Start by marking “Almost Paradise” as Want to Read:
Almost Paradise

Almost Paradise (Louise Golden Mysteries #1)

Louise, a mail carrier in Kaneohe, Hawaii, searches for Conchita Santos, an elderly customer on her delivery route who has mysteriously vanished. Louise encounters a murderer, who stalks her, but she get the better of him and solves the mystery of the missing woman...and two other unsolved police cases.
Published September 1st 2011 by Savant Books & Publications LLC

To ask other readers questions about Almost Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Almost Paradise

Rick Ludwig
Oct 07, 2011 Rick Ludwig rated it it was amazing
In her first novel, Laurie Hanan hits one out of the park. Her main character, Louise Golden is not typical for the genre. She's a mail carrier on Oahu who happens to care about the people on her route. When one of her regulars disappears, she doesn't just assume everything is okay. She checks on her and finds significant evidence that something is wrong. Despite putting herself in peril, she refuses to let this woman's disappearance be ignored. Louise is an individual with an intriguing past an ...more
A.J. Llewellyn
Jul 03, 2013 A.J. Llewellyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own-a-copy
I totally loved this book. I enjoyed the many threads, including the two mysteries at heart and Louise Golden herself. Her relationship with Brian seems real and heart-breaking. I hope he returns in the second book, which I've just purchased.
I love Louise and adore her job as a mail carrier! What an unusual protagonist. She provides some interesting observations about how you can tell a lot about people by the mail they receive ring true.
I loved the secondary characters, particularly Emmeline, t
Sally Guillen
Nov 28, 2011 Sally Guillen rated it really liked it
This book is a murder mystery and it keeps you guessing all the way to the end. Just when you think you have it figured out, you're totally wrong. The story takes place in Hawaii and has some great Hawaiian words, which are explained in the glossary. The main character is a woman named Louise Golden who is a postal worker. She takes her job seriously and really gets to know her "customers". Things start to go bad when one of the older women she takes mail to goes missing. Louise just can't let i ...more
Vicki
May 16, 2012 Vicki rated it it was amazing
Hooked from the first page, I didn’t want to stop reading until the end. The book has murder, suspense, romance, star struck characters and friends that couldn’t be different from each other. I loved it!

The author takes you on a journey to find a killer, and just when you think you know who it is…it isn’t. Well written, it ends with a shocker that I didn’t see coming. Everyone and everything isn’t what it appears to be.

This is the first book by this author I’ve read. Her 2nd book, which happens
Sheryl
Dec 12, 2011 Sheryl rated it liked it
Lousie Golden is a great fun character. Someone I would like to be friends with. It is always fun to read a book about the place where you live...it feels so familiar and comfortable and it seems that you get all the inside jokes-like one of the characters almost.
Maris
Jun 19, 2012 Maris rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Maris by: Laurie Hanan is a good friend on the other side of the world. I was so happy for her when she started writing. She sent me a copy as soon as it was in print. Great to have friends like that!
The kind of mystery that I like!
Gail Baugniet
Nov 19, 2011 Gail Baugniet rated it it was amazing
Local flavor, tradition, and a bit of the pidgin Posted on Amazon: December 21, 2011
By Gail M Baugniet, Author of For Every Action

Recently, I purchased a trade book copy of author Laurie Hanan's mystery novel from her display table at a craft fair. This is the first in her Louise Golden series. With my obsession for e-books, print copies usually end up on a shelf unread. But, a mystery, set in Hawaii, on the island of O'ahu? I couldn't wait to start reading ALMOST PARADISE.

Postal mail carrier
Brenda Todd
Mar 05, 2014 Brenda Todd rated it it was amazing
Almost Paradise is a wonderful book. It provides a glimpse into the life of Louise, a middle-aged lady trying to rebuild her life after the death of her soul mate Amos. She has found friendship in her landlords, her 10 year old neighbor, Emmeline, a tenuous relationship with Brian, and so many others. She has a job with the Postal Service which provides her with a routine schedule allowing her time to get to know the people on her route. Many are elderly and alone, so when one elderly lady break ...more
Lehua Parker
May 07, 2013 Lehua Parker rated it really liked it
As a mail carrier in Kaneohe, Hawaii, Louise Golden brings a little aloha to the people along her route. When elderly Conchita Santos doesn’t meet her at the mailbox for the first time in two years, Louise goes looking. The house is unlocked, Pipsqueak the dog is unfed, and Mrs. Santo’s purse is still inside. Fearing the worst, Louise files a missing persons report and begins her own investigation, an investigation that leads to murder, a movie set, new shoes, a French manicure, and a hand-carve ...more
Colleen Ray
Jul 07, 2013 Colleen Ray rated it it was ok
Yawn. This book is written with true Hawaiian spirit, and is full of scenic description. As mainland visitors to the beautiful islands have found, the culture is relaxed, and seldom in a hurry to get anywhere.

