Start by marking “El Aleph ” as Want to Read:
El Aleph

El Aleph

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  24,350 Ratings  ·  882 Reviews
La mayoría de los cuentos reunidos en este libro pertenecen al género fantástico. Algunos surgieron, según sostiene el autor, a partir de crónicas policiales, de pinturas o simplemente de la visión de algún conventillo; otro explora el efecto que la inmortalidad causaría en los hombres; hay una glosa al Martín Fierro, sueños sobre la identidad personal y fantasías del tiem ...more
Published February 2011 by DEBOLSILLO (first published 1945)

To ask other readers questions about El Aleph, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El Aleph

Glenn Russell
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

We have all experienced different dimensions in our life, to name just three: waking, deep sleep and dreaming. Yet when it comes to describing or imagining the afterlife, I’ve read very few accounts postulating how awareness could shift between various levels; rather, life (or lack of life) after death tends to be portrayed as an uninterrupted hum all at one frequency, the three major frequencies: 1) awareness within a specific form, like a light body 2) formless awareness, that is,
Bill  Kerwin

This is a masterful collection by a writer of genius. I believe The Aleph is just as good as Fictions," and Fictions is as good as any book of short pieces produced in the 20th Century. If you like paradoxes, puzzles, doppelgangers and labyrinths used as metaphors for the relation of microcosm to macrocosm and the fluid nature of personal identity, then this is the book for you.

These stories are profound, but they are written in such an entertaining traditional narrative style that they might o
Down and Out in Lovecroft and Borges

At some point (but not today) I intend to do a review of Borges and Lovecroft together. Not to say anything important but merely to understand how they depend on one another. I think it is clear that Borges borrowed from Lovecroft. And I think it is just as clear that we read Lovecroft in light of what Borges did with the genre of fantasy/horror.

At least a half dozen stories have been identified by readers as ‘cross-overs’ as it were from Lovecroft to Borges.
Anything can drive a person insane if that person cannot manage to put it out of their mind” – even… “a map of Hungary”! Obsession is the unifying theme of virtually all these stories, which is apt, because I’m beginning to be a trifle obsessed myself. It is perhaps most central to The Zahir.

I have the Collected Fictions (with copious translator's notes), but am splitting my review of that into its components, listed in publication order: Collected Fictions - all reviews. This is the fourth, pu
Magrat Ajostiernos
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: club-pickwick, 2018
Telaraña de historias y leyendas absurdas y maravillosas, llenas de elementos fantásticos pero con las que viajas por todo el mundo y a través del tiempo.
He disfrutado mucho de esta lectura, aunque hay un puñado de relatos que no llegué a apreciar o entender, en cambio otros como 'El inmortal', 'Emma Zunz', 'La casa de Asterión', 'Deutsches Requiem' y 'El Alpeh' me fascinaron completamente y no puedo dejar de darles vueltas.
Borges consigue algo que nunca me había pasado, que según termine un r
Ahmad Sharabiani
EL aleph, Jorge Luis Borges
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: دوم ماه ژوئن سال 2008 میلادی
عنوان: الف (مجموعه 17 داستان کوتاه)؛ اثر: خورخه لوئیس بورخس؛ برگردان: م. طاهر نوکنده؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، نیلوفر، چاپ دوم 1387، در 245 ص، شابک: 9789644483288، چاپ قبلی 1387 در 254 ص، کتابنامه از ص 241 تا 245، داستانهای کوتاه آرژانتینی، قرن 20 م
در جهان داستاننویسیِ آمریکای لاتین، پس از انتشار آثار بورخس، کمتر نوشته ی قابل اعتنائی میتوان یافت که برای دور شدن از واقعیت گرائیِ عینی توانسته باشد از جادو و ابداعِ خیالی سازیهای ب
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: argentinean-lit
Stevenson, Wells, Twain, Verne,…the Arabian Nights, were some of the references for Borges very early on, back in Argentina. At his father’s library, he read a lot. Then he went to Europe...

Borges: “American, old and a blind poet “ he realized once, later in life. Afterwards he had to live up to it and face old age as a “time of happiness”; the “animal being dead…man and soul go on”.

