Start by marking “Diablo III: Book of Cain” as Want to Read:
Diablo III: Book of Cain

Diablo III: Book of Cain

(Diablo #8)

Since the dawn of time, the Eternal Conflict has raged between the High Heavens and the Burning Hells. If the Prophecy of the End Days holds true, mankind will soon find itself trapped in the middle of this never-ending war. Here renowned scholar Deckard Cain has combined excerpts, illustrations, and firsthand knowledge to pen a history of the world of Sanctuary. His writi ...more
Published December 12th 2011 by Insight Editions (first published November 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Diablo III, please sign up.

Conrad Zero
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I do love it when authors create a unique backstory for their worlds. I love it even more when they flesh them out into an entire mythology. And better still when they present it with style, design and artwork that you'll find in The Book Of Cain.

This book is a journey through time (presented in a journal format) that starts at The Capital-B Beginning, and covers aeons of demonic/angelic creation, wars, marches, purges, betrayals, forbidden romances, and even the creation of the universe you'll
Avery
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
What was really neat about this book is that it was written as if it was the actual item that appears in the game. From Deckard Cain’s point of view, it contains information on the High Heavens and the Burning Hells as well as the key players throughout history, presented as the ongoing research Cain collected throughout his life.

I’d never played a Diablo game before D3, but rather enjoy D3 when I just want to kill some pixel-people without having to think. Because of that, I was really unfamili
Richard Houchin
Dec 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This reads like an extended old Blizzard game manual. I remember reading the manuals for WarCraft I and Diablo I cover to cover for all the story and artwork. Book of Cain delivers with wicked illustrations that have the power to define a whole style of imagining. And not only that, the writing has just the right balance of character and source-book style to give teasing hints at a great story that leaves enough undefined and contradictory to fuel the speculation.

It feels like they are building
MrJ
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Diablo III: Book of Cain is narrated by none other than Deckard Cain. He is writing this "tome, journal, etc" in hopes that Leah his profound "niece/daughter" will study and continue his works.

The content packed in this book is not necessarily lacking, however there is no real depth or attachment to the summarized events that go on in the universe of Diablo. The first half of the book contains background stories on creation of the universe, eternal war as well as the main powers of heaven and he
Parka
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-books

(More pictures on my blog)

This is a beautifully designed book.

There's a short book jacket ribbon across the cover. Beneath it is a gorgeous illustration embossed on both the front and back covers. The 148 pages have a yellow tinted look and a rough cut edge treatment that gives it an impression of some old tome. It's a nice idea executed well.

I've not played Diablo before but that doesn't stop me from enjoying the book. I can understand from reading why the game has such a huge following.

The boo
Ken
Feb 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Diablo III: Book of Cain is written from Deckard Cain's point of view. The book is intended as a legacy to his niece Leah, who after reading this book, would have the knowledge to continue the work of the Horadrim before the coming apocalypse.

This book is packed with gorgeous artworks and lore that give the reader a better understanding of the Diablo universe. The first half of the book goes through the history of Sanctuary, including the eternal conflict between the High Heavens and Burning Hel
Wayne McCoy
Oct 08, 2016 rated it liked it
'Diablo III' by Insight Editions came to me as an ebook that was releasing this month. My review is based on the review copy they gave me which is only 23 pages long. I think it's enough to give me an idea of what the rest of book contains.

The book is told by Diablo III's narrators, Deckard Cain. The book has the feel of a journey with notes and drawings from the game. The chapter I was giving discussed the greater evils (Diablo, Baal, Mephisto) and lesser evils (Duriel, Andariel, Azmodan, and B
Reg
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a great companion for those intending to play Diablo 3 or have played the prior Diablo games. There is enough information that hints at but doesn't give away on what would happen in Diablo 3. The illustrations are gorgeous and it also comes with a folded map of Sanctuary which I think would look nice framed on my wall.

The book is written in Deckard Cain's perspective. Being the last of the Horadrim, Cain "wrote" and compiled this book addressing it to his niece, Leah, in the event t
Hell
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
On then insistence of my best friend, who is an avid gamer and loves the Diablo games, I finally knuckled down and read this after she gifted it to me.
I love mythology and learning lore about certain things, so getting a fictional but well thoughtout and highly detailed account of this game series was really interesting.
I knew bits and pieces about the lore from what she's told me and when I've watched her play Diablo III, but getting an in-depth look at the history of the cultures and beings wa
Felipe Freitas
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book.
Like a diary style by Cain with a good glimpse of what is going on in the Diablo world summarizing the main points of this universe.
There are some artworks of the main passages to illustrate and explain how Cain depicts what he tells.

