Start by marking “Stop Eating Your Heart Out: The 21-Day Program to Free Yourself from Emotional Eating” as Want to Read:

3.38  ·  Rating details ·  64 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Stop Eating Your Heart Out speaks to anyone's challenges with food, weight, and emotional eating, and then offers a multitude of effective self-help tools. As the author discloses her very personal struggle with food and out-of-control eating, she is telling the story of millions of others who use food to self-soothe. The book's focus, however, is on recovery. In her wisdo ...more
Published April 1st 2012 by Conari Press (first published March 15th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Stop Eating Your Heart Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stop Eating Your Heart Out

Melissa

Emotional eating. We all do it at one point or another. Sometimes we eat mindlessly, when we're bored or sitting in front of the TV. I know I'm guilty of it. I don't find it all that surprising that there were many instances where I could think of myself just sitting in front of the tv eating. One of the most ironic instances is me eating dinner and watching The Biggest Loser.

Now, I'm not overweight by any means. But, I have gained weight in the past year or so. Some people tell me that I was t
Julia
May 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Way too out there in the realm of questionable non-Christian spiritual energy sources (spirits?) for me. I did appreciate two phrase changes we could make for ourselves in any area of life: rather than saying "I should _____", it is more helpful to say "I could ______." And rather than saying "I have to ______", it is more helpful to say "I choose to________."
Deb
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
*Start filling your heart up*

Do you identify with any of these statements?

--I am preoccupied with food, eating, and weight.

--I am aware that my eating patterns are not normal.

--I eat when I am not physically hungry.

--I eat very little in pubic and binge in private.

--I eat to comfort myself and relieve distressing feelings.

--I tend to eat more when I am stressed, anxious, or depressed.

--Food has become my friend, my lover, or my drug of choice.

--I feel ashamed of myself due to the quantit
Heather
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book helps people deal with emotional eating and has a clear 21 day plan to equip a person with the tools necessary to break destructive eating patterns. When I received the book I was very excited to work with the tools so that I could better address and stop my emotional eating. Below is a summary of the book and some of my experiences.

As of March 23, 2012, I've read through the introduction and first eight days worth of the program outlined in the book. I'm an impatient reader. So, my or
Barb
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really would give this book 4.5 stars. The only reason is that some of it is based on OA/AA. I don't think that's bad in any way but some of the techniques is just not for me. But, that being said, overall I really liked this book and like the techniques she outlines to do to get over emotional eating. There is a good bit I can use in this book. Some I already heard before but there is plenty that just makes sense to overcoming your emotional/overeating addiction.

There are things in the book
Stacy
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Stop Eating Your Heart Out is a fantastic book and I wish it was around 20 years ago! Ms. Beck's book is full of useful resources and exercises for those addicted to food and emotional eating. The book includes accounts of others suffering from emotional eating and the author's personal journey, but I greatly appreciated the balance of that information with the daily exercises. Sometimes self-help books focus so much on stories about the author's clients and offer little concrete, straight forwa ...more
Cathleen
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was such a great non-fiction read. Everyone should read this book. At one point or another we all find ourselves using "food" as the cure. Thanks so much Meryl for writing this book and putting so much of your own personal journey into it. There was so much information to absorb that I will be taking time in the near future to re-read your book.

Again, thanks so much for sharing your journey.
Windy
Oct 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
While this book obviously addresses emotional eating, and the author herself has spent decades using and teaching the techniques described within, I feel that her tools are far more wide-reaching. Meryl Hershey Beck's compassion comes through the pages and makes this a very engaging read. I would imagine that a reader in the midst of struggles with emotional overeating would find this book very refreshing and a huge help to overcoming their disorder.
Andra
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved being able to "preview" this valuable offering while working on the copyediting and feel like I was healed in the process. Whether your relationship with food is an issue or not, there is much to be gained from reading and participating in the encouraging and effective program set forth in Meryl's book. What a real treat!
Travis Hutchins
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Good as a day-by-day program. More of a holistic type book, energy healing and that stuff. Didn't really have the depth that I was think it would.
Kris
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Good start, but got way too religious for me.
Lara
  • The Legend of Mickey Tussler
  • Peas and Thank You: Simple Meatless Meals the Whole Family Will Love
  • Christmas in Wine Country
  • Keeping Score ~ A Guide to Love and Relationships
  • Henrietta the Dragon Slayer (The Five Kingdoms, #1)
  • Sparks Off You
  • The Expat Diaries: Misfortune Cookie
  • Strange Places (Finding Tayna, #1)
  • Four in the Morning
  • Finding Compassion in China: A Bicycle Journey Into the Countryside
  • The Seeds of Beauty
  • Moonlight Dancer
  • Until My Soul Gets It Right (The Bibliophiles #2)
  • Elemental Magic (Elemental Magic, #1)
  • Sebastian's Poet
  • Citizen Scientists: Be a Part of Scientific Discovery from Your Own Backyard
Admired for her authenticity, Meryl Hershey Beck, a licensed professional clinical counselor, is appreciated and respected for her perseverance in doing the hardcore work and her clarity in finding no-kidding solutions to end the misery of addictions. She spent the first half of her life as a closet eater, gaining weight and feeling overwrought. Once she became active in 12 Step support groups, th ...more
More about Meryl Hershey Beck...