Start by marking “Batman: Gotham Shall Be Judged” as Want to Read:
Batman: Gotham Shall Be Judged

Batman: Gotham Shall Be Judged

(Batman)

3.32  ·  Rating details ·  260 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Azrael brings together his Angels of Death and invades Gotham City. It's up to three members of the Batman family--Dick Grayson, Tim Drake and Selina Kyle--to prove to the vengeful group that Gotham is worth saving. But their own personal pasts might not make them the examples of purity and virtue needed to save the city.

Collecting: AZRAEL #14-18, BATMAN #708 and 709, RED
Published April 10th 2012 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

Jayson
(C+) 64% | Almost Satisfactory
Notes: A goulash of grim medieval imagery and smug, bumper-sticker religiosity, it commits the cardinal sin of being blah.
Sam Quixote
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
I don’t think I’ve ever read an Azrael book before - but then I never come across them either! And this is why: Azrael sucks. This version of the character (the previous one being the laughably ‘90s Jean-Paul Valley from Knightfall) is Grant Morrison’s Michael Lane, a tortured ex-cop who gets all crazy religious for some reason, dresses up like a medieval Crusader and, like too many real-life Christians, behaves like a judgmental twat. Azrael is going to vaguely “judge” Gotham - which apparently ...more
Anne
Jul 12, 2012 rated it liked it
I didn't know much about Azrael before reading this, so I didn't know what to expect.
He seems ok, but I won't be actively seeking out any other stories with him in it. He's sort of like a creepy supernatural Catholicish kind of character. No offence to Catholics, I don't personally find you guys creepy or anything. You all seem normal enough.
I'm just digging myself further and further in the hole, aren't I?

Anyway. Azrael gets tricked into doing some bad stuff, and Batman (Grayson), Catwoman, and
El Neo
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
First off, I would like to thank DC Entertainment and Good Reads for sending me a free copy. The ironic thing is I was just about to buy this at the comic store. I got a graphic novel that I really didn't enjoy. I wish I got this one instead & was pleasantly surprised when I received this in a package! I enjoyed this story. One of the element of the story I enjoyed was seeing two Batmen working side-by-side. I like the idea of Dick Grayson being the Batman of Gotham. He provided a refreshing ...more
William Thomas
Mar 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Azrael seemed to me like a completely unnecessary addition to the Batman family. I grudgingly accepted him, though, as he seemed to bring a new form of antagonism to the books under some damn good writers like Denny O'Neil. When Jean-Paul Valley (seemingly) died, I thought we could put the whole mess to rest at last. But, just like the mantle of the Bat, the Suit of Sorrows can be passed on to another.

David Hine has failed to impress me in every single issue he's written up until now. In this vo
Kevin
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Kind of a weird story- this is the first time I've encountered Michael Lane's Azrael. I don't understand why Ra's al Ghul is the puppetmaster here- he actually seems too earnest for most of the story. Fireball is also a character that I think is somewhat poorly handled. Once the trials get going, it's not bad. Crusader is very ugly and I didn't like looking at him.
Jbainnz
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I never thought I'd enjoy this as much as I did. I was pleasantly surprised in fact!

I haven't read that much of things with Azrael, apart from Knightall, but his character always seemed interesting. Of course this is a different Azrael, but it still has the same religious themes. I'm guessing that this book ties up the end of the Azrael series that was going on at the time. And I thought it was a wry cool way to tie it all off with a bang. It definitely left me wanting to get my hands on the boo
Anchorpete
Feb 08, 2014 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this time period for the Batman Family- There were two Batmen running around, Good Ol' Bruce and Dick Grayson. Bruce was travelling around the globe, recruiting Batman type vigilantes for Batman Incorporated and Ra's Al Ghul was doing some crazy stuff within Gotham.
This book certainly has all of those aspects to it. Unfortunately, it has an overdose of religious references. I really do not enjoy when they try to connect ideas from the Christian Bible into Super hero stories. It
Aaron
Jun 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Very surprised to find a book I mostly enjoyed by David Hine. Unfortunately, the issues of Azrael between Angel In The Dark and this volume are not collected anywhere, and I didn't read the singles, so a lot of the current state of Azrael's psyche was a mystery to me. I find it very strange that DC didn't bother to put out a 2nd volume of Azrael, as that would allow the entire series to be collected.