Imo the ideal and best book to start off before diving into Diablo’s book series.
Luke Crocker
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Elegantly constructed, beautifully illustrated, and rich in lore... I mean REALLY rich.

I've been playing the Diablo franchise for some years and though I loved it, I never made heads or tails of the lore. This past month, this book and the Book of Tyrael (a sort of companion book), not only cleared up the history, but enriched it beyond what I ever expected!
Alistair Gill
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, fantasy, games
As a fan of the games I found this book and the lore contained interesting and nostalgic. In some parts I'd have liked more detail, but overall the writing is good and does a fine job of setting up the Diablo universe if you weren't around for the earlier games in the series.
Melanie
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this one a bit more than the Book of Tyrael because it covers much more of the Darkening of Tristram and the backgrounds of the Prime and Lesser Evils.
L.G. Estrella
Dec 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I remember the days of my youth, or rather, my childhood with a great deal of fondness. Some of my fondest memories were of receiving a video game for my birthday or for Christmas. My parents set a limit of no more than two new video games a year. It was a wise thing to do, and it meant that I had to choose which games I got very carefully.

Once I'd chosen my video game, it was time to take it out of the box. In those days, video games came with quite a lot. There was, of course, the video game
Ryan Moat
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Having been a fan of the story of Diablo since '96, this book was incredible, as it brought back those old childhood stories back to life. Having been given this book as a gift by a friend, I jumped into the reading, and was immediately captured by the artwork and stories written there within.
The incredible part about this book, was that it deepened the stories that I already knew. I was able to learn who the Dark Wanderer was, and what happened after the darkening of Tristram.
I love fantasy sto
Eri
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
DIABLO FANGIRL HERE, you've been warned.

After having I guess two home made tomes on Diablo at home, read all the relevant Blizzard-books I've dug into this 'game manual' AND I LOVED IT.

You want a nice history textbook? This is your choice.
You want a nice thing to look at? This is your choice. (Don't let me start on the drawing. This whole 'book' is illustrated so prettily in black and white way it makes me want to pick up pencil and rape a paper with it in attempt to copy some of these drawings
Adam
Dec 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This book is absolutely beautiful. It has excellent art and it has beautiful pages. They tried to make it look like an ancient text "hand written" by Decard Cane himself. It is certainly unrealistic to think they would do this completely, for example the type is printed like any other normal book, it is not hand written as it would have actually been in real life.

This book goes over some of the details of the lore in Diablo. It makes reference to a lot of the novels that have been written prior
Cale
Apr 09, 2013 rated it liked it
This was an interesting book to read on the bus, especially when the cover and interior illustrations are very demonic looking, and 70+-year-old women are sitting around me. That may have colored my impression a bit.

This isn't a novel, or a FAQ, or strategy guide, or anything like that. It's basically a cliff's note version of the history and geography of the world of the Diablo games. It does a good job setting the chronology of all of the games, although it is also written from the perspective
Melanie
Mar 29, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm one of those people who never had a PC that was good enough to play any games, so the only game from the series that I actually played was Diablo 3, which I did enjoy, but not as much as the people who played the entire trilogy and actually had gone through the expectation for the third game (and, of course, through the whole unicorns and happy clouds prank). So, I guess it's no news that this wasn't my favorite book. But I can see how people who actually enjoy the lore of the game will be c ...more
Michael Alexander Henke
May 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, art, video-games
This book is so good. There are two main components to it, the art which is continuously amazing, and the prose which is a blast to read. The book is written as if by Deckard Cain, and it does a good job of covering the entire Diablo universe. It gives the history leading up to the first game, and covers the events of both the first and second game. It gives information and back story on all the main characters, including the 7 evils and all the angels. It also gives some great info on the world ...more
Ivan Leong
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is truly amazing I would have given it a rating of 10/5 if I could. They successfully took an item out from the game and made it into an iconic book. Not only is it filled with the lore from the Diablo game but the artwork included and the book design is simply indulging. I feel immediately transported into the world of Diablo and Deckard Cain's voice murmuring as I read each lines.
I sincerely hope Blizzard keeps producing these fine editions for all their games. A simply MUST BUY ite
Glen
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A fun read with a deeper dive into the mythology of the video game I have loved for many years. It gives a good history of Deckard Cain's adventures and nightmares dealing with the Burning Hells and his ties to Tyreal the Angel of Justice who assisted humanity in ridding humanity of the Prime Evils.
Great illustrations are found throughout the book and it's quite emersive without becoming too complex. Good stuff for any fan to read that's obsessed with the world of Diablo.
Christopher Morrow
Apr 30, 2012 rated it liked it
It's great to bring you up to speed on the stories of Diablo and Diablo II, while giving a lot of interesting lore that sparks the imagination of the possibilities of what could happen in Diablo III. However, by itself, the storytelling is rushed and vague with a lot of "The heroes were nearly overcome, but they prevailed."

