Start by marking “Price of a Bounty” as Want to Read:
Price of a Bounty

Read Excerpt

Price of a Bounty

(Reliance on Citizens Makes us Great! #1)

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  120 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Keira Maddock has never considered herself a lady. In fact, she often acts in ways that would be considered downright un-ladylike. A hired killer and thief whose only goal is to provide the necessities of life for herself and her sister, she has learned to be brutally effective in her trade, with skills as sharp as the weapons she prefers. And when the head of a huge, shad ...more
Published September 2011 by Sarah Yoho (first published August 18th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Price of a Bounty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Price of a Bounty

R.K. Ryals
Dec 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Price of a Bounty was a fast paced, fun read that kept me intrigued and hooked. Please note, this book is not my normal genre, and I was hesitant at first about reading it, but I am very glad I did.

To summarize, this is the story of a world changed, a world where Terene is dominated by the government and the lower classes are left to fend for themselves, to do without good medical treatment, and who must depend on the Elite/the upper class for their survival.

Price of a Bounty follows four main
Katherine Rochholz
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed that book, I generally don't read a lot or write a lot with different POV, so I was surprised how I truly enjoyed this one, most of the time I can be left feeling confused and lost. But this book is written very well. There are a few spots where see a lot of repeated information, but I didn't mind this very much. It was fast paced and kept me flipping the pages. I still really don't the multiple POV and wish it would have been done in 3rd person but that being said that really do ...more
Julie Powell
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Although this story has a familiar premise, in that it reflects today's world with regard to corruption, greed and those awful people who rule with psychopathic glee, it is filled with action and themes to keep interest.

A fast(ish) pace and written to suit the genre and characters.

Worth a look.
Kelly Thurman
Original review at my blog.

I stuck with this ebook to the end, but am not going to pick up the next in the series.

Price Of A Bounty, the first in S.L. Wallace's trilogy, is about a dystopian future in which the Resistance steals from the rich in order to help the poor: Robin Hood with more violence, basically, and better technology. This is not a favorable comparison; I cheered for the Sheriff of Nottingham.

The first thing that annoys me about Price Of A Bounty is the poor formatting. While thin
J.R. Barker
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-genreless
Meet Keira, or is her name Madeline or even Kendra?

This woman of many guises has many difficult decisions to make as she meets someone who forces her to take a good look at the world and herself.

Now she must decide whether or not to turn her specialist skills to aid the common good, but does the common man even deserve her help?

The divide between rich and poor has always been wide, ever since the war, and although everyone looks out for number one in this cut throat environment they are still be
Bob Miller
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Summary of story: A dystopian future world, which may or may not be earth. (There were not any realms with earth names, I think.) The rich and powerful elite run everything, and control information in the poor realm of Tkaron.
But there is a Resistance that is working to overthrow the system. The story focuses on three siblings, Kiera, Scott, and April, who take on different roles in this society. Kiera is a Freelancer, doing anything for money to survive. Scott is a soldier who is, supposedly
Ria Lize
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. And this was free. Is this still free? You might want to grab it, because I would've paid for it.

This book has shifting POVs, but i was not distracted at all. In fact, I rather liked it, and I thought I wouldn't.

Some parts were a little disturbing and if you've read it, you'll probably know what I mean, with April and Keira with that Cole guy.
*shudder*

