Start by marking “Invisible” as Want to Read:
Invisible

Read Book

Invisible

Lola’s not pretty. Lola’s not popular. Lola wishes she could disappear … and then one day she does just that...

Published September 30th 2011 by Solstice Publishing (first published September 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Invisible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invisible

Start your review of Invisible
Suki Michelle
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review is posted at Word! from Cyber-Chicago for the Invisible Blog Tour!

The story opens with line, “Lola, get your suit on and help supervise the pool.” This simple instruction from Lola’s fellow camp counselor sets in motion a series of events that are both wondrous and heartbreaking.

Lola Savullo, overweight and “freakishly tall” has never been seen in a bathing suit in her three summers working at Inglewood Day Camp. She has no choice. She wraps a towel around her thick waist and braces
Michelle Fayard
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Freakishly tall and overweight, Lola Savullo doesn’t fit in at home or at school. Her parents are “middle-aged teenagers,” and her older sister is the queen of snark. Lola is a senior who’s never been on a date, she and her best friend, Charlie, have been labeled lesbos. Now the cute boy she thought might—just might—possibly like her in return suddenly is hanging with the cool and cruel crowd.

But Lola has more than just Charlie’s friendship; she has her Grandmother Rose. She also has a scary yet
Shelby
Nov 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness...I just read this book in one afternoon!!!! I seriously couldn't put it down. Who hasn't wanted to disappear at one point in there life? This was an incredible story of finding peace with who you are..inside and out. I loved Lola because she was such a real character, not like most books you read where the women seem to be gorgeous all the time. Lola is an average girl with self esteem issues. In this story she learns that her new ability makes her special. With the help of her ...more
Tina Hayes
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tnbw, kindle, ya
"Invisible" by Jeanne Bannon is a YA novel that people of all ages can read and easily relate to. It tackles the problem of bullying and learning to love yourself, told from the prospective of a 17-year-old highschool student.

Lola just wants to get through the last couple months of highschool with her BFF Charlie, and to stay off the radar of bullies who taunt her about her weight, and about her best friend being a lesbian. Something strange begins to happen after these episodes when Lola
ILyk Tourid
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
4 stars

The writing flows smoothly. Lola discovers she can actually become invisible. The pacing is good –from discovering the power and controlling it and coping with death (a good catalyst for her change).

I was waiting for a bit climax where Lola would confront Nino the bully but that wasn’t about to happen. What I really liked in the book is Lola’s change of heart. She comes as selfish, introverted self in the beginning and it was nice to see her change and offer help to her mother (I guess a
Courtney Vail
Sep 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 STARS

Normally I'm not a big fan of characters with low self-esteem, but Lola is so tenderly and vividly created and stands out as an outsider EVERYWHERE that it's easy to identify with her misery. She is ruthlessly bullied and even physically attacked at school and she can't even escape torment when she goes home because it meets her there too. Her sister is a constant beast and her mom is disapproving, tacky and pushy. I can't imagine that existence. I'm amazed she doesn't go off the edge.
Patricia Lynne
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I found Invisible to be a fun and enjoyable read. The teenage characters were realistic, often reminding me of my high school days. The author captured the intense emotions that defines a teenager's years. Of course, the only difference is most teenagers can't vanish.

From the interactions with her grandma, to feeling like she had nothing in common with her parents, to enduring bullies, Lola's emotions were raw and deep and spot on for a girl like her. I loved the way she grew and opened up as
Molly Vercillo
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book as part of a GoodReads giveaway and I am beyond grateful that I did.
To say that I enjoyed this book would be a vast understatement. From the first page, to the last, I did not want to put it down. I couldn't turn the pages fast enough, yet on the other hand never wanted the pages to end. I wish this book had been around 15 years ago when I was in high-school. I related to the main character, Lola, in a way I didn't think it was possible to relate to a fictional
Zara Lethallan
Apr 25, 2016 rated it liked it
I usually never read a book outside of the romance genre. Mainly because I love a good love story. I mean who doesn't. But sometimes you just need to open up to new ideas and have an adventure.

To say I didn't know what to expect from this book would be a understatement, I didn't realize it would bring up my own past with bullies. Most of us have been there, been to that place where you are picked on and torn down. It got to that point where you wished you could just disappear.

