Start by marking “Up the Capitol Steps: A Woman's March to the Governorship” as Want to Read:
Up the Capitol Steps: A Woman's March to the Governorship

Up the Capitol Steps: A Woman's March to the Governorship

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  24 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Up the Capitol Steps" is a personal and political memoir by Oregon's first (and only) woman governor, one of only 34 women who have served as state chief executives in the history of the United States. Barbara Roberts offers a behind-the-scenes glimpse of a woman's life in politics and aims to "demystify" leadership by telling the story of her own unlikely rise to power. T ...more
Published October 1st 2011 by Oregon State University Press

To ask other readers questions about Up the Capitol Steps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Up the Capitol Steps

Marie
Nov 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoirs, nonfiction, women

A few weeks ago I heard Barbara Roberts on Oregon Public Broadcasting's morning show, Think Out Loud, talking about her new memoir. In her lively, genuine way, she spoke about the highlights of her time as governor and also discussed her upbringing. I knew I wanted to read her book, so I put it on hold at the library.

Roberts is a fascinating woman. Raised primarily in a small Oregon town (Sheridan), she grew up in a blue collar family filled with love and
Cathyg
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wonderful. A real insight into Oregon politics. A great lady. To bad she did not run for a second term.
itpdx
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Thank you, Barbara. (Beyond western informality, Barbara Roberts has shared so much of her life in this book that I feel like she is a friend.)
Barbara Roberts was the first (and so far, the only) woman who has served as governor of Oregon.
I want to thank her for sharing her challenges with her early marriage, being a single mom, raising an autistic child, the deaths of her parents, sister and husband.
I want to thank her for the insights into political campaigning and into the job of governor.
I
Ruth
Mar 11, 2016 added it
I never imagined with my brief time in the Oregon political scene how much work it would be to walk up the Capitol Steps and be as involved as Barbara Roberts was. Her autobiography tells her very human story of her life. She had highs and lows but she made a huge difference in the State of Oregon. This is a book to be read and a woman to be admired. I knew her personally and hold her in high esteem.
Sam
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the truly amazing story of a women and her rise to governorship. As someone who isn't into politics I found the personal stories about her family very entertaining. Barbara Roberts has the ability to make you feel like your apart of her crusade. Her passion for her son and his disability was truly inspiring.
Pat Kennedy
Nov 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I listened to a reading of this book by Oregon's former governor and was enthralled by her story. Her writing style is very succinct; not poetic but she has a great story. She was Oregon's first Democrat and her story about her career trajectory is very interesting. It is a quick read.
Bethany
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Barbara Roberts certainly has led an interesting and note-worthy life. Her book fully tells her political life story, while also being a personal account of her life and family. This combination made for a great read. I feel like a smarter citizen. :)
Gail Johnson
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. A great personal story told with wit, wisdom and passion. A must read for all who are interested in politics.
Les Aucoin
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: autobiography
The true story of the rise and courage of Oregon's first and only woman governor.
Marcia