Anyway, this story does a solid job of balancing superheroics with the crises of faith various ch
Cale
Mar 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Comics rarely touch on theological issues, which is interesting considering how often they deal with supernatural creatures. Azrael especially is an instrument of divine vengeance, and this collection of two 3-issue arcs and a prelude, manage to dance around the implications. They focus on faith and sin, but not by really delving into the issues beyond references and platitudes. It starts to set up a conflict in religion, then takes an easy out of the situation, that doesn't really follow from t ...more
Mouse
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
So what was Bruce Wayne-Batman doing during this whole thing? It wasn't made clear other than, "You need to handle this, Dick!"
So as Gotham is being destroyed by religious fanatics Bruce is on vacation??? I find that hard to swallow especially knowing him to be the micro manager he is!
This story is really long winded and just drags and drags and while it's an interesting premise it just doesn't hold up that well. It doesn't really feel like a Batman story and Azrael was always a weird character
Alice Urchin
Jun 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Entertaining enough and the art was cool, but I'm not a huge fan of the Azrael plot. The whole Christian Crusader Warrior for God shit gets stale quickly for me and always seems pretty improbable. For some reason, I have no problem suspending my disbelief when Poison Ivy is making a humanoid plant army but anything involving a Lazarus Pit always stinks of deus ex machina to me. I liked that Selina, Dick, and Tim got to play a larger role in this comic while Bruce just kind of hung out in the bac ...more
Alex Sarll
The problem with R'as al Ghul, as a character, is that a scheming immortal genius' plans can, in the hands of many writers, look suspiciously like convolution for its own sake. Aaaaah. No, not 'aaaah', this just doesn't make sense.
The problem with Azrael as a character is that he has a very confused backstory; I know some of it and was still lost at times.
On the plus side, at times Azrael does come across as a stand-in for the Benson/Huston-era Moon Knight, and he spends some of this fighting t
Dean
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Can't give this a thumbs up for several reasons. Firstly, this is NOT a Batman collection, it's an Azrael collection with Batman, Catwoman, and Red Robin guest starring. The main storyline is very repetitive, poorly structured, messily written and the religious stuff completely over the top. The art was pretty good, and I liked Ra's, but I didn't feel this storyline was worthy of collection...avoid.
Callie Rose Tyler
Sep 13, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics, dc, batman
Wow, I really hated this. I thought the story was incredibly lame. In general I don't really care much for the whole religious zealot as a plot devise thing and that's pretty much what this came down to. Also, not a whole lot of Batman. It should be entitled Azrael:Gotham Shall Be Judged. So if you like over played religious overtones and Christian-Islamic relations I guess this is the book for you???
Trevor Osz
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Gotham Shall Be Judged is an interesting direction for Batman, and I think that's what makes it unique. It weaves in a lot in regards to religion, but it works really well and the story is well told. I would recommend checking it out as I really enjoyed it. Azrael gets resurrected for what he believes is god's work, but he doesn't realize it's actually the work of Ra's Al Ghul.
Andrew
Jun 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Gotham Shall be judged is a great compilation of Azrael comics, showcasing the tormented Crusader in all his fanatical glory. The various comics don't all follow a similar story-line, but are very cool nonetheless. If you are into the DC universe than you should check this out, and learn all about Azrael the anti-hero.
Viridian5
Everything was far too over the top, and Dick Grayson often behaves far more like the original Batman than himself, even in private. I couldn't suspend my disbelief over any of this, and I found Dick's recovered circus memory ridiculous.
Rebecca
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
I'll admit, this trade may have ended up making more sense if I hadn't stumbled upon the two previous Azrael collections AFTER I started reading it. But still, most times I can pick up a trade and just enjoy that chunk of story. Not here. I was so very very turned around.
Shellee
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I won this in a giveaway from Goodreads. I'm gonna let my hubby read this one then I will get his feedback and post. Note from hubby "This was freakin' Awesome!" "Thank you hunny for giving this to me I thought you hated it when I read comix." All I could do was laugh!
The Gotham City Sirens ties in with this storyline. You have to read this to fully understand what is going on in the Gotham City Sirens, and you need to read Gotham City Sirens to fully understand what is going on with Selina's sister in this story line... ugh comics :P
Scott Downing
Jun 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: giveaways
They say you should never discuss politics or religion in mixed company. The same idea can easily be expanded into comic book production. Using religious topics as fodder for entertainment is a dicey proposition at best. Here, DC has rolled a pair of snake eyes.
Sebastián Vallejo
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
a pesar de ser old school y fana de Bruce Wayne como Batman, Dick Grayson lo hace bien en lo que pudo terminar siendo el fin de ciudad Gótica a manos de los fanáticos volados la teja de Azrael, The Crusader y Fireball
Erik
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book!
Andrew
Apr 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
Awful.
John Yelverton
Apr 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
Very sacrilegious and quite unworthy of your time to read it.
Jason
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Very nice artwork, but still cant take to the easily duped religious zealot Azrael and preferred the Jean-paul Valley version
Dan Lynch
Oct 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Overall I wasn't a big fan of the story, but I did really like the ending.
Kyle
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dcu
Enjoyed this much more than I thought I would, but I wouldn't say it is required reading. More about Areal than it is about Batman leading up to the New 52. 4/5
Alkatraz
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphics, library
Not one of my favourite villains, Azrael is a religious fanatic who uses his swords to judge the wicked, the sinful. Problem? Everyone is a sinner, just depends on how terrible of one.
  • Batman: Eye of the Beholder
  • Red Robin, Vol. 4: 7 Days of Death
  • Penguin: Pain and Prejudice
  • Batman Beyond: Industrial Revolution
  • Batman: Gates of Gotham

Batman (1 - 10 of 373 books)
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 1