theories about animal behavior, combined with thrills as the connection between the man and animal is revealed.
Leah
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It was a page turner and before I knew it, I was at the last three chapters. I enjoyed it and it's twisted macabre plot, especially with the science involved. And the ending definitely left me wanting more....
Jonathan Lanza
Dec 17, 2011
Joseph Canistro
Jun 24, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads database.

Born in June, 1945.