This book embodies that culture, but In a bad way. It moves at a snails pace, providing tedious, unending descriptions of EVERYTHING. Do we really need to know which minor characters danced with each other, or what everyone had for lunch? Pages and pages are wasted on unimportant detail th
Cathy Connolly
Jul 08, 2013 Cathy Connolly rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! Laurie has wonderful character development, which I look for in books I read. Laurie's writing style makes the reader feel as though they are walking along side of Louise.

Her style allows the reader to get to know the characters personalities and their idiosyncrasies. I enjoyed the interactions with the neighborhood children, Emmeline and her dog Dazy along with Emmeline's little brother Jackie, on a daily basis!

The story line keeps you wondering just what did happe
Marge
Feb 07, 2016 Marge rated it really liked it
I picked this book because it reminded me of my first trip to Hawaii last February. I read a chapter or two every morning and often before I fell asleep at night. It is a mystery with a very likable heroine. Louise is a mail carrier who actually cares about the people on her route. And when one old lady goes missing, Louise starts investigating on her spare time.

The ending is especially touching. The description so detailed that I could imagine myself on that beach with her. She is such a tende
Jinx Schwartz
Jul 15, 2013 Jinx Schwartz rated it it was amazing
When an O'ahu mail carrier turns amateur sleuth in order to help an elderly patron, she uncovers the harsh underbelly of paradise. Oh, sure, there are elements of a cozy in the daily village life, but make no mistake, this is a whodunit. The Tower of Babel-ish cast of characters in this first novel reveal the complex makeup of the islanders themselves. Hawaii: it ain't all hula-hula, ukuleles and leis. I'm looking forward to the next book.
Kerstin Lampert
Apr 03, 2013 Kerstin Lampert rated it it was amazing
The debut novel of promising author, Laurie Hanan....a lot of insights into everyday life in Hawaii, and also special insights into what makes it special. Take this on your next vacation!
Robin Halvorson
Jan 21, 2015 Robin Halvorson rated it liked it
Beginning of another Hawaiian series. Seems very good so far. Postal Delivery Person solves crimes and has a life.
Kay
Jul 13, 2013 Kay rated it really liked it
Mail carrier in Hawaii solves mystery of missing elderly lady.
Laura rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2016
t
t rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2016
Krystle Gibson
Krystle Gibson rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2014
Janet Paventy
Janet Paventy rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2013
Deborah S. Good
Deborah S. Good rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Michelle Motas
Michelle Motas rated it liked it
May 21, 2012
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2012
Vivek
Vivek rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2012
John Crusey
John Crusey rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Leann
Leann rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2013
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2015
Dawn Pedersen
Dawn Pedersen rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2016
Larry Rodness
Larry Rodness rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Advice of Counsel (Samuel Collins, #1)
  • Screaming To Be Solved
  • The Naked Room (Susan Prescott #1)
  • Wolf Medicine
  • The Advocate's Betrayal (The Advocate #2)
  • Anon (Anon Duology, #1)
  • Alcohol Was Not Involved (Shallow End Gals Trilogy, #1)
  • Fem Dom
  • King of Paine
  • Babe on Board (Harry McGlade Mystery)
  • All about Amy
  • This Brilliant Darkness
  • My Dead Friend Sarah
  • The Count of Monte Cristo as Retold by Sherlock Holmes
  • The Assembly Room
  • Art of Death (Death #1)
  • Invisible
  • Wolf Storm
Laurie grew up in the picturesque islands of the South Pacific. Her father pioneered air travel to many of the tiny islands, and Laurie often accompanied him on his flights. She moved to Seattle to study photography and dance at the University of Washington. While there, she discovered an interest in Jewish Studies, Hebrew, and Middle Eastern dance. She moved to Israel to pursue these subjects, ea ...more
More about Laurie Hanan...

Louise Golden Mysteries (4 books)
  • How Far Is Heaven? (Louise Golden mystery #2)
  • Another Day in Paradise (The Louise Golden Mysteries)
  • Stairway to Heaven (Louise Golden Mysteries #4)