Borges: “a shy man who longed for oblivion” (“siempre tímido”, as he said of himself); but not shy stories, he
Luís C.
This book of short tales by Jorge Luis Borges is perhaps the most brilliant compendium of fantastic stories that the author has written. Among others, we find: "The immortal", "The dead", "The theologians", "History of the warrior and the captive" and the central story that has the most eloquent burden of mystery and metaphysical depth: "The Aleph".
In this last story, the author in person is the protagonist. After the death of his beloved friend Beatriz Viterbo, Borges does not miss the appointm
Mar 01, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You're avoiding a single star, Borges, simply because I try my best not to dish them out. There's little value in reading if one is going to try consider ways to dislike doing it. I love your ideas, but not your executions. Reading through the contents list, I can easily choose five or six stories whose very conception alone excite me(The Immortal, The Zahir, The Writing of The God, The House of Asterion), but you continually bashed me over the head with names, places, dates, literary and histor ...more
I know why I didn't write a review. I wrote several reviews about Borges' books and I got tired of saying how amazing this writer was. Is. Will always be. This is one of the greatest short stories collections I've ever read. There are ordinary situations combined with magical events, sometimes very subtle, sometimes not. But it's there. And they're all beautifully written. Stories like "El Inmortal", "Emma Zunz", "La casa de Asterión" or "Los teólogos" are outstanding pieces of literary work tha ...more
Mar 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
عالم بورخيس القصصي عجيب
في بعض أحيان بتكون الفانتازيا والغرابة في النص الأدبي طريفة وممتعة وفيها صور خيالية جميلة
وأحيان أخرى تكون غاية في الغموض
بعض القصص في هذه المجموعة الخيال فيها مثير للدهشة, وأخرى أفكارها مفهومة إلى حد ما
وبعضها الكاتب نفسه بيدخل فيها فكأنها أجزاء من حياته.
قراءة مختلفة ومحيرة
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading Borges my brain usually feels fried, so excuse all the nonsense in this review. My intention was never to write anything about it, to let it flow, to carry on with my life. But trust me, after reading this magnificent writer, and specially such writings as the ones collected in El Aleph, life's never the same. My brain may be fried, but my soul feels somewhat soothed.

Reading him is like facing the Zahir: something that seeds in one's soul a never-ending obsession in life's groundle
Me costó mucho terminar este libro. Tenía ganas de leerlo por decir "ya leí a Borges en algún punto de mi vida", pero realmente fue una lectura algo difícil.

El contexto histórico, fantasioso y en ciertos momentos filosóficos fueron muy abrumantes. Seguramente me pareció eso debido a que venía leyendo estilos y géneros muy distintos al de cuentos fantaseosos con un nivel de profundidad alto (en la mayoría de ellos).

Es el primer libro con el que experimento la convicción de volver a leerlo en ot
Feb 04, 2015 marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
This is the 2nd time I try to read these stories. This time I tried in Spanish (very bad idea- too difficult for my level) and then came back to the Romanian translation.

I liked the ideas (such as for the Immortals) but the author continually put references of different names, places, dates, literary and historical citations that in my opinion made the story unpleasant to read. I understand the author is very well read and he drew inspiration from all the book he cites (Iliad, Hamlet, etc) but
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Immenso Borges

Se leggendo “Finzioni” non si può fare a meno di ammirare Borges per l’originalità inventiva e il geniale virtuosismo, leggendo “L’Aleph” si impara ad amarlo incondizionatamente. O almeno a me è successo così.
A chi si accostasse per la prima volta a questo scrittore, consiglierei pertanto di iniziarne la conoscenza da quest’opera, che a mio avviso ne rivela più intensamente ed esaustivamente le eccezionali qualità narrative e il singolarissimo profilo intellettuale.
Ciascuno dei d
Teresa Proença
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: g-contos, e5, n-argentina
"Que o céu exista, mesmo que o nosso lugar seja o inferno."

Há dias (por "culpa" de uma amiga do Goodreads) ouvi uma pequena história de Jorge Luis Borges que me impressionou:
Um dia, junto das pirâmides do Egipto, Borges apanhou um punhado de areia, largou-o mais à frente e disse: "Estou a modificar o deserto.
...e, através da sua escrita, modifica a mente de quem o lê...

