Start by marking “Sati” as Want to Read:
Sati

Sati

The first adult novel from a bestselling author of young adult fiction. Michael picks up a young hitch-hiker in the Arizona desert, bringing her home and letting her sleep on his couch. The next day, she talks about being God--and strange things begin to happen to everyone coming in contact with her.. . .

--SATI-- — I once knew this girl who thought she was God. — She didn'
Published July 15th 1991 by Tor Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Sati, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sati

Start your review of Sati
Jo
Aug 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I think this book is perfect after a big change in one's life, a change that leaves you lost, confused, and unsettled in your own skin. Sati was divine when I first read it (at 16) and now, a decade later, it continues to calm and direct me. Ten years and I still get lost on the same spiritual path. The message, of course, remains the same. It always has, but we humans have short memories. The great teachers of the world have never wavered. The book draws from the spiritual principles of all the ...more
Preeti
Mar 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
Reviewed in 2004.]

I would put this book on the same level as Siddhartha. It explores religion without really calling it religion, without it really being religion. Sati is a simple, blonde, blue-eyed woman who says she is God and that she has come to play in her world.

She doesn't want to teach, she doesn't want to have a following per se, but all she wants is for people to be happy. We exist to increase her joy, which is already infinite.

Whether or not she is God, her message is simple: through
Izzy
Sep 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
Eh. Preachy. I love me some Christopher Pike and re-read his stuff on the regular. Any reader of his work knows how spiritual it can get, even in the midst of some bizarre horror plot line. Sati seems like it might have been his labor of love, and Pike's style is still distinct. Yet it is slow to the point of boring (though blessedly short) and vague (almost as if he didn't want to get that far into the subject matter). In my opinion, this resulted in a novel that skirted the issues he REALLY wa ...more
Jill Furedy
I unboxed a bunch of old Pike and LJ Smith books from my teenage years and thought...I should reread these and see if they are still any good. Not that they would have expired and gone bad with age, but my opinion of them could have. I saw the republished Thirst and Remember Me but finally picked up the newly rereleased Sati to begin with. It's described as one of Pike's adult novels, which makes sense when most teenage books feature teenagers, not divorcees. But nothing in it was particularly " ...more
Sarah Schmitt
Dec 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books of all time. I've read it several times over the years and every time I get something different out of it. And every time I cry at the end.
Rachelle
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Sati is a beautiful, spiritual book, and I highly recommend it for everyone, but especially those starting out on their spiritual paths. I found this book to be perfect, but my experience of reading it might have been more enjoyable a few years ago, when the spiritual principles presented in it were newer to me. Still, Sati serves as a good reminder of these principles, and on top of that, it made me feel very calm and connected, which is always a miracle.
Pixi Jo
As a youngster I loved this book ten ways to Sunday!

On recently re-reading it I will admit that, while it's still a great story, it isn't the "Oh my gosh will you look at that!" type of read I thought it was.

I did love how Sati, god or not - don't bother me none, has a good message for folk, basically summed up as just live, be as good as you can be, and relax, life is what it is.

I'll admit though the ending to the story was some what predictable and I really was left with a massive need to eat
Ceecee
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
What can I say, I'm into Hindu/Buddhist/New Age-y concepts and that kind of stuff. Granted, Sati doesn't really tell us anything new, but the things she does tell us, are worth retelling.

"Why be optimistic about the future? Why be pessimistic? Why not see things as they are? The present is always filled with joy, and love...If you were to live fully in the moment for only a moment, the stress and strain of your entire life would be washed away."

“Enjoy your life. No curse hangs over you, nor di
lisa
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mine-mine-mine
I ended up grabbing Sati off the shelf, cos I haven't read it in a while and I knew I could put it down with no regrets if it didn't really catch my attention.

Of course, as always, it caught my attention and reminded me how much I love it, Christopher Pike, and the world in general.

It's one of those books that I can't reread all the time because it's slow-paced and character-driven and philosophical and I know it all like the back of my hand, but I still try to get through it once a year because
Renee
May 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
When I was in middle school, Christopher Pike was the more mature version of R.L. Stine...only girls who enjoyed being scared out of their wits read his books. My sister had this book, and I remember reading it expecting another scary horror twist. This is not your normal Christopher Pike book. This is a spiritual novel, only shelved in young adult or horror because bookstores want Pike fans to be able to find all of his books in one place. When I was a little kid trying to read this, a great de ...more
A.J.
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
A few things stuck in my craw:

- Sati (the character) is not preachy, but the narrative more than makes up for it. This story, Pike's first "adults only" novel, is about as subtle as an after-school special.

- The reader is never really made to connect with Sati, and is never given a character to sympathize with. Sati is too perfect. "Ordinary" characters are too villainous. The villains are - well, you get the point.

- Clearly we are meant to believe that Sati is telling the absolute truth about b
Angela Aubergine
another excellent read by Christopher Pike. this one will stay with me.
Starr Waddell
Oct 29, 2018 added it
Shelves: owned
This was my favorite book when I was a preteen. Although it has some insightful parts, I now know where my eating disorder came from. I think there's a new version, and I really hope it's been revised. It's kind of unbelievable what we have sat here and listened to people tell us about the world and ourselves all these years.
Stella
May 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Litttttttle preachy for my taste. When I read Christopher Pike, I want murder, mystery and dumb teenagers.
Iris Alvino
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should read this book. I absolutely loved it.
Michael
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The universe wanted me to read Sati. I know this because my first encounter with the book came as I was sitting on the floor at the bookstore where I work, boxing up young adult novels, when it slid out of the sorting cube above me and conked me on the head. Since this was the hardcover release, not the paperback, it made for a more lasting first impression but it got my attention.

