Start by marking “In Tuscany” as Want to Read:
In Tuscany

In Tuscany

From the bestselling author whose memoirs Under the Sun and Bella Tuscany have captured the voluptuousness of Italian life comes a lavishly illustrated ode to the joys of Tuscany's people, food, landscapes, and art. In Tuscany celebrates the abundant pleasures of life in Italy as it is lived at home, at festivals, feasts, restaurants and markets, in the kitchen and on the ...more
Published October 31st 2000 by Broadway Books (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about In Tuscany, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Tuscany

Suzanne
Feb 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: travel
this is more of a travel guide book with beautiful photographs capturing the light and landscape of Tuscany. Not quite a coffee-table book and prettier than a standard travel guide, it falls between. Worth buying if you plan a visit or have visited and want a memento...but not at full price.
Garfield
Apr 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Though I could already visualize Tuscany through Frances Mayes written words, the book is definitely frosting on the cake. Now that I took it down from the shelf to add to my list here ,I will once again immerse myself in the pages and return to Tuscany.
Pam
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When we can't travel in reality, a well-written book takes us there in mind and spirit. I'm a fan of Frances Mayes's Under the Tuscan Sun and much enjoyed returning to Tuscany and spending some delightful hours exploring the piazzas, celebrations, family meals, churches, statues, mushrooms, olives, flowers...everything that makes Tuscany a beautiful, even sacred place to live. The only regret is that the audio can't show me the photos or recipes, so I must find a copy at the library.
Barb
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you have ever been to Tuscany you'll love this book. If you haven't you'll want to go.
Jeanne
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
ahhh beautiful writing, delightful recipes and magnificent photography
T
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Beautiful photos of a beautiful place
Skeptical
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Good
Dottie
First read this while in Belgie -- somewhere around 2001 maybe? Picked it up on a whim recently and read it right through again -- serndipitously encountering once again one of my favorite quotes as though for the first time! Mayes Tuscany talk speaks to me -- maybe because I naturally lean to the color palette encountered in her beloved Tuscan countryside and homes. Photography of amazing resonance. Recipes which make one's mouth water and her obvious love of her adopted city and country and th ...more
Tim
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another book in the style of ' Bringing Tuscany Home ' so my comments are the same for both.
Her books are a strange amalgamation of subjects.
They obviously confuse the Dewey system used by libraries in that this book and the one above, are in two different categories although almost identical in subject matters. She's also in a third category in the food section.
More a book to read, the recipes are almost incidental.
Anne
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a book for lovers of travel and Italian life. Based on Tuscany and villages around Cortona, where Frances Mayes and her husband have restored a house - Bramasole - (re her previous books "Under the Tuscan Sun" and "Bella Tuscany") this book focuses on the important aspects of Italian life - the Piazza - the Fiesta - the fields - the food. It isn't a recipe book but does contain some. The photography is just beautiful. A real "coffee table" book.
Emily
Jan 05, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a super quick read for food lovers and/or lovers of Italian culture. Having spent some time in Tuscany eating our way from village to village I really enjoyed all of the food descriptions. It is nice that Mayes explores more than just the food though and talks about the people and the Tuscan attitude. It felt like I had escaped back to the rolling hillside and sunny days of my favorite places in Tuscany while I read this.
K.M. Weiland
Nov 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a different take on Frances Mayes's always intoxicating view of Tuscany. I enjoyed getting to see photos of the places she's described in her previous books, although, as other reviewers have mentioned, I would have preferred less artistic blurriness and more detail. Still, this is yet another gorgeous book, full of gorgeous prose, celebrating a most gorgeous place. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Keith
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, italy
Beautiful photography paired with excellent narrative equals a very enjoyable read. What a great find for $2 at our library's used book sale. Oh, and don't read the recipes if you're hungry...you have been duly warned!!
Ann
Sep 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Let's one look at another culture and an American can blend into that culture. Plus it had recipes to be made. This book is a travelog and makes one want to go to Tuscany and spend more time than usual. This book a keeper.
FarmDotr
Aug 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
I cheated. I listened to the Author and her husband read it to me while I was driving to work.
Now I want to travel to Italy. I want to see and experience a piazza, center of town or the universe it seems.
David
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Almost a travel guide, I'm not sure why this book was written. It might as well be a journal entry of a foreigner in Italy. I'm of Italian ancestry--and so I want to like this. But, the whole thing is so foreign to me, that I can't relate. Perhaps I need to get to Tuscany, and then re-read?
Donna
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really like Frances Mayes' books. They transport me to a place I love. I can relate to her and her stories very well. I loved this book because of the stories, pictures, recipes. It has everything rolled up in one.
Bloomin’ChickJo
Dec 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: finished-2009, memoir
I "read" this book via the audio version and just did not like it. It was almost like listening to someone read from a travel guide that's too full of details. I usually love her books so perhaps reading it would have garnered a different reaction on my part. Very disappointed.
Pat Tucker
Nov 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
I like Mayes writing. Her descriptions of landscape and food in Tuscany delight me.
Brandee
May 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: travel, italy

Ellen knoud
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Anything by this author is a glimpse into life in Italy. Beautifully written as always,open the book and you are transported.
Susie
Jul 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, travel
This is a beautiful book. The pictures alone will have you dreaming of moving to Tuscany as soon as possible.
Kimberly
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and enchanting a story as ever. Between her prose, the pictures and recipes you feel Tuscany.
Karyn
Nov 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
BEAUTIFUL!
Andrea Lewis
Dec 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A virtual travel to Tuscany, Italy through the eyes of Frances Mayes was a delightful experience. The pictures were breathtaking and her words desciptive.
Jennifer Hughes
Mar 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful picture book.
Shonna Froebel
Because it is read by the author, who has a strong Southern accent, I found it weird at first.
Barbara McLaughlin
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fascinating read. And I adore the Tuscan recipes included. I have used them for years in my kitchen. Frances really captured the total essence of life in this magical land.
Susan Springer
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
From "Under the Tuscan Sun" author, this beautiful book lavishly
presents the people, food, landscapes, and art of Tuscany. The photos
are impressive.
Nicole
May 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books! Very vivid descriptions... it's like you're traveling with her and you will want to go to all of the places she describes!

• Too Much Tuscan Sun: Confessions of a Chianti Tour Guide
  • Vanilla Beans & Brodo: Real Life in the Hills of Tuscany
  • Living in a Foreign Language: A Memoir of Food, Wine, and Love in Italy
  • Pasquale's Nose: Idle Days in an Italian Town
  • Italian Days
  • Mediterranean Summer: A Season on France's Côte d'Azur and Italy's Costa Bella
  • From Here, You Can't See Paris: Seasons of a French Village and Its Restaurant
  • La Bella Lingua: My Love Affair with Italian, the World's Most Enchanting Language
  • Extra Virgin (Italy series, #1)
  • The Olive Farm: A Memoir of Life, Love, and Olive Oil in the South of France
  • Educating Alice: Adventures of a Curious Woman
  • I'll Never Be French (no matter what I do): Living in a Small Village in Brittany
Frances Mayes's new book is See You in the Piazza: New Places to Discover in Italy published by Crown. Her most recent novel is Women in Sunlight, published by Crown and available in paperback in spring 2019. With her husband, Edward Mayes she recently published The Tuscan Sun Cookbook. Every Day in Tuscany is the third volume in her bestselling Tuscany memoir series.

In addition to her
“Five tender apricots in a blue bowl, a brief and exact promise of things to come.” 30 likes