Dos dezassete contos, incluídos neste livro, não gostei muito da maior parte deles. Ou porque não os compreendi (perdida em l
Biron Paşa
Bundan yaklaşık bir yıl önce elime aldım Alef'i ve ilk öyküleri okudum. Ama Borges içine girilmesi, anlaşılması çok zor bir dünya yaratmıştı. Bir hikâyenin içinde anlamadığım ve hikâyenin hiçbir yerinde açıklanmayan onlarca gönderme, referans oluyordu ve bazen bunlar hikâyenin meramını anlamamı engelliyordu. Sinirlendim ve Borges'i anlaşılmayacak bir şeyler yazdığı için kibirli buldum.

Üstünden aylar geçti ve ben kitaba hiç dokunmadım. Sonra geçenlerde aklıma düştü ve Borges'le olan içimdeki tart
Mar 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
قرأتها قبل عامين
و هذا ما كتبته حينها
مجموعة قصص قصيرة لـ بورخيس...0
ليست قراءته سهلة... فهذا الإنسان موسوعي جدا و كأنه مطلع على كافة الثقافات و الأديان و الأساطير في الأرض... كثرة الأسماء و التداعيات جعلتني أتوه... و حُقَّ لي أن أتوه و هو أبو المتاهات و التوهان... فقصصه تدور بمعظمها حول المتاهة واللانهائية و الدور و الشك و اللامنطقية... فمثلا كيف لنقطة أن تحتوي كل الزمان و المكان و كل شيء بوقت واحد لا متعاقب...0
طبعا ليس من داع لأقول أن لم تكن كل القصص على سوية واحدة و أن فكرته كثيرا ما كان يعيدها
Apr 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
El Aleph es una colección de cuentos (de ficción, la mayor parte) recopilada, si no me falla, por el mismo Borges, donde se exploran diversos temas que pasan por la inmortalidad y su opuesto, la divinidad, el significado de dios y todo esto lo conjunta con la metafísica, teología, filosofía y estoy seguro que hasta algo de metaliteratura hay por allí.

Y hay varios cuentos en la colección que me dejaron muy buena impresión, El Inmortal paso a ser uno que recomendaría sin dudas, El Aleph es probabl
Ci ho provato e riprovato. Ogni volta mi impegnavo a leggerne un pezzetto in più, ma ogni volta mi ritrovavo con un testo cervellotico, artificioso e saccente, che faticavo ad afferrare; anzi, mi infastidiva. E ogni volta mi sentivo come quel rudimentale troglodita del primo racconto, tuttavia priva di immortalità.
L’ho ripreso infine da poco, quando ho scoperto su GR un gruppo di lettura che aveva scelto proprio "L’Aleph” per il mese di dicembre.
Sono rimasta dietro le quinte in attesa, e anche
Vit Babenco
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Our twentieth century had inverted the story of Mohammed and the mountain; nowadays, the mountain came to the modern Mohammed.”
Isn’t it about the modern mass media?
“‘When I opened my eyes, I saw the Aleph.’ ‘The Aleph?’ ‘Yes, the only place on earth where all places are – seen from every angle, each standing clear, without any confusion or blending.’”
As The Aleph is a locus of the entire world so the stories by Jorge Luis Borges are the epitome of the entire intellectual universe.
“His guiding p
Tolgonay Dinçer
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mükemmel bir bilgi birikimi ve harika kurgulanmış öyküler eğer siz de bu bilgilere sahipseniz. Yüzeysel olarak okunarak da zevk alınacak bir kitap ama ben ayrıntılarda boğuldum, bilmediğim pek çok efsane, kültür, olay... Daha iyi bir dönem de tekrar okumayı kesinlikle isterim.
Renée Paule
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heavy going in places, but lovely short stories just the same.
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A los 19 años, más o menos, abrí con inocencia, con rabia, fresco y joven, mi primer libro de Borges. Pero a los pocos cuentos -o a las pocas páginas, mentiría de cualquier forma porque no lo recuerdo- lo dejé, o mejor, el libro me expulsó. Enojado con el Mejor Escritor Argentino de Todos los Tiempos, o conmigo mismo pienso ahora, le contaba a mi analista de entonces -iba a la piscólogica ja- que Borges era un pedante de mierda, un intelectual frío, un esteta vacuo. Lo odiaba.
Después de esta pri
Jan 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: italo-calvino
کتاب مجموعه ای از 17 داستان کوتاه هست.کتاب خوبی بود و داستان های زیبایی داشت ...اما بزرگترین مشکل این اثر، حداقل برای من، این بود که کتاب پر بود از اسامی آدم ها ،اسطوره ها و سرزمین های ناشناخته ای که من به سختی اسم بعضی از آنها را شنیده بودم، و چون دائما" باید به پی نوشت ها مراجعه می کردم کمی خسته کننده و حوصله سر بر بود
Mar 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Want a great description of what it's like to look at the World Wide Web through a browser for the first time? Read the long beautiful paragraph in which Borges describes his first look into the Aleph.