When you are being
Sheila
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for teens. The voice and style are perfect for the target audience. As an adult, I enjoyed the story of an overweight girl who learns to love herself, and I was touched by how she came to grips with a totally understandable need for revenge. The story moves along at a good pace, the secondary characters are interesting and believable. The touches of humour were a lot of fun. Highly recommended.
Trixy Lemell
Jan 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books
Quick and easy read about a bullied teen who learns that she has inherited her grandmothers power of invisibility and uses the power to teach her bullies a lesson and come to terms with loving herself.

The start of this book is rough. Characters are stereotypes and whinny. It would have been better if I didn't have to hear a repeat of the weight issue that goes through the entire book and seems to never let up. I got it...she's a "hippo". The first chapter's internal thought followed by the kids
Kendra Morgan
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Invisible is one of the best books I’ve read this year! The reality of high school with a twist and a happy ending. Rising above the bullies and being who you are and the best person you can be is not the best ‘revenge’. It brings a peace, the kind only God can provide, and makes revenge look like the horrible act it really is.
Dschaper54
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Definitely a book all young people should read. Well done. The invisibility worked beautifully into how we can all feel invisible at times. I loved this book. You’ve got to read it.
Julie G
Feb 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I 'met' Jeanne Bannon on Book Blogs, oddly enough, on the day that she was announcing a 1-day giveaway of her book. Reading the synopsis, I just had to grab a copy.

Seriously? How often do you get to read about a girl who can disappear? Something I would have loved to be able to do at her age.

Written in first-person, from Lola's perspective, Ms. Bannon seems to understand what it feels like to not fit in - with one's peers and even one's own family. She paints a picture of unhappiness and
Ilana
May 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Title: Invisible
Author: Jeanne Bannon
Publish Year: 2/20/16
Length: 180 pages

Overview

For seventeen-year-old Lola Savullo, life is a struggle. Born to funky parents who are more in than she could ever be, Lola’s dream of becoming a writer makes her an outsider even in her own home. Bullied and despised, Lola still has the support of her best pal Charlie and Grandma Rose.

Not only is she
Brenda
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh how I loved this book! I can easily say this one of my favorite young adult books this year. The author portrays the characters in a very realistic manner, making this a story that will easily resonate with anyone who has ever been a victim of bullying or self esteem issues!

Lola Savullo's life has always been a struggle. She is in her senior year in high school and because of her weight and size she has always been bullied. Not only is she bullied at school, but she doesn't really see eye to
books are love
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Endearing...Real....amazing...words to describe this book. The character who feels invisible and can become invisible is Lola. Lola is described like any real teenager...she isn’t what she thinks is pretty except she is especially to Jon. She feels awkward, confused and she is bullied. This is her story...How she is able to become as invisible as she feels in life. How she deals with her feelings of confusion and learns to have more confidence in herself and see herself differently and like it. ...more
Jamie (LadyJai) Dement
Apr 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: teenagers who are on the brunt end of a bully, or teenage girls not happy with who they are
I won an e-copy of this book via the author's blog: http://beyondwordsblog.blogspot.com/
I am a slow reader, as I like to enjoy the book. But I also am doing many other things, like writing my own. So, it took me a little while to finish this book. But what I'd like to say is, I DID finish. Unlike the last three books I've attempted to read, this story was engaging. It was easy to read. Grammar was excellent, and the plot was solid. I did enjoy this book. We all love "the underdog wins" kind of
Michelle
Nov 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Invisible is a good read. I enjoyed it a lot. Lola is a likeable enough character who goes through some not so ordinary changes. She can turn invisible. That's pretty cool! Think about all the stuff you could get away with if you could turn invisible. I liked that Lola's invisibility didn't come easy to her. I liked that she had to work and practice a ton to perfect it. This book reminded me a little of Fade by Robert Cormier. But a modern day, high school drama Fade from a girls perspective.

K.C. Sprayberry
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lola Savullo is heavy, hates wearing a swimsuit. There's a dysfunctional family, caught up in their own narcissistic existences, except for Grandma Rose, who seems to understand Lola and her unusual way of dealing with the incessant bullying by most other teens in her school.
Lola's BFF calls the ability a superpower. Lola thinks differently, it's an escape, a way of avoiding the hurtful words and painful punches and slaps – both physical and verbal. What can she do? Lola disappears when she's
Sandra
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author Jeanne Bannon tells a convincing story about Lola, a tall and overweight teenager who is bullied in school—a timely subject in today’s world. As an awkward teen, Lola experiences embarrassment, frustration, and isolation and wishes she could disappear. When she does, it presents more problems. How will she handle this newfound power?

