Start by marking “Druid Mysteries: Ancient Wisdom for the 21st Century” as Want to Read:
Druid Mysteries: Ancient Wisdom for the 21st Century

Druid Mysteries: Ancient Wisdom for the 21st Century

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  141 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
In this beautifully-written guide, Chief Druid Philip Carr-Gomm shows how the way of Druids can be followed today. He explains

- The ancient history and inspiring beliefs of the ancient Druids
- Druidic wild wisdom and their tree-, animal- and herb-lore
- The mysteries of the Druids' seasonal celebrations
- The Druids' use of magic and how their spirituality relates to paths s
Published November 7th 2002 by Rider (first published November 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Druid Mysteries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Druid Mysteries

Tommy /|\
Dec 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Quite possibly, this is one of the most profound introductions to a belief system that I have ever read. Granted, I may have some bias in that statement, given that I am currently taking the Bardic Grade training within OBOD. However, removing that particular aspect, I found many of the insights shown throughout the book to be quite comfortable assessments of particular questions and issues I have contemplated and turned over and over in my own spiritual life of years past. If you are looking fo ...more
Joey Dye
Oct 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a great book about Druidry, both historical and as a living practice. Some parts were dry, but as a whole this was a very thought-provoking book. The most poignant parts for me were the discussions of the Wheel of the Year, the Spirits of the Circle, and the brief discussion of Druid magic. "When you can look at life, and experience that none of it belongs to you, quite magically and paradoxically you can feel then--in the depths of your being--that you truly belong in the world." For s ...more
Adrian
Aug 17, 2015 rated it liked it
I was recommended this book as an excellent introduction to druidry, and I suppose it is. However, I found that it focuses much, much more on the ancient past and history of druidry and not enough of the current practices. If I were to have read this book with the intent to start practicing, I wouldn't get enough information. (This coming from someone without any local groves of druids to guide). Nonetheless, an introduction.
Gillie
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
My intention was to skim this book as part of some research for a children's book I'm writing, but I read it more thoroughly than I intended. It seems to do a great job of laying out the principles of Druid thought and practice, but it also draws in modern and scientific thinking to explain old practices. It made me want to be a Druid!
David Olmsted
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: neo-pagan
Druidry is a growing nature based spiritual movement and the author is the leader of the only truly organized path based movement (as opposed to dogmatic religious movement) that I have ever run across. Modern Druidry begins where the old European tribal spirituality (Druidism) left off, further extending it into the modern age by incorporating humanity's additional insights. Unlike general New Age movements Druidry's respect for nature grounds its spirituality in reality only extending it as fa ...more
Carlos Carneiro
Mar 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excelente obra introdutória aos princípios do druidismo "moderno".
Stephanie
May 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012
Fabulous introduction to Druidry, with an emphasis on the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids.
Rebekah Gamble
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I feel the need to point out that this is an introductory book on the subject, but as far as intro books go this is a good one! The text is a to the point easy to read overview of different topics in Druidry complimented with exercises (mostly visualization) and dotted with history that helps a person understand the points. Enjoyable and easily approachable.
Claudia Loureiro
Um livro magnífico e muito bem escrito: sem dúvida uma viagem inspiradora. Um bom ponto de partida para quem está ou quer fazer o curso de Bardo.
• A história antiga dos Druidas e a sua importância para a nossa vida actual.
• As classes distintas de Bardos, Ovates e Druidas e suas respectivas funções.
• As cerimónias sazonais e os conceitos druídicos de tempo e espaço.
• Os círculos, pedras, estrelas e caminhos druídicos.
• Os segredos das árvores e dos animais no Druidismo.
• A relação entre o Druid
Kevin
Excellent overview of Druidry. Includes the academic point of view, as well as the more ethereal or esoteric perspective. I may not agree with all of Philip's views, but his arguments are compelling and his style of writing is engaging.

Definitely worth the read for those being introduced to Druidry or for those with a passing interest.
Jio Butler
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Essentially a concise, light OBOD course, giving a great introduction to Druidry with some lovely exercises. Even as someone who has been studying the subject for a while, I found it informative but not overwhelming. In my opinion this is a must- read for anyone interested in making Druidry a stronger part of their lives.
Gretchen
Jun 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: gaea
If the whole section on "The lost world of Atlantis" were removed, this book probably would have been a 4/5 stars. Its early enough that it made all of his theories in the rest of the book suspect.

There are some interesting tidbits though: the dynamics between festivals made me think of the wheel of the year in a different way than I had before.
Lisa Veldkamp
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great how-to-do-it book on modern day druidry. Filled with understandable theories and practical and useful exercises.
Maya
  • The Druids: Celtic Priests of Nature
  • Taliesin: The Last Celtic Shaman
  • Bonewits's Essential Guide to Druidism
  • The Apple Branch: A Path to Celtic Ritual
  • The Isles of the Many Gods: An A-Z of the Pagan Gods & Goddesses Worshipped in Ancient Britain During the First Millenium Ce Through to the Middle
  • Celtic Tree Mysteries: Practical Druid Magic & Divination
  • Horns of Power: Manifestations of the Horned God
  • Exploring the World of the Druids
  • Animism: Respecting the Living World
  • Pagan Celtic Ireland: The Enigma of the Irish Iron Age
  • The Elements of Celtic Tradition
Philip Carr-Gomm was born in London, raised in Notting Hill Gate, and educated at Westminster School and University College London.

He met his first spiritual teacher, Ross Nichols, the founder of The Order of Bards Ovates & Druids, when he was 11. He began studying with him when a teenager, and joined the Order of Bards Ovates and Druids at 18. He studied meditation with Olivia Robertson in Ir
More about Philip Carr-Gomm...