I liked that this was different, it was a nice change from all the romantic suspense I've been reading lately. Speaking of roma
Matt Posner
May 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a fast-paced and entertaining dystopian novel written for young adult readers, but with adult characters. Teenagers will appreciate the spirit of protagonist Keira and the other narrators, Guy, Scott, and April, as they struggle against the malevolent plans of members of the rich Elite. Price of a Bounty builds slowly, getting to know the characters through a shifting first-person narration that is heavy on dialogue. Who can be trusted? Everyone has multiple names and identities, and fri ...more
Lisa P
A future world run by the rich elite feeding off the poor and oppressed, with a secret Resistance movement working to make things better, makes for an interesting tale. The story follows three siblings as their lives, though completely different, come together to aid this Resistance. There was quite a bit of action as you would expect from a tale like this; but unfortunately, that alone, was not enough to keep the story afloat. Although the idea for this story grabbed me in the beginning, I felt ...more
Books On Fire Tours
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a great read filled with both realism and fantasy. From start to finish you are dragged into a Dystopian story with several intriguing protagonists. I loved the flow from one character's POV to another with each passing chapter. The story line follows three siblings and their ties to Rick, whom is also known by other names, and how they try to make good of a bad situation and also do good for their own personal reasons. In a world where the Elite rule and the rest suffer without electri ...more
Karen Prince
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young adults and Adults
A very entertaining read. I really love distopian stories and thoroughly enjoyed `Price of a Bounty'. Set in a realm that has gone to ruin after the preceding war, this is a fast paced story about the stranglehold one group of people, in this case the Gov, or government, run exclusively by the very wealthy, have over the general population; denying them even basic necessities and information about the outside world in order to hang on to their own power.

Keira, Scott and April; siblings who's par
Crystal
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is out of my normal genre of reading material but I liked it. In the beginning, I got a little confused with the POV changing from character to character to character but fell into pace rather quickly after the first few "chapters."
There are 4 people you experience but 3 that are really strong story tellers. Keira is a Freelancer, Richard is a Guide and Scott is an undercover Shepherd. And there's April, Scott and Keira's sister.
This story is set in the future although I'm not too s
Lorena Wood
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Action, Suspense, and Romance
This is one of my new favorite reads. It has so many of the elements I enjoy - a strong female character, danger and action, a plot that keeps you turning pages to see what happens, and plenty of romance.
Kiera has had a rough life, so the life of a paid assassin works for her. She only takes contracts on those that deserve to die, and when one of her targets isn’t what he seems, she gives him a second chance.
She’s never trusted others, for good reason, and when she
Brenda Perlin
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The action starts right away. Within seconds you are in the middle of a suspenseful story that carries through the entire book. I was glued to the pages and careful to pay close attention to the clues. I didn't want to miss a thing.

This story shares the point of view of more than the main character which I really enjoyed. It makes you feel like you are taking a trip inside everyone's brain. The writing was crisp and sharp and the story was clever and intriguing. It was easy to indulge myself int
T.S.
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Price of a Bounty by SL Wallace –Review.
‘Price of a Bounty’ is a fast-paced novel with plenty of action. With main protagonists that all have their own secrets and inhabit an unequal world where; as they are all drawn together into a web of intrigue, they have to decide who they can and cannot trust.
Around this, with an assassin, resistance movement, murder, theft and a dash of romance, SL Wallace deftly takes us on their journey with surprising twists and turns that keep you wondering what is
E.A. Lake
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
S. L. Wallace has nailed it here! She's got style and ability, and it shines through in her writing.

The book read very smoothly. Well constructed verse in like that; easy to read and easy to follow. It's written in multiple first person and that's not easy. But S. :. pulls it off well.

I did not find a single grammatical error in this novel. And a bonus, I never had to reread a sentence because it didn't make sense.

Here's the only reason I (personally) didn't give it 5 stars - romance. And too mu
Diane Major
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My kind of a book!! This book appealed to me right from the beginning. I found myself picking it up at every opportunity possible – I simply had to know what happened to the characters in the story. The author’s creativity and ability to write the story from 4 different people’s perspectives totally held my attention. There are four lives entwined through fate. The story takes place in the future when the world is divided into two distinctive groups, the rich who are powerful and the poor. Even ...more
T.R. Stoddard
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
When the Wind Blows by James Patterson meets Robin Hood wrapped up in a lovely dystopian package. Price of a Bounty by S.L. Wallace is all of that and more. Told in first person and changing point of views it is very easy to connect and relate to Keira and the rest of the main characters. The only minor complaint I have is the repetition of dialogue when you switch views.