Lola’s disagreements with wacky family members, her close friendship with schoolmate Charlie, a strong connection to her grandmother, and her first date make
Linda Ulleseit
Oct 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a simple yet well-written story of Lola, a tall fat teenager. She suffers in silence until she discovers the power to turn herself invisible. Anyone who has ever been the center of unwanted attention will delight in Lola's new ability. Now she is torn. Part of her wants to use her power for revenge, but part of her knows it's wrong. Her best friend and the boy who has just begun to notice her are not much help. What would you do in this situation? The author has created strong, ...more
Diana Hockley
Sep 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was totally engaged in this outstanding novel about growing up. If you have ever been bullied and felt powerless - and at some time I am sure most people have - you will relate to this story.

Lola, overweight and very tall, is targeted by four bullies at her school. Unable to cope with this, her mind finds a way to become invisible and through this she manages to become an adult.

I highly recommend this outstanding novel and hope the author continues to produce novels to this high standard.
Eamonn Harrigan
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Invisible - Jeanne Bannon

This is a coming of age tale with a wonderful difference. The author has created a protagonist who will linger long in the memory. Through a succinct use of balanced language and the ability to pinpoint the emotional challenges of teen years Ms Bannon has crafted a beautiful and enlightening story. I would highly recommend this to both fans of YA and indeed anyone who likes a good read. The style of writing and command of story telling make this book a true page turner.
Emmy Swain
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Jeanne captured just about every emotion in this great book for teens. From sad to happy, fearful to fearless, Lola turns revenge into self worth.

I laughed, cried and was surprised at the super power that young Lola possessed.

Most all of us have colorful, sometimes clashing characters in our lives. Jeanne managed to weave them into the story, with a happy ending for all.

I highly recommend this book for teenagers, teachers and guidance counselors.

~ Emmy
Carol Kilgore
Sep 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who hasn't wished to be invisible at some point in their lives? When it happens to Lola, the reader is immediately drawn into her story. A great read for teens and parents about teenage bullying and how one girl overcomes it. INVISIBLE is fast-paced and written with an engaging voice. Bannon's use of first person present tense is a good choice for this tale of Lola and her family. Go, Lola - you rock!
Michaela Madison
Nov 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While reading this book, I found myself running late for everything because I didn’t want to put it down. I very much enjoyed it, especially the imagery Ms. Bannon used to describe Lola's feelings as she struggles with everyday teenage life and then later with her new talent. I would definitely recommend Invisible for anyone who has ever wanted to fade into the background.
Talli Roland
Oct 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written in a fresh and fun voice, 'Invisible' by Jeanne Bannon tells the story of overweight misfit Lola, who has the uncanny ability to become invisible at any given moment. The story moves along at a swift pace, and I enjoyed watching Lola learn to accept herself -- and deal with the temptation of revenge. A very enjoyable read.
Missy
Feb 12, 2012 rated it liked it
I think tgat there is a point in all of our lives where we wish we were invisible. The author did a great job of making me feel what Lola was feeling. Also the relationship between her and her Grandmother brought me back to my Grandmother. The vanishing was just a great twist to add to the story. With all if the bullying today it isn't hard to imagine how Lola was feeling. Great story.
Susan Stec
Shelves: favorites
Invisible was such an enjoyable read. Well thought out characters that peak interest and emotions—Lola is someone you fall in love with from the first page. I cried, laughed, and rooted for her the whole way. Highly recommend for all ages. Bannon plants a different seed for the way young adults might view bullying.
« previous 1 3 next »
Announce/Brag/Sho...: Author spotlight 1 7 Oct 02, 2011 04:30PM

• Unreality
  • Sanctuary (Shifter Chronicles, #1)
  • Becoming: The Balance Bringer
Jeanne Bannon is a USA Today bestselling author. She has worked in the publishing industry for over twenty-five years, first as a freelance journalist, then as an in-house editor for LexisNexis Canada. She currently works as a freelance editor and writer.