While I don't think many would turn to this book for a good fantasy story, if they did they'd be disappointed. Great for Diablo fans though.
Jakob Barnard
May 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2012
If you are a long time fan of the franchise - you will enjoy this book. It is set at a reasonable price and the artwork really makes it worth it. The text is little more than a great way to refresh yourself on Diablo lore in preparation for the upcoming release of Diablo 3... or just for fun.

Personally, its been a good 10 years since the last time I played a Diablo game - so enjoyed the recap of the world immensely.
Rafael
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: game-novel
Finally a book that is beautifully and exclusively designed to tell the story of Diablo's world. Maybe you have already read some of the novels (or manuals from games), nonetheless this is a great adition to your library. This book tells about the origins of the world, how angels and demons first appeared, their stories, and some details about the unfortunate people that live inside this world. At the end of the book, I still wanted to know more :)
Marius Masalar
A satisfying, comfortably in-depth exploration of one of the most defining game mythologies in the history of the medium. Reveals a number of illuminating facets and presents everything in the familiar tone of everyone's favourite narrator, Deckard 'stay awhile and listen' Cain.

Recommended for fans and game lore collectors.
Kim
May 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is definitely a must for any fan of the Diablo series. Great illustrations and full of details about the Sanctuary that you hope to learn more about with the upcoming release of Diablo III.
Roxanne
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is Goodreads win review. The other readers seem to know stuff about this book which I have not ever seen. As near as I can tell it is about the Eternal conflict between the High Heavens and the Burning Hells.
Suvojit
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book in many ways is a dream come true for Diablo fans, and fantasy lovers. Packed with gorgeous artworks, and a fantastic story to tag along, this keeps you hooked and yearning for more. A brilliant addition to any fantasy lover's collection.
Aaron
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
The writing isn't going to win any Pulitzer prizes but the artwork is as sumptuous and vivid as you'd expect from a Blizzard product. Some interesting lore pieces in here, even if they are a little hammily-written with cliches and redundancies. A beautiful book for fans of the game.

• Diablo III: Book of Tyrael
  • The Veiled Prophet (Diablo: The Sin War, #3)
  • Diablo III: The Order (Diablo, #8)
  • The Art of Blizzard Entertainment
  • Diablo III: Heroes Rise, Darkness Falls
  • Diablo: Demonsbane (Diablo, #0)
  • The Black Road (Diablo #2)
  • The Art of Mass Effect
  • The Art of the Mass Effect Universe
  • Devils' Due (StarCraft II, #2)
  • The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies  - Chronicles V: Art & Design
  • Heaven's Devils (StarCraft II, #1)
  • Icon
  • Borderlands: Unconquered

Diablo (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Diablo: Demonsbane (Diablo, #0)
  • Legacy of Blood (Diablo, #1)
  • The Black Road (Diablo #2)
  • The Kingdom of Shadow (Diablo, #3)
  • Moon of the Spider (Diablo, #4)
  • Birthright (Diablo: The Sin War, #1)
  • Scales of the Serpent (Diablo: The Sin War, #2)
  • The Veiled Prophet (Diablo: The Sin War, #3)
  • Diablo III: The Order (Diablo, #8)
  • Diablo III: Heroes Rise, Darkness Falls