Start by marking “The Coffee Book: Anatomy of an Industry from Crop to the Last Drop” as Want to Read:
The Coffee Book: Anatomy of an Industry from Crop to the Last Drop

The Coffee Book: Anatomy of an Industry from Crop to the Last Drop

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  96 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
A freshly updated edition of the best introduction to one of the world’s most popular products, The Coffee Book is jammed full of facts, figures, cartoons, and commentary covering coffee from its first use in Ethiopia in the sixth century to the rise of Starbucks and the emergence of Fair Trade coffee in the twenty-first. The book explores the process of cultivation, harve ...more
Published April 24th 2006 by The New Press (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Coffee Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coffee Book

Ash Ponders
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Less useful than other books in illustrating the seed to cup movements. Meh. Both too casual and not casual enough.
Dr.
Jun 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
Very hard to tell fact / information from political and ideological blurb.

A waste of time, unless you are a debater that has to present a marxist interpretation of the coffee world.
Angel
This book is a very good overview of coffee in terms of the product, its history, and where it stands now. It does read a bit like a textbook, which may make it a bit dry at times in terms of the reading experience (this is really the reason I give it three stars instead of four). Also some of the book layout could have been a bit better. The various notes on companies, so on in the margins were interesting, but distracting from the main text, and since they often went for multiple pages, it mea ...more
Chris
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a great read. The brief overview of the origins of coffee, is perfect. The authors instead of dwelling on a subject covered in many other books, have chosen to instead illuminate the more present day story of the little bean that shapes nations.
The authors have chosen to present the social and economic impact of the coffee bean in broad strokes. They could have gone into greater detail (something I would love to read), but this would have lead to a much drier read, and would have alienated
Anna Salahub
Feb 12, 2013 rated it liked it
The book gives an overall good review of the industry, giving lots of facts about the whole supply chain. It also helps to understand how the industry works, who is important and who is overlooked.
However, I find the format very poor. The facts are presented one by one in every sentence, when they could take a group of facts, rather, and provide an analysis of them. This would make it an easier read. They also give very few solutions about what could be done on with the issues of unfair wages o
Manahil
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing

"Economically, coffee is the world's second most valuable traded commodity, behind only petroleum!!"

Yes, I gave the coffee book Five Stars! and I wish that I could give this book more than five stars!
hmm, The brief History of coffee was my favorite part.. a really interesting!! and I learned that, the coffee is more than a cup working to keep your mind sharp..

Overall, coffee lover? give it a start!
Atlantis
Aug 19, 2011 rated it liked it
I admit that I didn't finish this book entirely. I picked it up from the library just out of curiosity. This book explains coffee in explicit detail-the different types, when/where/how it became popular and why. It also delves into economic influences and how coffee has evolved throughout time. Unfortunately, it was a little too much about coffee for me! ;-)
Steffie
Nov 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
A comprehensive history of coffee; as a beloved drink and an imperialistic crop. I was hoping for a section on tasting and growing regions impact on flavor, but the book was nevertheless a very interesting and fast read, extremely informative.
Mikey Sklar
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Every coffee drinker should read this book. This history, growing process, transport, and business around our favorite bean are all covered in detail. The books leaves me with a feeling that coffee is far more unfair and less organic than I would have believed.
Kimmy
May 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
You got your facts, start to finish.
Leo
Feb 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Very well-researched, but gets to be dull after the first couple of chapters.
Patrick
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Extremely Informative...unlike this review hehe.
Anyway, it's a good book regarding the history of coffee and the surprising cost of raw coffee
Jesse
May 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Everything you want to know about coffee...I enjoyed it. Kind of like a text book
Peter Ellehoj
Joseph
rated it it was ok
Feb 10, 2014
Matthew E. Peach
rated it did not like it
Nov 29, 2016