Shortened vocabulary for words we know give the world a new, vivid feel: techno for technology, vid for video, and so on.
Keira
J M Leitch
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Price of a Bounty is an original novel that blends action, sci-fi, romance and political suspense. Although slightly confusing at the start, I very much enjoyed the story being told from the main characters’ points of view. It worked well. I also liked the fact that S. L. Wallace ‘drip fed’ the reader with details about the world she was writing about. It kept the story fresh and created suspense. The underlying plot turned out to be more sophisticated than I would have guessed at first, which I ...more
Dab10 Dab10
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-read
Price Of a Bounty
reviewed By Dab10

The writing in this book comes to life. It's a great roller coaster highs and lows. The writing is smooth and captivating. Told in the first person, that person changes with each chapter(not easy to pull off but done well here). In a future where there is a two class system some lines get crossed, a freelance (thief/assassin) hired to retrieve money and kill the thief set off an adventure of secrets and lies; mystery and mayhem; murder and intrigue; love and lo
Sassapphras
Jan 22, 2012 rated it liked it
I really liked this story a lot, but unlike a lot of reviewers, I did (and always do) find the change of characters distracting. It always feels disjointed to me no matter how well it's done. And keeping up with who is the current main character is exhausting. I also felt like it took away from details that could have been added if there had been only one main character, but that's my personal opinion. Other than that, and especially if a constant change of character doesn't bother you, this boo ...more
Rhodora Fitzgerald
Oct 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I found this book even more interesting after a second read. I tend to read too fast sometimes and miss things on the first pass... so reading it a second time brought new light to the story. The author creates realistic, believable characters that keep the reader intrigued. I'm very anxious to read the sequel and learn where this story is going. A very well-crafted piece!
Cyrano
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Got about 20% through before I decided that the book was not worth going all the way through. My first hint was this bit early on:

"I could swim in the deep blue of those eyes. Stop! No distractions, Keira, not while you're working."

There's a lot of tell don't show, a lot of repetition--there's promise here, but it's mediocre enough that I didn't want to push through.
S.L. Wallace
Oct 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Another contest for this book is currently being held at http://smartweiters2.blogspot.com/201... Read the interview, post a comment, and you could win a signed copy!

Good luck!
Leah
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book and have the next one on my list of books I want to read. Normally I am confused by books that jump from character to character, changing points of view, but this was still easy to follow and I liked that a lot.
Mike
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Not the worst book I've ever read but it is damn far from the best. Ham handed writing style, a plot that relies on more coincidences than a soap opera, and it is completely populated by two dimensional unbelievable characters.
Jenna
Aug 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I tried I came to 55% in the book, but it is boring, there's almost no action, to much talk.
Characters are flat.
The book cover does look great.
Mike Kalmbach
Really enjoyed this one. Lots of twists and turns, and I enjoyed Kiera as the bounty hunter/freelancer--reminded me a bit of a female James Bond. Interested to see what happens in the next book!
Mark
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really like this story
Kasia
rated it did not like it
Jul 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Who is your favorite character and why? 2 6 Jul 06, 2014 09:51AM
Giveaway 1 5 Dec 01, 2011 06:31PM
Ratings and reading! 1 5 Nov 13, 2011 07:09PM
  • Dead Girl Running (New Order, #1)
  • Justice in an Age of Metal and Men
  • Flirting With Death (Assassins Anonymous - Step One)
  • Prison Nation (Prison Nation, #1)
  • Concealed in the Shadows (Concealed in the Shadows, #1)
  • Seer of Mars (Vallar, #1)
  • Windigo Soul
  • Donna of the Dead
  • Murder Over Easy
  • Biggie
  • The Smart Kid
  • Death Has a Name (Brodie Wade, #1)
  • Replica
  • Bad Radio (Emergent Earth, #1)
  • Zomblog (Zomblog, #1)
  • Latitude 38
  • Silent Kills
  • Revenge of the Dust Bunnies (Spooky Snacks, #1)
S.L. Wallace is a teacher and life long writer who is a descendant of the famous William Wallace. Like him, she believes in freedom and independence. Unlike him, she fights her battles with the pen, most recently taking a political stand against recent changes in government at the local and state levels.

The Reliance on Citizens trilogy is her first published series.

Reliance on Citizens Makes us Great! (3 books)
  • Canvas Skies (Reliance on Citizens, #2)
  • Heart of Humanity (Reliance on Citizens, #3)