I remembered Christopher Pike from my teenage years, when he and R.L. Stine took turns creeping me out with their br
Carrie (brightbeautifulthings)
I started a re-reading project earlier this year of books that make me feel most like myself. I’m not sure when or how Sati first fell into my hands. I read a lot of Christopher Pike growing up, mostly acquired from friends of my mom’s who loved garage saling and brought me boxes and boxes of books. Sati may have come from one of those as well–-certainly, my reading it was a natural offshoot of my love for his novels-–but I’m just not sure. My copy was hardcover and secondhand, but it didn’t loo ...more
Zina
Apr 05, 2010 rated it did not like it
dara
Dec 15, 2009 rated it it was ok
A truck driver picks up a beautiful young woman named Sati who claims to be God. She teaches the virtue of inner silence and seeking happiness and joy for oneself. Taking the best traits of religion, and discarding the less favorable ones,--such as the concept of Hell--the book presents a view of God that is easier to want to accept than many traditional religions, but remains just as unclear in its answers. It's an interesting premise, but despite being Christopher Pike's first adult fiction, i ...more
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Jan 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
I went through a Christopher Pike phase in middle school and high school. This one, however, was very different from the teens being chased by a murderer/monster, etc.

It deals with concepts of religion and faith, and for a jaded Catholic school kid, it was just what I was looking for. I can't say that it changed my world or beliefs or anything like that, but I appreciated reading someone else's take on religion that was not preachy or condescending.
Sara
Apr 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book deviated greatly from the norm of Pike's typical novels, exploring themes of religion and life and death rather than just life and death. It explores the metaphysical, and it a book meant, I believe, to make the reader contemplate the questions it raises more than it intends to entertain - though it certainly does do that as well.
Misty
I remember loving this book when I was a kid (I mean, I was a devoted Pike fan anyway, but this one was near the top for me), so when I saw this beautifully repackaged version, I figured I'd be picking it up sometime...Borders had it today for 50¢!
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
If you loved The OA you should read this, and if you loved this you should watch The OA. You’re welcome. 😉
Alissa
Jun 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
One of the earliest appearances of a Manic Pixie Dream Girl I have found (although I'm sure this trope was appearing in writings dating back to the dawn of time). In fact, there are A LOT of stock characters in this story: The Token Gay Guy ((view spoiler)), the Hater/Church Lady, The Homophobe, the Emo Main Character ((view spoiler)), the Best Friend ((view spoiler) ...more
Krista Wagner
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I grew up reading Pike's YA murder mysteries, so this read was quite different. The story explores a woman who claims to be God, which is odd in and of itself. Sati holds meetings throughout the novel where the reader is exposed to Mike, the MC, and a decent-sized cast of other characters, all enthralled by what she has to say for herself while many of those same characters challenging her. This is not a "just accept what she says, it must be true" as Mike and a majority of the characters carry ...more
Steven Foley
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
20 years later, I have re-read this book. In my senior year of high school this book was the largest factor in taking a critical look/judgement at organized religion. It made me question why an omnipotent being could not be omnigendered. It also had me question that what if God (or whatever you call It) came back as human form how would It's followers treat It? Would they even recognize It?

Now, as an adult, and 20 years of experiences later...I do not think my opinion has changed much, just mor
Connor Lynch
Apr 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
The story is about a young girl who says she is God, and her interactions with a group of working class Californians as she grows in influence, before becoming poisoned. She seems Buddhist in essence, although she also continues the tradition of Jesus and other religious figures, in being an enlightened person. It's hard to describe, but her teachings of inner silence and approaching life as a beautiful game to be played is endearing. The characters are also great: Michael is a truck driver stil ...more
KidlitUnderground
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I grew up on Christopher Pike's iconic YA horror novels* and discovered this gem at a used bookstore in college (early 00s). It's like Conversations with God + The Secret + The Celestine Prophesy rolled into a mesmerizing fiction book.

As others have said, it's an enjoyable read that's good grounding for someone going through a transition in life. I'm no mental health professional, but I assume this book is in most bibliotherapists' canon.

*My mom complained, but in my defense they were fed to m
Allison
As I've mentioned before Christopher Pike is one of my favorite authors. Sati was well written and unique but it didn't grab my attention like Thirst or The Season of Passage. I was a bit bored. I'm also very religious so it made me feel a bit uncomfortable (that's a personal matter though and shouldn't discourage you from reading it yourself.) I thought it was a nice story but rather short and again couldn't really hold my interest. Compared to his other works I was expecting more.
Anna
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-ve-read
This book was a really nice short read, but left me with a sense that I read a lot. It's a very simple story, with an amazing element added. Sati, this girl who the main character finds. I just found myself having an 'awakening' with all the profound things that 'Sati' would say. This book doesn't try to push religion in any way shape or form; rather just a simple message that we are all the same and God is within us all and that's all that's important. That is how we find peace. Good read!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Bad Place
  • Brother Odd (Odd Thomas, #3)
  • Party Games (Fear Street Relaunch, #1)
  • The Sparrow Sisters
  • Twilight Eyes
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: After Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Classic Crime)
  • The Witches of Cambridge
  • Shoot the Moon
  • The Exploits of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Hound of the Baskervilles
  • Agatha Christie's Secret Notebooks
Christopher Pike is the pseudonym of Kevin McFadden. He is a bestselling author of young adult and children's fiction who specializes in the thriller genre.

McFadden was born in New York but grew up in California where he stills lives in today. A college drop-out, he did factory work, painted houses and programm

News & Interviews

“A true teacher would never tell you what to do. But he would give you the knowledge with which you could decide what would be best for you to do.” 90 likes
“Enjoy your life. No curse hangs over you, nor did it ever. No devil chases after your soul. Sing and dance and be merry.” 39 likes