I keep coming back to these stories and those in Labyrinths. Borges captures so much, so quickly.
Repellent Boy
Me inicié con esta lectura con poquísimas expectativas, y he acabado alargando la lectura para no acarbarla tan pronto. La realidad es que Borges no es para todos los públicos. Me costó mucho meterme en su mundo y adaptarme a su pluma. Ahora bien, una vez lo hice, fue una absoluta maravilla. Me gustaron todos los relatos. Algunos más que otros, pero todos tiene ese algo que se te queda dentro al acabarlo. Genio.
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book on a shelf at a library two days ago. The name of the author sounded familiar, but I did not know from where. I picked it up and opened it on a random page, which happened to be the first page of the short story "The House of Asterión".

It was one of the most stunning things I had ever read. Needless to say, I brought The Aleph home with me that day.

Since then I've been reading. It would be a lie to say I understood everything, that I caught every reference. Maybe that even ad
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
De haber un solo libro que fuera este.
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All'interno di questa raccolta ogni storia oltre a racchiudere un universo a sè stante, riesce a contenere almeno una parte della grande sapienza di Borges.
L'Aleph è un insieme di racconti fantastici, che dimostrano la grande capacità dell'autore di fondere la finzione e la realtà, lasciando il lettore in un apparente stato di sbalordimento.
Sono storie brevi estremamente colte, ricche di riferimenti a testi e autori tutt'altro che noti. Sono storie religiose, orientali, mitologiche, esoteriche,
Goodreads Italia: GdL Narrativa Dicembre 2013: L'Aleph di Jorge Luis Borges - Commenti e discussione 31 222 Aug 04, 2017 03:27AM
/lit/: * The Immortal - Jorge Luis Borges 9 162 Mar 21, 2014 09:38AM
  • Sobre héroes y tumbas
  • Martín Fierro
  • El Llano en llamas
  • Boquitas pintadas
Jorge Francisco Isidoro Luis Borges Acevedo, usually referred to as Jorge Luis Borges (Spanish pronunciation: [xoɾxe lwis boɾxes]), was an Argentine writer and poet born in Buenos Aires. In 1914, his family moved to Switzerland where he attended school and traveled to Spain. On his return to Argentina in 1921, Borges began publishing his poems and essays in Surrealist literary journals. He also wo ...more
More about Jorge Luis Borges...

Fiction Deals

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Waterfalls (Glenbrooke, #6)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead: The Great Liberation through Hearing in the Bardo (Shambhala Classics)
  • Skinny Legs and All
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • July, July
  • Clock Without Hands
  • The Most Dangerous Place on Earth
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Waiting for Morning (Forever Faithful, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Paris Wife
    $11.99 $2.99
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Was Your Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
“A man sets out to draw the world. As the years go by, he peoples a space with images of provinces, kingdoms, mountains, bays, ships, islands, fishes, rooms, instruments, stars, horses, and individuals. A short time before he dies, he discovers that the patient labyrinth of lines traces the lineaments of his own face.” 203 likes
“There are those who seek the love of a woman to forget her, to not think about her.” 86 likes